Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Lawrence H. Bulk > Reviews

Browse

Lawrence H. Bulk's Profile

Customer Reviews: 188

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lawrence H. Bulk "Lawrence H. Bulk" RSS Feed

Price: $32.20
14 used & new from $32.20

3.0 out of 5 stars A Somewhat Disappointing Hair Dryer, July 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Courtesy of Amazon Vine, I recently obtained this Revlon RVDR5141PNK Pro Collection 1875 Watt Fast Drying AC Motor Dryer for my wife.

We read Amazon's product page where it was claimed that is has all of the features she desires and it has an ac motor has an extended lifespan lasting up to 3x's longer and dries up to 50% faster. The extended-life motor claim was interesting as all but one of her previous Revlon hair dryers had "died" after a relatively short time.

Unfortunately she is mostly disappointed with it.

We also recently obtained this Remington AC9140S T|Studio Thermaluxe Hair Dryer with Tangle Free Fabric Swivel Cord, Ionic Dryer, Purple which, she says, is definitely the best hair dryer she has ever owned.

Comparing the two indicates that the Revlon is heavier and it does NOT dry her hair fast or even well.

She has tried the Revlon for three days now and each time, about part way through, she went back to the Remington. It has been very hot and humid here and she has very fine hair so her trials may not be fully indicative of the performance of this Revlon hair dryer.

But, as with many hair dryers she has owned in the past, using this new Revlon model, when her hair feels dry to her hand, her brush indicates that her hair is not fully dry.

This does not happen with the Remington.

In addition, this one is heavy and, due to the length of time she needs to use it, her arm gets tired. And even with the extra time, it does not dry her hair satisfactorily.

While the Remington is somewhat more expensive than this Revlon, she feels that the difference in price is well-worth it.

She desires to take two hair dryers with us when we go on vacation. She used to take only one and, when it "died" part-way through our vacation (it was a Revlon), we had to scramble to find a store which sold one with the features she likes. What a waste of a vacation day! So now she always carries two hair dryers.

She had hoped that this Revlon would be either her "main" hair dryer or her "extra" vacation one.

Unfortunately, no such luck.

She has a hair dryer which she got "for free" from Ulta and that, and her Remington, is what will come along with us. She has even suggested that I buy a second Remington AC9140S T|Studio Thermaluxe Hair Dryer for her and I may do so.

It's unfortunate that Revlon cannot seem to design a hair dryer which functions satisfactorily with all types of hair. Remington can and does so we shall probably restrict our future purchases to that brand.

I'm sorry to have had to write a review such as this. This hair dryer may be perfectly satisfactory for some, perhaps many, women. But if you have very fine hair, beware.

Thank you for reading this report and for considering my wife's opinions.

Lawrence H. Bulk

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington S9130S T|Studio Thermaluxe 2-inch Straightener: An Excellent Product, July 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this Remington S9130S T|Studio Thermaluxe Wide Hair Straightener with Tangle Free Fabric Swivel Cord, Flat Iron, 2 Inch, Purple the other day and my wife has used it over the past few days.

She has fine hair and, while it is fairly straight, it does tend to 'frizz' badly in hot and humid weather (of which we have plenty at our location!).

We ordered both this one (the 2-inch model) as well as the Remington S9110S T|Studio Thermaluxe Slim Hair Straightener with Tangle Free Fabric Swivel Cord, Flat Iron, 1 Inch, Purple, the 1-inch model.

She uses the 2-incher for the sides of her hair and the 1-incher for the back.

They both work beautifully.

Yesterday was an extremely hot and humid day yet her hair remained quite nice. She was very pleased. The description is correct: even though the unit gets very hot, it will not damage anyone's hair. And, as they say, the floating design makes it easy to keep the unit in constant contact with your hair.

Both of the units heat up very fast which is very good; a criticism she makes is that it takes quite a while for them to cool down. I don't suppose anything could be done about that. I myself wish that the auto-shutoff feature functioned in 30 or even 15 minutes. One hour seems a very long time to stay on (if you forget to turn it off manually).

