Profile for Mark Lebowitz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Lebowitz "Mar4k" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Replacement UMPC, NetBook & MID Battery for Lenovo IdeaPad U160 Series, IdeaPad U160, IdeaPad U160-08945KU, IdeaPad U160-08945LU, IdeaPad U160-08945MU, [6 Cell, 10.80V,4400mAh,Li-ion],
Offered by EPS Battery Store
Price: $29.88
3 used & new from $29.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not well, December 8, 2014
I bought this battery for my daughter's Lenovo IdeaPad U160 subnotebook. It started off promisingly, but after a few months, its ability to hold a charge fell off, so it now only runs the computer for 45-60 minutes. That's disappointing, considering the original battery ran the computer for over 6 hours.

Unfortunately, Lenovo orphaned this model soon after I bought it - which is also disappointing, because the computer is less than 4 years old as I write this. Lenovo no longer sells batteries for it, and doesn't publish accurate specs that would make it simple for other companies to make compatible batteries. I've given up trying to find one that works well. I'm giving this one two stars because although it doesn't work well, it's probably about the best available for the IdeaPad U160.

Tingley Rubber 1400 10-Inch Rubber Overshoe with Button Boot, Large
Tingley Rubber 1400 10-Inch Rubber Overshoe with Button Boot, Large
Offered by Bay 15
Price: $27.60
15 used & new from $25.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Way To Keep Feet Dry During Wet Rides, December 8, 2014
I'm an all-weather cyclist, and I bought these overshoes to keep my feet dry during wet rides. A good rain jacket was easy enough to find, and it took a few experiments to find effective rain pants, but I finally got that covered (pun intended). The problem with good rain pants, though, is that the water that hits your legs has to go somewhere, and generally that means down. And what's down at the bottom of the rain pants? Why, your shoes and feet, of course! After riding just a few miles in steady rain, my shoes and socks would be soaked through, and I found it quite uncomfortable to sit, stand and walk around that way until I could get home and change. These overshoes fix the problem very nicely. Their tops are high enough to stay under the cuffs of my rain pants, and the overshoes are completely watertight, so the water just falls to the ground and my feet stay dry.

The overshoes slide on easily enough when dry. They can be a bit challenging to remove when wet, partly because my shoes have rubber soles as well, and partly because the rubber is just harder to grip when it's wet. The button closure helps a lot, because when you unbutton it, there's a fairly generous amount of space to get your foot in and out.

The rubber is thick, and since I mostly use them for cycling rather than walking, I expect to get many years out of them. Someone who uses these for walking can probably expect to get 2 or 3 years out of them, depending on the amount of rainy weather. The soles are extra thick and roughened to give you traction on wet sidewalks.

Dickies Men's Dri-tech Comfort Crew 6-pack Socks, White/Gray sole, 6-12 shoe size
Price: $12.60
2 used & new from $12.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Winter Socks, December 8, 2014
I'm an all-weather cyclist, and I bought these socks to keep my feet warm when the temperature is between 15F and 32F. The comfort translates roughly to my indoor activities because I'm not usually doing anything particularly athletic indoors, which means I'm not generating extra heat then, and my indoor environments are a bit drafty but the thermostats aren't cranked way up, so the feet can get a little chilly indoors when outdoor temperatures are in the 15F-32F range.

Above 32F, these socks are too warm for comfort. Below 15F, I add a pair of thermasilk socks as an outer layer (just for my outdoor cycling, not for indoor wear), and a pair of wind pants, and that keeps my feet comfortable down to about 5F in my regular shoes.

I've had these socks now for about 9 months. In addition to wearing well, they wash well and still look good.

