Profile for Scott E. High > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 620

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott E. High RSS Feed (Punta Gorda, FL USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
STICKY HOLSTER Small - Medium Autos up to 3.3" barrel. IWB or Pocket (MD-1)
STICKY HOLSTER Small - Medium Autos up to 3.3" barrel. IWB or Pocket (MD-1)
Offered by Tactical Intent
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Transition Tool From An NAA Minigun To A Kahr CM9, May 3, 2015
Living in hot and humid Southwest Florida means that you get pretty darn hot and sweaty twelve months of the year. Since concealed carry became legal in Florida, I've been depending on a North American Arms .22 magnum stainless steel mini revolver for personal defense. Wearing shorts and any kind of shirt allows you to simply pocket the gun without any "printing" issues. No one know that you have it, which is the way it should be. Until now I've been reasonably happy carrying this five shot .22 magnum loaded with high velocity CCI segmented ammo. It is impervious to sweat, is very light weight, and if anything ever goes wrong with it NAA will fix it for you.

Now however our world seems a little more complicated. While most defense situations take place within three yards, my little .22 magnum is going to leave me out-gunned in capacity, stopping power, and potential range. With those thoughts in mind, I purchased a Springfield Armory XD Mod-2 Subcompact in .45 acp. It has everything that I was looking for but is considerably heavier. Rather than jump from one extreme to the other, I decided to buy a Sticky Holster for my Kahr CM9 (9mm) and work with that first to adjust to IWB carry with a heavier and bulkier pistol. I'm a big guy, so wearing a light fishing shirt untucked with cargo shorts is a common sight here. While I am able to carry my Kahr in my right front pocket without printing issues, it is a little more difficult to draw it smoothly and consistently. And since pocket carry won't work for my new SA .45, I have been experimenting with placement inside my waistband.

I've been using the Sticky Holster now for over a week and no one has noticed that I'm carrying it--not even my wife. It works exactly as it's supposed to and I have not yet had the holster come out when I've pulled the Kahr. So I've found this holster to work as advertised and I've learned to become comfortable with the extra weight and size. Using this holster has also allowed me to learn where to place my new Stealthgear Onyx IWB when I decide to step up to the SA .45 Subcompact. My thoughts were that I would ditch the Sticky Holster when the Stealthgear comes in, but it is such a good fit for me that I'll probably also use it in the future. It's nice when something works as advertised.

Palace of Treason: A Novel
Palace of Treason: A Novel
by Jason Matthews
Price: $18.38

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Espionage Novels Are Those Written By Someone Who Has Been In The System, May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No, I didn't read RED SPARROW, the first novel written by Jason Matthews--but after reading PALACE OF TREASON, I wish that I had. When exposed to new authors through the Vine program, the first thing that I do is read the reviews written on any preceding work(s). Surprisingly there are over 900 reviews written about RED SPARROW, and of those reviews fully 91.0% were either 3, 4, or 5 Stars--which left only 9.0% (rounded) from those who either didn't like it or hated it. It was pretty obvious that Mr. Matthews had made quite an impression with his first book.

The other reason that I selected this book to read and review was because of the author's background. There's nothing like reading a book by someone who has "talked the talk and walked the walk", especially in a clandestine industry that prides itself on secrecy and invisibility. Jason Matthews spent thirty-three years as an officer with the CIA in overseas locations, often as Chief of Station, the man in charge of local clandestine operations. How often do you get to read a novel written by someone with hands-on experience in the CIA? Part of the fun in reading this novel is the guess work involved in trying to figure out which scenarios are based on real events and which were simply the products of a fertile imagination.

One of the messages that I took away from this story is that the CIA has its own share of egotistic "boneheads" who have worked their way up the government ladder until they do something so utterly irresponsible that they are finally relieved of their positions. In the corporate world they would simply be fired as unproductive and inefficient managers, but in the civil service world it's common to see someone promoted out of a problem--only to become a bigger problem for someone else in another location. The major difference here is that in law enforcement agencies, having the wrong guy in charge can result in the unnecessary loss of life.

Mr. Matthews has written a highly entertaining and fast moving novel about CIA penetration of the new Russia, a vast paranoid empire controlled by the favored few who milk every dollar they can out of every situation they are involved in. There is no interaction or discussion with "the common man" as they seem to have no place in the Russian society other than as cogs in a vast machine intent on generating continuous profits to the very few who pull the strings. Unfortunately Mother Russian still has dreams of world domination and will sell anything and everything to those who would keep the world situation fluid and unstable, including those who would develop weapons grade material. Into this volatile mix the CIA is able to insert a former Russian agent to gather critical information and influence the government at its highest level. Danger, intrigue, sex, torture, and psychological manipulation. This novel has it all and is highly recommended.

