Profile for Hugh Jo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hugh Jo RSS Feed

Briel ES35AF Chamonix Pump Espresso Machine With Auto Espresso Flow
Briel ES35AF Chamonix Pump Espresso Machine With Auto Espresso Flow

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected too much for so little., December 29, 2002
I knew when we purchased this machine it would be a dream come true if it could last for any decent length of time. In the beginning it was great but as time past the machine seemed to have more difficulty pushing the water through the coffee. I've followed the directions to no avail, opening the steam valve over and over, turning the pump on and off, even releasing the filter holder to release the so called "air lock" condition this machine seems so prone to. Now it takes just as long as getting dressed and walking over to the local java house. They may boast a ten year warranty on the pump but the bottom line is the pump is just plain weak.
This machine has paid for itself but the fact remains...you get what you pay for. I am now contemplating our next espresso machine purchase.

Your Health, Your Choice: Your Complete Personal Guide to Wellness, Nutrition & Disease Prevention
by M. T. Morter
56 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Simple, Very Eye Opening!, November 17, 1999
This plus "God's Way to Ultimate Health",Lyman's "Mad Cowboy" started it all for me around January. A good friend recommended to read Malkmus after she beat breast cancer by changing her diet! I knew then I had to understand the link between diet and health. I wasn't satisfied to read just this book but many of the others listed in the bibliography and others on biological medicine and others relating to the acid/alkaline balance within our bodies. Morter's "Your Health, Your Choice" helps us to describe what's happening and clearly spells out what implications diet has on our lives. Armed with this info I've been able to help my mother gain control of her arthritis and hopefully get her off methotrexate for good. I've been able to help my mother in law lower her cholesterol since prior strokes have made this an issue. And my wife and I have lost the weight we couldn't seem to shake and have been able to improve all aspects of our health and physical well being. If you have any loved ones who's quality of life you want help improve this book is a great start.

Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
by Howard F. Lyman
153 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great American Hero!, November 17, 1999
"God's Way to Ultimate Health", started it all for me around January. A good friend recommended that author after she beat breast cancer by changing her diet! I knew then I had to understand the link between diet and health. I wasn't satisfied to read just one book but many of the others listed in the bibliography and others on biological medicine and others relating to the acid/alkaline balance within our bodies. Lyman's Mad Cowboy opens our eyes to the tragedy of the lives of those in the cattle industry. Plus reinforcing the importance of changing the way we eat. I was shocked by Lyman's writings and I admire his courage and intelligence. With this info I've been able to help my mother gain control of her arthritis and hopefully get her off methotrexate for good. I've been able to help my mother in law lower her cholesterol since prior strokes have made this an issue. And my wife and I have lost the weight we couldn't seem to shake and have been able to improve all aspects of our health and physical well being. If you have any loved ones who's quality of life you want help improve this book is a great start.

Recipes For Life From God's Garden
Recipes For Life From God's Garden
by Rhonda J. Malkmus
Edition: Spiral-bound
73 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Powerful, Convincing, Actually Works!, November 17, 1999
This and "God's Way to Ultimate Health", started it all for me around January. A good friend recommended this author after she beat breast cancer by changing her diet! I knew then I had to understand the link between diet and health. I wasn't satisfied to read just this book but many of the others listed in the bibliography and others on biological medicine and others relating to the acid/alkaline balance within our bodies. I've been able to help my mother gain control of her arthritis and hopefully get her off methotrexate for good. I've been able to help my mother in law lower her cholesterol since prior strokes have made this an issue. And my wife and I have lost the weight we couldn't seem to shake and have been able to improve all aspects of our health and physical well being. If you have any loved ones who's quality of life you want help improve this book is a great start.

Arthritis: What Works (An Arthritis Survey Publication)
Arthritis: What Works (An Arthritis Survey Publication)
by Dava Sobel
249 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars long, unscientific way to get to the point, September 29, 1999
compelling info on methotrexate. takes forever to get to the point. you don't really know what to do until page 240, "foods to avoid." alot of conflicting info with what most of the latest writing on biological medicine states. i refer to acid/alkaline relationship.

Spontaneous Healing: How to Discover and Enhance Your Body's Natural Ability to Maintain and Heal  Itself
Spontaneous Healing: How to Discover and Enhance Your Body's Natural Ability to Maintain and Heal Itself
by Andrew Weil
Price: $11.21
928 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars partial retraction, September 29, 1999
I made a comment about Weil's position on acid/alkaline condition in our bodies. I was wrong. I was refering to Sobel's and Klein's "Arthritis: What Works"

God's Way to Ultimate Health: A Common Sense Guide for Eliminating Sickness Through Nutrition
by George H. Malkmus
50 used & new from $10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Powerful, Convincing, Actually Works!, September 25, 1999
This started it all for me around January. A good friend recommended this book after she beat breast cancer by changing her diet! I knew then I had to understand the link between diet and health. I wasn't satisfied to read just this book but many of the others listed in the bibliography and others on biological medicine and others relating to the acid/alkaline balance within our bodies. I've been able to help my mother gain control of her arthritis and hopefully get her off methotrexate for good. I've been able to help my mother in law lower her cholesterol since prior strokes have made this an issue. And my wife and I have lost the weight we couldn't seem to shake and have been able to improve all aspects of our health and physical well being. If you have any loved ones who's quality of life you want help improve this book is a great start.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 3:06 PM PDT

by Andrew Weil
Price: $11.21
928 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars not very up to date and unwilling to really take any positio, September 25, 1999
If I were sick and desperate I would be left throughly bored and confused. I have been researching the latest in biological medicine texts for the last 6 months because of friends and family seem to be sick and dying all around me. I find Weil to say some constructive things but probably leaving the reader wondering why he said them at all. The biggest problem is he in one paragraph discounts what the cutting edge nutritionists seem to be saying about the alkaline/acid relationship. And these guys aren't filling their pages with anecdotes.

Guess What Came to Dinner: Parasites and Your Health
Guess What Came to Dinner: Parasites and Your Health
by Ann Louise Gittleman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
98 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing paranoia., September 23, 1999
This book contains some interesting statistics and information on the varying types of parasites. However I was disturbed by the glaring insensitivity to minorities, gays, and just about anyone not white and from America. This book seems to point the finger at anyone born abroad or perhaps has alternative sexual preferences. After trying to get past the offensiveness/paranoia it then became clear that all one has to do is to follow the ideas of the many other doctors who write simply about modifying our diets given the social and economic pressures to prevent such disease.

by George H. Malkmus
50 used & new from $10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars i submitted a review, May 18, 1999
but i was unable to go back and edit it. is it lost? I really hate it when that happens.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2012 2:09 PM PDT