Profile for Adam I Am > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adam I Am RSS Feed (Japan)

Spirits of the Western Sky
Spirits of the Western Sky
Price: $11.88
48 used & new from $7.52

4.0 out of 5 stars My review of Spirits of the Western Sky, April 18, 2014
I guess I'm not giving the album five stars because one) one or two songs are repeated two) old songs are included three) a strange arrangement on one or two songs four) it doesn't feel like an "album" and five) I wanted an album like "Songwriter." Also, I think that an environmentally directed album would have been very nice. But, that said, I like Spirits of the Western Sky.

A Tramp Shining
A Tramp Shining
Price: $7.44
75 used & new from $1.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island LP, May 22, 2012
This review is from: A Tramp Shining (Audio CD)
This LP has been in my head for a lot a years now.

Music is, can be, mysterious. But some people string notes together, put a beat on it, call it song and sell it. Sometimes to millions. And it's nothing. Just noise. Worse than noise really. Sometimes it's just outright torture.

Jimmy Webb made music, wrote songs, that were true and real and had depth and could take you places in your own head.

A Tramp Shining is his best.

World Without End
World Without End
by Ken Follett
Price: $22.26
614 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, December 21, 2007
This review is from: World Without End (Hardcover)
Other than wanting to know what happens to Merthin, Caris and Gwenda, I found myself really wanting to know and learn more about this period of English history -- daily life, economics, the serfs, trade, law and order, etc. I found lots and lots of connections between our modern world and the Middle Ages. And I could add stupidity and human folly to the list of connections, as well.

Even though the mystery given to us at the outset of World Without End doesn't quite hold the same punch that Pillar's mystery did, I was still very satisfied with the way that the story was wrapped up.

Britain should treasure writers like Ken Follett more than I perceive they do. One critic I read was literally making fun of the way Ken Follett laughed at a particular event for World Without End. I'd like to see that 'critic' put 1,000 pages of words on paper accurately portraying any period of English history and do it interestingly i.e., tell a story that would hold anyone's interest other than his own.

In the Falcon's Claw: A Novel of the Year 1000
In the Falcon's Claw: A Novel of the Year 1000
by Chet Raymo
Price: $13.46
36 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deeply Touching Novel, April 17, 2007
I've read this book three times now and I'm sure that I will again. Chet Raymo is, in my humble opinion, one of America's best writers. In the Falcon's Claw he takes us to the world Christianity just before that other millennium -- the year 1000. Christianity by then had its strongest dogmatic grasp on the peoples of Europe and any other enlightened views within that religion were strongly repressed -- often with death. Common events in nature were nearly always seen as signs from God rather than just what they were. The protagonist Aileran, an Irish monk, rejects supernaturalism and, after many years of searching for some kind of enlightenment, finds himself, in the end, facing heresy charges in Rome -- under the authority of an old friend of his youth, Gerbert, who is now the Pope. A beautifully written book that is very relevant to the current dialog concerning faith and reason here at the next millennium.

Summer Side of Life
Summer Side of Life
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $15.41
26 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Gordon Lightfoot Album, February 13, 2001
This review is from: Summer Side of Life (Audio CD)
Gordon Lightfoot does not write bad songs. I'm glad that he is still out there on the road and performing. I'm not Canadian, but I think there is a wonderful expression of the common 'good things' in the North American spirit. We're in a real dip in the road, song writing-wise. It's nice to listen to good songs, good guitar, and a simple voice.