Bahco 10-21-51 21-Inch Ergo Bow Saw
Bahco 10-21-51 21-Inch Ergo Bow Saw
Price: $21.49
6 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Bought This Bahco 21 Inch Bow Saw To Complement The 30 Inch One I Already Owned, April 30, 2015
I originally bought the 30 inch Bahco Ergo Bow Saw to work in the tight quarters of the wetlands surrounding my home in Southwest Florida. While I greatly appreciate the efficiency of chainsaws, the overgrown brush and slippery footing in the wetlands provide a recipe for disaster. One bad move with a chainsaw can ruin your life. Normally I use machetes and handsaws, but I needed something bigger with more leverage in order to take down and kill the Brazilian Pepper Trees--which grow like weeds and are hard to kill.

Even though the Bahco 30 inch saw was doing a great job for me, it was just a little too big to use in some areas. The 21 inch Bahco fit the bill perfectly. Now I simply cut the trunk of the tree to be killed at about knee height, drill a large hole straight down the remaining trunk, and pour in undiluted Round Up or similar foliage remover. Works like a charm on one of the hardest to kill invasives in Florida.

This is a great cost-effective tool that accomplishes a lot with relatively little effort. The only thing I've found that works better is a portable reciprocating saw. It's amazing what these little buggers can do now. It's not like your father's portable drill--it's more like the quality of a Tesla.

10 Pack - 12"x18" Silhouette Splatterburst Target - Instantly See Your Shots Burst Bright Florescent Yellow Upon Impact!
Offered by Splatterburst Targets LLC
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Eyes Are 65 Years Old--And So Are My Reflexes, April 30, 2015
It's really nice to see what you're looking at without having someone else point out the results or to have to use a spotting scope. While I use the smaller Splatterburst Targets to sight in new .22 rifles and pistols, I prefer the larger ones for heavier calibers. Yeah, they work well for long-range target shooting, but for me they are priceless for 7-15 yard practice with my concealed carry weapons. I use a similar drill when sighting in my new .22's, taking the initial shots at the large center mass target and then fine tuning my shots using different ammo manufacturers/configurations to find out which ammo performs best in which gun.

I used to think that a North American Arms .22 magnum revolver would be all that I'd need to defend myself, but slowly I've come around to having enough stopping power to either intimidate someone or put them down with one shot. At a minimum I'll carry a 9mm but I prefer a subcompact .45acp. The trick is to properly conceal a larger weapon so that it doesn't "print" so that someone notices it AND have the ability to easily pull it from concealment and put into service. Whatever weapon you choose, you need to practice being smooth and consistent to develop the efficiency and confidence to bring it into play effectively.

These Splatterburst targets allow you to immediately see what your results are each time you engage it. While shooting paper is not the same as defending yourself in a highly stressful situation, knowing your weapon and what you are capable of doing with it comes with a lot of practice.

NOTE: My apologies to those who might not think that concealed weapon carry is important. On the other hand, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

10 Pack - 12"x12" (5) Bullseye Splatter Target - Instantly See Your Shots Burst Bright Florescent Yellow Upon Impact!
Offered by Splatterburst Targets LLC
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Saw These For $15.00 Per Package At Two Gun Shows, April 30, 2015
I use these splatter targets whenever I have to sight in a new .22 rifle. Each rifle I buy has a threaded barrel so that I can attach an AAC suppressor and do the shooting in my backyard. Using a 4X scope or higher allows you to easily keep track of your hits without having to rely on another person or a spotting scope. Since no one has a clue as to what I'm doing, I can take the time to do a good job with each rig.

First off I use a boresighter on the larger center target to zero each gun in properly. When I'm satisfied with my efforts, I'll then use three bullets from a different manufacturer--or a different configuration from the same manufacturer--on each of the four smaller targets to determine which ammo each gun likes best. I usually have about eight different types of ammo on hand so it takes two of these splatter targets to get the job done.

When I put each gun back in the rack, I tape the bottom of each stock with the name of the ammo that seems to work best in that gun/scope combination. After a few days I'll take the newly sighted in guns back outside to try the different types of ammo once more--just to be sure. Since I'm able to do this in my own backyard it saves me a lot of time driving to/from the range and waiting out the other shooters to change targets. I've also used this method to break in some suppressed .22 pistols.

Great targets, easy to use and easy to see.

Saw Palmetto 540 mg 250 Caps by Swanson Premium
Saw Palmetto 540 mg 250 Caps by Swanson Premium
Offered by RLMJ Enterprises
Price: $11.69
8 used & new from $6.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Normally It's Impossible To Make A Comparison Between Two Supplements, April 30, 2015
In order to compare two different supplements head-to-head, the only thing that can change in your daily regimen is which of the two formulas of supplements you are taking. Everything else has to stay exactly the same, whether it's the food and beverages you consume, the other meds you might be taking, how much sleep you're getting--I'm sure that you get the gist of this. Previously I was taking Now Foods Saw Palmetto Extract which cost $14.98 for ninety 320 mg sofgels. In combination with Flomax and the avoidance of any dairy products, I was getting up only once a night to relieve myself. I switched over to these Swanson Premium Grade Whole Berry 540 mg supplements because I could buy 250 tablets for $11.80 and appeared to be getting a much higher dose of what I needed.

