Profile for laFlower* > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

laFlower* RSS Feed (Jacksonville, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Bubble Guppies: Nonny Says Relax Tee - Adult - White - Large
Bubble Guppies: Nonny Says Relax Tee - Adult - White - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Noni Says Relax Tee, December 15, 2013
My one year old LOVES the Bubble Guppies, so I got the shirt for my husband from our son for Christmas. I ordered this on a Saturday and was shocked that it had shipped that Sunday. I got it exactly two days after I ordered! Very great fabric, I love everything about it! Completely trust Amazon approved vendors.

Bizzy Bear: Pirate Adventure
Bizzy Bear: Pirate Adventure
by Benji Davies
Edition: Board book
Price: $5.35
58 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Son's Favorite Book, July 9, 2013
Reading is something I love to do, so for my baby shower my sister had a really great idea that instead of cards guests bring books. I originally had one Bizzy Bear book, but my 11 month old loves it so much I could recite it without looking at the pages... and decided I needed to get some more.

This is the ONLY book we have that he will actually sit down and listen to. I am sure it has something to do with the rhyming, colorful pictures and pop-ups it has on every other page. Not to mention they're very durable considering I have a child that breaks everything with his touch. The pages are really think and can be easily cleaned, so no need to worry about sticky messes.

Highly recommended children's book!

Yerba Prima Daily Fiber�, 625 mg, 180  Capsules
Yerba Prima Daily Fiber�, 625 mg, 180 Capsules
Offered by VitaminsHub
Price: $9.57
51 used & new from $6.24

1.0 out of 5 stars I've Had Better, August 17, 2011
I started taking these Daily Fiber pills because my diet is often out of wack, and I struggled to consume enough fiber. I was taking Fiber Laxatives because they were easier on my stomach than normal laxatives, but you can only take them safely for 1-2 weeks. I shopped around for some Fiber pills and came across these.

You are supposed to start by taking 1 pill and ultimately working up to 3 pills a day. Within my first week of taking 1 pill I noticed some things: first of all, I have never had heartburn in my entire life. I thought maybe it was something I was eating, although nothing had been out of the unusual. Then I started to get the nauseous feeling. The only way I can describe it is by comparing it to the feeling of taking a multi-vitamin on an empty stomach. Just a terrible, terrible feeling.

Because I did not notice any difference in my bowel movements (I actually went longer periods NOT going, explain that to me..) and I hadn't put two and two together that the pills were causing the problems, I upped my dosage to two a day. The problems became worse and would often keep me awake at night.

It took me a while, but one certain night that I was awake due to stomach pains I decided I would quit taking the pills because it was the only thing that had changed in my diet. Within a day of not taking the pills I immediently felt better. I do not know what it was, and maybe it was just me, but my body did not at all respond well to this pills. For the record, I do have a strong stomach that can handle a lot, but not these.

I am still shopping around for a daily fiber pill. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2012 1:34 PM PST

My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story
My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story
by Nathaniel R. Helms
63 used & new from $3.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read for Marines or Those Who Enjoy War Stories, August 17, 2011
I am going to completely honest when I say that I only came across this book because it is on the CMC Reading List. Having that said, I am certainly glad I did and completely understand why it is on Commandant Amos' reading list (for Lance Corporals.)

SgtMaj Kasal is the ideal Marine grunt. Almost all of his promotions were earned Meritoriously. The story focuses on his life before the Marine Corps, going through the ranks (and before OIF II) as well as his participation in OIF I before coming to what the story is ultimately about, OIF II the Battle of Fallujah.

One thing I started to notice is although I cannot completely relate to him about being a grunt, I can take pride in so many stories he provides the author. There are things that only a Marine would understand, which always amuses me. Also, I have worked for 1stSgt (now SgtMaj) Ruff in Camp Lejeune, and am currently under the command of Major General Toolan (whom was SgtMaj Kasal's Col. during OIF I.) It makes the story more personal to myself, as well as give me a lot more respect for these warriors that I have/had the pleasure of working under.

One complaint I have is this story focuses on how amazing SgtMaj Kasal is. Do not get me wrong at all, a war hero deserves insane amounts of respect. And I am certainly not saying SgtMaj Kasal does not deserves it, however isn't the story called "My Men Are My Heroes?" Of course the story calls on recollections from the Marines that have worked for and were with SgtMaj Kasal during Fallujah, but the story more focuses on how incredible he was, how amazing he was to his Marines and why he is a hero... I can't help myself by wondering, what about the other Marines? The ones that saved him, helped him, fought along with him, died for this country? Why aren't their stories more than a sentence long and a dedication page in the front of the novel? I understand that it is a story about SgtMaj Kasal and mostly his recollection, but I would've liked to know more of why these men are his heroes instead of why SgtMaj was the best 1stSgt ever.

