Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Browse

Avid Reader's Profile

Customer Reviews: 85

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Avid Reader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
You: A Novel
You: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and disturbing -- in a good way!, January 25, 2015
This review is from: You: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Creepy and disturbing, but I couldn't put this book down. This novel is told from the point of view of an obsessive stalker named Joe Goldberg who falls in love immediately after meeting a young woman named Beck, believing she feels that connection as well. After "accidentally" meeting again when Joe saves Beck, they begin to form some type of relationship. Joe is patiently waiting for Beck to realize she loves him too. He is completely delusional and what is compelling about this novel is that Joe is somehow sympathetic at times and Beck is just thoughtless and self-centered enough for the reader to forget for a moment that Joe is a crazy, demented stalker. I would be completely lost in the novel, almost cautiously rooting for Joe, when he'd do something so creepy that I'd shudder in disgust and wonder what I could have been thinking. This novel isn't for everyone, but it's filled with suspense and has a great "creep factor"!

Five Days Left
Five Days Left
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 14, 2014
This review is from: Five Days Left (Kindle Edition)
Such a sad book, but well done.

[Apple MFI Certified] iXCC ® Lightning Cable 3ft (Three Feet) Element Series 8 pin to USB SYNC Cable Charger Cord for Apple iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c / 6 / 6 Plus, iPod 7, iPad Mini / mini 2/ mini 3, iPad 4 / iPad Air / iPad Air 2(Compatible with iOS 8) [White]
Offered by iXCC
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $7.99

We Need to Talk About Kevin
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Price: $7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disturbing, but incredibly well written, May 28, 2014
We Need to Talk About Kevin was horrifying and deeply disturbing. I feel sick to my stomach and on the verge of tears after reading it. Truly, my stomach is in knots and hurts as I write this. Although extremely difficult subject matter, it is clearly incredibly well written in order to evoke such a strong physical response in me. I'd recommend this book, but only if you're able to stomach such horrifying subject matter and weigh the thoughts of nature vs. nurture.

You Should Have Known
You Should Have Known
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow at first, then picks up, May 28, 2014
Smug, self-satisfied Grace, a wealthy therapist with a son in the perfect private school and a husband who is a pediatric oncologist, has written a book entitled, You Should Have Known, a condescending book telling women the problems in their marriage could have been avoided if they had paid attention to the signs when they first met their husband. Inevitably, Grace is knocked off her high horse and her life begins to unravel.

Although the premise of this book is fascinating, Grace's annoying smugness is hard to take in the first third of the book and I found myself skimming the book because I was so bored and Grace's character was so unlikable. As her life exploded, the book really picked up and was really quite good. I enjoyed how the reader slowly learned the truth about Grace's husband as it was revealed to her. Unfortunately, the book petered out a bit, getting slow again toward the end. I would recommend this book, but you'll have to have some patience.

The Happy Endings Book Club
The Happy Endings Book Club
Price: $3.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, May 12, 2014
Just ok. Disappointing, I'd read the reviews that it had nothing to do with their book club, but it truly had NOTHING to do with a book club, and it was just embarrassing that the book the club finally met to discuss (even though the reader doesn't read a word about the discussion) was written by the author of the book??? How egotistical.

Home Front: A Novel
Home Front: A Novel
by Kristin Hannah
Price: $10.60
211 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, but doesn't always ring true, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Paperback)
This is a hard review to write because I'd like to give Home Front four stars, but I just can't. Kristin Hannah handles the subject of a military family with clear compassion and doesn't gloss over the homecoming to make everything ok. Her novel highlights many of the issues facing military families, such as PTSD, arriving home injured, and a soldier feeling changed forever after war. The story was very well done and I definitely recommend this book.

Hannah's writing is excellent in parts, but there is no room for the reader to form his/her own opinion, which I've found to be true in some (but not all) of her books. Hannah writes in a way that's very easy to read, her story moves forward and I really enjoy reading her novels because of that. However, I find myself feeling irritated at times because her writing is a bit too "in your face" for me. It lacks subtlety and there's little room for the reader to think. When Michael felt he'd made some mistakes in his treatment of Jolene and shared his feeling, his mother's character seemed unrealistically 100% on Jolene's side. She assumed immediately that her son must have been wrong. No questions asked. There was no guessing on whose side the reader was supposed to be. It also bothered me that Jolene's character was an extremely strong woman, a soldier who always knew her duty, and was able to face battle, closing out everything else to be courageous. If this is true of her character, wouldn't she be insulted when her PT called her "soldier girl"? She is a woman, not a girl, a very brave woman and it seems insulting, even to me. Jolene also came home feeling very angry and bitter, so to accept being called "soldier girl" seemed very out of character.

That said, I still recommend Home Front. I think it brings many issues for military families to the forefront and I think Hannah has written a very compelling novel.

Before The Storm
Before The Storm
by Diane Chamberlain
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Diane Chamberlain is my new favorite author!, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Before The Storm (Paperback)
I accidentally read the sequel to this novel first (Secrets She Left Behind), but even though I knew what ultimately happened, I still really enjoyed learning the back story and getting to know each of the characters on a deeper level. Diane Chamberlain keeps me riveted and I think it's because I come to know and care very deeply for her characters. I cannot put her books down!

A Visit from the Goon Squad
A Visit from the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan
Price: $9.19
514 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Time is a goon, December 29, 2011
I'm trying to put into words what I felt about this book. It wasn't easy reading for me, I must say that straight out. It was difficult to keep all the characters straight and some of them were not very likeable, although all of them were interesting.

The word "goon" from the title refers to time. In the past, goon squads referred to groups of violent thugs who would beat people up and in the book, one of the characters states, "Time's a goon, right?" It's actually quite sad as this quote refers to time robbing the characters of their youth. Many of the characters are/were in the music business, were wildly successful at one time, and as this book travels back and forth in time, we see that happiness and success are limited. Time on Earth is limited. We get old and things change.

This novel is a collection of stories, each with a different narrator and told in a different way. One of the chapters is written in powerpoint format. I must say this book is unique; I've never read anything like it. At times I had difficulty connecting with this novel, probably because each chapter was from a different point of view, but the characters were well-developed and it was definitely worth reading.

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
by Jennifer McMahon
Price: $12.54
136 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, disturbing, intriguing, and definitely suspenseful..., December 29, 2011
My friends and I call this "The Creepy Girl Book", which I love. When you walk past this book while reading it, you instinctively want to turn the cover face down because it's so...well, creepy. Honestly, I was uncertain about how to rate this book. There were so many twists and turns that it was difficult to keep it all straight and I'm still not sure I know exactly what happened, but I think that's how the book is intended. I don't read fantasy and when I was reading this book, I was back and forth. Is this fantasy? No, it's not. Wait...is it? I think so. No, maybe not. I do have to say that this book was a page-turner and I felt compelled to finish and learn what really happened to Lisa!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9