We also recently received this Remington AC9140S T|Studio Thermaluxe Hair Dryer with Tangle Free Fabric Swivel Cord, Ionic Dryer, Purple, also a part of Remington's T|Studio series. Evidently this is Remington's high-end line and, if it is, they have done an excellent job of the designs in this line. All of our units came with a high-end fabric-covered cord and all appear to be made with a great deal of integrity. The straighteners come complete with a nice case. The three T|Studio devices we received also all come with a 4-year warranty.

Obviously my wife is completely pleased with all three of her Remington T|Studio devices and, especially, with this straightener. We highly recommend it.

Thank you for reading this report and for considering our opinions.

Price: $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Remington AC9140S T|Studio Thermaluxe Hair Dryer - Another Superb Remington Product, July 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this Remington AC9140S T|Studio Thermaluxe Hair Dryer with Tangle Free Fabric Swivel Cord, Ionic Dryer, Purple a few days ago and my wife has been using it since.

She is quite pleased with it. She tells me that it makes her hair appear fuller and more lustrous. It dries her hair somewhat faster than any other she has previously owned. She also says that when it feels dry, it actually is dry. She has fine hair and she has had a problem with other hair dryers in that when her hair feels dry to her hand, it actually is not fully dry (noted when she uses her brush).

Recently she had been using a hair dryer made by a different company (which she got 'for free' at Ulta) as her 'main' hair dryer (she has over a dozen of them, believe it or not) but she tells me that this new Remington will probably become her "hair dryer of choice."

She prefers light-weight hair dryers and this new Remington weighs about the same as the Ulta one she had previously been using.

Of course it is shipped with the usual accessories, some of which she uses, and others which she does not. (She also says that she will not use the Cool Shot Button feature. That is her choice; it may not be yours.)

She has and has had many, many hair dryers over the years and most of them have one thing in common: the motor fails after just a couple of years of use. That applies to Conair, Revlon, and a few other miscellaneous brands. It is more common with her light-weight models but such failure has occurred even with heavier weight ones.

But this does NOT apply to any of her Remington ones. NONE of her Remingtons have ever failed. (Most of her older Remingtons are heavier than she prefers.) Evidently Remington uses a much more robust motor in their hair dryers than some other manufacturers and this is definitely something to take into account. Frankly, I believe that such reliability overrides many, if not most, other considerations.

After all, the hair dryer represents only a portion of how your hair will appear. Shampoo, conditioner, temperature, humidity, sun, rain, season of the year - all of these play a major part in how your hair turns out on any given day.

So, if you're spending money (even a relatively small amount) on a motorized or electrically operated hair product, reliability is, as I indicated (and in my opinion), very important. And Remingtons appear to fill the bill.

Both she and I can highly recommend this particular model, especially in view of the fact that it is a light-weight model which comes with a 4-year warranty. (It also comes with a fabric-covered power cord, something I have not seen in years.) Obviously Remington has a great deal of confidence in its product - and considering our experience with Remington, so do we.

Thank you for reading my report and for considering our opinions.

Price: $14.99
47 used & new from $13.78

5.0 out of 5 stars This StarTech Dual Port Car Charge is Powerful, July 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This StarTech.com Dual Port Car Charger with Micro USB Cable and USB Port, High Power, 21 Watt/4.2 Amp, Black (USBUB2PCARB) is the highest power individual car charger I have ever owned.

It actually charges my cell phone (an LG Volt LS740 Virgin Mobile model) as well as my Garmin nüvi 285W/285WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic, and it does both at the same time.

Powering is, of course, instant and charging seems to take about the same time as other individual chargers I have used.

It has a discreet blue LED light indicating that it is powered. The LED is located on the body between the connections for the two cords (assuming a second cord is in use) and is quite small. It should not annoy anyone.

The unit does get quite warm in use; only time will tell whether or not this detracts from its useful life.