Also, one statement that makes me laugh: "Marines consider their GySgt's Gods." What? I laughed when I read that. Do not get me wrong: I respect my GySgt very much. He has been doing this for 18 years, and knows a lot about the Marine Corps. He is a good man in general, and an especially good man to have on your side... but do I consider him a God? No. He is a GySgt. I look up to him, rely on his wisdom of the Corps, but I certainly do not consider him a God.

I would suggest this novel to all Marines. No, I take that back. Not just Marines, but all Americans. While you're sitting safe at home, this will give you a look at what sacrfices are military makes for your freedom.

Semper Fi!

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil, 5.1 Ounce
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil, 5.1 Ounce
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $11.20
27 used & new from $8.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Use For Minor Stretch Marks, July 25, 2011
I am 5'10" and grew very quickly.. because of this my skin produced these little devils that every woman hates: stretch marks. My stretch marks are not deep, they are light and not noticeable to most... but they certainly are to me, which was making me insecure as I grew older. I have always had them around my breasts, hips and thighs.

I have always read that it is difficult, if not impossible, to rid yourself of stretch marks. The therapy oil was on sale, so I figured I have nothing to lose.

The bottle recommends using this product two to three times a day. I use it once a day, after a shower. (I don't like to carry it anywhere with me because the cap comes off on mine all the time, completely destroying one of my shower bags.) I have been using it a month, and I have noticed that the scars are less noticeable. Completely gone? No. But they are less visible, which is all I could really ask for.

I do not think this would work if you have deep stretch marks from pregnancy or severe weight loss/gain. Maybe if you use this product religiously it could work, but I seriously doubt it. (Let's be honest, if this was the answer to all of our stretch mark problems it certainly would NOT cost $7.00 :)..)

I do use the oil to soften my hands as well. I like to use the Dead Sea Salt Scrub - All Natural - Coconut and Vanilla and put this on afterwards. I always get comments on how soft my hands are!

For pregnant woman I would suggest using their lotion, more for the convenience, and also I do not particularly like the feeling of putting clothes on after rubbing on oil. My sister sent me Palmer's Cocoa butter in all different sizes so that I could always carry it with me. I would rub it on my belly throughout the day.. Neither she nor I have any pregnancy scars.

Alba Botanica Unscented Very Emollient Body Lotion, 32 Ounce Bottle
Alba Botanica Unscented Very Emollient Body Lotion, 32 Ounce Bottle
Offered by Best Buy New York
Price: $12.19
35 used & new from $10.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, But Not In a Bad Way, July 25, 2011
I have been on an organic kick and read up on how certain ingredients can coat your skin, making it feel smooth, but not actually giving it moisture. I get really dry skin, especially in the desert. I would itch so badly that it was leaving scars on my skin..

I got the Alba Botanica in hopes of saving my skin. I can tell you that it will help with your moisture needs, HOWEVER I have two complaints.

The first being the consistency. It felt greasy, and is VERY runny. (Maybe it's just mine.) Because it feels greasy to me, I avoid using it on my face. And just remember, a little bit goes a long way. I had to learn this the hard way when I put the "normal" amount that I usually use with lotion on my legs, and used WAY too much. I had to keep finding places on my body to put the lotion!

The second is the smell of this lotion. I liked the fact that it states "unscented" but believe me, it is far from. And it's not a pleasant scent either. The only way that I can compare it to is Elmer's glue. I thought it wasn't that noticeable until my fiance asked me what the heck that smell was... So now, when I put it on, I make sure to do it after I spray my perfume on in hopes that it masks the smell.

Besides these complaints the product itself, for what it is intended for (moisturizing) does not disappoint. It contains aloe vera, which does not help all with their sunburns but it certain did wonders for mine. My arms get burnt pretty easily, and within a day I no longer have redness or peeling. Green tea extracts are used to "wake up" your skin, which this definitely does. After one days use my legs skin felt softer.

GNC WELLbeING be-Beautiful Beauty Enhancing Pak, 30 ea
GNC WELLbeING be-Beautiful Beauty Enhancing Pak, 30 ea

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, But What's In It?, July 20, 2011
I like to research the benefits of the vitamins that I take, so when I looked into purchasing the GNC WELLbeING be-BEAUTIFUL, I wanted to know what the heck I was taking.

