Profile for Y. Zhou > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Y. Zhou RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
U BOARD SMART - Monitor Stand and Multi-function Board with built-in 3 Port USB 2.0
Offered by Karen Deals
Price: $49.99
8 used & new from $37.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, have some shortcuts., May 9, 2014
There's not much to say about this product. It does what it's suppose to. However, it is apparent they took some shortcuts here and there. The USB slots isn't powered so it can't charge your phone. The Phone dock doesn't have any protection in it. It's just straight plastic with short edges, I don't put my phone in it because it might scratch.

Other than that, it's a good product, makes my desk look more organized.

Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1)
Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1)
Price: $274.99
146 used & new from $208.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Android/iOS, May 9, 2014
I've used many iPads and Tablets before, I've even used a Windows 8 Samsung tablet, but this Venue is by far the best tablet I've ever used. Here is a list of pros and cons I found with the venue pro vs the other tablets I've used:

PROS:
-Form Factor. 8" hits the sweet spot. I figured this out ever since using the iPad Mini and how nice it felt vs a full 10" size.
-Build Quality. Thin and sturdy, grippy rubber and no plastic.
-Screen Quality. It's not 1080p but it is and IPS display. I wouldn't want a 1080p screen on this anyways because Windows 8 still has problem scaling in desktop mode and the Atom CPU/GPU probably wouldn't handle as fast on a full HD display.
-Full Windows. Don't complain about the lack of apps in the Windows Store because you have the entire collection of apps on the internet at your disposal.
-Gaming. I loaded Hearthstone and League of Legends on it. Both ran great!
-Battery Life. Seems to last all day as long as you're not gaming.
-MiniUSB. It uses the same charging cable as many other smartphones and tablets, which I think is a very big plus so I won't have to worry about different chargers.

CONS:
Bezel. After using the iPad mini and LG G Pad, I fell in love with their super thin bezels. The Venue's bezels aren't thick, but they aren't thin either.
Overheats. When playing long sessions of Hearthstone, the backside of the tablet starts heating up. One side of the tablet would be cool and one side would be warm.
Glitches. Sometimes when I leave it sleeping for a while, it wouldn't turn back on. I would have to hold the power button down until it shuts down, then press it again to power up.

Overall, this is a great tablet. My experience with iOS and Android tablets have been very disappointing because their phone counterparts can do the same things, and oftentimes I don't use the tablets because it's much more convenient to use my phone.

If you're someone who only wants to consume media (Netflix, youtube, ebooks, etc), then get an Android/iOS tablet, otherwise, go for this Venue.

Linksys E1200 Wireless-N300 Router
Linksys E1200 Wireless-N300 Router
Price: $37.80
94 used & new from $13.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst POS Router I've ever owned, February 12, 2014
If you have ANYONE living with you, don't get this router. When there are 2 connections, everyone lags like crazy. After hours of troubleshooting when it first came in, I finally got it working decently. But after a while, every night when my roommate came home, my speed crashes. Recently, after an update firmware, the ruined my entire setup and I had to redo all my research and setup. Wasted several nights on this router.

OK if you're living alone, don't get it if you're living with people.

ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls 2.5-Inch, 2-Pack
ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls 2.5-Inch, 2-Pack
Price: $6.70
65 used & new from $5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars About the only thing that's strong enough for my dog, December 19, 2013
I bought my dogs a lot of chew toys at home, but this is her favorite one by far. It is also the only one that seems to be able to last for at least a couple of months. The other ones normally gets destroyed within a few weeks. Great ball for fetching and general chewing.

100 Okamoto Crown Condoms, World Famous Super Thin and Sensitive Condom, for Extra Sensation
Offered by Green Web Inc
Price: $14.82
20 used & new from $8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Works., December 19, 2013
This is the only condom I use. I tried the other name-brands like Trojan, but they're too thick and takes away from the experience. I was at first hesitant by the thinness, fearing that it'll effect "quality control" aka sperm sipping through and ending my life, but so far I used maybe 500 of these and never got a single life ending sentence.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: $34.31
210 used & new from $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as I would hope, December 19, 2013
I bought this to use with my android phone, but it's not as useful as I thought. I pretty much solely use it for the youtube app since I don't have netflix or hulu. I would think Google would push out an update that allows me to stream my personal recorded pictures/videos onto the TV (like the way Apple TV works with iPhones), but it just doesn't have that functionality yet.

