Profile for D. Burklund > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Burklund RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Arko Shaving Soap In Bowl, 90 Gram
Arko Shaving Soap In Bowl, 90 Gram
Price: $6.55
8 used & new from $2.03

3.0 out of 5 stars decent soap. good price. strong scent., April 24, 2015
First couple of times using it the lather was a bit insipid, but got much richer after the soap 'softened' a bit.
I like it, but the scent is like from an episode of MacGyver where, for some reason, dude needed to make a fragrance using only the items from the closet where your grandmother keeps her cleaning supplies. Mmmmm, furniture polish...

American Plating 150CN American Plating Metal Fife
American Plating 150CN American Plating Metal Fife
Offered by Brook Mays
Price: $12.09
8 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value. Bomb proof., April 24, 2015
I gave this item 5 stars. I bought it here for around $15. What I got was a solid instrument that plays better than I expected. Basically in tune (close enough in tune that I think breath adjustment and embouchure refinement is what's called for rather than a drastic cork adjustment). Yes, the cross fingered accidentals are a little out of tune--but this is a simple, six holed fife! Expecting precise chromatic performance from a diatonic instrument, especially a simple $15 one, is ridiculous. For someone who wants a great value and a folk instrument that will play simple tunes with a decent tone and someone not expecting a professional instrument, this is for you. Note: this plays in the key of C--it is not a traditional Bb instrument, and if you have written fife music you will either have to transpose from the traditional written keys (mostly D) or cross finger your C# and F#.
This thing will last a lifetime and not only will it hold up under conditions you would never take an expensive instrument (camping, for example), but if it is ever lost or destroyed, the replacement cost is less than your average delivery pizza...

Ed Garments Full Zip Crew Neck Sweater Cardigan Medium Navy
Ed Garments Full Zip Crew Neck Sweater Cardigan Medium Navy
Offered by PulseUniform
Price: $38.75

4.0 out of 5 stars nice sweater, February 24, 2015
Nice fit, sturdy without being bulky. Has a metal zipper, often times less expensive garments have cheap Nylon zippers so I was pleasantly surprised. I bought one in Navy and one in Black...but I can't really tell which is which.

Wigwam F4113 Tro Back Black, One Size
Wigwam F4113 Tro Back Black, One Size

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the price, February 24, 2015
This review is from: Tro Back Beanie (Misc.)
Stitching started coming apart almost immediately. Tro Back is right--I wanna tro it back to the seller.

Kala AMP-TWD 5-Watt 1x5" Tweed Battery Powered Ukulele Amplifier
Kala AMP-TWD 5-Watt 1x5" Tweed Battery Powered Ukulele Amplifier
Offered by Flipped Fashion
Price: $45.00
12 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent practice amp for the price, February 24, 2015
For the price, an excellent practice amp. I have another small amp that is arguably louder, but it can't be used with headphones unlike this Kala. I also like the tone control. I use this amp with some instruments with steel strings as well as Nylon, so the ability to control the higher rings of steel is nice. Looks nice too and is comfortably portable.

Walls Mens Western Lodge Flannel Shirt Plaid
Walls Mens Western Lodge Flannel Shirt Plaid
Offered by Outdoor Clothes Unlimited
Price: $22.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Snap buttons, August 14, 2014
First shirt had defective top snap button. Sent it back,replacement had two defective buttons. Never had a problem with Walls shirts before (own a few), but I will never buy another sight unseen.

Suzuki SCX-48 Chromatix Series Harmonica C 12 Hole
Suzuki SCX-48 Chromatix Series Harmonica C 12 Hole
Offered by The Instrument Store
Price: $142.00
41 used & new from $102.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Harp, June 22, 2014
For around $150 I got a fantastic chrom harp. Mine arrived in tune and well packaged. It's a nice solid instrument and feels comfortable on my mouth. The slide is reasonably quiet and the whole thing is pretty air tight. I would have been willing to spend quite a bit more for this kind of quality.