Dickies Men's Original 874 Work Pant, Black, 34x28
Dickies Men's Original 874 Work Pant, Black, 34x28
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $19.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Work Pants that Don't Sacrifice Style, April 16, 2013
I went shopping for a pair of low-cost, casual black pants with a 34" waist and 28" inseam. I nearly always buy my pants online from either landsend.com or jcpenney.com because I'm short, not very good at hemming pants and don't want to have to pay for tailoring, and those two merchants normally have great choices in my size. This time, though, they both came up with too few choices for too much money, so I decided to see what I could find on amazon.com. The reviews on these pants generally looked good. I'd never bought "work pants" before, and the description conjured up images of warehouse uniform pants, but the price was low enough that it seemed worth a gamble. I am not at all disappointed.

The pants felt rather stiff when they arrived. They soften up as you wash and wear them, so some customers may want to put them through the washer and dryer a few times before wearing them for the first time. I've washed mine 4 or 5 times now, and they're still stiffer than my chinos are, but not unpleasantly so. They seem to be holding their color well, with no noticeable fading so far. They hold their shape well, too, and come out of the dryer wrinkle-free and ready to wear.

Other reviewers have said that the sizing on these pants runs small. I did not find this to be the case, but these are "regular" fit pants with very little stretch, so men with a little extra padding below the belt may find them a bit snug.

My one quibble is that the front pockets are a bit narrow and don't move around, so some guys might find their wallets or keys or pocket change a bit difficult to extract, or that the pockets press them against the wrong contours. (No, not THOSE contours! The pockets aren't far enough forward to have to worry about that...<g>)

Other reviewers report getting over two years of wear out of Dickies 874 pants. I've only had mine for about a month, so I can't comment on long-term wear, but the material certainly feels tough enough to last a long time. For what it's worth, I usually get about a year of wear from a pair of cotton or cotton/polyester chinos (at two wearings and one laundering per week), but Dickies 874s feel like they're made out of stronger material, so I anticipate that they will last longer.

Style-wise, Dickies 874s don't look much different from chinos, so you can get away with wearing them in "smart casual" situations.

Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror
Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror
Price: $12.72
53 used & new from $8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Mirror with Decent Optics, May 29, 2012
I bought this mirror for my daughter's mountain bike after having a good experience with the old school road bike version of the same mirror.

Like the road bike version, this mirror is made of a combination of high impact plastic and metal, with a well-formed plastic mirror that shows little optical distortion. It offers three adjustment points (at the handlebar, in the perpendicular part of the stem and behind the mirror) to accommodate just about any riding position. All but the handlebar adjustment are designed to be left loose enough to adjust while riding. I believe that these features would also allow the mirror to survive a crash or five.

Unlike the road bike version, this mirror is quick and simple to install, with well written instructions that include diagrams. The handlebar attachment is done using a quill assembly, similar to the way that a quill handlebar stem uses. Two different quill sizes are provided in the kit to accommodate most handlebar diameters. This method of attachment helps deter theft, as someone wanting to steal the mirror would need to come prepared with a set of Allen wrenches. (A correctly sized Allen key is included with the mirror, although a set of handyman's Allen wrenches, available in most hardware stores and home centers - and amazon.com, of course - makes the job easier.)

The one gripe I have is that the handlebar pivot for the mirror is the quill attachment, and it's the one bolt that's not designed to be left slightly loose for adjustment. (That's for two reasons: 1 - you don't want your mirror to shake loose and fall out, and 2 - you don't want to make it easy for some miscreant to swipe your mirror.) This means you can only make two of the three available adjustments while out riding. It also means that you have to loosen the mirror to fix things that are easiest to do with the bike turned upside down, such as fixing a flat while out for a ride or changing an inner tube. Because of this, I'm only giving the mirror four stars.

I would definitely recommend this mirror to others, though. The benefits of this mirror outweigh the one shortcoming.

Nirve Classic Bicycle Fender Set
Nirve Classic Bicycle Fender Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Like, Hard to Mount On Your Bike, May 6, 2012
I guarantee you'll love these fenders - once you manage to get them installed on your bike, anyway. There's a lot to like about them:

- They're all metal, which means they're durable and rigid; not at all floppy like plastic fenders can be.

