Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Barbara Monteiro > Reviews

Browse

Barbara Monteiro's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barbara Monteiro RSS Feed (New York City)

Page: 1 | 2
America Needs Talent: Attracting, Educating & Deploying the 21st-Century Workforce
by Jamie Merisotis
Price: $17.23
85 used & new from $9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Every Presidential Candidate Should Read This Book, November 3, 2015
I think Donald Trump should read this book. In fact, all the Presidential candidates should read it, but Trump more than anyone else since he sees immigrants as people to be deported. Merisotis explains that immigrants don't take away American jobs. Low-skilled workers raise the national income per person by $5400 yearly. In fact, college educated immigrants need enticements to stay and become U.S. citizens rather than return home. Although they represent only 5% of workers, they add 8% of value to the economy. Merisotis points to Australia as an example we can learn from. They use a point system for citizenship by prioritizing experience and college credentials. For example, a PhD equals 20 points, Master equals 15 and 8 years of employment equals 20 points. There are many wonderful ideas here. Should be on every policymaker's reading list.

All Hands On Deck: Navigating Your Team Through Crises, Getting Your Organization Unstuck, and Emerging Victorious
by Peter J. Boni
Price: $16.13
48 used & new from $0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars you don't have to take my word for how good this book is, July 8, 2015
Kirkus Reviews has just reviewed this book. Personally, I think the stories are fascinating. The beginning chapter with original research into the history of sea Captain Josiah Nickerson Knowles and how he managed to save his crew from two shipwrecks in the Pacific is something I won't forget. But, you don't have to take my word for how good this book is. Kirkus says: "Conveyed in interview form, these stories offer rare insight into the senior-leader mindset, detailing the unique struggles these individuals faced and demonstrating their ability to meet the challenges of leadership during trying times . . . These are the kinds of first-person, real-life war stories that leaders will lap up. . . there is much business intelligence of value here, especially for leaders in turnaround situations . . . a highly pertinent, applicable how-to for business leaders." Easy to read, entertaining at times, and full of practical advice. It should be required reading for anyone in the C-suite or who aspires to it.

Connection Culture: The Competitive Advantage of Shared Identity, Empathy, and Understanding at Work
by Michael Lee Stallard
Price: $22.44
72 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for me and my team, May 13, 2015
I know these authors and was very impressed with their use of neuroscience in the book. I do my best to use their lessons with my team every day. I'm hoping the organization where my husband works will embrace "Connection Culture."

Singletasking: Get More Done-One Thing at a Time
Singletasking: Get More Done-One Thing at a Time
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear read with a powerful message, May 8, 2015
I believe in Devora Zack's message and try to practice it everyday. This is a must book for those of us trying to keep a clear mind and be productive.

A Fighting Chance
A Fighting Chance
by Elizabeth Warren
Price: $14.44
203 used & new from $1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincingly explains how the bankers got away with criminal acts, May 14, 2014
This review is from: A Fighting Chance (Hardcover)
Both memoir as well as a manifesto for the middle class, this book blends the informal voice of Elizabeth Warren with her incredulous observations of how Washington works -- and doesn't. Wouldn't it be great to have both authors -- Geithner and Warren -- debate in a Town Hall meeting! Warren built her career with hard work and determination, all the way to the top of academia at Harvard. She shows how she needed the support of her entire family every step along the way, including an aunt who helped with childcare. She is remarkably honest in showing how she couldn't have done it without them. Unexpectedly she found herself championing the plight of those in bankruptcy and then those with insolvent mortgages. I won't forget her stories about Ted Kennedy and Barney Frank. We can only hope that if Hilary doesn't run, Elizabeth Warren will.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2014 3:15 PM PDT

Nuclear Nightmares: Securing the World Before It Is Too Late
Nuclear Nightmares: Securing the World Before It Is Too Late
by Joseph Cirincione
Price: $20.24
69 used & new from $0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I represent this author and this book, November 20, 2013
Did you know that over the next 10 years, maintaining nuclear warheads and their delivery systems will cost the U.S. taxpayer over $350 billion? This book is an important contribution to the growing scholarship on why the U.S. should take a close look at its lock-step, bureaucratic thinking concerning nuclear weapons. Cirincione estimates that we have 2,150 operational warheads, but 300 will destroy the planet. Shouldn't some of these programs and weapons be phased out and the money put to better use? With 35 pages of footnotes and written in easy to understand language, I highly recommend this book and I am proud to represent it on its publication launch.