Other than that, it works as it should. Great if you have Netflix, but not very useful for me since I can only stream Youtube.

Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB Hub (9.5" cable) for iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, or any PC (HB-UMAC)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $14.99
29 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars hub won't stand correctly, December 19, 2013
Since there's no real heft to this hub, the hub will oftentimes stand awkwardly from the weight of the wires instead of laying flat on the desk like it's designed to do. I bought this because it matches my macbook's design, looks great, just won't stand correctly.

Fulcrum Silver LED Wireless Touch Lanterna Light
Fulcrum Silver LED Wireless Touch Lanterna Light
Price: $21.63
8 used & new from $16.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought, December 19, 2013
The lamp works fine, but I kind of thought it's one of those "touch anywhere metal" lamps that turns it on and off. It's actually just a small round "touch" button at the top of the lamp that controls it.

Overall, it has decent light, fairly light and small. It's pretty nice by my wireless everything computer setup.

Apple MacBook Pro ME864LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION)
Price: $1,199.00
27 used & new from $750.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best secondary machine for the vast majority of people, November 10, 2013
A little about myself:
I am a college senior and a very techie geek. I've went through ALOT of laptops and other electronics. I've used this guy for about a week now. It's been a very positive experience.

PROS:

1. Battery life. I took this guy to my 8 hour workplace, and after the entire day of light use, it STILL had around 40% left. The previous MacBooks usually would be around 5%.

2. Screen. Absolutely stunning. Less glare, more pixels. The stuff on the screen looks painted on. You may have experience the Retina display on an iPhone, but it's a different experience on a bigger screen.

3. Speed. i5 + SSD is no joke. It'll zip through everyday tasks like a champ.

4. Build quality. One of the best built laptops ever made, and I expect no less from Apple. I prefer this retina's build quality over the older macbook pros and airs because it doesn't make ANY sound. The other older models seems to have a slight creak, this one doesn't. They also made it slimmer and lighter than the 2012 retina. Also love the thinner bezels.

5. GPU. The integrated Iris 5100 graphics card is surprisingly powerful. It has a whole 1GB of VRAM. Still can't run the latest games with respectable FPS and texture settings, but it can handle more than an integrated graphics card should.

6. Trackpad. This is the #1 reason I prefer any Macbook made after 2009 over Windows laptops. The trackpad is just absolutely amazing. Even after all these years, I have not had one Windows laptop that can match the Mac's trackpad.

CONS:

1. Speakers. I wish Apple would improve the speakers on the 13" MacBooks, but then it might get even more expensive. Speakers just don't sound nice at all, but then again it is a very thin 13" laptop.

2. I feel like they should've added more USB ports instead of having 2 Thunderbolt ports.

CONCLUSION:

With the price drop, it's much more competitive. The price was the reason I didn't get the 2012 models, simply way overpriced. The new prices made me bite. If you are looking for a secondary computer to your main desktop, BUY THIS ONE. I prefer this macbook retina over the Air any day. With only a couple hundred more, you get a better screen, faster processor, better GPU, and better build quality (Thinner bezels). The Air does have more battery life but who really needs 13 hours of battery life?

I decided to sell mine because this is my ONLY computer. In the end, I overestimated how much I could store in the 128gb SSD. In this day and age, 128gb SSD is just too small if you're planning on using it as your main machine. So like I said, buy this if it's your SECONDARY machine. If it's your primary machine I would say go with a bigger hard drive.

All in all, I loved my time with it, but had to let it go because of the limited storage. I ended up getting an older model Macbook Pro with the traditional HDD, and immediately I disliked the screen that I once loved. Once you go Retina you do not go back! The best laptop I've ever had the pleasure of using.

