Profile for Richard Schramm > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Schramm RSS Feed (Cincinnati, OH)

Page: 1 | 2
Satechi® Universal Car Holder & Mount for iPhone 6 Plus, 6, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, S6, S5, S4, S3, S2, Note 2, Note 3, Nexus S, HTC One X, S, Motorola Droid Razr HD, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus G on Windshield & Dashboard (Car Holder)
Offered by Satechi
Price: $29.99
11 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The best phone mount. Period., November 25, 2014
I have gone through many phone mount / holders from many companies for my iPhone over the years (pretty much all of the them in the Apple Store). I have a Jeep Wrangler with off road tire and the ride is, um, not smooth. And I take it off road. All of the phone mounts I have had vibrate or actually wiggle when the phone is attached, making the device difficult to read. Or the whole thing just falls off my windshield... that is less than ideal as well...

Enter the Satechi mount. I installed it on the windshield and it is rock solid. No movement, no vibration, no dropping into my lap. I can position it pretty much exactly how I want it. It also allows me to move from an iPhone 4, to 5, to 6, to 6+ without having to buy a new mount each time.

This is my second one. The only reason I had to replace the first is because I took it on a business trip and when I returned I had it sitting in a chair and my teenage daughter sat on it and broke the arm.

Highly recommended.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc)
Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc)
Price: $37.87
43 used & new from $25.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for little engineers, but needs more big blocks, November 11, 2012
We bought this for our little girl who loves to build things with wood blocks. This set of cardboard blocks was just thing to take it to the next (bigger) level and she loves them. The blocks were easy to put them together (though a bit time consuming) and while they don't stand up to being stepped on (it is cardboard after all) they seem very sturdy and they stay in brick shape.

My only issue is that there are a lot more of the small, yellow bricks than there are of the big red ones or medium blue ones. The small yellow ones are just a bit bigger than a box of butter while the red ones are shoe box size. Would be nice to have equal amounts of each.

Hope you find this helpful!

Speck Products SmartFlex Card Case for iPhone 5 & 5S  - Graphite Grey
Speck Products SmartFlex Card Case for iPhone 5 & 5S - Graphite Grey
Price: $22.30
7 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient, fits great, cards are accessible, but button cover too stiff, October 27, 2012
I bought this case when I purchased my iPhone 5 as I had a card carrier case from Casemate for my iPhone 4 that I really liked, but it was a bit hard to get the cards out. After using this for a couple weeks, here are my thoughts:

The Good:
- Case fits snugly but can be taken on and off relatively easily due to the flex design.
- Case has a nice bezel around the display so that it does protect the class when set face down.
- Cards slide in pretty easily (much more than my previous case)
- Cards have not slipped out yet and seem to stay secure
- I can put in my drivers license, ATM card, and cash in together which is VERY convenient

The Bad:
- The button covers are very stiff so pushing the top button or volume buttons, you really have to push down hard. If not for that, it would be 5 stars.

Overall: Very good and recommended!

Hope you find this helpful!

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy)
by Justin Cronin
309 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best post-apocalyptic fiction of this century, October 17, 2012
As an avid reader of post-apocalyptic fiction, I am very comfortable saying that Justin Cronin's epic Passage trilogy is easily the best example of this genre written in the current century. I was able to secure an advance readers edition of this book and was enthralled from the first page. Unlike the second book of many planned trilogies, The Twelve is much more than the sinew that connects the first and last installments and can easily stand on its own. With "The Twelve", Cronin is at the top of his game in this stunning sequel to the Passage.

Alternating between year 0 AV, 79 AV, and 97 AV and ranging from Colorado to Iowa to Texas and all points in between, Cronin neatly fills in the back story of the Passage as characters old and new struggle to survive against the viral hordes of the remaining Twelve original subjects. We witness the collapse of civilization and the governments attempts to forestall it in year 0 and are introduced to new pockets of survivors that struggle to rebuild and grow. The virals are not the only thing to fear in this brave new world...

The Passage and Twelve can stand proudly on any bookshelf next to The Stand, The Road, Swan Song, I am Legend, Lucifer's Hammer, On the Beach, and other leading examples of the genre.

I can't wait for Book 3!

Three Squares A Day With Occasional Torture
Three Squares A Day With Occasional Torture
by Julie Innis
Price: $15.00
32 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Dark, Quintessentially Quirky, October 4, 2012
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, this book is like a box of chocolates. Story by story and even page by page, you never quite know what you are about to consume - it could be sweet and fluffy or dark and bitter, but you are sure to find it richly flavored with Ms. Innis's unique style and quirky perspective on life and people and how they (dis)function.

This is not my normal fare - this collection was recommended to me by a friend. I read mostly fiction novels interspersed with occasional non-fiction tomes on business, bios, or humanities, and I continue return to "Three Squares" for dessert after each of those meals. These stories are a treat every time and I am eagerly awaiting her next course.

Highly recommended!

