Profile for Darren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 111

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Darren RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Martian: A Novel
The Martian: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in a long time., December 6, 2014
I read this book in just a few sittings, and was disappointed I didn't have the free time to devote to read the entire thing in one sitting.

It's rare that a book grabs me quite as hard as this one did. This is certainly the most entertaining and gripping fiction I've read in 2014.

LimoStudio-Photography Photo Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit
Offered by KimOutlet
Price: $54.50
2 used & new from $50.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value kit that dramatically improves indoor photography., November 14, 2014
This kit offers wonderful value for money. I needed such a lighting kit to take indoor family portraits, and this certainly fit the bill perfectly. The only additional lighting I use with this set is a directional spot mounted above head height in front of my back-drops pointing downwards as a hair-light. My photos are now perfectly lit and balanced, with no harsh shadows. Buying this kit has certainly cut the time I now need to spend editing and post-processing my photos.

Highly recommended.

Crystal World
Crystal World
Price: $14.19
22 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of the year so far., November 14, 2014
This review is from: Crystal World (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Ladytron and was excited to see Helen Marnie release her first solo album during her band's hiatus. I'd listened to a few songs on Youtube prior to purchasing and knew I would like this, but until giving the entire thing several listens I didn't realize just HOW MUCH I liked this album.

It is a little mellower overall than the typical Ladytron sound, but no less absorbing. The 80's electronic style is still apparent and Helen's voice still grabs your attention with its utter uniqueness. This is an album that I play from start to finish and don't consider skipping a track. I love it.

Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing, 3-Ounce (Pack of 8)
Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing, 3-Ounce (Pack of 8)
Offered by NANOBITS: DISPATCHED FROM THE UK
Price: $12.25
4 used & new from $12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The original English stuffing and still the best., November 14, 2014
I'm so happy to find this available direct from Amazon without having to pay way over the odds from other third party sellers. Paxo is a lifelong favorite of mine, (I used to live in England where it is the market leader in stuffing.) Since moving to the USA I've always made my own sage and onion stuffing from scratch, but Paxo is so much more convenient. It is totally different from the bread crumb type American popular stuffing, and absolutely lovely when shaped into balls and baked until crispy on the outside and still soft in the middle.

With Christmas approaching, I bought this pack of eight small boxes thinking towards including it in my family's Christmas dinner, but I think I'll have to buy several more packs long before then!

Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna
Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna
Price: $69.88
19 used & new from $62.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as hoped for, and receives all the major networks at my location., November 14, 2014
I'd finally got so frustrated with the ridiculous increasing costs of cable TV that I canceled my account a few months ago and decided to rely on streaming services such as Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu and other services on the Roku 3. However, we did miss live sports on the networks and the local news so decided to buy this antenna.

After hooking up, (we pinned it to the wall in a bay window), and did a channel scan, I found I could receive every single "over-the-air" network at our location - ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, CW - they are all viewable in HD, (apart from the CW which is just standard definition.) Picture quality is fantastic, with no digital break-ups or degradation so I honestly couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Check the Mohu site prior to buying so you can see what channels you'll likely receive and avoid any disappointment.

Transparent
Transparent
DVD
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars THE single best "television" show of 2014 so far., October 13, 2014
This review is from: Transparent (Amazon Instant Video)
Gosh. This show blew me and my wife away. We'd both seen this show mentioned in the media and of course on our Amazon Prime subscription and thought we'd give it a go, (we're both long time Jeffrey Tambor fans.) Jeffrey Tambor is incredible - his portrayal of Maura as she tries to complete her transformation while coping with her incredibly dysfunctional family was a roller coaster of emotions. Tambor can say more with a single look, (often frustration or disappointment in this season), than two pages of dialogue could adequately describe. The supporting cast was perfectly cast - and their individual stories are as compelling as the primarily story. Season two cannot come soon enough. This is "television" drama at its best.

Prism Backdrops 6X10' Black Muslin Photo Video Backdrop Background
Prism Backdrops 6X10' Black Muslin Photo Video Backdrop Background
Offered by SPN Performance
Price: $22.96
2 used & new from $22.96

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money, a good buy., September 10, 2014
This is a nice low-cost background that I use with a backdrop stand I built out of 1" PVC pipe. One end of the 9' long length has a stitched flap so that the background can be slid over the cross-section of my stand which is nice, (although sometimes I use clamps if I'm in a hurry.)

My only gripes are that the muslin is thin and I can see the light wall a few feet behind the background through the cloth, so I mount a black blanket behind this one on the stand. Also, it is a lighter shade of black than I was expecting, meaning that I frequently have to darken the background in post-processing to remove noticeable creases I don't want in a shot. No big deal though. I'd still definitely recommend this item.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 8:38 AM PDT

52MM Professional Lens Filter and Close-Up Macro Accessory Kit for NIKON D7100 D7000 D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3300 D3200 D3100 D3000 D90 D80 DSLR Cameras - Includes: Vivitar Filter Kits (UV, CPL, FLD) + Vivitar Macro Close-Up Set (+1, +2, +4, +10) + Carry Pouch + Tulip Lens Hood + Center Pinch Lens Cap w/ Cap Keeper Leash + MagicFiber MicroFiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
Price: $21.99
7 used & new from $19.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful value for money kit. "Five stars" without question., August 23, 2014
This set offers absolutely incredible value for money. I bought this set primarily for the macro filters, but knew I'd make use of the other items in the set too. What a great buy! Everything seems to be of very good quality - I was especially surprised by the quality of the filters. I tried out the macro filters within minutes of receiving the package (on a Nikon D3100 with a 55-200mm lens) and was very impressed by my results - even with a few hastily taken handheld shots with the +4 and +1 stacked. Of course, the depth of field using such filters is extremely shallow, so a tripod will be required for best results.

This kit was sold by the Amazon seller "Digital Goja". I will definitely buy products from this company again.

Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright Filter Kit - Includes Blue Washable 303173001, and HEPA Cartridge 303172002
Offered by Buy-it-now-store
Price: $21.60
6 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement filters., August 23, 2014
I bought this set for a Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Upright, UH70120. Both items arrived exactly as pictured, fitted easily, and work great. I will definitely buy again these again in the future should I need to.

Neewer Universal Flash Bounce Diffuser Softbox for for Neewer TT560 TT520 tt660 NW680 tt850 TT860 Flash Canon Nikon SLR / DSLR Cameras NG - F01
Price: $6.05
16 used & new from $0.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in conjuntion with a NEEWER TT660 fine., July 26, 2014
This unit secures to a NEEWER TT660 Speedlite fine. It softens and diffuses harsh light from the flash which is exactly what I bought it for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12