Breaking New Ground: A Personal History
Breaking New Ground: A Personal History
by Lester R. Brown
Price: $20.20
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Why you should read this book by Lester Brown, November 20, 2013
If you want to understand the environmental movement and how one remarkable man's life has made a difference, then you need to ready Breaking New Ground. I now understand how the young man who started out as a tomato-farming entrepreneur became an international champion. I was struck by the strong response of the Chinese to your first article on "Who Will Feed China?" and how, as you say in the book, you felt like you were a character in a spy novel -- especially on that cruise with the wife of Huang Hua, the vice premier of China from 1976-1992. When she pulled from her pursue a clipping of the article with notes in Chinese refuting your claims, I'm sure you were wondering what would happen next. The other aspect of the book that opened my eyes to your position in the world is the number of personal friendships you have with publishers outside the U.S. Whether in France, Spain, Germany, China, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Turkey, Romania, Latin America, Norway or Sweden -- and more -- you have managed to get your messages out and make friends, too. I am honored to represent you and think anyone who is interested in climate change, food security and saving the planet should read this book.

The Business Solution to Poverty: Designing Products and Services for Three Billion New Customers
by Mal Warwick
Price: $19.42
96 used & new from $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm honored to represent this book, September 9, 2013
I am an independent book publicist who runs a boutique book pr firm in NYC with clients such as Paul Krugman, Lester Brown, Bill George, Ambassador Joe Wilson, Kevin Phillips and more. This book is not only the answer to poverty, but it completely puts to rest Jeffrey Sachs theory that poverty can be eradicated by donating money. $2.3 billion has been invested in programs to help the global poor over the last 60 years, and we have very little to show for it.

Government and philanthropy have their place, but what works best is helping develop sustainable businesses so poor people can earn their way out of poverty. This book is the primer on how to do that successfully, as Paul Polak has been the leader in this field for over 30 years.

Here's just one wonderful example of the author's thinking: "Coca-Cola sells aspirationally branded, carbonated sugar wataer for about 25 cents a bottle in villages all over India. In those same villages, 50% of the children are malnourished. What would happen to Coca-Cola if a well-financed Chinese company started selling an appealing and nutritious soft drink at a nickel a pop in millions of villages around the globe, backed up by world-class branding and marketing equal to Coke's" "

Please don't miss this book!

Tears of Mermaids: The Secret Story of Pearls
Tears of Mermaids: The Secret Story of Pearls
by Stephen G. Bloom
58 used & new from $2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just discovered this wonderful book, August 23, 2012
I just discovered this wonderful book when I was browsing in a Barnes & Noble store on Fifth Ave. I had no intention of buying a book on pearls, but the jacket copy was intriguing as were the advance quote. I'm writing to say that I have not be able to put this book down and will be finished with it tonight. I have a entirely new viewpoint of the pearls that I see in catalogs and in jewelry stores. For anyone interested in the history of pearls, how the pearl trade operates, the personalities that make the business work and what it is like to work on the "bottom rung" of the pearl industry, this is a great book. I wish I could have done publicity on it when it came out, as I run a boutique, independent book pr firm that only does non-fiction. Thank you for your research and this fascinating journey.

The Decision to Trust: How Leaders Create High-Trust Organizations
The Decision to Trust: How Leaders Create High-Trust Organizations
by Robert F. Hurley
Price: $20.90
71 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Trust has replaced Loyalty in the workplace, December 5, 2011
Since I've been reading business books my entire adult life both as a marketing director for non-fiction books at top publishing houses and as a independent book publicist, Robert Hurley's new book is the best I've read on the concept of trust and how to create it in the workplace. Many years ago The Loyalty Effect was a bestseller because loyalty is what we all want to cultivate -- with our clients, our vendors, our customers and our employees. Or so the thinking went in the 1990s. In the 2010s it is clear that loyalty is only possible in personal relationships -- no longer viable in business life. So, as was recently noted in the NYTimes, trust is what every executive needs to understand. How to create it and keep it going despite unprecedented changes in fortune for companies in the depressed economy. Read Hurley, or lose your edge.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 6:05 AM PST