Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for novicaine19 > Reviews

Browse

novicaine19's Profile

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"novicaine19" RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe
Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe
by Richard W. Kaeuper
Price: $125.00
49 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the full monty, June 5, 2001
I've taken a couple of Prof. Kaeuper's courses, and I got what I expected in this book. I can't speak for professional historians, but I can say that his style accomodates those less familiar with the time period. Indeed, you might find it to be kind of a grind at first, because the emphsais is on strict historical evidence rather than on any prevailing romantic notions about chivalry. This often dissapoints beginning students in this area, but I gurantee that the energy put in leaves one far more gratified. The reader can get a clear sense that the "Dark Ages" were immensely complex and active, and that this thing we call "chivalry" is essential to Western history -even the Western present- and is by no means something people did just so we can watch nifty movies.

Heart of Darkness (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century)
Heart of Darkness (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century)
by Joseph Conrad
216 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars speechless, June 3, 2001
This is without a doubt one of the most amazing books I have ever read. First, let me say that I find it very hard to read, as i do with all of conrad's writing. If you have the same problem, I suggest you just take it slow and don't be afraid to write down what you think he might be talking about at times. The time and energy pays off tremendously. Conrad unravels the intense impact that the jungle has on a mind produced by civilization. This novel is loaded with subtleties about our contact with the dark, primitive aspect of human existence. It is essential to look for these. Otherwise, you'll feel like you're simply reading abotu a guy steaming up a river to get some eccentric dude who collected amazing amounts of ivory. i picked up on these, and I have not been the saem person since.

Franny and Zooey
Franny and Zooey
by J. D. Salinger
Price: $7.20
310 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Salinger ties it together, June 3, 2001
Having read all three of Salinger's published books, I was eager to see what he had to say in his other major piece on the Glass family. Besides indulging us in this unusual collection of characters, Salinger provides his answers to some of the most perplexing problems in his others stories, including 'catcher in the rye.' We all remember Holden's difficulty dealing with all the phony people in society as well as the death of his brother Allie. In this novel, Zooey guides Franny as she uncovers unsettling truths about phony people, and ultimately gives her some reassurance that meditation and reflection on mythical figures can answer these anxieties. Anyone who has read this book might also want to read 'Raise High the Roofbeams Carpenters; and Seymour, an Introduction' to learn more about Seymouor, who plays such a vital role in 'F&Z' despite the fact he isn't in it. Moreover, 'F&Z' gives some hints as to how Seymour met his mysterious fate.
All this being said, you can see how there is so much to get out of this novel. If it weren't for the fact that I read 'Catcher' when I was young, this novel woudl have undoubtedly become my favorite Salinger piece.

To Build a Fire and Other Stories (Bantam Classics)
To Build a Fire and Other Stories (Bantam Classics)
by Jack London
Price: $5.95
117 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome icebreaker, June 3, 2001
When I got this book, I really didn't know what to expect, having only read 'To Build a Fire' about 12 years ago. Now I'm hooked on London. This collection is without a doubt an excellent starting point for anyone who is unfamiliar but curious about London's writings. His Klondike tales are his best, and by no means are they monotonous. He manages to extract many unique scenarios that the harsh conditions of the North can create. His other stories aren't as fascinating, but each still has an interesting twist to it. Whether it be prize fighting, blue collar labor, or warfare, London makes shrewd psychoogical insights that also illuminate his clearly socialist opinions. I can't say enough about London's abilities.

Beowulf: A Prose Translation (Penguin Classics)paperback
Beowulf: A Prose Translation (Penguin Classics)paperback
by Anonymous
Price: $9.35
198 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars best translation i've read, October 18, 2000
My professor recomended this translation to me, and even as a novice in medieval studies, I still think it is far better than what I read in high school. Wright offers fascinating historical information at the beginning and termination of the story that give the non professional reader good insights and background on the implications and circumstances surrounding obscure events in the plot. A reader can walk away with both a great story and a better understanding of the complex time called the Dark Ages.

The Once and Future King
The Once and Future King
by T. H. White
Price: $6.16
304 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars bogus basis, October 17, 2000
I picked this book up expecting a unique twist on the King Arthur legend. What I got was a pothetic explanation for how Merlin got his magical powers -that he had access to modern technology. So instead of the mighty wizard mumbling a spell to cure an illness, he wips out his penacillin syringe. I'm sorry if you loved this rendition, but King Arthur has to be mideival. No excuse is good enough.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2015 5:17 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4