Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Profile for M. Garrison > Reviews

M. Garrison's Profile

Customer Reviews: 316

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Garrison RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vicks Sweetdreams Cool Mist Humidifier
Vicks Sweetdreams Cool Mist Humidifier
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great humidifer for this price, and would make a good baby shower gift., November 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, this is a nice and functional humidifier for me. I have it in my room right now, since the baby's bassinet (and stuffy nose) are in my bedroom, which means I've been pretty up close and personal with how it works and the noise level and such. Like the other Vicks cool mist humidifers I've used, it does a good job of humidifying the air throughout the room and not just dumping a puddle of moisture near the unit. I actually have it sitting on the wood floor, unprotected, and the floor around it hasn't been noticeably damp at all.

The humidifying function itself is nice and quiet -- what gets somehwat noisy is the water trickling from one chamber to the other inside the machine -- which means that it is at its loudest when you have just filled it. Surprisingly to me for a machine at this price point, it also responded really well when I tripped over it -- the machine stopped, waited until it had resettled, and then begain again. I've had some before that would have either kept running (and possibly spilled while tipped) or just shut off altogether and required a manual restart.

The ceiling light display is nice; I've seen some that were far too bright and could have negatively impacted sleep and circadian regulation, but this is just barely bright enough to function as a nightlight. I do leave it on the "stars" mode most of the time, as the other two themes are a bit cheesy fo rme, but I'm sure a two-year-old would feel differently. :)

All in all, it is working great as a humidifer for me, and I can very much see myselff getting it for someone as a baby shower present.

Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, Grey
Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, Grey
Price: $89.99
9 used & new from $73.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Larger than ideal for me, but still the best stainless steel diaper pail I've tried, November 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think that I've now tried all the various stainless steel diaper pails out there, and this one is my favorite. It is easy to use, and the mechanism is far more reliable than the one on the Ubbi -- which in turn means that it is both more childproof and more nanny/MIL/babysitter-of-the-week friendly. I love that it uses regular ktichen size garbage bags, and it is easy to swap them in and out. FWIW, it seems like it would also work just fine with a nylon bag or such for a cloth diaper pail, and I may switch to using it for that at some point (since my cloth pail is not even a little childproof).

My only beef with this diaper pail is how large it is. The product description lists that as an advantage, but I haven't experienced it that way -- I'm not apt to fill it to the truly full capacity because I empty my trash more often than that, and it really does take up more floor space than most diaper pails. Maybe the added capacity would be worth it if you have twins or two in diapers, though.

Reynolds Wrap Extra Heavy Duty Foil Grill and Oven Bags, 4 Count
Reynolds Wrap Extra Heavy Duty Foil Grill and Oven Bags, 4 Count
Price: $4.98
7 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and works super great, even if only a little better than the ones I make myself from rolls of foil, November 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These foil packets make it super easy to grill veggies and and meat together while minimizing clean-up time. Of course, I've made foil packets myself starting from just the regular roll of foil, and that's obviously the less expensive option. But for me, these have three advantages:

* They seem a bit sturdier and less likely to rip, which makes it easier to fill them in the kitchen and then carry them out to the grill.
* For fish and some cuts of meat, it can sometimes help to have them rest as flat on the grill as possible. When I make foil packets myself, all these crinkles inevitably end up working their way in -- which isn't a problem at all if I'm just grilling sliced sausages with veggies (yummm), but can make things a bit more challenging if I'm grilling a delicate fish filet.
* For me at least, if I'm grilling things in a foil packet, it is often because I'm exhausted and having a "I really don't feel like cooking" night -- and so the convenience of having the packets already made for me is a definite plus.

Baffin Cush Booty Slipper,Electric Blue,Medium(7-8 M US Women's)
Baffin Cush Booty Slipper,Electric Blue,Medium(7-8 M US Women's)
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the warmth and coziness I needed. :D, November 5, 2015
These are the best slippers ever for preventing all the pain that can come from cold feet with Raynauds syndrome. I keep these on pretty much 24/7 while at home, and even sleep with them on. They are comfiest with wool socks, but they can also keep my feet warm and comfortable with nothing else on them. I haven't experienced the durability issues some have complained about in reviews, and that's after a month of heavy use.

Contigo Matterhorn Water Bottle, 20 oz, Matte Black with Scuba
Contigo Matterhorn Water Bottle, 20 oz, Matte Black with Scuba
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great water bottle, even if it is not quite the One Water Bottle to Save Them All, November 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a diehard fan of the contigo metal water bottles that have the push-to-drink tops -- but those are also just enough of a pain to clean that I'm always looking for something else that might be better. And this water bottle definitely has some strong things in its favor, and which one you prefer is probably just going to come down to your own needs. Things I like better about this one?

* The top comes off and apart super easily, making it very simple to clean.
* I feel like I don't have the same mouthful of plastic I do with the other one -- and since I'm using metal water bottles to avoid ingesting plastic and all the things that leech out of it, that's definitely a plus.
* It does a better job of keeping my cold water cold without freezing my hand off.
* There's no flow limitation, so when I'm thirsty, I can drink as quickly as I can gulp it all down.