Jeep Steering Wheel Cover
Jeep Steering Wheel Cover
Price: $12.00
23 used & new from $11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but make sure it is dry, October 4, 2012
I bought this for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler as the original wheel started peeling up. It took some time to get on because it fits very snug which is a good thing. It provides a comfortable grip and does move around or anything. However, if it is damp (like from dew if you leave the top down at night), the surface seems to slough off a bit on your hand. I keep a rag in the car to wipe it down in the morning if necessary, and that seems to prevent the issue from occurring.

Hope this is helpful!

RND Apple Certified Cable for iPad, iPhone, iPod (6 feet/black)
RND Apple Certified Cable for iPad, iPhone, iPod (6 feet/black)
Offered by RND Power Solutions
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for iPhone, not for iPad 2, October 4, 2012
Purchased this so that I could charge my iPhone and iPad on my nightstand. This cord works fine for the iPhone, but when I plug in the iPad 2, the device says "Not Charging". Not sure what the difference is. I went back to Apple cable for the iPad. However, for my iPhone 4 this cable works fine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 5:52 PM PDT

The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, Unscented, 5 fl. oz.
The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, Unscented, 5 fl. oz.
Price: $23.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricy, but Great shaving cream, October 4, 2012
I shave my both my face and whole head, so I wanted some decent products to do so comfortably. I started off with e-shave, which I did like but it was expensive so I thought I would try some other "upscale" shave products of similar price to see if there were any I liked better. I tried the Musgo Real from Portugal as it had such rave reviews and was pretty disappointed (skip it). Did not like the scent and it was not a rich a cream as e-shave. I am not one of those guys who is obsessed with getting a "BBS" (baby butt smooth) shave, but I do want something that is good quality.

I tried the Art of Shave (first a trial size of the Sandalwood scent which I did not like the smell) then went with the unscented larger size as the cream itself seemed good.

My thoughts are:

Pros:
- No discernible scent
- Nice thick lather
- Need a very small amount for good coverage
- Provides a very smooth, comfortable shave
- Rinses clean away with no scent or residue on your skin

Cons:
- Kinda pricy, but so were the other options.

Overall, this is a really good shaving cream and I am equally happy with it as I am with the e-Shave.

NOTE: Do not bother with the Pre-Shave Oil. It does not add much to the shave quality, does have a scent (even the unscented version), and leaves a goopy residue.

Hope you found this helpful!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, but probably not necessary, October 4, 2012
I shave both my face and whole head, so I want decent shaving products to do it with. I did some research and learned about this whole shaving sub-culture where people are obsessed with "BBS" (baby butt smooth) shaves and use cotton balls to test for smoothness, blah, blah. I just want a good comfortable shave and skip all the other silliness.

I started using the e-Shave shaving cream and I liked it, but it was expensive so I figured I would check out some similar "upscale" shaving products and see what they did for me (including Musco Real from Portugal - meh, skip it).

One that I tried was Art of Shaving cream and pre-shave oil. I bought a small sample pack of the Sandalwood scent and was *not* impressed with the smell. I have been to India several times and I know Sandalwood, and this was not it. However, besides the scent, it seemed to good, so I purchased the larger version in unscented and got the oil as well (and a nice travel size brush).

Here are my thoughts on the oil:

Pros
- Goes on easily
- Provides a slightly smoother shave than without

Cons
- Even being unscented, it has a smell. To me it reminds me of pine trees and herbs. Its not all that strong, but it's definitely there.
- You will go through a bottle of it much faster than the cream
- Makes you hands feel kind of goopy and need a bunch of soap to wash it off with (it is oil, so just water won't cut it)

Overall, I think it does give you a slightly better shave, but not so much that it is worth the price and time. This is pretty much a gimmick by P&G to increase revenue as far as I am concerned and I would just skip it and go with a good shaving cream. The Art of Shave cream has been one of the better ones, so consider that an option.

Hope this was helpful!

Belkin Cinema Dot Folio Case / Cover with Stand for Apple iPad with Retina Display (4th Generation) & iPad 3 and iPad 2 (Dark Grey/Light Grey)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good case for iPad 2, October 4, 2012
I bought this to case replace the standard Apple smart cover I have had on my iPad2 since I bought it, and have been very pleased so far.

I use my iPad mostly at night in bed to read (Kindle app), watch movies / TV shows, surf the web, play games, and do eMail.

Pros
- Holds the iPad in place securely.
- Provides smart cover feature of auto-sleep / wake when opened and closed
- Closure flap flips behind and stays put via magnet when case is open
- Looks very nice - cool in a techy way, but still professional
- Multi-position in horizontal display
- Notched in the back to slide the cover into backwards, making secure for typing or pressing on the screen without collapsing
- Seems thick enough on both sides and corners to take some drops without hurting the iPad, though I have not dropped it and don't intend to try to on purpose.

Cons
- Would be nice if it had a stylus holder
- Would be nice if it could stand up in portrait orientation
- Would be nice if it had a slot(s) for business cards or paper
- A tad "thick" but you trade off protection for bulk.

Reported Issues
- Have not had any problem with auto-sleep/wake as others have reported.

Overall - nice product, have had no problems and it certainly protects more than the smart cover.

Hope this was helpful!