Profile for @rocknrao > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 133

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

@rocknrao "Poppin' Off w/ DJ Gopal" RSS Feed (san francisco)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
2010 Reid Family Vineyards "Kevin's Cuvée" Cuvée 750 mL
2010 Reid Family Vineyards "Kevin's Cuvée" Cuvée 750 mL
Offered by Reid Family Vineyards
Price: $42.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Red Wine, February 24, 2014
This is one of my favorite wines. I'm generally fond of zinfandel and petite sirah, and I think Reid Family Vineyards' offerings cater to that sort of palate, even though this particular wine is primarily merlot and cabernet sauvignon, I believe.

You can find this wine at Trader Joe's in San Francisco sometimes, and it's a great bargain if you find it there.

Another great wine from Reid Family is Bay's Blend.

Look out for it sometime.

Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my morning time wake up music, January 7, 2014
This review is from: 936 (MP3 Music)
Peaking Lights fits into that Caribou-Blue States sort of psychedelic electro-pop style that seemed like a happening thing in 2002-03. Their version is little bit dubbier, a little bit trancier, and perhaps a bit less rock n roll by extension. Their songs have a lot of layered synths and percussion, with little stabs of high reverb surf guitar and stuff as accents. Indira's voice is syrupy smooth and narcotic, like a prescription-only cough medicine.

The album Lucifer is also pretty great.

Clarks Men's Desert London Oxford,Tobacco Suede,8.5 M US
Clarks Men's Desert London Oxford,Tobacco Suede,8.5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Low top variant of the desert boot chukkas - with the usual sizing caveats, January 7, 2014
Great look. Great materials. Great shoe!

I bought these on sale for $70, which is the right price, by my estimation.

My feet measure out as size 10-10.5 on those shoe store scales, but I bought an 8.5, and they fit very snug. I probably could have gotten a size 9, but I'm allowing for some break in over the next year or so.

The beeswax leather that Clarks uses breaks in quite a bit, making for a substantially looser fit after 1 year, but I bought the tobacco suede version of these, so I guess that remains to be seen.

Still haven't found an alternative to the crepe sole that Clarks uses. All the others seem flimsy and/or unrefined by comparison. A broken in pair of desert boots can accommodate a long day of walking without making your feet sore.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 10:27 AM PST

Blowout Comb [2-LP Vinyl]
Blowout Comb [2-LP Vinyl]
Price: $27.48
9 used & new from $20.28

5.0 out of 5 stars One of very few rap albums I own, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Blowout Comb [2-LP Vinyl] (Vinyl)
I'm pretty much a noise rock/punk kind of guy, and it seems like the golden age of hip-hop kind of came and went right under my nose without much attention from me.

This album had all my friends excited back in 1994-5, and I picked it up as well.

It's pretty much the antithesis of what was big in hip-hop back then (Snoop, Dre, NWA-derived pseudo gangster thug posing, etc), and it's pretty much the antithesis of everything I hear in hip hop today.

I guess it's no mystery why it didn't really catch on as a mainstream hit then. Anyway, The Planets wax poetic about all things. They rap about hair-do's, shoes, smoking supplies, politics, history, music and art. They share the empty spaces between the jazz and funk beats almost equally, stretching their minds out in syncopated waves of consciousness.

Even their contemporaries like Arrested Development and Tribe Called Quest didn't really pull things apart the way Doodle, Butter and Ladybug did on this album.

This is probably the album to get if you absolutely HATE hip hop and want an example of the opposite of it, just for contrarian's sake.

Sony MDR-EX210B/BLU Earbud Style Headphones
Sony MDR-EX210B/BLU Earbud Style Headphones
Offered by " Recording Solutions "
Price: $189.99
5 used & new from $113.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stay in ear canal very well. Sound is unimpressive., October 9, 2013
Bought these to use for jogging, gym workouts, etc.

They don't stay in the ears if you're moving around constantly.

