Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Cactus > Reviews

Browse

Cactus' Profile

Customer Reviews: 257

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cactus RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Agadir Argan Oil Daily Shampoo + Conditioner "Combo Set" 12.4oz/366ml
Agadir Argan Oil Daily Shampoo + Conditioner "Combo Set" 12.4oz/366ml
Offered by The Best of Beauty
Price: $16.98
39 used & new from $16.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly the same quality as Moroccanoil, February 14, 2016
I have been using this shampoo and conditioner set for a while. It still does justice to my thick black hair with brown highlights! It smells all right (though I don’t find the scent strong), and there is a lot in the bottle to last me a long time. I recommend it to anyone who had been having trouble with frizzy or tangled hair. And if your hair is wavy/curly like mine, you should sometimes shower and wash your hair with this at night, towel dry your hair, apply some serum or leave in conditioner, and then let your hair finish air drying overnight on your pillow. For me, using Agadir, I get soft curls when I wake up in the morning!

I’ve tried Moroccanoil Shampoo and Conditioner. While that is a great duo too, Agadir is cheaper for the amount you get, and the quality is nearly the same.

Mayflash GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U and PC USB, 4 Port
Mayflash GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U and PC USB, 4 Port
Price: $14.65
109 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and economical, January 23, 2016
It's a very reasonable price, and worked well with the other video game technology. What more can you ask for?

McGraw-Hill Education 500 Business Environment and Concepts Questions for the CPA Exam (McGraw-Hill's 500 Questions)
by Darrel Surett
Price: $17.12
66 used & new from $8.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a supplement to your other prep materials, January 23, 2016
Using this book as a supplement to the rest of your CPA prep is a good idea. I have used the CPA 500 questions books for FAR and AUD as well, and I think the BEC 500+ questions were more in line with the material I saw on the day of my actual exam. This book adequately covers questions for all the critical sections that the AICPA has listed are on the exam:
-Operations Management
-Planning and Budgeting
-Financial Management
-Information Technology
-Economics
-Management of Risk
-Corporate Governance

I like that the questions are organized in this way. Having taken the test, I can assure you that corporate governance and information technology are two big sections that are heavily tested, so you should try to get your hands on all the practice questions you can get to be good in those areas. This book should help you do that.

As far as the structure of the questions go, this book does not mimic the actual test questions that well. A significant number of questions have 2 facts, and you have to decide whether one of them is correct/incorrect, or whether both or none are correct/incorrect. Even though I’ve taken 3 sections of the CPA exam already, I MIGHT have seen this format for one question so far across all 3 exams, if even that one question at all. So trust me when I say that this is not the question structure that will be tested on the exam. Still, if you’re trying out the questions in this book to test your knowledge, rather than your strategy, it shouldn’t matter. The 500+ questions will help you prepare and review the knowledge you should have gained in your business courses, as well as the other prep materials that you are using.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
DVD ~ Logan Lerman
Offered by HOLLYWOOD DEALS
Price: $6.17
157 used & new from $0.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Motion picture does not give the full picture, January 23, 2016
I like the casting and overall, the movie was worth watching once. But after having read the book, and getting somewhat emotionally invested, the movie was slightly disappointing. Of course, this is always what happens when filmmakers adapt books to the big screen—inevitably, some scenes get reduced and eliminated, for the sake of time and other issues, but I felt like there were at least a few critical parts from the book that weren’t included in the movie.

Compared to the movie, the novel had gotten much deeper about Charlie’s relationship with his family. He spent so many diary entries in the book talking about his parents’ backgrounds, his brother and his first year of college, and something very critical that happened regarding his sister and her relationship with her boyfriend. I think I’m disappointed most of all that the sister’s critical situation (I will leave it a mystery so as not to spoil it for the people who haven’t read the book) was not included in the movie at all. Other adolescents in the movie/novel had parents who were divorced, abusive, or addicted to alcohol, but according to the book, Charlie had a relatively positive relationship with his parents. Even when they had faced hardship in the past, his parents seemed very supportive of Charlie. His siblings were supportive too, whereas in most novels about teenagers there’s often some degree of sibling rivalry. I think these are important points to note in order to get a full picture of Charlie’s personality and growth during his freshman year. I saw some of that in the movie, but not enough. But I do think that they portrayed Aunt Helen adequately for us to understand why she was often in Charlie’s thoughts.

There were also some characteristics of Charlie that I felt could have easily been adapted from the book to the big screen, and it wouldn’t have costed that much more time for the filmmakers. The movie included some of Charlie’s first experiences with drugs, but did not include his smoking habit. And although Charlie in the movie was a reasonably good “wallflower”, he still did not seem quite as big of a “freak” as the book portrayed him to be. I only use the word “freak” because I recall in the book several times that other characters called him that.

Still a good movie! But maybe you should read the book first to get the full picture.

The Simpsons Cartoon Studio - CD-ROM - For Windows and Macintosh - Copyright 1996
13 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest CD-ROM game of the late 90s!, January 16, 2016
As far as functionality goes, I’m not sure if our modern-day computers will be able to work with this. For one thing, most of the newer laptops don’t even come with CD drives anymore, and even if you have one that does, this game might run slowly because it’s two decades old!

