Profile for Ronald Pihlgren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ronald Pihlgren "Ronald Pihlgren" RSS Feed (Redmond, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Waging Heavy Peace Deluxe
Waging Heavy Peace Deluxe
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, June 24, 2014
I just finished my second time through Waging Heavy Peace. The first time I read it on my Kindle DX. This time I read it on my iPad. Much better! There is additional audio and video content that helps set the context for some of the stories doesn't show up on all Kindle readers (like my DX).

As to the book itself: yes there's no discernible structure and yes it's a hodgepodge of memories, current thoughts, and future plans. But reading it gave me insight into some of the reasons why Mr. Young does what he does. And although his actions have led to people suffering or being disappointed, it's not with the aim of being cruel. It's to serve his truth and his art. Sometimes there are conflicts between one's principles and making others happy that require hard decisions. I admire the man for standing up for his principles in the decisions he makes and the way he lives his life.

The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, September 16, 2013
I really liked this book a lot. Berkun is a great project leader (based on what I know from reading his first book) and a great writer. He takes those skills on a one year trip working for one of the most non-traditional companies and brings us along for the ride. In the bibliography, he mentions Soul of a New Machine but The Year Without Pants brought to my mind a different book from the 70's/80's: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Like that book, the chapters interweave Berkun's experiences during a personal journey; a trip, if you will; with lessons for us related to the team building and product development experiences he writes about. Five stars.

Manhasset Model #48 Sheet Music Stand
Manhasset Model #48 Sheet Music Stand
Price: $46.50
36 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting back to playing...., June 1, 2013
I remember these types of music stands from my high school band days. When I saw they were available on Amazon I ordered one. It's a solid music stand and I'm delighted to have one in my house.

Fender Performance Guitar Cable 10' Black
Fender Performance Guitar Cable 10' Black
Offered by Instrumentpro
Price: $11.40
37 used & new from $9.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Doing the job, June 1, 2013
When I decided to take my old bass out of the closet and start playing it again I found that I didn't have a cable. I ordered a different cable for my bass that was cheaper but when it came it was defective. The cable was cheap enough that it just wasn't worth my time to deal with sending it back but I was annoyed. I ordered this one and it arrived as expected, was not defective, and is now doing the job.

A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance
Price: $15.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Applying lean practices to personal work, December 23, 2012
Nice quick read about some of the key practices of lean and how to apply them and the ideas behind them to our personal work.

It's Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: The World's Best Selling Book
by Paul Arden
Price: $5.62
329 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Inspirational Read, July 5, 2010
This book has short, 2-page essays on a variety of topics related to being creative. I read the whole book in a couple of hours.

The essays themselves urge you to think differently about what it means to do your job (the assumption of the book is the job is advertising but the lessons apply pretty much anywhere). They urge things like seeking criticism, taking responsibility, not being afraid to fail, etc. All good things if you want to stand out from the crowd. All inspirational. And all things I will strive to remember when I head for work tomorrow.

El Corazon
El Corazon
Price: $7.16
133 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars The album I keep coming back to, April 17, 2010
This review is from: El Corazon (Audio CD)
I'm a big Steve Earle fan and I like all his albums but this is the one I come back to first when I want to hear some Steve Earle music. Every song is great and every song is different.

Starting and ending with softer acoustic pieces (Christmas in Washington and Ft. Worth Blues, respectively), the songs in between run the gamut between the raucous N.Y.C. (with the Supersuckers) and Here I Am to the muscular Taneytown (with Emmylou Harris) and If You Fall to the bluegrass I still carry you around (with the Del McCoury band) to the traditional (including the sound of vinyl record scratches at the end) country song, The Other Side of Town. The rest of the songs (Telephone Road, Somewhere Out There, You Know the Rest, Poison Lovers) are also great.

Super Crunchers: Why Thinking-by-Numbers Is the New Way to Be Smart
Super Crunchers: Why Thinking-by-Numbers Is the New Way to Be Smart
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to the Topic, December 19, 2008
I'm not a a statistics or data mining expert but reading this book made me realize that I should learn more about those topics. Ayres presents compelling stories that show the power of using actual data to help make better decisions. He does this in a way that's accessible to non-experts. For example, I like the way he presented standard deviation in a way that was easy to understand.

Another point I got from reading the book is that at this point in time using the tools the book describes are easier and more prevelant than at earlier times in history. Both computer hardware and the internet are making that so.

If you are already a "math head" or looking for specific how-to's this isn't the book for you. But I found it a great introduction to a topic I will be investigating in more detail in the future.

Artful Making: What Managers Need to Know About How Artists Work
Artful Making: What Managers Need to Know About How Artists Work
by Robert D. Austin
Price: $20.08
84 used & new from $1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Artful vs. Industrial, November 26, 2007
This book talks about what it terms Artful Making in comparison with what it terms Industrial Making. In the industrial making world, products are planned before their made. In the artful making world, products are allowed to emerge. The authors make the point that if you don't know exactly what you're going to build, the Artful approach makes more sense. In order to be successful, you need to drastically lower the cost of iterating (i.e., trying new stuff).

That sounds a lot like agile development and the authors draw on examples from that community (along with the theater community, Deming, and other examples that are from the emergent rather than planned side of the fence) to make their case.

The points made in this book resontated with me but I've been in many situations where the culture will be a barrier to implementing these ideas. The question I had after reading this book was how to get from where most of the organizations I've been exposed to are to the state this book proposes?

Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
by Johanna Rothman
Price: $19.13
81 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic Indeed..., June 22, 2007
I've read a few other project management books, including the excellent The Art of Project Management by Scott Berkun, my previous favorite. Berkun spent years as a project manager in one company, Microsoft, and his book is basically the Microsoft approach when it's done excellently.

Rothman is a project management consultant. She has seen many different companies trying many different project management lifecycles. I would guess that in most cases she doesn't get called in unless her customers are having problems. The fact that she's been doing this for years means that her work is valued by her customers.

This difference in experience can be seen comparing this book to Berkun's. Instead of outlining one way to do things, Rothman describes a continuum of project lifecycles from waterfall (what she calls "serial") to agile. She talks about when each is appropriate, things to watch out for in different contexts, and when the odds are against success in each kind of lifecycle.

Other topics that are explored in the book include schedule games and how to avoid them, how to manage meetings, how to integrate testing into your project, and others.

This is a great book. I'll continue to refer to it during my future projects.

Page: 1 | 2