The combination of a higher dosage with more tablets for a much cheaper price (it would cost about $41.00 for 250 Now Foods Saw Palmetto Extract) on the surface appeared to be a great deal. However I neglected to compare the fact that Now Foods was 'saw palmetto extract' and Swanson was 'premium grade whole berry'. After taking the Swanson product for one week, I was getting up every two hours to relieve myself. That was disruptive and unacceptable so I started thinking about what I was doing differently. There was only one thing--I had switched my saw palmetto supplement.

So I agree with people that generally it is folly to try to compare two different supplements, but in this case all other conditions remained exactly the same. In fact I ordinarily wouldn't even write a review on supplements, but in this case I can very simply and truthfully tell anyone who is considering a saw palmetto supplement to spend the money and get the results you need.

Nesco FD-1040 1000-watt Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
Nesco FD-1040 1000-watt Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
Price: $101.97
68 used & new from $86.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Doesn't A 1,000 Watt Dehydrator Outperform A 700 Watt Dehydrator?, April 30, 2015
I originally bought a Nesco Square Tray Dehydrator so that I could make sweet potato treats for our dogs without having to pay $15.00 per pound at the vet. When I figured the cost of the dehydrator along with buying sweet potatoes at from 66-99 cents per pound, I'd save about $500.00 per year making my own. The Nesco Square Dehydrator cost about $70.00, was highly rated by reviewers, had 700 watts of power, generated internal temperatures of from 95-155 degrees, and was rated to use up to 20 trays. My initial few attempts using the four trays provided produced great results, so I bought four more trays (for a total of eight). Unfortunately the addition of four trays significantly lengthened the time it took to get all of the treats uniformly dried.

My choice then became to spend three times as much to try an Excalibur Dehydrator or to buy another Nesco unit with 1,000 watts of power for about $102.00. Since I would end up with two Nesco units for 2/3 the price of the Excalibur--and have 1,000 watts of power in the new unit--I went for the Nesco Gardenmaster. This unit generated internal temperatures of 90-160 degrees and was also rated for up to 20 trays. Learning my lesson before, I elected to simply add two trays to my purchase and then could compare the results of the two units as far as dehydrating time and output.

So I cut up 22 pounds of sweet potatoes and placed them evenly on six trays in each of the two dehydrators, fired up the units, and then went to bed. Twelve hours later I checked the results, fully expecting the 1,000 watt Gardenmaster to have finished its task earlier than the 700 watt Square Dehydrator. But it didn't. Neither one had finished the sweet potatoes to the desired crispiness. So I added another three hours and checked the results again. Still no difference. Now I reversed the trays in each machine to put the top trays on the bottom and the bottom trays on top and added another three hours. Finally after a total of eighteen hours the treats were done--in both machines.

There are any number of things that could cause this result: the shape of the machines, the actual wattage put out by each, the efficiency of the airflow in the square unit versus the round one, the thickness of the walls of the trays, etc. All I know is that I'm still satisfied with each of these Nesco units, but I was expecting a better result from the unit with higher power and costing $30.00 more. I think that from now on I will only use four trays in each dehydrator. Believing that each unit will effectively handle 20 trays of sweet potatoes in less than three days has to be a pipe dream.

Rust Oleum 280717 American Accents Ultra Cover 2X Spray Paint, Gloss Hunter Green, 12-Ounce
Price: $3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars I Bought Two Of These On Amazon And Two At Home Depot, April 30, 2015
I was a bit concerned when I read all the negative reviews concerning poor spray nozzles, spitting coverage, separation of colors, etc. written by prior reviewers. Since I've never in my relatively long life ever--and I mean NEVER--had problems with any Rust-Oleum product, I thought that I'd set up a little test to see if I could figure out what seemed to be going on. First off, I needed a good durable paint to spray on the green chain link fence that I have surrounding my 2.67 acres in Southwest Florida. The whole fence was replaced after Hurricane Charley in 2004 but after 11 years the color was severely fading. The combination of heat, humidity, and intense sunlight will challenge the best made products over time.

Before ordering a case of this spray paint to start this big project, I decided to buy two cans on this site and also two cans at Home Depot. I turned the cans upside down and marked each pair with an identifier, then turned them upright and moved them around like someone in a shell game would do to bait unwary tourists. After letting them sit for a day, I mixed them up once again and started my test. I followed the directions on the cans to make sure that the manufacturer's instructions were properly followed and then removed the simple caps carefully to avoid any damage to the spray nozzles. Since I had already marked foot long sections on one long horizontal piece of the fence, I was ready to go. I shook each can three times once again just prior to using it and then sprayed a separate one foot section with a single back and forth motion for each can. Then I placed each can on the ground below the section it was used on.

