Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Lawrence H. Bulk > Reviews

Browse

Lawrence H. Bulk's Profile

Customer Reviews: 169

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lawrence H. Bulk "Lawrence H. Bulk" RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
RJM 10 Pack Of Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs, Polyester Cotton
RJM 10 Pack Of Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs, Polyester Cotton
Offered by 247 Online Clothing (8-10 Day Delivery)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Handkerchiefs Which Require No Ironing, August 22, 2015
I am very, very pleased with these RJM 10 Pack Of Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs, Polyester Cotton.

I had about fifty old handkerchiefs, some over thirty years old, of which I use one per day. I did not know the fabric composition of them but they were easy-care; none had to be ironed after washing and drying.

After all those years, many (most, actually) were beginning to look a bit 'ratty' so I thought it was about time to replace them.

This was easier said than done! My wife and I looked in several local department stores and we found that almost all of the handkerchiefs were made of (mostly) cotton.

We bought a few just to try them.

You know what we discovered – they had to be ironed! I did not want handkerchiefs subject to such a requirement.

I investigated on Amazon. Most of the handkerchiefs listed were also of mostly or 100% cotton.

Then I came across these which were 65% Polyester and 35% Cotton.

I ordered the small pack of RJM 10 Pack Of Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs, Polyester Cotton just to try them out.

The first sentence of my review says it all.

After coming out of the washer and dryer, they are soft, easily folded, and require absolutely no ironing.

I ordered two of the RJM 40 Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs (4 Packs Of 10) Polyester Cotton (giving me a total of 90[!] handkerchiefs) so that I hope I never need to look for or buy handkerchiefs again.

They are made and shipped from Great Britain. Both of my orders arrived well before the estimated time. In addition, the packaging was excellent.

I can give these handkerchiefs my highest recommendation. If I ever were to need handkerchiefs again, these are what I would buy.

RJM 40 Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs (4 Packs Of 10) Polyester Cotton
RJM 40 Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs (4 Packs Of 10) Polyester Cotton
Offered by 247 Online Clothing (8-10 Day Delivery)
Price: $24.99

I am very, very pleased with these RJM 40 Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs (4 Packs Of 10) Polyester Cotton.

We bought a few just to try them.

Then I came across these which were 65% Polyester and 35% Cotton.

The first sentence of my review says it all.

I ordered two of the RJM 40 Mens Plain White Handkerchiefs (4 Packs Of 10) Polyester Cotton (giving me a total of [90] handkerchiefs) so that I hope I never need to look for or buy handkerchiefs again.

AmazonBasics Digital Kitchen Scale with LCD Display
AmazonBasics Digital Kitchen Scale with LCD Display
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The AmazonBasics LCD Digital Kitchen Scale - A Real Winner!, August 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I are very pleased with this device.

For well over twenty-five years we have had a Cuisinart kitchen scale which has served us well. However, this product, with its attached container, looks, to use the vernacular, 'grungy' - just as it has not been kind to me, age has not been kind to this scale's appearance (though its function has not been affected in any way).

When this AmazonBasics scale was offered to me via the Vine program, I quickly ordered it.

In the past I have ordered a number of AmazonBasics products and have been satisfied with all of them.

This one is no exception.

It is so easy to use that we didn't even need to read the instruction manual (though we both have done so after our first use; it is very easy to read and comprehend - and each language section is separate unto itself - but, really, all the 'instructions' you need are right here on Amazon's product page!).

We had bought some corned beef to have for lunch today. We merely installed the supplied batteries (AmazonBasics brand - I didn't know they made batteries!), placed a piece of plastic wrap on the plate, turned on the unit (the [power button is clearly marked), saw the LCD screen reading zero, and then added the corned beef until the display showed four ounces (which was what we wanted). That was my serving. We removed my portion, pressed the Tare button (to reset the unit to zero), and then put on my wife's portion until we got to four ounces again.

That was all there was to it. It takes longer to write (and read) about it than it takes to actually use it.

We did look at the Unit button to see how it changed the units of measurement; we also tried the Tare button (which is combined with the power switch), and then, by merely holding down the power switch for a couple of seconds, turned off the unit and had lunch..

I do recommend that, if you plan to add food directly to the plate (as we did with the corned beef), you put a sheet of plastic wrap or similar on the plate just to keep it clean. (A small sheet of plastic wrap does not weigh enough to register but if what you use does register, you merely touch the Tare button to set the screen to Zero.) If using a container, the Tare function takes care of the weight of that item.

