Profile for Barnaby Dorfman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 146

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barnaby Dorfman RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
wikiHow
wikiHow
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars wikiHow Rocks!, October 21, 2009
This review is from: wikiHow (Kindle Edition)
wikiHow is a both a great resource and community of people dedicated to writing a complete how-to manual for life. I've learned a ton of tips and trick from them on a wide variety of subjects. Beyond informing, there are also a lot of humorous and fun project ideas. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School
by Kathleen Flinn
21 used & new from $1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars I've thought about it, she did it!, August 22, 2009
I love to cook, but am mostly self-taught. Even though I worked in a variety of professional kitchens and learned much on the job, I've never taken formal cooking lessons. After reading the Julia Child bio My Life in France (Movie Tie-In Edition) (Random House Movie Tie-In Books), I wondered what it would be like to attend the modern-day Cordon Bleu. Kathleen Flinn does a wonderful job of bringing the reader along for her experiences going through the program. Beyond the excellent vicarious education it provides, the book is a colorful travelogue filled with fascinating characters. A very enjoyable read that I was sorry to finish.

The Joy of Oysters
The Joy of Oysters
by Lori McKean
34 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Oyster Resource!!, July 29, 2009
This review is from: The Joy of Oysters (Paperback)
Co-author, "Oyster Bill" Whitbeck, is one of the world's leading authorities on Oysters and a fixture on the Seattle food scene. His book combines great recipes with oyster related history, biology, culture, and geography. Recipes range from the authors' own to ones from famous restaurants like the Grand Central Oyster Bar in New York (a personal favorite). Their guide "Oyster Sensory Appreciation" provides a whole vocabulary for how to think about selecting and eating oysters. If you are someone who loves oysters and/or wants to learn more about them, you cannot go wrong with this book.

The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine
The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine
by Steven Rinella
27 used & new from $28.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I look for in a book!, April 26, 2009
I met Steven Rinella at Words & Wine, a local author interview series here in Seattle. I hadn't read any of his writing, but immediately liked the concept of this book. It's not often that you get to chat with an author before reading their work, so I was excited to hear him speak. I liked him immediately...he was funny, quirky, and extremely interesting as we chatted about the current state of the publishing industry, technology, and hunting over wine and cheese. He struck me as both incredibly knowledgeable and naive at the same time, one of several seeming contradictions in his character that somehow fit together. Though Steven was on tour promoting American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, I was most interested in the "Scavenger Guide," given my love of cooking. After hearing him speak, I couldn't wait to get started reading.

I've never been much of a hunter, though I did a lot of shooting as a kid and have always loved all forms of fishing. This book has greatly increased my desire to start hunting, including large game. It's not the macho, chest-thumping, killing that appeals, but much more the sense of connectedness to a food source that I want. Unless you are a strict vegan, we live off of animals, and in all cases, humans subsist on other living things. As Steven points out, there is no form of meat that is more natural, organic, healthy, and yes sustainable, than wild game.

But enough about the hunting. I loved this book because it provides all the elements I look for in non-fiction (and fiction): history, travel, politics, meaningful personal experiences, great characters, useful facts, and lots of humor with great use of language.

I'm looking forward to reading "Buffalo" and have created a new spot in my mental bookshelf of favorites for Steven Rinella; alongside Mark Kurlansky, Bill Buford, Tony Bourdain, and Bill Bryson.

Newtons Fruit Crisp Snacks, Apple Cinnamon, 8-Count Boxes (Pack of 6)
Newtons Fruit Crisp Snacks, Apple Cinnamon, 8-Count Boxes (Pack of 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Flavor, October 23, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of the whole Newton family, absolutely love Apple Newtons. I also think that the "food bar" space still has room for more new products. So I was interested to try these "Fruit Crisps," but ultimately came away disappointed. The filling is fine, the problem is in the shell, it has a nice crispy texture, but doesn't taste like much. As a simple fix I'd add a bit of salt to the dough, but think they could go further and flavor it. Ever had a nice bit of sharp cheddar cheese with an apple? That's the direction I'm thinking. Maybe make the shell out of "Cheese Nip" dough...that would be awesome...it's even the same company, just mix 'em up!