The cord is a coiled type and it stretches to about three feet which is perfect for use in my car. I use its built-in cord to charge/power the phone and I use an extra USB-to-Mini-USB 'B' connector to charge/power the Garmin GPS.

Those two items are the only ones I would use at the same time and this unit handles my requirements perfectly.

I am very pleased with this item, so much so, that, as its price is 'right,' I will probably buy another one for our other car.

Highly recommended.

Case Logic Bryker 15.6" Laptop Bag (BRYB115)
Case Logic Bryker 15.6" Laptop Bag (BRYB115)
Price: $51.53
10 used & new from $44.55

5.0 out of 5 stars The Case Logic Bryker 15.6" Laptop Bag - An Excellent Case for a Computer, a Tablet, and Accessories, June 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Note: Please see update at the end of this report.

=====

This Case Logic Bryker 15.6" Laptop Bag (BRYB115) is certainly one of the nicest and one of the best-made laptop carrying cases I have ever owned.

Recently I had occasion to buy a computer case. This was before this particular one was introduced. At the time I investigated what was available from Amazon and I chose this AmazonBasics 15.6-Inch Laptop and Tablet Bag.

It's quite nice and it costs just about one-third the price of this new Case Logic one.

Yet, had this Case Logic model under review been available, I think I would have chosen it, even with its higher price. (Please note: this is an Amazon Vine review and I received this Case Logic case at no charge to me.)

While the AmazonBasics is, as I said, quite nice, the materials and construction quality of the Case Logic far surpass it. This is immediately apparent. Plus the exterior and interior design of this CL bag is much better.

The handles on the CL bag are sewn onto the bag much more substantially than are those on the AB bag.

The zippers are more substantial on the CL too and there are two top compartments with zippers (as opposed to one on the AB case). The CL case is somewhat heavier due to the more substantial padding.

It is much easier to carry a 15.6" computer as well as a laptop cooler in the CL. While this can also be done in the AB one, the protection between the two sections is much flimsier. Instead of a laptop cooler, you could also easily transport two laptop computers in this case (the handles are sturdy enough and attached well-enough to handle the weight).

There is plenty of room for accessories such as power supplies and external hard drives. And there's plenty of room for auxiliary cables and many other computer accessories you may wish to carry (as well as non-computer items). There are also the usual pen holders.

The bottom of the CL case has a couple of sewn-on pads; this should afford some protection for the bottom of the case when it is placed on the floor. (The AB case does not have such protection.)

While I do not use the carrying strap on any of my computer bags, there have been some complaints about that strap on the AB case. I think that there would be few, if any, such complaints about the strap on this CL case as it and its connections appear to be constructed with a great deal of integrity. (You'll want to read other reviews of course, especially those which may mention details, pro or con, of this strap, which, as I am aware, is of great importance to many people.)

The single front pocket on the front of the CL case is full-width; the two front pockets on the AB are not. And while the AB case has only one top opening (with a flimsy piece of cloth separating two sections), this CL has two, both full-width, and both heavily padded between the two. The front pocket has two sections, separated by a flimsy cloth piece, both full-width, and the rear pocket has another full-width section and a flimsy cloth attachment designed to hold an approximately 10" tablet.

There are also thin cloth sections designed to hold external hard drives, etc.

While I'm not particularly keen on these thin cloth separators, they should do their job if one is careful with what one puts into them.

What both of these cases lack is a dedicated small compartment for a thumb drive; I have a couple of computer cases which do have such compartments and, believe me, they can be very handy. (The funny thing is, both of those cases are made by Case Logic!) I wish computer case manufacturers would consider adding such compartments (maybe even more than one) to their cases.

All in all, though I'm satisfied with that AmazonBasics case (it does represent outstanding value), I am going to move the computer and accessories from it and put them in this new Case Logic one. I just think it is a much better and nicer case and is well-worth its extra cost. (Neither one's price would exactly "break the bank.") I wish this bag had been available recently when I had need to buy a new laptop bag.