- They give full coverage, enough to not only keep you dry, but you most likely won't need splash guards to protect your bottom bracket or cyclists behind you from road spray.

- They're wide enough to tolerate it if your wheels go moderately out of true, and mount high enough above the wheels to allow for oversize tires.

Of course, they do have the same disadvantages that caused a lot of us to take our metal fenders off of our bikes when we were kids: They can bend, dent, crush and rust, and once so damaged, they're difficult to fix. (Then again, plastic fenders can crack, split and break, and once so damaged they're usually impossible to fix.) They're also heavy: The stated shipping weight if these fenders is 3.3 pounds. I'm not sure what the actual weight is, but wouldn't be surprised if these fenders add a pound and a half to your bike. But if you're looking at fenders for your bike, you're probably not planning to race it anyway.

Now for the reason I took off a star: These fenders can be a major pain to install! If you aren't a professional bike mechanic, you'd be well-advised to have your local bike shop mount these fenders for you. Getting them on my daughter's bike called for just about every handyman skill I have, along with some creative thinking, power tools and hardware that wasn't included in the kit. It also helped a lot that this wasn't the first time I'd installed fenders, and also wasn't the first time I'd encountered challenges installing fenders. (But it WAS the worst time...)

The front went on fairly easily, although the bolts provided are only long enough if your bike has threaded fender stay bosses. My daughter's bike's front fork doesn't, so I had to find suitable substitutes in my own collection. Even with threaded bosses, you'll still need washers along with the bolts to hold the fender stays in place, and the kit doesn't provide enough of those.

Installing the rear fender was a 3-1/2 hour ordeal - easily the hardest bike accessory installation I have ever done, and I've done more than the average amateur bike wrencher. There's no way you'll get this rear fender on without removing the back wheel. For the most secure installation, you'll also need to remove the kickstand, if you have one, so that you can get the bottom bracket bridge bolt and nut in. Speaking of which, you'll most likely have to provide your own bolt and nut for this, because none of the bolts provided in the kit are long enough for today's typical, tubular bottom bracket bridges. While you're down there, you'd better check for sufficient fender clearance if your bike has a front derailleur. My daughter's does, and I had to cut away part of that end of the fender to ensure enough room for full front derailleur travel. The next problem was my daughter's bike's cantilever brakes. Some bike frames may offer enough room for the rear brake's transverse cable to make a triangle with the brake bridge that's tall and wide enough to go around the fender. My daughter's doesn't, so I needed to hacksaw slots for the cable to travel in. My daughter's bike's frame's rear triangle is a bit compressed top to bottom, and its seat stays don't line up with the indentations molded into the rear fender, so I also had to hacksaw away small sections out of the sides of the fender to fit it around the seat stays. Obviously, you can't go back and correct it if you cut metal wrong, so it was measure, check, measure, check until I was sure I had it right; then came the nuisance of hacksawing the metal. As the product description says, you have to drill a hole for the brake bridge bracket. The rear brace doesn't fit neatly into the fender, so it takes some effort to bolt that on - and once again, the provided screws and nuts don't include anything that's the right size for doing this. Unlike the front fork, my daughter's bike's rear dropouts have threaded accessory bosses, but their threads don't match those of the bolts in the kit, so once again, I had to search for bolts and nuts.

All this might have been easier if the fenders came with installation instructions. But they don't come with printed instructions, and there are none available for download.

If you're still inclined to try to install these fenders yourself after reading this, I'll leave you with one more observation: Despite the description's statement that these fenders fit most bicycles with 26" wheels, I suspect that they were designed mainly for retro cruisers with a shout out to old school mountain bikes. If yours is a more mainstream mountain bike, you can expect to encounter installation issues similar to the ones I did.

So, why take off only one star for such a difficult installation? Because you normally only install fenders once, and after that you just enjoy them. And once they're installed, these are really terrific fenders.