I can't imagine anything being more simple to use. Its LCD screen is even very easy to read.

Its tray is of sufficiently large size as to be able to hold most anything which you might want to place on it (even non-food items; it will weigh anything up to eleven pounds if what you're weighing fits on the tray), yet the tray is not so large as to take up a lot of space on the counter.

We are not discarding our Cuisinart kitchen scale, but we have boxed it up and put it down the basement.

This scale, made in China (naturally!), appears to be constructed with a great deal of integrity. If this new product 'holds up' as well as other AmazonBasics products have for us, Amazon has a real winner here.

We highly recommend this AmazonBasics LCD Digital Kitchen Scale.

I thank you for reading this review and for considering our opinions.

Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology
Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger - A Useful Product to Have When You Need It, July 1, 2015
We suffered a 54-hour power outage last week (June 23-26, 2015). Though my cell-phone was fully charged (plus we had no cell-phone service - Sprint strikes again! - so I couldn't use it), I thought that this Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology would be something I'd like to have just in case this sort of thing ever happened again.

It more than meets my expectations.

My cell-phone was down to 94% yesterday so I took this charger and the phone and placed them on my back deck. I checked after 45 minutes and the charge was 100%. How much time the actual charging took I cannot say.

The day was sunny but with many clouds in the sky.

This, in my opinion, is superb performance. My cell-phone is an LG Volt model (an Android phone using Virgin Mobile [Sprint network].)

While I have not, as yet, tried charging two items at the same time, I believe that the performance in such cases would be adequate. 5V/2A is the maximum output available from one or both of the USB connections, if both are used at the same time.

I purchased two Mediabridge USB 2.0 - Micro-USB to USB Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed A Male to Micro B to use with it. I have previously used and I like these cables. Even though they are relatively thick, they fit into the space which holds the cables. (When folded, the case bulges a bit but this is of no consequence to me.)

A useful feature is the orange LED light between the two USB ports which glows whenever the charger is receiving enough light to function.

I am pleased with the performance of this device and I recommend it to anyone who has need for such a product. And actually, with all the extreme weather and power problems we have been witnessing in this country as of late, that includes almost everyone!

Price: $129.99
13 used & new from $102.88

5.0 out of 5 stars The Electrolux Ergorapido Lithium Ion Brushroll Clean Xtra 2-in-1 - A Superb & Versatile Vacuum Cleaner, May 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I are amazed and pleased with the capabilities and performance of this Electrolux Ergorapido Lithium Ion Brushroll Clean Xtra 2-in-1 Handheld Vacuum, Watermelon Red.

Combining a hand-held vacuum ("Dustbuster" type) along with a stick vacuum (Bissell, Eureka, etc. type) and with suction power comparable to a Hoover or Dyson bagless model, it has a unique remarkable articulating head which allows it to reach into places which were formerly inaccessible for us. We have never owned such a vacuum cleaner. It can (and did) clean well under "lips" of shelves, under sofas and chairs, and under other such protuberances which we could not get to before (and you should have seen how much dirt it picked upt!).

Both my wife and I have "bad backs" and "bad legs" which preclude us from getting down on hands and knees as well as we were able to do in years past. Thus we could not clean crevices and other hidden areas as well as we should have liked.

But this remarkable vacuum makes getting down on hands and knees completely unnecessary.

Unlike other units we have owned, only one pass was necessary to pick up all the dirt, even on our carpets. The suction is that strong! This is wonderful performance.

It is not meant to replace a full-size vacuum cleaner for deep-cleaning of carpets but, for light touchups on carpets, it beats anything we have ever owned previously. In fact it will replace our two older stick vacuums which will be put in storage.

For cleaning bare floors (kitchens, bathrooms, etc.) it has no peer in our estimation.

Because of our limitations, we may not use the convertible hand-held portion as often as some other people but it appears that this will not be necessary for us. We will use the hand-held, but mostly for cleaning furniture, etc., which do not require deep bending.

Assembling the unit was the proverbial piece-of-cake. I deliberately did not look at the instructions because I wanted to see if a fumble-fingered person such as myself could assemble it easily. Well I did!

And as for using it, while I strongly recommend that each and every owner reads the instruction manual (we both did), it is so well-designed and its usage is so straightforward that the manual becomes "almost" unnecessary. (But I reiterate: PLEASE read that manual!)

