Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for M. Garrison > Reviews

Browse

M. Garrison's Profile

Customer Reviews: 352

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Garrison RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Born Free Breeze 9 oz. Glass Bottle, 2-Pack
Born Free Breeze 9 oz. Glass Bottle, 2-Pack
Price: $23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and easy to use -- but the vent is a big problem, May 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At this point, I've gone through at least ten different types of bottles, trying to find one that works for my son but isn't the massive pain to clean that the Dr. Brown bottles are. It's also important to me to use glass bottles, so I was super excited to see these. And on the upside, they really are beautiful bottles, and here are some of the things I liked best about them:

* the ounce markings are nice and high contrast and easy to read even in dim lighting, which is not usually the case with glass bottles
* the big selling point of these bottles is that they only have two pieces to clean and assemble, and I hugely appreciated that.
* while my son hates the nipples on the regular Born Free bottles, he took to this one just fine.
* the bottle mouth is wide enough to make filling and cleaning easily.

Unfortunately, all of that is largely trumped by problems with the vent. It's integrated into the nipple, but that in of itself shouldn't be a problem -- our Simba bottles work that way and their vent works just fine. But this vent collapses in on itself and doesn't vent -- which means the pressure inside the bottle decreases and the nipple collapses to the point where it isn't possible to keep pulling milk out. The company is clearly aware of this issue, since the bottles shipped with an illustrated warning showing how to prime the vent repeatedly before each use. The vent is small enough that this is an awkward step to try to do (especially in the exhausted wee hours), but I did as instructed, only to have the vent vail and the nipple collapse anyway. This means that the only way to use the bottle was to take the bottle out of my son's mouth and unscrew the nipple ring to let more air in about every ounce or so -- and anyone who has fed a hungry baby can imagine how awesomely this went over. We had the same problem with each bottle, so I don't think it was just a random dud.

I really wanted to love this bottle, but I just can't recommend it until they fix the vent.

NUK Triple Action Bottle and Nipple Brush
NUK Triple Action Bottle and Nipple Brush
Price: $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a superb job, even with our extra tough bottles with thickened feeds!, May 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great bottle brush -- the combo of the bristles and sponge in the head gets at the "gunk" in the bottles better than other ones I've tried, most of which are either all bristle, all sponge, or bristles on the side and sponge at the very top. My son needs thickener in his bottles, so they can be extra tough to clean, and this brush does the job. I also think it helps that this brush is a little shorter than many of the other brushes I've tried, since it ends up being easier on my wrist that way.

The Clever Cookbook: Get-Ahead Strategies and Timesaving Tips for Stress-Free Home Cooking
by Emilie Raffa
Price: $14.66
70 used & new from $11.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook that actually delivers on being easy, quick, and yummy!, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am always on the lookout for cookbooks that are a fit for my particular mix of no time, few skills, but wanting to make and eat actual good food. While probably 90% of the cookbooks I pick up are a massive letdown on at least one of those three factors, this one manages to score a win on all counts. Here are some things I love:

* The book really doesn't assume that I have some set of standard food prep knowledge -- for example, it explains the most efficient way to use one of those handheld veggie chopper gadgets, how to prep veggies differently if I'm going to be freezing them vs. using them that week, and what to look for in choosing garlic bulbs at the store.

* It also doesn't go the ridiculous route that too many cookbooks do in claiming that prep time of an hour or more is a "quick" dinner. There are lots of options in here that I can use to create a good, company-ready meal in under 20 minutes. And while the recipes sometimes achieve this by using some purchased prepared ingredients, it's with things I'd *want* to cook with -- i.e., the dried cheese tortellini I can get a Trader Joes, and not the can of creamed mushroom soup I have awful childhood memories about.

* It has some great basic foundation recipes -- like how to make your own chicken stock, spice blends, and compound butters -- that actually seem worth making, and then shows you how to use those to save time in your cooking.

* At least 30% of the recipes are for things I'd actually want to eat. Between food allergies and some funky tastes, I'm usually hitting closer to 15% in a typical cookbook.

The only thing I really wish this recipe had was freezing instructions for all the recipes -- or even just a note saying that a given recipe doesn't freeze and reheat well.

Wellness CORE Grain Free Chicken & Turkey Natural Wet Canned Cat Food, 5.5-Ounce Can (Pack of 24)
Price: $39.99
15 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My cats really like this one, but only intermittently, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was all excited about this cat food because I have two picky cats (one old, one young) who are both huge liver fans. This has turned out to be one of those canned foods that they enjoy every now and then, but if I serve it two days in a row, they ignore it on the second day. Part of it may be that this canned food is simply more dense than most of the kinds they eat, including their prescription cat food -- which is good in that the content is probably more food and less water, but it means that the texture is just different than what they are used to.I'm going to try their "beef, venison, and lamb" version next, and see if they like that better.