Obviously I can highly recommend this Case Logic Bryker Laptop Bag.

As always, I thank you for your reading of my report and for your consideration of my opinions.

=====Update: July 5, 2016

When I received this bag its price on Amazon was about $48.00 (with free shipping). Lately I have seen it offered at much higher prices - as much as $75.00 PLUS in at least one case an exorbitant shipping charge. BEWARE of 'price gougers.' A $48.00 price is reasonable for this bag; it is well-worth that price BUT any much higher price is NOT reasonable and should in my opinion be avoided.

Price: $1,839.99
32 used & new from $1,701.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alienware AW17R3 - A Superb Computer Plus It's Not Just for Gaming!, May 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, let me state that I am not a 'gamer.'

Then why am I reviewing this Alienware AW17R3-7092SLV 17.3" FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M?

It was offered to me by Amazon Vine™ and, as soon as I saw it, I ordered it.

I ordered it because I know that gaming computers are extremely powerful machines and would be suitable for the type of audio and video work that I like to do. I use several programs for these purposes as well as some photography ones. Some of those programs use a lot, sometimes almost all, of a computer's CPU power.

This one does not disappoint. It has just about all the processing power anyone would need. And everything on it runs FAST!

It does run a bit warm (not hot) but so did (and does) every other laptop computer I have ever used with these programs. The very large and heavy power supply runs warm too.

Normally I use the Ubuntu Studio operating system but, for the time being, I shall use this computer as it is, with its Microsoft Windows 10 system, for some months just to make certain that there are no problems which might need warranty work.

After I am sure that nothing untoward is going to occur, I shall convert it to Ubuntu Studio, a GNU/Linux operating system..

In the meantime, there are several programs I use which are cross-platform. In other words these programs have versions for Windows, Mac, as well as GNU/Linux systems.

So far, I have installed just a couple of them. One, in its Windows version, is about equivalent to its GNU/Linux counterpart; the other is noticeably inferior (or, as we used to say, "Crude but Usable").

Both programs work well and both work much faster than they do on my "old" (2012 - ancient in computer terms!) laptop (which also has an Intel i7 processor [an older version] and 16 GB of RAM). It too runs very fast but its speed pales compared to this new Alienware computer. (I'm sure that when it is converted to Ubuntu Studio, it will run even faster. All things being equal on a given computer, GNU/Linux OSes generally run much faster than Windows or Mac OSes.)

I moved all of the data folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos) to the D-drive (1 TB, 7200 RPM) which, as the computer comes from the factory, are installed on the C-drive (256 GB SSD). (Why isn't this placement done by Alienware?)

I added some Internet Radio Station URLs to the Music folder, downloaded the K-Lite codec package, and played a couple of Internet Radio Stations.

It's certainly not ' ultra high fidelity,' but the sound which emanates from this computer is absolutely the very best I have ever heard from a laptop's built-in speakers. Nothing else that I have ever heard is even close!

The graphics are excellent. Plus there are adjustments to the colors on the keyboard and on the lid and body and they can be very 'cool' if you like that sort of thing.

I had what turned out to be a very minor problem: when I received the computer on May 12, 2016, the AC cord which plugs into the transformer had the wrong connectors. It had round holes while the transformer had blade connectors.

As I learned many years ago, you can't put a square peg into a round hole, so I called Alienware/Dell. Fortunately I had registered the computer (using my older computer) even before I tried to attach the power supply. So when I spoke with a representative, he already had my information at hand.

He asked me to send him pictures so he could show his supervisor the problem.

I did so - and so did he.

He telephoned me within fifteen minutes of receiving those pictures (you can view these pictures below) and, believe it or not, he promised to FedEx Overnight the right cord to me - and he did! It arrived the next day. I couldn't have asked for better service from a computer vendor

I then turned on the computer, went through Microsoft's 'registration' procedure, and started using it.

