Profile for Ari > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 425

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ari RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Chants of a Lifetime: Searching for a Heart of Gold
Chants of a Lifetime: Searching for a Heart of Gold
by Krishna Das
Price: $11.85
66 used & new from $3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired, July 5, 2015
How did a sassy Jewish man from New York come to such simplicity and sweetness?

This is Krishna Das' story, his experiences of longing, hope, loss, frustration, love, encouragement - the whole process each of us experiences on our way to opening to our true Self. He shares his raw heart and suffering, his joy and companions, the influences that have led him through his life. And he has shared his guru, Neem Karoli Baba, with such shivering awe and sharpness of vision you can't help falling under Baba's spell yourself.

Krishna Das has keen insights into Reality, and yet he comes off as a regular Joe, struggling as we all struggle, experiencing ups and downs as we all do. I've read hundreds of spiritually edifying books over the last 40 years. I never before read one that led me to greater understanding while giving the sense that he is right where I am, now. It's hard to explain. This book is a triumph of love.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 10:08 AM PDT

Men,Women's 10mm Alloy Bracelet Link Wrist Gold White Howlite Turquoise Buddha Mala Beads Elastic
Offered by INBLUE Jewelry
Price: $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars nice bracelet mala, July 3, 2015
This is a very nice 18-bead mala on a stretchy cord to wear on the wrist. It is attractive as a bracelet and being right there on m wrist, I use it for mantra and chant all the time. Because I am Hindu, not Buddhist, I restrung the beads with a different kind of spacer to replace the head of the Buddha. The beads of mine are lovely, like in the listing photo.

Expo Mini Fiber Tassel, Black/Gold, 4-Pack
Expo Mini Fiber Tassel, Black/Gold, 4-Pack
Price: $6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars nice tassels, July 3, 2015
These are nicely made and are exactly as advertised.

Clear Rubber Bullet Clutch Earring Safety Backs for Fish hook Earring 1000pcs
Clear Rubber Bullet Clutch Earring Safety Backs for Fish hook Earring 1000pcs
Offered by YIDEA(HONGKONG)
Price: $1.91
28 used & new from $1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars works well and cheap, July 3, 2015
These are small enough not to be noticed, but keep the wire securely in my ear. No more loosing earrings!

Hanuman - Hindu God of Strength Statue Sculpture Deity Figure
Hanuman - Hindu God of Strength Statue Sculpture Deity Figure
Offered by JFSM.inc
Price: $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Hanuman statue, June 5, 2015
I'm very pleased with this statue. The detail is quite good. The color on the garland and loincloth is not like in the listing photo, but that's not a big issue for me. It is made of resin to look like bronze and it does. It is nicely heavy too.

The proportions on Hanuman's body are beautifully conceived. The expression on his face is lovely.

You know, for $35, this is a nice piece.

Bloomingdale's The Basic Essentials 300 TC Percale TWIN Sheet Set IVORY P1126
Bloomingdale's The Basic Essentials 300 TC Percale TWIN Sheet Set IVORY P1126
Offered by MHS Trading Group
Price: $49.92
2 used & new from $41.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite like they used to be, but not bad either, June 5, 2015
I'm thinking these may be seconds. The stitching at the wide hem of the top sheet is skewed on the bias, so after it was washed and dried, the hem doesn't lay flat. It doesn't look good.

These are definitely a percale weave, with all the qualities we expect from percale - crisp, smooth, cool. Jammies don't drag/get caught up on the sheets when you shift position. They are, however, fairly thin. I can see the design on the mattress through the sheet. The sheets were so affordable, I decided not to dock a star for that. You get what you pay for. I did expect the stitching to be done correctly though.

I do wonder about one other thing. Percale sheets normally wrinkle a lot with washing and drying. These didn't. And they have an odd crinkly sound when moved around. So I'm wondering, what was the fabric or fibers treated with that wasn't listed in the ad? It's almost a plasticky sound. Very odd. But they are comfortable to sleep between. I really, really, really hate microfiber or polyester blend sheets!

BHAGAVAD GITA (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
BHAGAVAD GITA (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
by Shri Purohit
26 used & new from $15.10

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointingly archaic word choices in the translation, June 5, 2015
I so wanted to love this translation, because I like the size of the book. But the text is full of thee's and thou's. And the choice of words seem to lean toward what a Christian would expect in the Bible. Let me give you an example here. Maybe you don't mind what I mind.

Chapter 9, in this translation is titled The Science of Sciences and the Mystery of Mysteries. The translation done by the Vedanta Swami Prabhavananda translates the title as The Yoga of Mysticism.

This Shambala Pocket Classic translation begins chapter 9 with:
"Lord Shri Krishna said, "I will now reveal to thee, since thou doubtest not, that profound mysticism, which when followed by experience, shall liberate thee from sin."

Swami Prabhavananda's 1944 translation begins chapter 9 with:
"Since you accept me and do not question, now I shall tell you that innermost secret: knowledge of God which is nearer than knowing, open vision direct and instant. Understand this and be free forever from birth and dying with all their evil."

See my problem with this Shri Purohit's translation? It's like that all through. I like to have my spiritual edification be readable in the language I use every day. I don't want to stumble on the word choices, I want to grasp the meaning, let it soak in.

Asian Red/Black Soup Spoons, Set of 2
Asian Red/Black Soup Spoons, Set of 2
Offered by JapanSuperMall
Price: $4.50
22 used & new from $1.95

2.0 out of 5 stars not nicely colored like the listing images, June 2, 2015
I know these were pretty inexpensive, but I'm sorry I got them. The colors bleed into each other, or the black was just not applied properly to the spoons. They don't look as nice as in this photo. I wouldn't buy them again. They got 2 stars instead of 1 because they are the size and shape we expect from Japanese soup spoons. I doubt I'll ever use these - I just threw them in the kitchen utility drawer, just in case I think of something to use them for instead of throwing them out.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism
by Linda Johnsen
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars really good overview, June 2, 2015
As a long-time Hindu convert (over 35 years), I thought I had a good handle on Hinduism. But this easy-to-read book was actually informative to me. Everything included in the book was correct from the Hindu's point of view.

I have read a number of 'The Complete Idiot's Guide's on many subjects, from computers to sports to religion. A couple of them had 'cutesy' writing that I didn't enjoy, but I have learned something from each, so when I want a good overview with enough details, but not be overwhelmed, I turn to this series. Most of the time, I learn what I got the book to learn. Sometimes my interest is peaked further and I move on to more depth on the subject. I do not like the 'For Dummies' books, which are not so easily read.

Hanuman: The Devotion and Power of the Monkey God
Hanuman: The Devotion and Power of the Monkey God
by Vanamali
Price: $13.51
48 used & new from $5.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Jai, jai Hanuman., June 2, 2015
I am so pleased I got this book. It tells the tale of Hanuman in service to Ram when the demon king Ravana kidnapped Ram's consort, Sita. The story is meant to convey how, like Sita, we are separated from the Divine ground of our being by the passions and misunderstandings of our small ego (Ravana) and how we are reconnected by love and devotion, qualities which Hanuman embodies. Hanuman is the link between our physical being and our Divine being, and that connection is always at work to bring conscious awareness to our lives.

As a devotee of Hanuman, I recommend this retelling of the story, found in the Ramayana. It is easy to read and helps open the heart of true seekers, which is what these stories were always meant to do. Enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20