Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Mel R. Scurbica > Reviews

Browse

Mel R. Scurbica's Profile

Customer Reviews: 172

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mel R. Scurbica RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Cherry
Cherry
by Mary Karr
Price: $13.46
212 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious Second Person Narration Ruins This, July 16, 2016
This review is from: Cherry (Paperback)
I read and appreciated "Liar's Club." I was interested to read this one. I started reading this and once I realized it was written in the second person (it says "you" instead of "I"), I stopped reading and got my money back for the Kindle book. Thank god it was less than a week since I had downloaded it.

I don't understand why any writer would write in the second person. This might be the best book ever written but reading "you did this" and "you did that" is infuriating. Life's too short to deal with pretentious literary conceits.

Liar: A Memoir
Liar: A Memoir
by Rob Roberge
Price: $17.77
74 used & new from $9.96

1.0 out of 5 stars A Memoir Written in the Second Person?, July 12, 2016
This review is from: Liar: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I bought the Kindle version of this book expecting to like it. I thought I might even have known the author from my days in Boston, I knew a lot of local musicians during the same time period (no, my name isn't really Mel Scurbica).

But...for some reason, the author chose to write in the second person (using "you" instread of "I") a literary conceit that became so annoying, I was unable to read more than a few pages. I returned the book for a refund.

I understand this is a minority view but it's my experience. I don't really understand why the second person exists. Don't say "you" did this and "you" did that, because I didn't.

The Liars' Club: A Memoir (P.S. Book 1)
The Liars' Club: A Memoir (P.S. Book 1)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Memoir With Some Issues, July 10, 2016
I generally liked this memoir. The people who gave it one star seem to have problems. There a few issues that I have with the book. First, as at least one other reviewer stated, it needed a better editor who would separate the wheat from the chaff. Some of the pointless detail had me pulling my hair out, and I don't have that much left to pull out. I found myself pushing hard to get through certain sections of the book.

Then there's the issue of jumping around in time. [Spoiler Alert] If that wasn't maddening enough, one section ends with her mother in a mental institution and the next opens with the kids and the mother traveling to Seattle WITHOUT ONE SINGLE WORD ABOUT HOW THE MOTHER GOT OUT OF THE MENTAL INSTITUTION. It's not referred to at all.

Finally this: I'm four years younger than the author. I can't fathom how she could possibly remember so many details from when she was a little kid, so many years ago. As a beginning memoir writer myself, I'm having trouble pulling out details from my teen years. One wonders if Mary simply invented details after-the-fact.

I'd actually give this 3.5 stars but the problems with the narrative preclude that. However,having said that, I'm not sorry I read this book. It was still worth reading.

Samsung 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-16BA/AM)
Samsung 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-16BA/AM)
Offered by JF3 Technology
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, May 25, 2016
Nice. Does what it's supposed to do.

Writing Life Stories: How To Make Memories Into Memoirs, Ideas Into Essays And Life Into Literature
by Bill Roorbach
Price: $11.37
97 used & new from $5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book on Writing Memoirs for Non-writers, May 8, 2016
If you haven't really written anything before and you want to write your memoir, this book might be for you. If you're already a writer and you want to learn techniques of memoir writing, I suggest looking elsewhere. The opening suggestions and exercises offer suggestions such as find a place to write, read books every day, etc. I don't need this, but I'm sure there are some who do. For me, it was a waste of time. I read some of the book, skimmed ahead a bit, and gave up.

I got this as part of my Kindle Unlimited subscription, so it was easy to return.

Kindle Paperwhite E-reader - Black, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $119.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No Quality Control, May 7, 2016
I had a Kindle Touch, which I never liked because of the dark green-gray background. I used my iPad and iPhone to read Kindle books. But as I recently started reading more, I wanted the best reading experience, and I was tired of having to switch devices when my iPad needed to be recharged.

I had been looking at the Kindle Paperwhite for a long time but couldn't get past the negative reviews. Since some people had a good experience, I thought maybe the bad devices were the exception. So I bought one.

I'll cut to the chase. After receiving my Kindle Paperwhite, I turned it on, only to find it had the dark, shadowy areas at the bottom of the screen (see photo). I debated for a few days whether or not it was bad enough to bother me. I decided it did bother me.

Rather than have to deal with Amazon's shipping and late delivery again (they shipped it via USPS in an envelope and it took three days, not the two days promised by my Prime membership), I bought another one from Staples. If the Staples Paperwhite was better, I was going to return the original one to Amazon.

I opened the box of the new one. I unwrapped the Kindle and turned it on.

It was worse than the first one. The dark shadowy areas were bigger and darker. In addition, there were two stuck pixels. (These are pixels that are always on and look like tiny little points of light.)

I returned the Staples unit and decided to live with mine.

Another issue is the color of the text, which is a dark shade of gray, instead of black. My eye keeps wanting it to be darker and when I first received the unit, I looked for a contrast control, but there was none.

The bottom line is that these units seem to be manufactured cheaply and they feel cheap. My iPad doesn't have dark shadows on the screen and stuck pixels. Neither does my iPhone, my iMac, or the Dell monitor on my office PC.

Amazon's idea of quality control appears to be to send these devices to the customer and replace it if they don't like it. There doesn't seem to be any standards as to what is acceptable to send to customers. If you buy one of these units, what you'll get will be completely random. I would expect this if I was buying electronics from a street vendor in India, but not from Amazon. It is inexcusable.

The only reason this received two stars and not one is because I decided I could live with it and didn't return it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: How to Beat Diabetes Fast (and Stay Off Medication)
by Michael Mosley
Price: $15.23
66 used & new from $5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, April 3, 2016
I started this diet and lost 6.5 lbs. in four days. I don't feel hungry. This diet is going to change my life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2016 6:38 PM PDT

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Bundle: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Series)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Seies, April 1, 2016
It starts out slow, and some of the attention to detail slows the story down. But it's one of those books that you don't want to put down.

Another criticism is the characters don't seem to speak in different voices. But this is gripping, nonetheless.

Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 7300, vacuum trimmer with adjustable length settings (Model # QT4070/41)
18 used & new from $64.36

1.0 out of 5 stars Often Cut My Lip, Then Broke., March 7, 2016
I used this for about a year. Before I describe how it broke, let me start by saying that this machine cut my upper lip frequently. IT WILL CUT YOUR LIP, SO DON'T BUY IT!

Now, while the mechanism still works, the latch that keeps the little door closed broke. That means the hairs will get vacuumed into the compartment and they will spill out while I'm using it. If I tape the door shut, the hairs will pile up and come out through the top. So I can't use it because a tiny bit of plastic broke off.

I'm tired of buying these cheap made-in-China pieces of junk every year.

The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia
The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the same book as the original UK edition., December 28, 2015
I bought this book from Amazon's UK site, mistakenly believing that it wasn't available in the U.S. Then I found the book listed here. Because the type is small, I decided to buy the American Kindle edition. When I got the Kindle book, I searched for a particular passage so I could find my place. There was no match. So I tried to find my place manually. When I got to the section I was reading in my paper book, I was unhappily surprised to find the reason I couldn't find a match is because the entire paragraph was missing from the Kindle book. (I'm guessing it's missing from all U.S. versions of the book.) I addition, I noticed the wording of other paragraphs had been changed.

If you're thinking of buying this book, which I do recommend, go to Amazon's UK site and buy it from there. It's not that much more expensive and you'll get the unchanged version of the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18