Aside from that, the sound quality isn't noticeably better than the $10 Panasonic ear buds or the $15 JVC marshmallow ear buds.

Of the 3, the JVCs had the most defined bass sound, and the Panasonics had the most ringing, clear highs.

These were in the middle on both counts. The thin wires kind of irked me as well, as it seemed that they got tangled up easier than the thick JVC wires, and were more difficult to untangle.

Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror (Original)
Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror (Original)
Price: $12.99
32 used & new from $8.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Awkward, flimsy and damaging to helmet, October 9, 2013
Haven't gotten much usage out of this. It didn't position well on my bike helmet, and when I finally figured out how to get it wedged on there, it wasn't really of much use.

The position of the mirror is more or less where the hinge of my eyeglasses is, making it difficult to see without awkwardly positioning my head.

Not much that you can get out of this mirror aside unless you regularly bike in heavily trafficked areas with narrow bike lanes, like downtown San Francisco. Even then, I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable relying on this thing.

Maybe I just need to give it time to get used to it? I don' t know. It seems like that could take a while.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 8:07 PM PDT

Timber Timbre
Timber Timbre
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminded me of Suicide/Alan Vega at first, October 8, 2013
This review is from: Timber Timbre (MP3 Music)
I heard the song Magic Arrow on an episode of Breaking Bad, and I downloaded the album off of Amazon that day.

At first it struck me as being influenced by the early NYC Punk/No Wave stuff, like Suicide, which I'm a big fan of.

The rest of the album strikes me as more of a dark folk sort of thing though, a bit like maybe Castanets or Jana Hunter.

It's an interesting listen.

Better Change Your Mind
Better Change Your Mind
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you ever think this world is yours, better change your mind, October 8, 2013
This is a great funk song that decries the ethnocentric and egocentric tendencies of the world.

Onyeabor leaves no one out with his admonition. He calls out countries and continents alike.

Then he quiets up for a bit and just bops out of control on the one for about 5 minutes.

I think this is the perfect party jam to try and sneak into someone else's playlist, to see if anyone notices.

Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More
Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More

5.0 out of 5 stars Mama found her draped over --- the toilet booooooooooooowl!!!, July 31, 2013
Half gothic dirge, half comic send-up of popular teen angst cliches.

Singer Mark Arm is laughing at you and with you at the same time, while Steve, Matt and Dan flood the air with a real low vibe.

This is the howling voice of teenage despair that every (smirking) flannel wearing malcontent of the late 80's and early 90's wishes they could have screamed into the abyss.

High Time [Vinyl]
High Time [Vinyl]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah-YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-HEY-HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!, July 19, 2013
This review is from: High Time [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
Like a lot of people, my opinion of the MC5 was formed by the song "Kick Out The Jams", and a boatload of out-of-context 60's mythology. I knew a lot more stories than sounds.

This was a mistake on my part.

I picked this up from Amoeba in SF after reading a review of it on Julian Cope's HeadHeritageUK website, which piqued my interest.

High Times is a pretty big departure from KOTJ, both in sound and fury.

Well maybe not THAT big of a departure, but it surely shows some signs of growth in new directions that I think are overlooked in the grand mythology about the band, which is about one hundred times as big as their actual record sales probably were.

They still pack a heavy sonic wallop, but it seems a bit more controlled, or perhaps contained, on this album.

The backup singers on Sister Anne are a nice touch that was unexpected to me, but makes perfect sense given their Motown roots.

The intro to that song Miss X is just so powerful, even if it seems like a bunch of ballad cliches piled on top of each other and dosed with a hit of speed.

Future/Now is impossibly tight and explosive, like an old muscle car sitting at stop light with the engine revving, just waiting to burst across the line and streak off down the open road.

The little marching band and horn accents they throw around seem like a bit of whimsy, which softens the mood a bit, given that the band built its reputation on bombastic revolutionary politics and chaos.

This is just a fantastic hard rock album that hints at so many different styles and future bands that they can't all be named.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14