Playtex Sipsters Stage 1 Soft Spout Sippy Cups - 6 Ounce - 2 Pack
Playtex Sipsters Stage 1 Soft Spout Sippy Cups - 6 Ounce - 2 Pack
Price: $6.99
10 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars They work, but my son likes the Nuk ones much better, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These definitely work as advertised, but my son has a much easier time drinking out of the Nuk ones, I think because of size and shape of the spout. He's only 6 months, though, and I think these will work much better of him as he gets a bit older.

RADEX RD1503+ High accuracy Geiger counter, radiation detector
RADEX RD1503+ High accuracy Geiger counter, radiation detector
Price: $160.08
8 used & new from $145.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, but challenging to replicate measurements with any precision, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
On the upside, this was super easy to set up and learn to use. I tested it out on all sorts of things, including the radioactive cat waste I had to store for awhile after my cat's thyroid procedure.The only real downside for me was that it was really difficult to replicate the readings with any degree of precision -- but given that I wouldn't be using this to try to get super precise readings for scientific experiments, the variability isn't a deal breaker for me. It's still good enough to give me a good sense of safe vs. not safe, which is all I needed/
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2016 2:22 PM PDT

Born Free BPA-Free Soft Silicone Teether
Born Free BPA-Free Soft Silicone Teether
Price: $5.99
9 used & new from $1.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Especially great for babies who start teething early, April 10, 2016
A lot of the teethers out there just don't work well for babies who start teething early, since they are too hard for a 3 or 4 month old to grab onto well. This one is great in that regard -- it's lightweight, flexible, and has easy to grab handles.

I do end up needing to run it through the dishwasher pretty frequently, though, because it's the kind of silicone that attracts every bit of lint, dust, and pet hair like crazy.

The Pea That Was Me (Volume 4): A Single Mom's/Sperm Donation Children's Story
The Pea That Was Me (Volume 4): A Single Mom's/Sperm Donation Children's Story
by Kim Kluger-Bell
Price: $14.95
27 used & new from $10.43

2.0 out of 5 stars Errors make it inappropriate for children of SMCs, April 7, 2016
I've added photos of the two parts of this book that were problematic for other single mom reviewers, so that people can decide for themselves if this would be problematic for them.

Unfortunately, due to an error, this book about "a single Mom's sperm donation story" ask for the dad's name on the "about me" section of the last page, and it isn't even the kind of thing that can be easily pasted over, given the positioning. It also says "where we found our donor", which implies that more than one adult/parent was involved in selecting the donor.

The page describing the mom as single does have a slightly sad face -- for me, that's not something I'd noticed until the other reviewer pointed it out.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pacifier Clip 4 Pack by Akeekah Unique 2 Sided Unisex Design Pacifier Holder for Boy and Girl Binky Leash with Plastic Clip Washable Perfect Baby Shower Gift
Offered by Akeekah
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best paci (and lovey and toy) leashes I've found, March 25, 2016
These are by far the best pacifier leashes I've found. Because the attachment end is made of elastic cord, it's been easy to use these not only for a wide variety of pacifier brands, but also for loveys and small toys we want to keep in baby's reach (and not on the floor!) in an airplane, restaurant, etc. I also love that the clasps are plastic rather than metal, and are easy to open even for my arthritis fingers -- although it did take me a minute to figure out the trick of it, which made me wish that they shipped with instructions. Basically, instead of trying to pry open the jaws of the clasp, flip up the lever on the other end of the clasp, that points towards the leash. When you do that, the jaws of the clasp open automatically -- and when you close the lever, the jaws lock closed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2016 5:38 PM PDT

Baby's Touch Baby Safe Reusable Hand & Foot Print Ink Pads - BLUE
Baby's Touch Baby Safe Reusable Hand & Foot Print Ink Pads - BLUE
Offered by Save The Moment Limited
Price: $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Super easy to use and quick clean-up, I just wish it came in a brighter color, March 7, 2016
I love how incredibly easy to use this is, and how quickly and simply it washes off -- I was able to just wipe it off his feet and hands using a diaper wipe. I use this stamping pad to have my baby "sign" cards to grandparents and such, and it does end up looking cute. I just really wish that it came in more colors or was even a darker shade of blue -- it's a very light blue, and so doesn't show up with as much contrast as I'd like on most types of paper I've tried it on. But if you're looking for something to stamp your baby's hand and foot prints in a baby book or some such, this definitely works -- and despite my concerns, it does dry nice and smudge free.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20