Belle in the Big Apple: A Novel with Recipes
Belle in the Big Apple: A Novel with Recipes
by Brooke Parkhurst
96 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work, September 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really liked the idea of weaving recipes into a novel, especially since reading about food and cooking in literature has always had a strong impact on me. I've been know to travel far and wide to find special ingredients after reading about a dish being prepared in a novel. For some reason the effect is even stronger with fiction than in a cooking magazine or cookbook, perhaps because it is usually fit within some interesting life experience. So, you can imagine my interest when I read the premise of this book...big disappointment. I won't go into great critical detail here, since I basically agree with what most of the other reviewers have said. I will, however, encourage other authors to take a shot at this approach, because I think a market exists for combining recipes and fiction.

Wheat Thins, Fiber Select, 5 Grain, 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Wheat Thins, Fiber Select, 5 Grain, 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Regular!, September 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow, I really like these wheat thins. They are lighter and less greasy than the classic ones and the salt is applied to the surface in a way that you really taste it in each bite. There's also something more interesting in the flavor, perhaps from the extra grains. Good with cheese, but a bit small to accommodate a good hunk of cheddar or for slathering a soft cheese.

The Cook's Country Cookbook: Regional and Heirloom Favorites Tested and Reimagined for Today's Home Cooks
by America's Test Kitchen
63 used & new from $6.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for "the Basics", September 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cookbook was published by America's Test Kitchen, the folks who put out "Cooks Illustrated." It's a great compendium and yet one that I'm having trouble categorizing. Each recipe has a long introduction with a lot of details on the selection of ingredients and the proper technique to have it come out perfect every time. Of course, the publishers' hallmark is extensive testing and experimenting to find the best way of making everything. I like this about them and the way it works in this cookbook. What I find a bit odd is some the selection of recipes. It claims to be "The Best of American Country Cooking," and while I appreciate a lot of the deep takes on basics like Red Velvet Cake, Oyster Po' Boys, and King Ranch Casserole...I'm not sure why recipes like Chicken Marengo made the cut. Here's an excerpt from the 1 page intro to that one:

"Legend has it that this stew was invented by Napolean's chef, a man named Dunand, after a victory over the Austrians near the Italian town of Marengo in 1800..."

Still, for someone who wants a great set of well presented "American" recipes, this is a great choice. When I moved to Spain in 1986, I took "the Joy of Cooking" so that I could recreate American favorites for my Spanish friends...if I had a similar need today, I'd seriously consider this instead.

Air Hogs Havoc Heli - Colors May Vary
Air Hogs Havoc Heli - Colors May Vary
Offered by richardarizaga
Price: $44.99
11 used & new from $13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra great fun with slight modification..., August 18, 2007
I've really been enjoyiong my helicopter, but it definitely takes some time to learn and finesse to control. It's very sensitive to slight movements on the controller. I was having a hard time getting it to move forward until I added some weight to the front of the nose. I tried a few things, including a dime, which caused it to zoom forward and hit the walls before I could turn it. Then it tried taping bits of aluminum foil to the front, adding bit by bit until I got the right amount of forward motion. Now I can drive it around the house with great control. The best toy I've bought for under $[...] in a long time!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2008 3:17 PM PST

This Side of Brightness: A Novel
This Side of Brightness: A Novel
by Colum McCann
Price: $13.10
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars From the opening sentence, I knew I had to read this book...., March 28, 2007
My mother sent me This Side of Brightness and I consumed it with more hunger than any novel in recent memory. The Author's words washed over my brain and seeped in like cold seafoam on sand dunes. At times I got pissed at The Author and what he does to his characters! Couldn't he give them a break? Does it have to be so hard? So real? and still, I was compelled to follow his people through their lives in our city...passing through my history, my neighborhood, my thoughts. As I heard, watched, smelled, and felt their presence...I thought: "But for the grace of The Author, there go I."

If you've read this book, you should see this movie: Dark Days

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15