Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Elador > Reviews

Browse

Elador's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elador "inkwellbooksellers" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, California)

Scout's Honor: A Father's Unlikely Foray into the Woods
Scout's Honor: A Father's Unlikely Foray into the Woods
by Peter Applebome
Price: $20.56
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminates the Highs and Lows of Scouting, both Today and in the Past, with Perspicuity and Humor, October 15, 2015
I felt that this book really addressed both the rewards of the Scouting program as well as the issues that might leave a parent with some concerns--does this program lend itself too easily to preparing boys for the military or to conformity? Do the values mesh with our present day society? But, unlike one dilemma that the author faced and one which has troubled me since my oldest son started in Cub Scouts as a Tiger Scout in 2007, the issue of gay Scouts and gay Adult Leaders has been resolved the way it should have been a long time ago, at least from my perspective. I'd always been reluctant to espouse a program that theoretically supported ideals such as respect, kindness and yet wasn't showing that in practice. Now, since the BSA finally put forth their new policy allowing gay Scouts and leaders, I can fully endorse and support the program. I bring this issue up because I really sympathized with Applebome's dilemma as a father--he saw the benefits of Scouting for his son and he enjoyed it as well but found that the issue of the BSA and gay members to be a thorn in their side in terms of their participation. I also found the book to be laugh-out-loud funny and many issues really resonated with me. I too was sent off to scout summer camp, just me, a suburban mom who had been with the troop for a year and another mom who had joined a few months prior to camp, as chaperones and we were left to be the adults in charge of the boys. Well, that was an endurance test on many levels but what really stood out was the fact that the older Scouts were able to show leadership of the troop when it was really needed, just as Applebome described in his book when his son Ben decided that their troop was going to win the award for the week. It's comforting to know that our troop, located in suburban Los Angeles, shares many of the same issues that Applebome's did, almost 15 years ago.

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 30x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (OLD MODEL)
36 used & new from $154.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Having Trouble with Action Shots, June 30, 2013
I bought this camera to use for travel purposes since I wanted something light and small and if lost, wouldn't break the bank. So, when we were traveling, it worked well since pretty much all my shots were still shots, scenery, etc. But, since returning from our trip, I've been using it at home for the kids activities such as when my sons are scootering or recently when we went to the indoor go-kart place. All the action shots are fuzzy! I can't seem to capture an action shot. It's quite possible, even likely, that it's my inexperience but I need to do some research to see how this issue can be resolved. So, until then, I give it 3-stars. If I find some way to take good action shots, then I'll upgrade the rating. I used to have the old (pre-digital) Canon Rebel RX camera which was a wonderful camera and which is why I trust Canon. But, the Powershot might not have been the right choice for me. (But, if anyone has any suggestions on how to take good action shots with this camera, I'd be most appreciative!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2013 8:42 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and Spacious!, May 27, 2013
I've been really impressed by the wheeled book bag. There is plenty of space for all of my son's books (5th grader). I bought it in late March and it's now late May and it's held up really well. Very few signs of wear and my son is tough on his stuff.

King Arthur Flour Pancake Mix, Gluten Free, 15-ounces
King Arthur Flour Pancake Mix, Gluten Free, 15-ounces
Offered by MyQuickMart
Price: $11.14
13 used & new from $6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down winner so far!, August 1, 2011
Of the mixes I've tried so far which include Bisquick's, Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills and my own concoction of various gluten-free flours, King Arthur has been the best, by far! Not too sugary or grainy which I found to be the case in some of the other mixes. I used it to make waffles and it tasted almost exactly like the regular Aunt Jemima's mix that I used to enjoy before I started my gluten-free diet. What a nice surprise!!!

Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets, and Growing Up in the 1970s
Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets, and Growing Up in the 1970s
by Margaret Sartor
83 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed when I looked under the hood, February 24, 2007
I enjoy reading diaries and journals and when I heard the NPR interview I was excited to read it, so much so that I suggested it to my book club although I had not yet read it. So, I picked up the book at my local library and eagerly started reading. I enjoyed the forward and then the diary entries began. Yes, many of the diary entries were interesting and funny but, like most American teenage girls, Margaret was obviously self-absorbed although in a way in which I could easily identify. However, for that very reason, I felt that Sartor needed to provide more context. When she was able to penetrate through the haze of self-absorbtion and her relationships with friends and boys to issues like de-segregation, I was even more interested. I guess I harken back to The Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich who, after a chapter of diary entries, provided the context of the period and the events of the community at the time with her own research. Sartor could have provided such interesting illuminations on places such as Tree City which warranted her one-line mention in her diary. Some research into local newspaper stories, etc. would have perhaps given some more depth to her entries. Even though her diary is her personal journey, she is still a part of her town, her region, her state, and her country. As a Californian, I would have enjoyed knowing more about life in the South and I feel that I wasn't satisfied on that score. I think all of the other book club members (women who had grown up on the West Coast) felt the same. In fact, we felt the forward/introduction and the epilogue were perhaps the most interesting parts.

VTech Move and Crawl Ball, Orange
VTech Move and Crawl Ball, Orange
Offered by JohnDoeBooks
Price: $15.50
44 used & new from $3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Baby Focused While On Tummy, December 30, 2005
For my 6 month old baby boy, this ball has been an excellent wayto keep him focused on moving toward on object while on his stomach. Although he gets annoyed by it rolling away from him at times, he also tries to reach for it because he realizes that when he touches it, a sound or noise results from it so that there is a "cause and effect" situation. I think it has helped to encourage him to crawl because it's weighted to move around but not to roll away. Granted, it might bump into him but this baby is very sturdy, so much so, that he'd prefer to stand rather than crawl. He never lost the standing reflex so it's possible he might bypass crawling altogether although I think this ball helps him with the crawling and moving. He also enjoys playing with it while sitting up. I think this is a good toy!

Crunch Yoga Mama - Prenatal Yoga [VHS]
Crunch Yoga Mama - Prenatal Yoga [VHS]
VHS
Offered by ARJAYEM enterprises
Price: $6.76
28 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for novice!, February 27, 2005
Just received the tape and went through it for the first time and this is also my first yoga experience. As such, I was not at all irritated by the instructions but, in fact, appreciated all the guidance. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because I could have used just a little more instruction if I wasn't able to do all the moves (which was the case) but since I'm an admitted novice, then I have to say this video has been a noticeable help already with my backache which was the primary reason I bought it. Already the pain has subsided so I'm thrilled.

Making Change: A Woman's Guide to Designing Her Financial Future
Making Change: A Woman's Guide to Designing Her Financial Future
by Neale S. Godfrey
Price: $19.95
31 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Waxing Philosophical, April 27, 2000
Making Change advocates that women change the way that they think about money so that they take an active role in their financial life, starting at the earliest stage possible. The book is divided into life phases from dating to death and offers a "user friendly" approach. Chapters contain quizzes, mock interviews, and personal stories to keep the reader's interest. Most of all it offers a philosophy that women should follow in order to gain financial freedom. Godfrey calls her philosophy "Design it, do it." In other words, make a plan ahead of time for your kids' college tuition, your retirement, etc. Don't wait for your spouse or the fairy godmother to take care of it is Godfrey's point. The book lacks serious financial facts such as how you might short a stock and when to do it or the differences between adjustable rate mortgages and fixed rate mortgages. So don't turn to this for serious financial enlightenment but do turn to it for an inspirational non-threatening approach on how to get your financial house in order.

Gender and Academe
Gender and Academe
by Sara Munson Deats
Price: $118.00
15 used & new from $2.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Feminism in Higher Education, April 27, 2000
This review is from: Gender and Academe (Hardcover)
Without a doubt, this book offers some helpful and provocative thoughts about feminism in higher education. Although the title leads one to believe that the book will cover many disciplines, it primarily focuses on feminism in literature courses. Nonetheless, the book is still valuable both as a pedagogical and feminist reference source. This book is a compilation of essays by many authors so the reader can pick and choose whichever ones interest her. Many pertinent topics are discussed in these essays including the nature of personal writing, how submissions to feminist journals can possibly derail one's career, and how one can be a catalyst for change in the classroom and out.