Upon removing it from its box, assembling it, and plugging it into AC power, the unit fully charged in about three hours. Nonetheless, we left it plugged in for a full 24 hours before using it.

My wife was able to clean our entire kitchen, our bathrooms, our bedroom, our living/dining area, our steps (and what a job it did on them!) and part of our den - and the unit was still going strong (the running time was perhaps about 20 minutes in total). Recharging from that usage took about two-to-three hours and it is ready for use again.

Dissassembling the unit for cleaning is easy (and does not require referring to the owner's manual); reassembling is just as easy. This product is made to a very high design and construction standard.

A sheet came with it showing availability of replacement parts. A replacement battery is shown so I assume that the lithium-ion battery (which, with any luck, should last between 5 and 10 years) is replaceable by the user.

In addition to all of the above, it is very lightweight and easy to carry.

Of course it is not an inconsequential purchase at about the $130.00 that Amazon is currently charging but, in our opinion, it is worth every cent. (As you can see that this is a Vine review, take note that I did not pay for it. I do recommend that you buy directly from Amazon rather than one of their "partners" who often charge much higher prices.)

Obviously highly recommended!

Lawrence H. Bulk

George Foreman GRP4842P 3-in-1 Multi-Plate Evolve Grill, Red (Grilling and Waffle Plates Included), Platinum
Price: $97.50
34 used & new from $60.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The George Foreman GRP4842P - a Very Good Indoor Grill, February 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start by saying that, as you can see, this is an Amazon Vine review - which means I received this George Foreman GRP4842P 2-in-1 Evolve Grill, Platinum free of charge in exchange for a review.

When I opened the outer packing box, it was immediately apparent that the inner box (the brown box which contained the color-printed box) had been slit open.

Not only that, the inner box had been opened and the unit itself had been removed and (rather crudely) repackaged and, I presume, returned to Amazon (unless it was someone at Amazon itself who opened it).

I am certain that it had not been actually used - the plastic seal on the plug's prongs was still intact so it could not have been plugged in - but I do not know what the person (or persons) who opened and unpacked the box actually did with it.

In several years of being a member of Amazon Vine, this is the first time that I have received an item which was not brand-new and sealed.

Had I actually purchased (paid for) this particular unit, I should have returned it and asked to have an exchange for a brand-new one. This option, unfortunately, is not possible with a unit supplied by Amazon Vine.

That said, I am going to try to not let this unfortunate experience color this review.

We have owned three previous models of George Foreman grills, one of which (our second) was purchased from Amazon (George Foreman GRP4 Next Grilleration 5-Burger Grill with Removable Plates, White) and another which was supplied by Amazon Vine (George Foreman GRP2841R 5-Serving Removable Plate Grill with Variable Temperature).

ALL have been excellent units. Our first one, model unknown, lasted for a number of years before the plates wore out; it would have cost almost as much to buy new plates as it would have to buy a new unit. So we bought that new one, the first mentioned above.

It was (and is) excellent.

But when Amazon Vine offered me a new one, I thought I'd take it. It too was (and is) excellent.

This new one, much more expensive that the older ones, is also excellent but it has a couple of shortcomings which were not present on the older ones.

First, it is somewhat "wobbly." Now I do not know if that is a sample defect, something which happened (and was noticed) when the unit was first opened by the unknown person who opened it, examined it, and then (presumably) returned it to Amazon, or if it is a design fault inherent in this model. This "wobbling" is present whether the unit is tilted or flat.

This flaw is somewhat annoying.

Another shortcoming is that it takes much (quite noticeably) longer to reach the desired cooking temperature than any George Foreman we had previously owned.

This too is somewhat annoying. I do not know if this slowness is a result of the plates being made from a ceramic material but it is disappointing, especially when you consider that the longer the unit is in use, the more electrical energy it uses.

The digital controls are a ho-hum, at least for us; I really do not see any advantage to having them. I have never been a "fan" of digital controls unless they offer some particular advantage; in this case, I believe that they do not. (The fact that digital controls are far more expensive to replace/repair is not important on this machine in my opinion; the unit itself would probably wear out long before the digital controls would and, even if those controls did break down, you're not talking about a major investment to replace this grill. Anyway, it seems that nowadays we live in a disposable society so no one is going to actually have this grill repaired no matter what may go wrong unless the repair is done under warranty.)

