Profile for Hmph > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 214

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hmph RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lee Daniels' The Butler
Lee Daniels' The Butler
DVD ~ Forest Whitaker
Offered by westcoastmedia
Price: $10.06
13 used & new from $6.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Great; slight disappointment that it was loosely tied to the real story, June 25, 2014
This review is from: Lee Daniels' The Butler (DVD)
This movie was enjoyable to watch in theaters, and if you have a passion for drama and American history, I think you will have a good time with The Butler. It reminded me a little of Forrest Gump in the sense that the protagonist is a participant in many iconic points in US history.

The action is plenty exciting, and there are some mellow parts too if you like some of that. This was the first time I saw Oprah on the big screen, and I felt that her acting was good, but Forest Whitaker was even better. I did connect with both her and her husband as they were parenting their two sons. Some points were pretty sad, but I was glad to see that the overall character of the parents did not degrade too much.

After I watched the movie, I went online and looked up the real story, and I was slightly disappointed. Yes, the story kept my attention through most of the movie, but it has very little connection to the events that occurred in real life. The real life butler, and his family, did not face as many dramatic challenges. His family wasn’t even the same! I can certainly understand that the dramatization was added in order to make the movie more interesting, but it’s too bad that this story is mostly fiction.

Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion, 32 Ounce
Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion, 32 Ounce
Price: $7.99
8 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I hardly go a day without it!, May 12, 2014
I’ve been using various Jergens moisturizers for a few years now, and it’s still my #1 go-to lotion. Even though I would consider myself quite young and not consider myself to have “very dry skin”, I still use this one because I suppose that it provides extra nourishment for even those of us with relatively normal skin. I often use it right after a shower, or after I wash my face, and my skin feels and looks smooth for most of the day as a result. Recently, I have been applying this on my hands and feet whenever they feel a little dry and so far I have been pleased with the results.

Jergens offers great value for the amount you spend. I’ve searched for all kinds of skin care products, and while there are others out there that seem to be of impeccable quality, they’re usually more expensive than Jergens, hence I stick with this baby. I hardly ever go a day without it!

Grand Canyon: National Parks Collection
Grand Canyon: National Parks Collection
DVD ~ National Geographic
Price: $14.96
30 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a travel video, but appropriate to view in school, May 12, 2014
Based on what I read on the back of the DVD cover, I was expecting to see parts of the canyon that the average visitor does not get to see in person. That being said, this is not a video meant to entice you to come visit the Grand Canyon for yourself, although it may achieve that objective anyway. The documentary, which is about 45 minutes long, is intended to educate the audience about environmental issues around this great natural beauty. It also discusses some Native American history of the area. It is appropriate for families as well as a middle school or high school audience.

My favorite scenes are the ones in which the scientists are riding the rapids, because the blue waters of the Colorado and the brownish red canyon rocks look so beautiful taken altogether. I was a little disappointed they did not show the North Rim as much, and I got a little bored somewhere in mid-video, but oh well. I learned that the California condors choke and die from silver coins thrown by silly tourists, and that ticks that ride on squirrels and other animals often carry the same disease that led to the Bubonic Plague.

Graduation
Graduation
Price: $7.39
95 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Still bumping to these beats, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Graduation (Audio CD)
Although I hold mixed feelings about the Kanye records that came afterward, this CD was among his best. My favorite songs in this collection are Stronger, Good Life, Can’t Tell Me Nothing, Everything I Am, and Flashing Lights. It’s good hip hop and rap, and though it includes some of the same drug and sexual references that any mainstream hip hop CD contains, I do feel that Kanye has a unique vibe and includes more in his songs. Nearly a decade later I am still bumping to these beats, and preferring this CD over many of the newer ones out there! If you like Kanye’s other material, then this CD surely will not disappoint!

500 Cookies: The Only Cookie Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Cooking (Sellers))
by Philippa Vanstone
100 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Come equipped with cookie smarts, April 8, 2014
If you’re truly in search of 500 unique cookie recipes that are really easy to understand, you might be disappointed with this book. Visually, I found it to be better than many other cookbooks. It’s small and thick, and easy to find if you were to place it in your bookshelf or kitchen. It has lots of beautiful color pictures, and all cookies have an image associated with it. I know pictures are not “absolutely necessary” when it comes to cooking, but I don’t like cookbooks that come without photos.