EDIT:

Another con I found for Macs in general: External mouse in Mac OS feels weird. I'm used to gaming on Windows, and gaming on Mac just feels terrible, mostly because Macs uses a higher mouse acceleration setting...Probably the same reason why the trackpad feels so nice. Installing Windows in bootcamp is a must for gamers.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 2:44 PM PDT

Apple iPad Mini MD528LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black & Slate)
Apple iPad Mini MD528LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black & Slate)
Offered by Time To SAVE
Price: $271.99
245 used & new from $217.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Coming from Android, geek perspective., July 27, 2013
Hi

Before I give you the review, let me tell you about my background. I am a college student who is very into tech. I've owned many tablets, and even more phones. I buy them used and sell them used, so I swap between a lot of devices. It's a bad habit, I know, but I really want to find that perfect device.

Tablets I've owned:

-iPad 1,2,3
-Galaxy Tab 10.1
-Nexus 7 (2012)

I bought the iPad mini because I recently bought an iPhone 5 (from Nexus 4) to compliment my Macbook Air. I always went with Android devices because of how cheap they were, but I decided to splurge on an iOS/Mac ecosystem and see how well they sync together. I chose the iPad Mini because I think that the original iPads are too big. Also I like how thin the bezels are for the mini.

So now you know why I bought the mini, here are my list of Pros and Cons.

PROS:

- Display. Yes I know, it's not retina, but it is still an IPS display. I would take an IPS display with 720p over any other display with 1080p. It's vibrant, colors are sharp. A retina would make it even better, but for me it's not that big of a deal.

- Size and weight. So slim and light it's sexy. This is the main reason I picked this Mini over and iPad with retina. All the old iPads I've used, I never find myself using them often because it's tiring to hold them up for anything longer than a few minutes. WIth the mini, it's much easier.

- Build quality. The main reason I've always envied apple users, their products are always such beauties.

- iPad specific apps. Android tablet apps are just scaled up versions of phone apps, which makes the experience very dull. On the iPad, many apps have iPad versions, which uses the screen real-estate much better.

- Internet. Browsing the web in safari is much better experience than on an Android tablet. It's faster, smoother, and everything just fits on the screen.

CONS:

iTunes. The lack of file management in iOS. This is the MAIN reason I'm having such a frustrating time on the iPad. I like my iPhone, but dislike the iPad because of iTunes. It boils down to what I do on my iPhone vs what I do on my iPad. On the iPhone, I generally use it to go online, call/text, take pics, siri, youtube, email, etc. Very common stuff. On the iPad however, all I really do is read ebooks and watch videos. Given that, the reason I dislike the iPad is that it relies on iTunes way too much. I can't simply drag and drop video/ebook files into the ipad like I can do with any android device, I have to sync through iTunes. That itself is not that big of a deal, EXCEPT that iTunes only recognizes SOME of the very common files. For example, I have a lot of TV series saved on my Computer. Mostly all TV series files and some movie files are in AVI format, which is an extremely common video file type, but iTunes does not support it. If I wanted to get those files onto my iPad, I'd have to convert the entire collection from AVI to MP4 individually, then drag them into iTunes, then sync it up with my iPad.

Lightning. It's rare, and very expensive. Basically all the microUSB chargers I have are useless now. Not many people have the new 8pin lightning cords lying around, so you're SOL if you go out without your cord and your iPad dies on you. With android devices, there are microUSBs all over my house and in my car, so do most of my friends, so it's no worry. Also the lightning cords are very expensive. Often $20+. MicroUSBs, on the other hand, is often less than $2. The only clear advantage I can see of owning a lightning is that you can plug it in any side you want...big whoop.

Lack of stereo speakers. Since I watch videos on it all the time, I wished it had stereo speakers like the Nexus 10 and the new Nexus 7.

CONCLUSION:

So there's my reasons. I am not a fanboy of android nor apple, they both have their pros and cons. The iPad is still the best tablet to browse the web for, which is probably what a lot of you will do. But if you're like me and sees yourself watching videos on it and reading ebooks, and has a huge library saved in your computer, then you might want to get an android tablet.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 4:55 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4