The keyboard is very well-designed and is a pleasure to use. So is the large trackpad. The 'feel' is just right, at least for me, and I anticipate no fatigue. The display is superb, bright and colorful. (I downloaded and installed a number of Alienware HD backdrops.) And, as I mentioned above, everything for which I use it runs FAST, much faster than any other computer I own or have previously owned.

Is it 'perfect?' Of course not. What computer (or anything else) is?

For me, there are three very minor 'nits' - the computer is very heavy (nothing to be done about that) and it has no internal optical drive (can be remedied with an inexpensive external Blu-ray/DVD/CD reader/writer). In addition, it has only three standard USB 3.0 ports (can be remedied with an inexpensive USB 3.0 hub).

But these are very minor points, at least in my opinion, and two of them are easily 'fixed.' (I already have disc reader/writers and hubs.) And my minor complaints may not even be applicable for you.

I'm sure that you can guess by now that I am very pleased with this laptop! I'm very, very happy that Amazon Vine™ chose to offer it to me as I had been planning to replace my 2012 computer (as always, money being a problem!). I shall (hopefully) make good use of this one's very powerful capabilities. I'm sure that it will be even more capable when it is converted to Ubuntu Studio, though this probably would not apply to the majority of people reading this review.

So, in conclusion, let me state that, if you need an advanced powerful laptop computer for a variety of resource-intensive uses and also desire excellent graphics and superb sound quality, I believe that this one is one of the best choices available. (I'm also sure that it would be great for gaming!) And if my experience with Alienware/Dell's service department is any indication, the company stands behind its products, is an easy one with which to deal, and is anxious to please its customers.

Thus I highly recommend this laptop computer.

Thank you for reading this and for considering my opinions.

=====Update: Monday, July 25, 2016

Yesterday I 'wiped' the supplied Microsoft Windows 10 operating system from this computer and replaced it with the Ubuntu Studio 16.04.1 'Xenial Xerus' operating system.

As I expected, this computer as well as all its installed programs now operate much faster than previously when it used Windows.

I certainly do not expect many people to do what I did - get rid of Windows and replace it with a GNU/Linux operating system - but if anyone reading this desires to do so, it is quite easy. Plus the Ubuntu Studio (as well as any other Ubuntu variant) will install with UEFI and Secure Boot activated.

Again I thank you for reading this.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Skagen Mikkeline Satchel Shoulder Bag, Black, One Size
Skagen Mikkeline Satchel Shoulder Bag, Black, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but Not as Nice as it Could Be., March 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Skagen Mikkeline Satchel Shoulder Bag, Black, One Size being offered to me through Amazon Vine, and my wife stating that she would like to have it, I ordered it. It arrived a couple of days ago.

My wife has used it several times. Here is what she writes:

"This is an attractive handbag in a nice supple leather. It has adequate room for me to put all of the items that I generally carry daily. This is not a small bag. But this is not exactly a lightweight purse. The metal “buttons" which are used to hold on the handle strap are attractive, but add a lot of weight to this purse. I don't like the fact that there is no zippered outside pocket. Having that pocket would make it much easier to get to your keys.

"When the purse is loaded with a wallet, makeup, and various other items I like to carry, it becomes really heavy, much heavier than other purses I own. This is fine if you are using the handles to carry the handbag. But the purse becomes uncomfortable when using the extremely slender cross-body strap. This strap is far too flimsy and I believe that if used regularly, it will break within a relatively short period of time. The strap should have been wider, sturdier, and padded. Of course this would add even more to the weight though probably not too much.

"Though it appears to be possible, I found it actually impossible to remove the shoulder strap, so I would have to use the cross-body strap all of the time unless I wanted to permanently remove the cross-body strap. I used a lot of force to try to disconnect the buttons that hold the strap in place, but I could not do so. I was afraid I would ruin the strap if I put more pressure on those buttons. Skagen should make connecting and disconnecting those buttons much easier and, while that might allow them to come loose, an additional safety connector or strap could be added.