The cookies are delicious, and I would say there is a good variety of recipes in here for your cookie compendium. Some of the 500 recipes are just slight variations of each other, which is slightly a downer. I also think you need some baking experience before trying out these recipes, because some recipes seem too concise when I was yearning for a little more detail. So come prepared with some cookie smarts!

Thumbs Up! 100 Dollar Bill Toilet Roll
Thumbs Up! 100 Dollar Bill Toilet Roll
Price: $6.02
15 used & new from $3.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice gag! But so-so quality, February 8, 2014
The $100 toilet paper roll is good because it’s not costly at all, and it gets the job done. That is, it makes a good gag gift. I bought this for my coworker, who groans a lot that she feels underpaid, and it definitely put a smile on her face. She may not be able to wipe herself with real $100 bills, and the bills printed on this are larger than actual size, but these should still be fine!

As far as quality goes, the toilet paper could be better. I believe it was 2-ply, and I’ve seen worse quality toiler paper in public bathrooms, but then again, I’ve met much softer, better quality rolls as well. I’m guessing you got to this product page in the first place because you thought this novelty looked cool, not because of the quality of the toilet paper as it rubs on your skin. So as long as the former is your reason for buying this, go ahead and click "Add to Cart".

Nordic Ware Microwave 5 Minute Rectangular Brownie Pan
Nordic Ware Microwave 5 Minute Rectangular Brownie Pan
Offered by Sharp Gear
Price: $6.99
12 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, February 7, 2014
I would love to bake more, but I wish the oven (and the calories) were out of the mix. While I can’t do anything about the latter, this very inexpensive brownie pan should phase out the former. (I haven’t tried this pan in the oven, but just looking at the plastic material tells me it would not be a bright idea!)

Before I used it for the first time, I was in disbelief that some box could make me brownies in 5 minutes. But it really works! Of course microwaves vary in their strength, but as with oven cooking, using a toothpick to gauge the dessert’s readiness should help you here. Even if your microwaves causes you to bake for 6 minutes or so, you will still be done way earlier than you would had you used the oven. The added bonus is that the pan can be used to store brownies in a fridge or wherever, and it was a lot better to carry around than one of those metal pans that came out of the oven.

As long as your recipe is solid, the brownies that are produced will be solid and tasty as well. You can either use baking mix you find in grocery stores, or cook up a batch from scratch, and either way it should turn out the way you want it! The end product was highly delicious, as my friends can also attest. I felt like there was this very slight, but strange aftertaste, but hopefully that’s in my head or just because I added certain ingredients.

24 Game Single Digits
24 Game Single Digits
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $21.71
14 used & new from $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Play with small groups in the classroom, February 7, 2014
This review is from: 24 Game Single Digits (Toy)
For its intended use, the “24” game is a great supplement to any elementary or middle school education. The game provides varying levels of difficulty, so that the little mathematicians who play can keep enjoying the game as they practice more math in the classroom. 24 is a very versatile number, as you may imagine—there are many ways to reach 24 via adding, subtracting, multiplying, and even dividing without remainders. Likewise, 24 is a small enough number that this game can be played by students as young as in the 3rd grade.

Indeed, I would recommend this game for ages 8 and up, but I would also like to say that in order to have a fair game, students of various levels of mathematical ability should not play in the same game.

Teachers: Keep this little number in your stash of classroom games. Put students in groups, and give a sizable amount of cards to each group to play in their own circle.

Flight
Flight
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by Advantis Supplies
Price: $8.29
69 used & new from $1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it at least once, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Flight (DVD)
I'm a big fan of Denzel's movies, and this one did not disappoint me. Although I doubt a pilot like the one in this movie can fly through his mishaps in real life and still maintain his job, it was interesting to see a man so cunningly get his way so many times. His acting was nothing short of excellent, and any person viewing this will find themselves spiting the main character more and more as the movie progresses.

The ending was just slightly sappy, but I don't mind. It certainly didn't take away from the overall feel of the movie.

Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hollywood Treasure, January 2, 2014
I discovered this song at a party, and was glad to enjoy such an opportunity! This song introduced me to the wonderful world of dubstep, and Skrillex and Benny Benassi's compilations sound great placed together. You know you're getting a quality piece of music with this one.

Besides the catchy dubstep music in the background, I enjoy the lyrics, which compare the artist's object of interest with a movie. Lots of creative poetry thrown about. This one is a keeper for sure!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20