Profile for Night Owl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 65

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Night Owl RSS Feed (Boston, Mass.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?: A Memoir
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?: A Memoir
by Roz Chast
Price: $17.71
121 used & new from $13.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Not funny - disturbingly disrespectful to the author's parents, January 1, 2015
I saw the author of this book on TV, an appearance designed to publicize the book and boost its sales. They showed photos of her parents' cluttered home, a drawer full of old pens and pencils (so what?), and she spoke derisively about their hoarding tendencies while they lived in a small apartment.

I thought to myself, what kind of daughter would do such a thing to their own mother and father? How cruel and disrespectful to air the family's dirty laundry in public? Just to make money on a book? Maybe she should have also shown her mother's soiled underwear or her father's old socks with holes?

Lots of people could write unflattering books about their parents problems or misdeeds -- but we choose to respect them (and their memory after they are deceased) for giving us life and raising us into adulthood, and we would not want to make them look bad (only with the exception of severe abuse or criminality perhaps). The author of this book strikes me as an ingrate who doesn't have any idea which lines should not be crossed.

If this book was written about a fictional family, or made to look fictional, it would be a different story. But Roz Chast made no effort to protect her parents' privacy, on the contrary. The book makes me cringe. I don't wish a child like that on anybody.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2015 11:02 AM PST

KitchenAid Classic Food Chopper, Black
KitchenAid Classic Food Chopper, Black
Offered by Duddy's Electronics
Price: $16.95
7 used & new from $12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and space in your kitchen, December 28, 2014
I'm surprised that decision makers for the KitchenAid brand cleared this product for sale. This thing does not work well at all and is impossible to clean. I would feel bad donating it to our local Goodwill store. An experience like this tarnishes KitchenAid's name/reputation - I won't be able to trust it. This product is a waste of money, as well as plastic, steel and energy to make it, and people's time buying it and trying to use it. I think Amazon would do its customers a favor by not selling it. It could help send a message to manufacturers of such gadgets that they should not be bringing poor quality products to the market (from the environmental standpoint as well).

Brighton (Images of America)
Brighton (Images of America)
by Albin Wagner
Price: $21.99
25 used & new from $1.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Brighton where?, November 14, 2014
Brighton where? How about indicating the state that this town is in? I was looking for a book about Brighton, Mass., and this pops out.

Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Turkey Food for Cat 12 Oz
Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Turkey Food for Cat 12 Oz
Price: $22.69
9 used & new from $17.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Something is fishy about this food, November 13, 2014
I don't understand all those positive reviews of this product, and wonder if they are all from actual cat owners who used it on their pets, or just family and friends of the people who make it.

These nuggets have made my cat vomit violently, not once but each time he would eat them (and I softened them with water). I then thought that he was just ill for some reason, so I put him back on his regular food (Core Wellness, and plain grilled salmon that he adores ). He was fine and happy again -- no problems.

But I still had a bag of Stella & Chewy's, so after a month or so (still well before the expiration date the following year) I decided to smuggle about 2 pieces of Stella & Chewy's into his beloved salmon. 10 minutes later -- big vomiting again.

I still didn't want to waste this food, so I started giving it to my other cat, a female, who eats everything and nothing bothers her. I mixed 3 pieces of Stella & Chewy's with her usual wet food. It worked for 2 days in a row, but on the 3rd day, about 10-15 minutes after she ate it, she too had a violent bout of vomiting.

I think something is fishy about this food, and I will never buy it again. Probably all natural digestive enzymes and probiotics get destroyed in the freeze-drying process (it all becomes dry dust that is then formed into little nuggets), and the cat's stomach has no ability to digest it. Maybe some cats can -- but I don't think this is a healthy food for cats. Just a big marketing ploy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2015 10:18 AM PST

222 Fifth Gabrielle Red Serving Bowl - 10"
222 Fifth Gabrielle Red Serving Bowl - 10"

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality not what it used to be, October 4, 2014
I have bought a whole bunch of 222 Fifth Gabrielle dishes over the years, and I have noticed progressive deterioration in quality. They have gotten heavier, less refined, and there are some flaws in the pattern.

This bowl was made in Indonesia, but could have been made in China (no difference as far as quality goes). I got it at TJMaxx, and it looks nice from a distance -- but when you pick it up, it feels very thick and quite heavy (those dishes used to be lighter -- I still have some of about the same size, and they are not as clunky and heavy). It also has visible seams where the pattern was applied in the bottom (inside). On the outside, you see protruding seams from the form in the manufacturing process.

But the biggest kicker is that it says on the reverse "Fine China", and it's a total lie. It's as heavy as stoneware. My spouse picked it up and told me to return it. The only reason I'm keeping it is that it will look nice on the table with food in it -- but with its weight I do not look forward to washing it frequently.

With another set of 222 Fifth dishes I have, older pieces have nicer, sharper colors, and the new ones are duller. I don't understand why this company keeps changing things for worse. They must be moving production to different places/countries -- and the dishes are not what they used to be. Shame.

Arthur Court Grape Salad Tongs
Arthur Court Grape Salad Tongs
Offered by Mary B Decorative Art
Price: $27.00
6 used & new from $27.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Turned dark grey, and no longer look nice, September 15, 2014
Very nice design, and good functionality - but the initial bright, shiny color is now dull, dark grey. This is very disappointing.