Hohner257 Chrometta 14 Harmonica, Key Of C Major
Hohner257 Chrometta 14 Harmonica, Key Of C Major
Price: $131.12
10 used & new from $129.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, May 27, 2014
When I first got this harmonica I didn't like it much, but I have come to like it quite a bit. The tone is pretty good and it is reasonably air tight. I like the extra half octave of bass notes, although I didn't use them much at first. I have grown to appreciate them.
Some things I don't like about this harp: it's often sold as an entry level chromatic with the point that it's easier to blow because of the wider channels. That's true, but it also never forces you to improve your embouchure, so if you ever upgrade (which I did) you will have to learn how to get good tone out of a smaller channel anyway. I also don't particularly like the feel of the stamped stainless steel cover plates--they seem kind of cheap. The slide also rattles more than my other chromatic. The plastic mouthpiece grid is also unpleasant--like rubbing your tongue along some plastic braces. All that said, it's still a good buy, I would recommend it for most people

Hybrid BANJO 5-String Spruce Sepele Front Soundhole Rare Unique CUSTOM
Hybrid BANJO 5-String Spruce Sepele Front Soundhole Rare Unique CUSTOM
Offered by EDM
Price: $169.99
3 used & new from $169.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a real instrument, December 19, 2012
This a very cheap, lousy sounding instrument. The one that I purchased had gouges in the fingerboard and marring underneath the gloss on the headstock. It came with a bridge that had uneven feet. The cosmetic issues could have been over looked and the floating bridge is the easiest thing to replace...but the sound is so terrible it's not worth it.

I did put a nice bridge on it and tuned it up (because of the nasty steel insert on the original bridge, I would have replaced it even if it were usable) but it still sounded horrible. There are very strident, treble overtones to every thing --even the 4th string. I had hoped for a woodier resonance than what my banjos have. I knew it would be a quiet instrument, but after hearing it, I realized that any volume is too much for this thing.

Keep in mind that I do own some quality instruments and in no way thought that I was getting something spectacular for under 200 bucks, I just wanted to play around with something that I figured might have an interesting tone. I thought it would be a risk and am so thankful there's a good return policy cuz back she goes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 7:29 AM PDT

Suzuki A-25F 25-Key Andes Recorder-Keyboard with Mouthpiece and Strap
Suzuki A-25F 25-Key Andes Recorder-Keyboard with Mouthpiece and Strap
Offered by JAPAN MIYAVI
Price: $140.95
18 used & new from $127.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting instrument, July 18, 2012
This is basically a series of pitch pipes attached to a piano style keyboard. It sounds somewhere between a whistle flute (like a tin whistle w/o a whole lot of chuff or maybe a soprano recorder) and pan pipes. If you play a melodica you will take to this instrument pretty easily, but there are some subtle differences in the technique needed to play this well. I notice that the tonal quality of notes do change with air pressure--whereas with my two melodicas (each of different manufacture) air pressure really only noticeably affects volume. So you could be playing a run of notes and hit something that sounds too shrill if there's too much pressure or kind of sour if not enough. It takes a bit more practice to keep your tones consistent. That said, it can be kind of neat to be able to do tonal affects.

I wish that this had a few more keys. With a tin whistle it's not a problem to play a tune and then do an octave higher on the next go around, but you can only do that with this if you are playing in C natural. If it even had just one more key, the high F#, I could play many of my favorite tunes in G or D. Although, really I just play all the tunes in the mid range but shift keys to change it up a little--it's not like I play in a group or anything.

Although the pipes are cased in ABS plastic, the tangents are aluminum. I don't know what the pipes are actually made of. It seems to be solidly built for what it is and the key action is excellent. It is really easy to do glissando effects, the action is so smooth and sensitive. It comes with a standard distance hose like you find on most melodicas and a nice crook mouthpiece that is mostly metal. This allows you to see the keyboard rather well when playing. The other accessory is the neck strap. It is basically a cord with a bracket that slides over a metal button on the back of the instrument. I would advise people to use that at your own risk (or rather, at the risk of damage to your $279 instrument) because the bracket seems to easily come undone. Unfortunately, this thing does not come with a case. I found a nice, inexpensive laptop/briefcase that fits the Andes 25F really well (with room for a couple of music books even).

This is a fun, interesting thing to play. I think if I weren't unexpectedly flush with cash at the time I bought this, though, I would have passed on it. I don't regret getting it at all though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2013 8:35 AM PST