However, on a more positive note, this unit cooks extremely well, probably somewhat better than any of our previous grills (though, truth to tell, they cook very well too). The searing option is probably nice too but, in our experience so far, having this feature seems to make little or no difference in the way the food turns out. Its tilting option, something the other models we own do not have, is nice and easy to use.

And those ceramic plates are FAR easier to clean than the plates on our other models. Frankly, this feature alone make this George Foreman model much more desirable than the other, less expensive, versions.

We don't eat waffles so we have not used the waffle plates.

But for hamburgers, hot dogs, and similar, this George Foreman is, by a small margin, probably the best one that we have ever owned.

If you are in the market for a new indoor grill, I think that you should seriously consider this one. It's somewhat expensive but overall my wife and I think it is worth its price if only for those ceramic plates (which, by the way, are very easily removed and replaced).

We like it and we are continuing to use it (the silver color looks better in our kitchen than did the red color of our GRP2841R); the others we own have been replaced in their respective boxes and are being kept "just in case."

Thank you for reading this and for considering my opinions. I want to mention again that the fact that we received an "open-box" unit, though disappointing to us, had no influence whatsoever (I hope!) on my review of the grill itself.

Thank you again.

Black & Decker CM2035B 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker, Black/Silver
Black & Decker CM2035B 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker, Black/Silver
Price: $47.17
31 used & new from $37.74

5.0 out of 5 stars This Excellent Black and Decker CM2035B Coffeemaker is a True Bargain, January 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I are very pleased with this Black and Decker CM2035B 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker.

It is very low-priced for a unit of its type but NO price would be low enough if the performance were no good.

Fortunately, this coffeemaker works as well as or better than any we have previously owned (and all of those were much more expensive).

We use dark-roast coffee exclusively and we both like our coffee strong.

Without setting any of the programmable settings or the time, this coffeemaker, at its default brewing setting, produces coffee just the way we like it.

Though the programs offered on the unit are of great value for most people, in general we shall not be using them. The reason for that is that we always unplug small appliances when they are not in use and, when this unit is unplugged, all the settings are lost.

So we'll only use those programmable settings when we have company (so we can adjust the coffee to various peoples' tastes).

And, as I stated above, for us, just plugging it in, adding the coffee and water, and turning on the coffeemaker, the coffee comes out as we like it. (Of course it is fortunate that we both like our coffee the same.)

The carafe holds the temperature for at least an hour (probably more - an hour is the longest we have yet tried); we have not had to re-heat the coffee in a microwave. And, as the unit shuts off automatically, there is no energy wasted if you don't drink your coffee right away.

The carafe and the cap are unusually well designed. It does not drip when pouring the coffee and it has a top opening wide enough for me to put my hand in when cleaning it (this is the first thermal-carafe coffeemaker we have ever owned for which I can make that statement!).

A two-year warranty is icing on the cake.

So, as I stated above, we are very pleased with this coffeemaker and regard it as a true bargain. (Though I received it courtesy of the Amazon Vine program, if I needed to buy another coffeemaker, as a gift, for example, I would buy this one, no question!)

Obviously we highly recommend it!

Thank you for reading this.

Westcott 6" Titanium Ultra Smooth Spring Assist Scissors with Lanyard - Pink
Westcott 6" Titanium Ultra Smooth Spring Assist Scissors with Lanyard - Pink
Price: $17.37
2 used & new from $17.37

5.0 out of 5 stars This Westcott 6" Titanium Scissors is an Excellent Product for Beaders and Crafters, January 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife has been a beader for over 20 years. Naturally, over that time, she has accumulated a large number of tools, including scissors and wire cutters.

However she tells me that she has not had any scissors previously which are as good as this Westcott 6" Titanium Ultra Smooth Spring Assist Scissors with Lanyard - Pink.

Not only are they sharp, they are also convenient, easy to use, and versatile.

Though she plans to continue to use her wire cutters to cut wire, she tried this scissors on the heaviest wire she uses. It cut through this wire just as well as any of the wire cutters she owns. She doesn't want to take a chance on damaging these scissors which is why she'll continue to use wire cutters but, in a pinch, she could use these in place of a wire cutter.

She tried it on thread and heavy cloth, just to see how easy it was to cut these and how well it did.

No problem with either.