Giro Indicator Helmet (Pearl White/Turquoise Tallac)
Giro Indicator Helmet (Pearl White/Turquoise Tallac)
Offered by CYCLERY.INC
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine Helmet For the Money, May 6, 2012
This is my second Giro Indicator Sport helmet, and I would've rated my first one four stars.

The good things about it are that it's lightweight, provides a good compromise between coverage and ventilation, and it's easily adjustable, so most wearers should be able to find a good fit.

The reasons I took off the first star - and these applied to my old Giro Indicator Sport as well as my new one - are:

- The pre-mounted pads are thin and wear out within a couple of years of frequent riding. They're proprietary to this helmet and replacements are not available.

- This helmet comes with four extra pads, which are oval-shaped and adhesive-backed, presumably for people who need a slightly tighter fit. Unfortunately, it's not clear exactly where one is intended to stick them, and once you stick them on, they can't be moved.

- As at least one other reviewer mentioned, the plastic Y-clamps that merge the straps that run in front and in back of each ear into chin straps rest sideways instead of flat, which isn't as comfortable as it should be and takes some getting used to.

I find these issues minor and easy enough to live with. However, I took off an extra star for the helmet I just bought because its quick-adjust knob is hard to turn. The quick-adjust knob on my old Giro Indicator Sport was much easier to turn. As an all-season cyclist, I depend on that quick-adjust knob to easily add layers underneath the helmet in colder weather.

I've never actually crashed in a Giro Indicator Sport helmet, but with its CPSC certification, I would expect it to perform as well in a crash as any other CPSC certified helmet.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exact replacement for LG LMVM1945SB glass try, April 30, 2012
We needed a replacement glass tray for our LG LMVM1945SB over-the-stove microwave oven. This tray is an exact copy of the one that originally shipped with our microwave. It's a little pricey, but just what we needed, and it was packed so well that it probably would've gotten to us intact even if one of the delivery trucks carrying it had crashed.

Hitech - Replacement BT-909, P-P102 Cordless Phone Battery for Various Panasonic, Sony Phones, Including: KXTC1210, DCT736
Offered by TOPCHANCES
Price: $5.00
8 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, Got Here Fast, December 12, 2011
I bought 3 of these batteries for a Uniden 3-handset cordless phone system. I get over a week per handset per charge (your mileage will vary depending on how talkative you are <g>), and I've had them for about a month now.

The seller shipped them right away, so I got them just a few days after ordering. I was very pleased with the experience.

New Sidekick 2008 GSM Quadband phone for T-Mobile
New Sidekick 2008 GSM Quadband phone for T-Mobile

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok phone for those who don't use it a lot, September 7, 2011
I bought this phone for my 12-year-old daughter; the observations and opinions expressed in this review are hers.

WHAT SHE LIKES: Doesn't drop calls often compared with other T-Mobile phones; good sound quality, twist/flip screen is cool.

WHAT SHE DOESN'T LIKE: Bulky; doesn't ring or vibrate until at least 2 minutes after a text message has arrived, menu controls and navigation are confusing, obsolete data network, editing the speed dial number list is undocumented and counterintuitive.

The Sidekick is loaded with personalization features, but they're accessed in a complex, counterintuitive and poorly documented menu system. My daughter has had it for a couple months now, and still has trouble changing settings. The phone depends on T-Mobile's extinct Danger Network for obtaining the correct date and time, so it is necessary to manually change the time when traveling between time zones. The phone can work well for people who communicate mainly via text messaging (but note that the phone doesn't alert the user immediately when a message arrives) mostly call the same 8 (speed dial) numbers, but people who frequently have to dial new phone numbers will find the process cumbersome.

This Sidekick model was an early smartphone, with many text, e-mail, web and network-based features. However, with the demise of T-Mobile's Danger network, most of these features no longer work on this phone. The only features that still work are the basic voice, text and e-mail services supported by T-Mobile's standard GSM network.

Despite these drawbacks, it works well as an inexpensive phone for a pre-teenager.

Page: 1 | 2