"Because other reviewers have mentioned that the black dye ran when it got wet, I sprayed the handbag with a waterproofing sealant. I have not had a chance to use the handbag on a rainy day to see if the waterproofing spray worked.

"I do like the fact that it came with a protective storage case. This is a nice touch."

My wife goes on to state that, though it is very nice looking, she is not going to use it often due to the disadvantages she mentions. She was hoping for a really nice handbag that she could use regularly; unfortunately this one is not it.

Thank you for reading this and for considering my wife's impressions.

Offered by Mercury Computers
Price: $226.00
24 used & new from $159.30

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice, Simple, Low-Cost Computer - But I Have Had Plain Bad Luck With It!, January 27, 2016
---NOTE: Please see update at the end of this report.

This Acer Aspire One Cloudbook, 14-Inch HD, 64GB, Windows 10, Gray (AO1-431-C7F9) includes Office 365 Personal - 1 year is a fine computer for certain special non-intensive uses.

In other words, it is, in my opinion, useful as a second (subsidiary) computer for limited uses. With only 2 GB of RAM and a Celeron processor, you can expect no more - and you shouldn't, considering its low price.

It would be fine for 'web surfing' and e-mail if you chose to use it for that purpose. And, as I'll explain below, it is also fine for certain other limited uses. One example of such is the use to which we put it.

To explain: my wife and I use computers with GNU/Linux operating systems both at home and when traveling.

In our own particular situation however, we need a Microsoft Windows operating system computer for use in updating Garmin GPS units. We own four (4) of them and we do not travel without them.

Garmin does not (and will not) support Linux.

While some expert people have been able to configure their Linux computers to update Garmins, this capability is beyond me, at least at the present time.

That is why we must have a Windows computer.

The reason we bought this one is because Amazon offered it, just after Thanksgiving 2015, for only $199.99, a very reasonable price. At the time, it was the least costly computer with generally good reviews that was being sold here.

When I received it, prior to connecting it to the web, I disabled each and every Windows tracking setting on it, including Cortana. I also disabled each and every pre-installed program for which I would have no use, including all the 'cloud' programs. I also disabled the 'fast boot' power option and set the power setting to 'Power Saver.'.

Once connected to the Internet and updated (manually), I installed just two (2) programs: the CCleaner and Garmin Express.

I use Windows' own firewall and its own antivirus program as I have no intention of ever using this computer to 'surf the web' or any other such use. (When updating the CCleaner, I must use the Microsoft Edge browser but that is the only time this browser is employed.) For that kind of very limited use, Microsoft's protection programs are fine.

The Garmin Express program, the use for which is the reason I bought this computer, works perfectly. I am pleased with this computer for the way it functions for this particular (and limited) use.

The CCleaner program too functions as expected.

Considering all of the above, I should be happy with the computer.

But I'm not. That's why I give it only Three Stars. (Three Stars, according to Amazon, means "It's Okay.")

Let me explain:

I use this computer only once per week. I manually update Windows and, if there are new maps, etc. for my Garmins, I update them too.

Then the computer is put away for a week.

While the computer functions properly when it's running (on AC power), when powered down, its battery discharges at a very high rate. (See Comment Number 1 for ongoing details about the problem I am having with my particular unit, as well as its final resolution.)

In one week the battery loses over 50% of its charge (and yes, it's powered down properly and completely).

Obviously this is highly abnormal.

This situation has occurred since Day 1 of ownership though, frankly, I didn't follow through with Acer for a couple of months, mostly due to 'inertia.'

But when the major battery problem (described in Comment Number 1) occurred, I contacted Acer to have the computer repaired under warranty.

I have returned the computer to Acer's repair station three (3) times now and it seems that their technicians are unable to repair this computer. (To its credit, Acer paid postage both ways all three times.)

SOMETHING is causing the battery to run down abnormally; Acer had replaced the battery twice and even replaced the entire motherboard once.

I have concluded that my particular sample is just no good.