I looked on GNC.com first, which offered me no information about the pills I was taking. One of the reviewers suggested visiting drugstore.com, which told me what was in the tablets but not what they do. With some extra time on my hands I did research to help me understand, so I am sharing it with ya'll. I am not going to include ALL of the ingredients because it is a laundry list, but here are some essential ones:

*be-Beautiful (1 Tablet)
-Biotin (3,000mcg): it's stated that taking between 5,000-7,500 mcg of daily Biotin MAY help with flimsy nails, hair loss, acne and diabetes. (Mind you it also states that the normal daily amount for an adult is 30mcg.) The pill in this product has 3,000mcg, but you can find biotin in foods such as cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots and mushrooms.

-L-Cysteine (200mg): Important in detoxification and in the formation of skin, as well as the repair of hair and nail tissue. It is used in producing antioxidants and protects the brain and liver from damage due to the consumption of alcohol, drugs and cigarette smoke. Other benefits include reducing the effects of aging on the body. It also promotes healing of severe burns, fat burning and helps build muscle.

-L-Methionine (50mg): is beneficial for treating liver disease, and is recommended for people who adhere to a vegetarian diet. It also benefits skin tone and elasticity, nails and hair. It is important for proper cardiovascular and muscular functions as well, through its role in the production of creatine.

-Green Tea Leaf Extract (10mg): Most commonly found in tea form. Benefits include cholesterol reduction, weight loss, increased immune function and a healthy cardiovascular system. It is mostly used for weight loss purposes, which you can purchase this pill alone and it contains 300mg of the extract, which may help you more than the 10mg this pill offers.

*Complexion Support Formula (1 tablet)
-Praventin (200mg): Natural protein complex derived from milk. Clinical studies have shown that it helps reduce blemishes, with results visible in as little as two weeks. It is an all-natural ingredient that promotes a healthier complexion by enhancing the body's natural defenses to assist in fighting bacteria, reducing redness from inflammation, and helping to repair damaged cells caused by blemishes.

-Aloe Vera Filet Extract Activaloe (100mg): All of the benefits of aloe vera, in pill form. Contains Vitamin B12, and has many minerals vital to the growth process and healthy function of all the body's systems.

-Lutemax 2020(tm) Lutein (10mg): Being studied on its benefits for eye health. Still being studied for it's benefits, but many regard this as the "future in eye care."

*Skin Elasticity Formula (2 tablet)
-Lumistor® L-Hydroxyproline (1,000 mg/per tablet):An Amino acid which is a primary constituent of collagen in skin, connective tissue and bones. It is essential in the proliferation of epidermal cells and moisture retention of skin. Basically: re-builds skin firmness and increases moisture.

*Healthy Skin Formula (1 tablet)
CONTAINS TWO FORMS OF OMEGA-6
-Linoleic Acid (350mg) & gamma-Linolenic Acid (45mg): They are necessary for human health but the body can' t make them -- you have to get them through food and vitamins. They help skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and maintain the reproductive system.

*Advanced Collagen Formula (1 tablet)
-Collagen (100mg): Significant moisture retainer and is appropriate for all skin types. It has been established that collagen increases hydration, improves skin feeling and decreases the degree and amount of wrinkles. It is said that consuming collagen in pill form does no affect to the skin. I can't find any thorough research as to why.. please let me know if you do have any information as to why.

All in all I found that the vitamins in be-Beautiful can seriously help with diabetes. Be a cure for it? Absolutely not. But the pills in it can give you a good guideline on vitamins and minerals that could prevent diabetes.

One thing I don't like is that there is not a multi-vitamin in this packet. I personally think it's because they can make more money if they sell them separate. I continue to take my beWhole vitamins twice a day, and take these in the morning. Also there are many different pills that vary in size. Some are small and some are quite large. If you have problems taking pills this product may be a problem for you.

I have been only taking this pack for a week now, with no noticeable difference. I don't have bad skin because I am on birth control, so I am looking for healthier hair. Normally I take just the be-beautiful pill alone, which is $19.99 a bottle. For not much more you can get this packet. (I also get e-mailed by GNC.com if there are any deals, and normally snag them up when they're cheaper.) If anything significant improvements happen I will let you know!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2012 9:59 AM PDT

Corelle Vive 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, Nouveau
Corelle Vive 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, Nouveau

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Beautiful Set, July 20, 2011
I have always loved Corelle dishes; they're stylish yet durable. I would definitely suggest these sets for those with a family that have children. Trust me, they can endure a lot of abuse.

