Profile for Robert Potter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Potter RSS Feed (Lansing, IL)

Page: 1 | 2
San Francisco Bay Coffee French Roast, 80 OneCup Single Serve Cups
San Francisco Bay Coffee French Roast, 80 OneCup Single Serve Cups
Price: $29.00
28 used & new from $22.82

5.0 out of 5 stars I found my perfect daily k-cup coffee, June 25, 2014
- Strong, delicious coffee
- great price
- less waste than other K-cups
- comes in small packs in biodegradable bags
- came with plastic tub for keeping those remaining few cups fresh after said bags have been opened.
Perfect!

Zen Soup (Compass)
Zen Soup (Compass)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Depth in Quick Bits, May 30, 2013
Sometimes this is exactly the kind of book I want--quick, almost random, reading, but not shallow fluff.
I really like this author's style. He's not New Agey, nor does he limit himself to traditional Zen content.
The quote selections by topic are just excellent, but some of my favorite stuff is in the author's short topic introductions.
Great wisdom, not sappy, and lots of variety so you can find the kind of wisdom or inspiration you're looking for at particular times.

Kensington Folio Trio For iPad 4 with Retina Display, iPad 3 and iPad 2 (K39577US)
Offered by biddeal_co
Price: $69.56
2 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, January 17, 2013
Only been using it three days, so I can't yet speak for longevity, but it seems sturdy and of fairly high quality. I haven't found anything else that is this compact yet still has a three-ring binder (very small rings, but again, it's compact). Don't expect to put a lot of stuff in here besides your iPad, several sheets of paper, a couple pens, pencils, or styluses, and a few business cards. Oh, and a standard notepad in the back.

Reebok 75cm Stability Ball Kit with DVD & Mini Tool Box (ml)
Reebok 75cm Stability Ball Kit with DVD & Mini Tool Box (ml)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best $1,000 I ever spent!, November 26, 2012
Sure, I could buy the ball for $14.95, and a small toolbox for less than $20, but who wants the hassle? This is an amazing deal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 10:22 PM PST

Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
Price: $10.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Intentions, Not Great Delivery, February 5, 2012
Two stars might be too harsh for a book that delivers important critical thinking ideas, which this book does, but again and again I find that the book just misses the mark on certain things.
For example, the author is talking about how being good at finding causes for events was advantageous during our evolution, but the example he gives is about finding rocks that can be good for filing into arrowheads. I don't think that quite captures the idea. And just a few pages later, he's talking about the phenomenon of incredible coincidences being predicted by probability, and he discusses how if you were thinking about a dead relative at the moment you absentmindedly slowed down your driving and consequently just missed being involved in a deadly accident, many people would assume that was intervention by that relative. The author then says (not in these exact words--I don't have the text in front of me) that people coincidentally just miss accidents all the time. But he leaves out the part that you were thinking about the dead relative! The same probabilistic principle applies, but he missed making the point. Thus, those who aren't already persuaded by the argument would likely feel confirmed that the more likely explanation is that it was supernatural intervention.
These are just quick examples fresh in my mind. I felt repeatedly while reading that the book just needed more development at times. It's not a terrible book. It has lots of valuable tips for people who might not have put much thought into how to think. I just wanted it to be better.

Missile Defender
Missile Defender
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Missile Command, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Missile Defender (App)
Thanks Amazon! I loved Missile Command when I was a kid, but when I recently tried Atari's app, I found Missile Command to be a little less than fun. Missile Defender is a perfect MC ripoff for my Kindle Fire.

SCRABBLE
SCRABBLE
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed! Rating should be higher now, December 23, 2011
This review is from: SCRABBLE (App)
The ratings were rightly low when the game came with no single-player mode, but they responded to the complaints. It's updated, and everything is great!

Quell
Quell
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect combination of challenge and relaxation, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Quell (App)
well worth more than 99 cents! gently guides you through levels with tips and moody but calm new-agey music. no stress, but still have to keep thinking. I love it!

A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
by Paul Lockhart
Price: $9.59
74 used & new from $6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Read, May 11, 2009
Once in a while we read books that we just know are especially important, and that we know we will be thinking and talking about long after reading them. This book is one of them for me.

I am a returning adult student, and I am about to finish my training to become a math teacher. Having gone through my education program, my enthusiasm was just about completely drained, and I've been having trouble remembering why I ever wanted to become a math teacher in the first place. Why would anyone?

Paul Lockhart knows, and his book has reawakened my desire to help students discover the joy of mathematics. His argument is concise, and he makes it forcefully. His book is a joy to read, mainly because his understanding of the subject and his passion for it are clear in every page. He reinforces ideas I already had about how school sucks the life out of math (and all subjects), but he also challenges some of my opinions. I think this will happen with most people who read it.

Once he finishes making his argument about math education in about the first two-thirds of this short book, he devotes the remaining section to describing what he finds wonderful about mathematics itself. This section should make just about anyone want to become either a mathematician or a math teacher.

I want people to read the book for the specifics of his arguments, but I want to discuss one important point that he makes. Many people in math education claim that in order to make math more understandable and interesting to students, we need to show how practical it is and how it is used in everyday life. I've always felt like this idea was wrong, or at least limited in its usefulness in that regard. Well, Lockhart demolishes the idea, essentially claiming that practical uses are simply by-products of math, and that the real excitement and beauty of mathematics is in the abstract, imaginary, and creative world of mathematical ideas that have no specific connection to the everyday. By-products and applications can make math seem boring and secondary to the uses it serves. I agree with him--and much more now after having read his argument.

I honestly think just about everyone should read this book. Of course math teachers should, as should anybody involved in math education in any way. But I think people outside of math education should read it too. The specific mathematical ideas discussed in the book do not require a strong mathematical background, and I can't think of a better book that so concisely conveys the nature of the subject and the way it is viewed and misunderstood in society. I'm still not sure I agree with Lockhart's every point, but I love this book. (And I might agree with his every point after more thought and experience in the classroom.)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2011 11:33 AM PST

Dr. Math Explains Algebra: Learning Algebra Is Easy! Just Ask Dr. Math!
Dr. Math Explains Algebra: Learning Algebra Is Easy! Just Ask Dr. Math!
by The Math Forum Drexel University
Price: $11.04
60 used & new from $1.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Thorough Text, but Great Explanations, November 12, 2007
This book has very clear and concise explanations that give readers a real understanding of what's going as opposed to just teaching the steps of algebra. The material is very digestible, too. It's written in a pleasant, informal style with brief introductions to topics followed by question and answer format explanations.

My only caveat is that it's not, nor does it claim to be, a thorough guide to Algebra. It's more of a helpful supplement or a great springboard for a class or a more thorough book. This might deter some people who only only want to buy one book for self-study, but many of the explanations of basic concepts in this book are the clearest I've read.

As another reviewer said, this book is aimed at young teens, but it's great for anyone. It's not dumbed down or embarrassing for an adult to read. I'm a returning adult student studying to be a math teacher, and this book has helped me clarify a lot of my own ideas about how to teach this stuff.

Page: 1 | 2