Obviously I have not had the use of the computer when it has been back at the repair station.

Acer has been really fine about all of this; they have paid to have the computer returned to their repair station three times and they have finally concluded, as I have, that this particular sample is defective and cannot be repaired.

It's really a shame; I like the computer and, when it's running, it performs well for the limited uses I desire.

Acer finally agreed, after some prodding, to replace the computer with a brand-new, not a refurbished, one.

It arrived last week and I saw that it came from a completely different production run. I went through all of the configuration processes described above again and made certain that the battery was charged to 100%. Afterwards, I put it away.

I turned it on today, one week later - and the battery was down to 50% of charge.

I am very disappointed but there is nothing more I can do about it. Evidently the design of the computer, or the design/capacity of the battery, is ill-suited for holding a charge when not in use. I have never had such a situation with any other computer I have owned or currently own.

(I should mention that I recently obtained an Alienware AW17R3-7092SLV 17.3-Inch FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M,Windows 10 Home),Silver and I configured its settings exactly the same way as I did the Acer's - the Alienware has the Windows 10 OS for the time being - and the Alienware's battery, over time [one week], holds its charge well, just as does every other computer I own.)

I suppose that if I were to use the Acer computer every day or two, this heavy discharging might not occur. But the way I use this computer is the way I want to use it.

I will say that if the unit you get is satisfactory TO YOU in all ways, I can recommend this computer. It's really a nice little machine. And Acer is an excellent company; their representatives really want to please their customers.

It's just too bad about the battery discharge problem which must be endemic to all samples of this particular model. I wish it were otherwise.

=====Update: June 29,2016

This second sample lasted only five (5) weeks before the hard drive (SSD) failed completely.

Acer sent another prepaid (FedEx) mailing label and I have returned the unit for repair.

I suppose that my experiences are not typical (at least l hope they're not!) as I have not read any other reports of troubles such as those I have had. At least the warranty has been extended for me: I bought the first sample on November 28, 2015 with its one-year warranty but the replacement computer, which arrived May 19, 2016, shows its warranty runs until May 19, 2017. That's something, I guess.

I'll hold off changing my Star Review Number until after I receive the repaired computer - and have used it for a while.

I can only repeat that I hope that my experiences are not typical with this computer.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2016 6:39 AM PST

Offered by Gute Trade
Price: $30.80
3 used & new from $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Elegant Mechanical Mens' Wristwatch, January 19, 2016
I like Swiss watches. I would very much like to own a Patek Philippe wristwatch. I would also like to own mechanical watches made by Breitling, Tissot, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer, IWC, Movado, etc., etc. etc.

Unfortunately, while I have "champagne tastes," I also have the proverbial "beer pocketbook."

A few years ago I found a Chinese dealer's web site (which shall remain nameless here but its initials are D.X.). This site had quite a large number of mens' mechanical watches which were styled as nicely as those expensive brands, so I ordered several of them.

Unfortunately NOT ONE lasted more than one month before it broke down. (A few lasted only a couple of weeks.)

It would have been far more expensive to mail them back to China for warranty repairs than the watches actually cost.

Thinking that this was telling me something, I abandoned hope of finding a "rich looking" mechanical watch at an affordable price, one which would hold up.

Amazon to the rescue!

One day, strictly by accident while looking at Amazon's site, I saw quite a large number of the kind of mechanical watches I like; as beautifully styled as those "high-priced" watches, many of them were Amazon Prime eligible (I am a Prime member).

In addition Amazon was offering a 2-year warranty provided by Asurion.

I figured that if Amazon were selling it and offering that kind of warranty, it must be good.

I also knew that, if I had a problem before 30 days of ownership had passed, I could return the watch to Amazon at no cost to me.

So I bought a few of them.

I am completely pleased with all of them. Most are straight wind-up watches but a couple are automatic-winding ones.