I got this set when I moved into my first house. (Once again, thank you Mom!) I love the style on these, and like many have stated before they will receive lots and lots of compliments. I had red/black accents in my kitchen, so they fit in beautifully.

I do not have a dishwasher so I was these by hand. I do not advice using SOS pads on them, because I have noticed they do scratch. Other than that they are fade resistant, and remain just as beautiful as the day that I got them. I would suggest purchasing them on Corelle.com and receiving the two year warranty. I had one mug crack and they were quick and friendly when replacing it.

The only complaint I have is that I can't find anywhere to buy just one specific item. I would like to buy just the dinner plates and bowls, but not purchase another set.

I have dropped them many times, and they have survived my abuse. I would certainly recommend all of Corelle dishware; it's a little pricey, but certainly worth it.

Burt's Bees Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)
Burt's Bees Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars *Will Not Base My Rating on Who Shipped, Only the Product, July 20, 2011
*Please read before you order this "pack of two." The reason I ordered this shampoo (besides the fact that I LOVE Burt's Bees) is because it claims to come in "pack of two." This makes it easier for me, and also saves me a few bucks. I must admit that I was a bit infuriated when I get a box with one shampoo. I double checked to make sure it was from the same Amazon order that I made. I also noticed that on the bottle it states $7.99 for the one shampoo, so if I SOMEHOW misread the product description I seriously got ripped off with the price. I wrote to the individuals that shipped this item, and haven't gotten a response back. I will be sure to update this if I do because I do not want to ruin their reputation if this was just a mistake.

Update: If you have the same problem from this company, it's Varney's Bookstore, they are very helpful and notified me two days after sending me a message that they were sorry for the misunderstanding, and will be sending me another shampoo.

Now, on the product. I have seriously, seriously damaged hair. To make matters worse I cannot get hair cuts, so I really have to rely on my shampoo/hair conditioner to give me the moisture my hair was craving. I have been using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Shampoo/Conditioner for Long Hair since I have been over here, and am severely disappointed in how my hair is still dry and I can find so many split ends.

Finally I came across the Burt's Bees collection... what a lifesaver for me. I use to be SO insecure of my hair. I got so jealous when I looked at other girls hair that was always silky and not frizzy... I LOATHED having my fiance touch my hair.

One week after I started using Burt's Bees my fiance was playing with my hair and asked me what I had changed because it was so soft. If you have had hair like mine your whole life and never found anything that helped, this was the BIGGEST compliment he could've given me.. (Almost beats tell me "Yes babe, your butt does look good in those jeans.." haha..) I loved him being able to run his fingers through my hair, it was such an amazing feeling.

I also love the smell. It is very subtle, but just smells clean. It almost reminds me of when I go to the salon and get my hair dyed, but not nearly as strong.

Two things that you may have to get use to when using this product if this is your first organic product: First, the consistency is MUCH different than any other shampoo I have ever used. It feels more oily, and when I first started using it I thought I had to use a lot to cover my hair. I have heard a lot of people have problems with their hair becoming too greasy, but I am telling you if you find the amount that works for you your hair will not be greasy... at least if you have thick, curly hair like mine. I could completely understand if people with fine and thin hair would have this problem. And second the shampoo doesn't lather like all the shampoos I've ever used. This is NOT a bad thing, as I have read that the lather is actually the reason your hair was getting dried out. I was so used to having my shampoo be completely foamy, so this was unusual to me.

Architec The Gripper Bamboo Cutting Board, 10 by 14-Inch
Architec The Gripper Bamboo Cutting Board, 10 by 14-Inch
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Take It From a New Cook, July 20, 2011
I am new to the cooking word, so when I began I started with a 9.75" x 7.75" Glass Cutting Board, just like my father always used. I should've taken into account he hardly ever cooks because within a few months of enduring my abuse the top looked completely destroyed by knife cuts that were intended to slice the veggies/meat, but missed... or trying to simulate Rachael Ray and failing horribly.

My mother got me this cutting board from Bed, Bath and Beyond a little over a year ago. (It was on sale, so I couldn't tell you if the deal on here is better or not.) I completely fell in love.

I was scared that the bamboo would show the battle wounds of me attempting to cook, but it is very sturdy. There is not even a scratch, which is pretty amazing considering what I have put it through.

I also love the grippers at the bottom. With my old cutting board I would have to hold it in place, but with this one I can use both hands to focus on my cutting abilities. (Or lack thereof :)!)

The only thing that I had to get use to was the oiling of the bamboo. I used Joyce Chen Bamboo Wood Oil, 8 Ounces, which isn't that expensive and you don't have to use too much to get the job done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6