The next day I closely looked over each section and determined the following: EACH TEST SECTION WAS UNIFORMLY COVERED BY THE SPRAY CAN USED TO SPRAY IT. All of the separate coats were virtually identical. The four cans all worked properly, there was no splatter or uneven coverage, and each section had a nice glossy green color applied to it. So regardless where the cans were purchased, the results were identical. What does that say about all the negative reviews that I had read? Any number of things can cause the product to be damaged or produce poor results. The batches sold previously may have been produced under less than ideal conditions, they may have been stored improperly either at the factory or at the vendor(s), they may have been damaged either in shipping to the vendor(s) or ultimately to the customer(s), they may have been past their use by expiration date, or the cans/nozzles themselves may have been cheaply sourced and faulty.

My point to anyone with a faulty product purchased through Amazon would be to simply return the product for either an exchange or full refund. If you've ever purchased or leased a new car/truck and had a problem with it initially, you go back to the dealer and have them make it right. Amazon will help you do the same thing even though the product cost is far less. My point is that regardless how much a product might cost you, the manufacturer doesn't want you to be unhappy. In fact I've often found manufacturers to be pleased that someone took the time to let them know that something wasn't right with their product. So feel free to buy this product on Amazon and return it if not fully satisfied.

South Beach Diet Good To Go Bars, Extra Protein, Chocolate Chip, 1.34 Ounce, 5 Count (Pack of 8)
Price: $28.72
4 used & new from $28.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Go-To Snack To Curb Those Cravings, April 30, 2015
This review is for the Chocolate Chip Diet Good To Go Bars. You receive eight boxes with five bars in each box. These are the smaller bars weighing about 1.34 ounces each. Normally you can find these at your local supermarket but at a price of about $5.99-6.99 per box. The cost per box on this offer was $3.59 per box, a significant savings if you depend on these to help you avoid binging during the day (or at night).

My wife and I both love these! The chocolate chip flavor is smooth and tasty with just enough sweetness to satisfy your taste buds. They fill the bill of getting something in your stomach to stop the craving and are a "guilt free" way of doing it. Each bar has 150 calories with 45 calories from fat. There are 5 grams of dietary fiber, 7 grams of sugar, and 10 grams of protein. There is also 70 mg of potassium for those who need that particular supplement. Unfortunately 190 mg of sodium is included in each bar, a high enough content that those with hypertension need to be aware of it.

Of course you can't eat a handful of these and get the results you want, but even that would be better than having a double cheeseburger, fries and a milk shake. Or a pizza, stromboli, and a coke. Or whatever else might be your favorite cheat. Now I've made myself hungry. Fortunately I have eight boxes of these Good To Go Bars to kill the urge!

Kitchenaid Pour Over Coffee Maker, KCM0802 - Onyx Black
Kitchenaid Pour Over Coffee Maker, KCM0802 - Onyx Black

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good--But Is It Worth $150 More Than Our Mr. Coffee?????, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I drink a lot of coffee. We start with a pot (or two) in our $29.00 Mr. Coffee and then drift to our Keurig one-cupper throughout the day. So I was quite interested in ordering this good looking Kitchenaid Pour Over Coffee Maker and being able to compare it to our two well-used machines. To start off, this unit was well-packed and easy to remove from the box. A nice touch was that the movable parts of this machine were taped to prevent unwanted movement and potential breakage--and the tape was rolled at the end to make it easy to pull off.

Once out of the box, it appeared well-made and had a sort of commercial/industrial look to it, a nice visual addition to any counter top. This machine came with the normal detailed instruction manual and also a one page "cheat sheet" to get you started. Set up was simple and the directions were easy to follow. My technically challenged wife followed the "Quick Start Guide" and brewed the first pot. And I must say that the results were nicely brewed coffee that was smooth and flavorful.

Now for the sticky issues. Pouring water into the reservoir at the top of the machine is a bit tricky. The first time I tried to do it resulted in water spilling onto the counter top. You have to have the correct angle to avoid washing your counter unintentionally. The pot is limited to an eight cup capacity--probably the smallest eight cups I have ever seen. The brewing process is pretty slow, but intentionally so. But watch yourself around the hot plate, it is blistering hot to the touch and stays so for about thirty minutes.

Time will tell if the machine is durable and is able to continually make great coffee. But is there a noteworthy difference between this Kitchenaid Pour Over Coffee Maker and our Mr. Coffee? Is the $150.00 price difference between the two really worth it? It all boils down to the quality of the coffee and how one machine looks compared to the other. In my opinion, the Kitchenaid unit is not worth the price difference.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20