So why the 5-star rating? I loved this game as a kid, and felt it was underrated. I borrowed my friend’s copy all the time and had hours of fun making scenes. If I were to play it again, I’d still probably enjoy it for an hour or two every two weeks, despite all the ways my life has gotten busier since I last played. If you like “The Simpsons” and creativity, then this would be perfect for you. You basically create your own episodes using all the elements of the cartoon: choose your scenes, characters, movement, props, dialog, and even some other noises/music. There are plenty of elements to choose from, so you’ll make an endless number of combinations.

I really wish there was a newer version of this! If anyone is aware of one, please let me know.

KitchenAid Classic Flat Grater (Red)
KitchenAid Classic Flat Grater (Red)
Price: $8.99
10 used & new from $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars There are greater graters out there, January 16, 2016
Well, the price of the grater was reasonable; I’ll give it that. I was hoping to upgrade my cheese grating to this piece from Kitchenaid, because my old grater was getting a little rusty and had no handle. But then I used the handle for this product, and the grater has already cracked in one place. I used to use this grater about once a month, and after about 9 months or so, I got that crack. Thus, I ended up going back to the old cheese grater anyway, although I didn’t throw out the Kitchenaid grater for occasional use.

I think this grater cracked was because the handle isn’t sufficient to support the gadget, especially when you’re grating a solid block of cheese. Ideally, you could have someone else hold the grater from the other side, but then there should be two handles (one on each side) rather than one. The cheese grates very thin, by the way. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing depending on your cheesy preferences, but I thought I’d warn you if you like thickly grated cheese. Oh, and some of the cheese will stick to the grater. It typically would in any grater, but I think it’s a little stickier on this little thing than others.

Still, one way this Kitchenaid grater is better than my old cheese grater is that it’s good for zesting. I am getting into baking nowadays, and when you’re making a cheesecake, it’s a great idea to grate a little bit of lemon zest. Perhaps due to the size and structure of the grater, it works well as a zester. If you’re going to do more citrus fruit zesting than cheese grating, maybe you can try this product.

A Brief History of Chinese and Japanese Civilizations
A Brief History of Chinese and Japanese Civilizations
by Conrad Schirokauer
98 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives you the gist of East Asian history, January 16, 2016
This was a required textbook to read in my East Asian history class. I would say that for a class at the 200 level in undergrad, this book was definitely appropriate. The information is well organized, and the color images are crisp and a good supplement to the written content that accompanies them. Plus, after using this book for my class, I had an adequate understanding of major historical events and eras in Chinese and Japanese history, enough to be comfortable engaging in discussions with others who were interested in the subject.

It’s too bad that the book focuses on Japan and China for the most part, largely ignoring the other nations that were a part of East Asian history. Sure, Japan and China are integral, but let’s not overlook the importance of Korea, Mongolia post-Mongol empire, and other distinctive cultural groups.

Write It in Spanish
Write It in Spanish
by Christopher Kendris Ph.D.
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For reviewing Spanish, or supplementing intermediate level courses, September 29, 2015
This review is from: Write It in Spanish (Paperback)
After enthusiastically studying Spanish in high school and college, I find it a little difficult to find the opportunities to brush up on my skills post-graduation. This book is a great source for me and others like me! The workbook is a good review of material I had learned before, and I even find some phrases in here every now and then that I’ve never learned before.

If you’re using this for independent study rather than in a class, like I am, then I’d recommend trying to find a buddy to help motivate you and then practice communication with in this language. The workbook can serve as a good review, but if you’re learning Spanish for the first time, I’d say this would be an intermediate level book (2nd or 3rd year of high school, 200-level Spanish).

Even though this was published several years ago, I still found it very useful, and you probably will too!

March of the Penguins (Widescreen Edition)
March of the Penguins (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Morgan Freeman
Price: $7.35
501 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing narration, September 28, 2015
Morgan Freeman’s narration is not only perfectly compatible for a documentary about penguin colonies in Antarctica, it is a soothing voice that will make you relaxed so you can sleep right after, if you wish. For that reason, I recommend viewing this at the end of your day.

The documentary is informative, fascinating, and appropriate for most ages, though perhaps not the youngest ones. There is no fast-paced action, insane plot twists, and not even side commentary from experts as there are in many other documentaries, so if you’re looking for any of those features, look for another movie.

CHI Silk Infusion, 2 fl. oz
CHI Silk Infusion, 2 fl. oz
Price: $13.10
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality you can trust with your hair, September 28, 2015
After using this product for 5 years straight…I still wholeheartedly recommend it! I have introduced this product to fashion-conscious friends and they’ve loved it just as much! I use this every time I’m about to use a flat iron on my hair. If you use hair dryers, curling irons, or any other heat-based styling tools for your hair, you should use this serum as well. While there may be many leave-in heat protectants out on the market, this one definitely stands out in terms of quality. And the scent, in my opinion at least, is fragrant too.

My hair is thicker than average, so I use more than a quarter-sized amount. I start by treating my ends, and go up. It does not feel sticky and my hair seems to stay healthier, all else equal, than previously when I did not use heat protectants before straightening my hair.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20