How can Arthur Court sell these things without some kind of instructions on how to prevent the loss of brightness, and when lost, how to get it back. Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of that dull dark grey color? What causes it? Is it acid in the food, or something else?

I recently purchased some other Arthur Court metal items -- they're still shiny, but I worry that they may lose their color and shine too. Do all Arthur Court metal items become dark grey? If someone knows, please respond.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 9:47 PM PDT

Wellness CORE Grain Free Dry Cat Food for Adult Cats, Original Fish and Fowl Recipe, 5-Pound and 14-Ounce
Price: $24.37
20 used & new from $20.93

1.0 out of 5 stars This food has made my cat deathly sick, July 26, 2014
Beware - this "health" pet food poses a grave danger to cats!!! If you use it long-term, I believe it's only a matter of time before your cat will come down with a life-threatening disease and possibly die prematurely.

I was feeding it to my cat for 7 years -- nothing else, just this, because he liked it (he was hooked on that fake flavor that is intentionally added to get the cats hooked). I thought it was good for him. He used to be healthy and vibrant -- but then suddenly became skin and bones (lost over 1/3 of his body weight) and very sluggish, and appeared in pain.

I had to spend over $1,000 just to learn that he has a severely inflamed liver (an ultrasound detected some nodules on it), enlarged lymph nodes, kidney stones, a raging infection in his bladder, and vitamin B12 deficiency. Additional "gifts" from this food included thick, dark-brown plaque on his teeth, bad breath, and extremely smelly (with a strange tinge of sweet smell) stools. Poor cat -- he is really sick.

The irony is that Core Wellness may be better than some other dry food brands -- but it does not matter, because they are all BAD for cats. To have a long shelf-life, and to be cheap to make, this food is highly processed (it's basically a brown-colored sterile "sawdust" pressed into pellets), and has lots of chemicals, preservatives, and other additives that the cat's liver has to constantly detoxify from his body. After a while, the cat's system can't take it and starts breaking down.

I am now spending much time and energy nursing my cat back to health. He is on a number of medications that I need force on him daily. I have also stopped giving him that terrible dry food. I feed him Instinct and RAD frozen raw food, some fresh salmon and chicken, and I give him feline probiotics. He is a little finicky now, but is warming up to this new diet. His appetite has returned. I will never feed him Core Wellness or any other dry food again.

UPDATE a few months later:
It is possible that the illness was caused by expired Core Wellness dry food (we ordered it on line and didn't realize it was expired). He became so ill, he could not hold any food down -- constant vomiting. He has now recovered, but is very picky. RAD frozen raw food didn't work out. He will only eat Core Wellness grain-free dry food (again!) and grilled salmon. I add ground flax seed to his salmon, and mix it with warm water to make sure he is well hydrated (to diminish the possibility of UTI). I will continue to test other wet foods on him, and use dry food very sparingly.

International Book of Lofts
International Book of Lofts
by Suzanne Sleisin
86 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-published great ideas book, June 27, 2014
I strongly disagree with another reviewer who characterized this book as dated. There is nothing "dated" about this book. Just because a book was not published this or last year does not negate its value.

Lofts are TIMELESS. You can have a loft that feels like the 1890s or the 1980s. You can have a loft that feels like a space ship, or an Irish pub, or a greenhouse with tropical plants, or a country barn. This book shows hundreds of great looking loft spaces that reflect different esthetics, and it is fascinating to anyone with an interest in creating unique interior spaces (lofts or not).

Overall, this book is immensely useful to people who are searching for ideas to make loft space stylish and original - not just a boring, boxy, industrial looking space.

Also, this book was very well published - on high quality glossy paper, hard cover, with a very sturdy spine, large size but not as heavy or difficult to handle as a coffee table book. It's a pleasure to hold and to read it. Lots of excellent photographs to inspire your thinking.

Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier
by Edward L. Glaeser
Price: $18.20
101 used & new from $6.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and annoying book, March 13, 2014
The title itself is a ridiculous generalization. Living in a big city makes you happy? Really, is it that simple? Being stuck in congestion, surrounded by crowds, noise, overdevelopment encroaching from all directions, and the rat race sucking you in so you can keep up with the constantly accelerating cost of living - oh, what a great Shangri-La that is. Ed Glaeser is a simpleton and a cheerleader for urban capitalism at its worst. He is also hypocritical, lobbying for densification of Boston while he himself lives in suburban comfort outside of the city, and does not need to worry about his own quality of life to be impacted by his ideas.

PORTMEIRION BOTANIC GARDEN TERRACE Bell shape mugs asst set of 4
PORTMEIRION BOTANIC GARDEN TERRACE Bell shape mugs asst set of 4
Offered by Finchwood
Price: $57.99
5 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mugs, March 3, 2014
I was worried that those mugs would be thick and clunky like some of the Portmeirion Botanic Garden dishes that I have, but they are exquisite, thin porcelain. They still go with the other dishes, but they are lighter and more elegant. I love the shape too, and the size and design of the handle. Perfect!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7