That said, there are a couple of ways in which it falls short of my usual contigos:
* The mouth is narrow enough that you can't clean it by hand without a bottle brush, and it's too tall for the top rack of the dishwasher. That makes it especially irritating if I'm wanting to clean it out somewhere other than home, which is often the case.
* Once this is open, there is nothing that keeps it all from spilling out quickly if you are clutzy or trying to drink from an awkward position. With my usual contigos, on the other hand, I can drink just fine even lying flat in bed (which bedrest has me doing a lot of, thank you, baby).

All that said, it's a great water bottle -- it's just not the One Perfect Water Bottle for all parts of my life. It's superb for keeping at my desk at work, though, and I would probably find it just as great on a hike. :)

Munchkin Clean Cradle Tub, Green
Munchkin Clean Cradle Tub, Green
Price: $31.49
13 used & new from $25.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the first 4 months or so, but it takes up a lot of space in my tiny bathroom, October 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are a lot of things that make this infant bathtub great for the early months:
* You can use it on the kitchen counter, and there is a spout that drains neatly into the sink. This works much better for me than the ones that are supposed to go into the kitchen sink, but never quite fit well with the shape of my double sink and faucet, and makes bathing a newborn easy on the back.
* Unlike some infant bath tubs and bath sponges, the water quickly drains out below the infant -- which means that he isn't sitting there soaking in his own dirty water and pee. It's also easier for me to regulate the temperature this way, since I'm not having to adjust for how the water he's sitting in is slowly getting cooler, because he isn't immersed at all.
* Compared to the others I've tried, this is incredibly easy to clean up if you happen to have a poo accident during bathtime (and doesn't everyone experience that sooner or later?)

On the downside, this doesn't collapse or fold at all, nor does it hang easily from a hook in my shower like another bathtub I tried. It's not huge, but it's just bulky enough that it takes up a lot of the floor space in my tiny bathroom if I try to just stash it next to the bathtub. And, this may be obvious, but this is not one of the infant bathtubs that can convert and still be usable once your baby sit sitting up and ready to play in the tub -- it's big enough and stable enough that it lasts longer than the simple bath slings do, but I can't imagine safely bathing a typical 6-8 month old in this. That said, it works great for those first months.

Not Less Than Gods (The Company)
Not Less Than Gods (The Company)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh, October 15, 2015
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as Kage Baker's other novels set in the world of The Company, but it does provide good backstory on Edward.

Tiny Love Gymini Bouncer, Blue/Yellow
Tiny Love Gymini Bouncer, Blue/Yellow
Price: $39.98
27 used & new from $39.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Uglier in person, but definitely the most useful and functional bouncy seat I've found, October 15, 2015
I will admit that when I first opened this box, I was a little disappointed. The colors and graphics that looked so bright and vibrant online come across as more garish and harsh in person. And putting it together was definitely a bit of a pain -- it only took about 5-10 minutes, but it was hard to get some of the pieces together. All that said, this is so much more functional than any other bouncy seat I've looked at (except for the ones that are insanely pricey) that it's well worth putting up with these drawbacks, I love that it's so easy to move the toy bars out of the way (even if I wish it didn't make such a loud clicking noise when you do it), since that makes it so much easier to get the baby in and out. Plus, I've seen babies get overstimulated in some bouncy seats where their entire visual field is taken up by the toy bar and there's no visual escape -- with this one, I can put them off to the side a bit so that the baby can choose to look at them or choose not to -- plus, needing to look back and forth from side to side is good for their development. And as unattractive as I find the shiny artificial fabric in person, I do love that it's super easy to spot clean. Plus, it gives you good options for reclined vs more upright positions.

SwaddleMe Pod 2-PK, Grey Star Dot (NB)
SwaddleMe Pod 2-PK, Grey Star Dot (NB)
Price: $24.99
5 used & new from $20.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The best fit for those first newborn weeks :), October 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My favorite thing about these is how incredibly easy they are to use -- no noisy velcro, no fussing with straps or trying to get the fit just right -- put the baby in and zip them up. Overall, I do like my SwaddleUp ones a little better than these (since those make it easier for the baby to self-soothe while swaddled, and since the fabric doesn't get as stiff around the zipper) -- but for an absolute newborn, these SwaddleMe Pods fit better and so are great to have on hand at the very beginning.

Reynolds Baking Cups, Party Variety Pack, 36 Count
Reynolds Baking Cups, Party Variety Pack, 36 Count
Price: $1.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I need in a muffin / cupcake cup, nice and easy to use, October 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These really have everything I want in muffin/cupcake cups:

* They are stiff enough that they can stand up just fine on a regular cookie sheet, so I don't have to deal with using muffin tins. That means that I can get more in the oven at a time, and the clean-up is much less of a hassle.
* They peel away from the muffin or cupcake neatly -- I've used some muffin cups that stick to the baked goods so much that it makes a big mess when you try to peel them off.
* They work well with my regular baking recipes -- I don't need to adjust or anything, like I do when I use silicone baking cups.
* And they come in fun colors. :D