Then she tried it on some heavy cardboard (just to see what it could do). It went through the cardboard like a knife through melted butter.

It seems to us that it can handle just about anything you might want to cut with it.

It comes with a lanyard by which you could wear it around your neck. But, because it is so sharp, you'd want to be extremely careful. (ALWAYS use the plastic cover which comes with it if you're wearing it!)

The lock button was initially a bit stiff, but, after a few uses, it worked in. A little tip: when locking the scissors, do NOT hold the blades together tightly; rather, have them just a bit loose. Then the button slides easily.

Needless to say, my wife is pleased in every way with this pair of scissors and she states that they will be her 'go-to' scissors from now on (unless something better is introduced!). Even its price is 'right.'

Based on my wife's high opinion of them (and take my word for it - she is tough to please!), I can wholeheartedly recommend these scissors to any beader, crafter, sewer, or anyone else who needs a really good pair.

Thank you for reading this and for considering our opinions.

Dirt Devil Lift and Go Vacuum with Swipes, Red
Dirt Devil Lift and Go Vacuum with Swipes, Red
Price: $119.00
8 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirt Devil Lift and Go UD70300B - Our Best Vacuum So Far and By Far!, December 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this Dirt Devil Lift and Go Vacuum with Swipes, Red vacuum cleaner yesterday and I have to say that it is, by far, the best vacuum cleaner we have ever owned. This is both my and my wife's opinion.

It was very easy to effect the minimal assembly and offers storage for tools (but see one minor problem later in this review) and it is easy to operate even without reading the manual. No hand tools are needed for assembly.

Every control and attachment point is well-labeled on the unit and, even if you have forgotten what you may have read in the manual (assuming you do read it - we, of course, will), you should have absolutely no problems operating this device. Just read the appropriate well-marked label on the vacuum and you'll know exactly what to do!

While fairly (though not inordinately) heavy, it is very easy to carry and use on steps because it is so well designed and balanced. As a matter of fact, it is easier to use on steps than any other vacuum cleaner in our experience.

Its suction is amazing, again far better than any other vacuum we have ever owned.

Of course it is somewhat noisy, though not as noisy as some we have owned; this evidently cannot be avoided in any such machine. (I should also mention that, on our unit, the wheels squeak. I'm reasonably sure that this is merely a sample defect and is of no real consequence to other purchasers though it is certainly noticeable to us.)

It has the longest cord of any vacuum cleaner we have ever seen. But even though it is long, it is easy to wrap on the body for storage. Some people have complained that using/winding the cord is problematic; this has not been our experience. As a matter of fact, in most of our rooms, it is not even necessary to unwind all of the cord.

Its On/Off switch is the most convenient and easy to reach one of ANY of our previous vacuum cleaners.

Its hose is also very long, as is its wand (which can reach into the tightest spaces and which my wife especially likes), and the vacuum is very easy to use with its tools. It is very flexible yet easily controllable.

It is very well designed for a convertible vacuum cleaner. Conversion is dead-simple! It works as an upright as well as any other vacuum we have owned and pushing it on carpets is very easy, easier than any of our others. And as a cannister vacuum cleaner it works better than any we have previously owned.

All of the tools are superb for their intended uses and that includes the hardwood floor dust floor tool which makes cleaning tile floors, etc., a breeze.

This vacuum cleaner is very well constructed. The unit itself is solid and the attachments do not fall off once they're connected yet they are easy to connect and remove.

Emptying the dust cup is easy too. We had vacuumed our living room with another vacuum (a Eureka Boss) just a week ago but you should have seen how much dust and dirt this unit picked up. Frankly, we were astounded.

Cleaning the two filters, the tools, and the hose is also easy and is clearly explained in the manual.

Contrary to what is written in one review here, the rotating beater brush [Turbo Tool] can indeed be easily cleaned; the cleaning instructions are in the manual. The only instruction I cannot find is how to change the belt (you're supposed to contact Dirt Devil via a toll-free telephone number if the belt needs replacement). Lubrication is, as is customary today, for the life of the product and no additional lubrication is necessary or advisable.

Mentioning that Turbo Tool brings me to the one problem we have had with assembly. Though the manual and the pictures on the carton show the Turbo Tool attached to the body for storage, we can find absolutely no way to do this. It should store underneath the 2-in-1 Combo Tool but there is just no place to attach it, at least that we can find. (My wife says that we should go to a store that sells it so we can see if it is possible to attach this tool and how it is done.) So, at least for the present, we must store this tool separately.