It is this particular one, the Gute Mature Tourbillion Mechanical Watch White Dial Rose-gold Case Week Month PU Band, an auto-winder, which is my favorite of all. (I see that as of this writing it is not "Prime eligible;" I feel sure that it will revert back to being Prime Eligible in the near future.)

As you can see, it is styled as nicely as any watch selling for hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands of dollars (and is, at least in my opinion, styled more elegantly than most of those very expensive watches!).

I wear it almost every day. Its automatic function works just fine (though I do manually wind it a few turns every morning and evening "just in case")

Though the face is white and the hands are gold, I have absolutely no trouble reading the time, even at night in a dimly lit room. The indicators are raised, a true "luxury" touch. In addition, as you can see from the photo, 24-hour conversion numbers are printed just below the hour indicators.

The day and date dials, though small, are easy to read and function perfectly. Once set, as long as the watch is continually running, the day should need to be set only once. Obviously, in months which have fewer than 31 days, the date will have to be changed manually but this is very easy to do. The watch comes with no instructions but one minute of using the buttons and observing what they do will tell you all you need to know about changing the day and/or date.

My particular sample keeps excellent time, especially considering that this is a mechanical watch. It runs a bit fast (which I prefer; I'll never be late for an appointment!), gaining perhaps, believe it or not, just 3 or 4 seconds per day. (Even quartz watches are generally not that accurate!) After it gains a total of a minute, I merely set the hand back one minute and we're back to correct time.

I must mention that this is NOT a true tourbillon (whirlwind) watch (nor is is a "Tourbillion" watch, whatever that is). The Chinese have yet to develop a low-cost means for producing a true tourbillon watch (in which the escapement and the balance wheel are placed in a rotating cage to counteract the force of gravity upon the watch's accuracy). So while it LOOKS like a tourbillon movement, it is not.

Some people have complained about the band which is made from PU Leather (the official description, not my opinion of it!). PU Leather is merely a split leather backing covered with polyurethane which is then embossed with a desired pattern.

I find this band to be of excellent quality and, at least for me, it is very comfortable; I have no problem at all wearing the watch all day.

If there is one "quibble" I have concerning the watch, it is the band's clasp. It has the brand's name [MG.Orkina] embossed on it (a nice touch) but it is silver in color. I feel that it should be the same rose gold color as the watch's case.

But that is a very small "quibble."

As I was able to obtain it through Amazon Prime, I received it two days after ordering. The packaging was excellent.

If you are planning to order this watch, you may want to wait a bit and see if it again becomes available via Amazon Prime or, if you are not a member, I recommend that you ensure that it is "fulfilled by Amazon." (However, even if you order it directly from the Chinese seller, it will still be covered by Amazon's [Asurion] warranty as long as that coverage is mentioned on Amazon's Product Page.)

But, in any case, I can HIGHLY recommend this elegant wristwatch.

Thank you for reading this and for considering my opinions.

Lawrence H. Bulk

White Freshwater Cultured Pearl in Sterling Silver Wrap Bracelet, 7.5"
White Freshwater Cultured Pearl in Sterling Silver Wrap Bracelet, 7.5"
Price: $50.22

5.0 out of 5 stars This Bracelet is Beautiful and Elegant, December 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This White Freshwater Cultured Pearl in Sterling Silver Wrap Bracelet, 7.5" arrived just a few minutes ago.

My wife has a relatively small wrist and, when we saw we were being offered a 7½ inch bracelet from Amazon Vine (just her size), we immediately ordered it. It fit her perfectly. (For others, it could probably be bent a bit to resize it somewhat if necessary.)

I can tell you that she is very pleased with it.

It is well-made and is in fact nicer looking in 'real-life' than in Amazon's picture. The sterling silver band is quite elegant as are the two pearls.

It comes double-boxed; both boxes are black in color and are very attractive in appearance.

Though we did not pay for it, we both feel that it is well-worth Amazon's asking price and, if you saw this in a jewelry or department store, we believe that its price would be much higher.

We both can highly recommend this beautiful piece of jewelry.

Thank you for reading this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19