And there is no specific place on the body to store the Vac+Dust Floor Tool. There is a cord looped around this tool and I suppose it can be used to keep the tool "attached" to the body when the vacuum is not in use but this is very awkward and in any case the tool would have to be removed when using the vacuum even if you are not actually using this tool. Thus this tool, in practicality, has to be stored separately too.

But that aside, we can find nothing about which to complain. And in our opinion, even its price is "right."

This vacuum comes complete with every tool necessary to clean any type of flooring and, when you're using it, you will find, as I mentioned, that it can reach into and clean cramped spaces easily.

To add to its desirability, it comes with a three (3) year warranty!

This is our second Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner. Our first was the Dirt Devil Vigor Turbo Bagless Upright Vacuum, UD70110 which we have owned for two years now (and with which we remain totally satisfied).

But this new one is better.

Until we received that first Dirt Devil model, we had owned only Hoover and Eureka products. They are good units but, frankly, at least in our experience, the Dirt Devil products are superior.

Can you gather from this review that we are totally pleased with this vacuum?

We are - and we can wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone. We are certain that the vast majority of those who buy one will like it as much as we do.

Thank you very much for reading this review and for considering our opinions.

GE JVM3160DFBB 1.6 Cu. Ft. Black Over-the-Range Microwave
GE JVM3160DFBB 1.6 Cu. Ft. Black Over-the-Range Microwave
Offered by Abt Electronics
Price: $199.00
11 used & new from $189.51

5.0 out of 5 stars The GE JVW3160: A Truly Excellent Over-the-Range Microwave Oven, December 17, 2014
My wife and I are very pleased with this GE JVM3160DFBB 1.6 Cu. Ft. Black Over-the-Range Microwave oven. We had it professionally installed and have now used it for two days. Its performance is nothing short of excellent.

Having only owned free-standing microwaves, and never previously owning an over-the-range one, we did a fair amount of research, especially on that famous CONSUMER web site which does not allow its name to be used (I'm sure you know the one I mean). There, quite a number of such microwaves were reviewed and this one stood out: it came in second place (with a rating of 79) just behind the first-place model (with a rating of 81) and is the only one recommended as a Best Buy. (That first-place model, sells for $550.00, a good deal more than this one. So do many of the others.)

User reviews on that site were fair overall but all of the negative ones were, frankly, somewhat silly in our opinion, and could be ignored. (One person gave it a negative review because it is "only" 1000 watts and she wanted one with 1100 watts. How foolish! Why didn't she read the description before buying? Others complained that the charcoal filter was missing; my unit, purchased from Amazon, had it. Others complained that it is heavy. What do they expect?)

The consumer site's own review's only caveat was that this model lacks a sensor to determine when the food is done. It has been our experience that these sensors are not always accurate so the lack of that feature on this model is of no consequence to us (we wouldn't use it even if it had it!) and therefore this omission, in our opinion, is not significant.

The two or three hundred dollar savings IS significant though! This model appears to be one of the the least costly microwaves of its type which is made by a reputable manufacturer and that is currently available.

This unit cooks at least as well as any we have ever owned (and it makes popcorn better than ANY microwave we have used). Its controls are straightforward; neither my wife nor I have even read the manual yet (though I'll do that today) and we are easily able to use it.

I mentioned that ours came with the charcoal filter some complained was missing. We shall not be using that filter as we have tied the unit into our vent system which exhausts the air to the outside. The two small filters which are used in that type of application are easy to install, remove, and reinstall and they can be washed in the dishwasher.

As of this writing, Amazon's description states that this model comes with a manufacturer's "Free 10yr Warranty on Major Components."

It does not: the warranty is for one (1) year only but at least for that period GE provides both parts and labor. GE microwaves are listed as quite reliable on that aforementioned consumer web site. I trust that Electrolux, the company which is purchasing GE Appliances, will honor the warranty.

Therefore I can wholeheartedly recommend this microwave to you. I think that you'll be as pleased as we are.

Lawrence H. Bulk

+++++ Update: July 25, 2015

We have been using this microwave several times a day (as we have always used microwave ovens) and, after more than six months, it is still working as it did when new. Even the direct venting system works extremely well. We continue to recommend this GE microwave oven as highly as possible. We are completely satisfied.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17