Profile for JMAC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JMAC "JMAC" RSS Feed (Denton, TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Travelpro Crew 10 20 Inch Expandable Business Plus Rollaboard, Black, One Size
Travelpro Crew 10 20 Inch Expandable Business Plus Rollaboard, Black, One Size
Price: Click here to see our price
11 used & new from $156.13

5.0 out of 5 stars The Roller Bag That Flight Crews Use, November 20, 2014
I'm employed in the Travel Industry and have traveled regularly on business for the last 40 years. I used an earlier model of this bag for more than 15 years until I finally wore the rubber off the wheels. I planned to have it repaired (parts are available) but decided to replace instead because of the laptop storage on this bag. I purchased my first Travelpro Crew rollaboard on the recommendation of a flight attendant friend and because that's what I most often see flight crews using. I was never disappointed with that bag and expect this one will serve me equally well.

The nylon fabric exterior covers a rigid shell and an aluminum frame. It's 20 x 14 x 9 and a bit over 8 lbs empty. (Most airlines limit carry-on to 21 or 22 by 14 by 9.) It replaces a bag the same size that I never had a problem getting into overhead bins on U.S., European, and Asian airlines. Nice leather handles on the top and side make it easy to carry, The expansion zipper is designed so that you can expand only the bottom which will keep the bag stable when rolling. The handle has multiple stops that lock so it's comfortable for normal and tall people. Two zippered side pockets inside, one mesh and one plastic ("wet") to protect your clothes against leaks. I'm tall (6'4") but have had no problem packing business and casual clothes for trips up to a week.

Of all the bags I've owned or used over the years, the Travelpro Crew has been the most stable and easiest to roll. Mine has rolled many miles in airports around the world. It's stable enough that with a laptop bag strapped to the handle on top it will still balance, stand alone, and roll easily. The laptop pocket built into the front of this bag won't replace my laptop backpack but when I can travel light it will mean one less thing to carry.

Many flights are full these days and you never know when you will be forced to gate check a bag. My previous Travelpro was gate checked more often than I can remember and yet suffered nothing worse than small scuffs over the years despite "gentle" treatment from airline baggage handlers. That's saying something these days.

Having used a Travelpro Rollaboard regularly for more than a decade, I understand why they are the choice of people that fly for a living.

SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900 (Black)
SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900 (Black)
Offered by eBags
Price: $49.99
11 used & new from $47.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent But For One Surprising Oversight, November 20, 2014
The SwissGear ScanSmart 1900 Backpack is an excellent product. It has many zippered pockets and is sized to fit up to 17” laptops. Most importantly for travelers, it has a center section that opens for airport security screening. The laptop (and tablet) are held in place by mesh so they are visible. This meets TSA requirements at most (but not all) airport locations. I purchased an earlier model to replace a similar backpack that didn't have mesh pockets. At some airports the TSA made me remove the laptop from the bag because they couldn't see it. (Even with mesh, be sure not to pack anything in the same section as the laptop.) The various sections make keeping cables, thumb drives, cables, power supplies, etc., organized and safe. Zipper pulls are large, solid, and have rubber edges.

The shoulder straps are large and adjust easily. I’m 6’ 5” and they are more than enough. The back is heavily padded and has a channel down the center so it doesn’t press against your spine. The bag itself is made of thick nylon fabric that wears like iron. It has lots of nice touches such as a loop on the strap to hold sunglasses and an opening for a headphone cable so you can keep a phone or MP3 player in the bag.

There is only one flaw with this backpack which, coming from SwissGear, is surprising. There is nothing built into the backpack to attach it to the handle or comfortably carry it on top of a roller bag suitcase. Many other laptop backpacks include a strap or loop or the like but it is conspicuously absent on this bag. The top handle, while sturdy, well attached, and comfortable, is too far forward to comfortably hold when sitting on top of a roller bag. (Other brands have a secondary handle specifically for this.) There are straps on either side of the backpack (presumably to cinch it up if you aren’t carrying much) but there’s no way to attach them to one another across the back. This is an amazing oversight from a company that normally thinks of everything.

For that reason I give this product 4 stars instead of 5. I use a Travelon Bag Bungee to secure the backpack to the roller bag but a simple strap along the back or a means to connect the side straps to one another would work perfectly without the need to purchase or carry anything extra. Other than that I think this product is the best laptop backpack I’ve seen anywhere.

Peavey Delta Blues 115 guitar Amplifier with Tremolo
Peavey Delta Blues 115 guitar Amplifier with Tremolo
Price: $634.92
6 used & new from $570.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Blues and Country Workhorse, September 2, 2014
The Peavey Delta Blues 115 amp is a solid, working musician’s amplifier. Amp snobs turn up their nose at Peavey but this amp is made in the U.S.A., built like a tank, and if you look you’ll see a lot of old, working Peavey amps still on stage. Peavey gear is built to last. I have a small four-channel PA with two 2x10 column speakers I bought used more than 20 years ago. I used to gig it but now use it in a rehearsal space and it still works well.

The controls are simple and I like the retro-looking “TV” front panel. It is 30 watts all tube (three 12AX7’s and four EL84’s) so it’s plenty loud for small to medium club gigs. The tweed covering is a lighter shade than the famous 50’s tweed amps but that is easy to fix if it bugs you. Reverb is a spring tank and the tremolo is fun although I don’t use it very often. Tone shaping with typical bass, middle, treble EQ. Effects loop send and return jacks on the top control panel. There’s a jack for an extension speaker but it’s 16 ohm minimum so be careful what you connect.

Other reviews complain about the lack of a tube guard. That was true for previous versions of the Delta Blues (and Classic 30) but Peavey includes a mounted cage on current models. If you buy a used amp without the guard there are aftermarket versions available that are easy to install. I’ve read other reviews that complain about tube microphonics. I’ve never had a problem but, if you play loud, there are inexpensive silicon tube dampers available (e.g., Eurotubes).

The 15” Blue Marvel speaker loves single coil pickups. I play Blues and Rockabilly and use it mainly with a tele, strat, or P-90’s. I haven’t tried humbuckers yet but I expect they will work equally well. The sound from the 15” speaker takes a few feet to unfold so it sounds a little different if you’re standing directly in front versus 6-10 feet away. I like to set a mic 6” to 10” away from the amp rather than right on the grill cloth. Sound techs don’t love that but I like the “air” that it adds.

An optional 2-button footswitch is available. The amp has two jacks for the switch. One lets you engage reverb and tremolo and the other lets you switch channels and engage the boost. I suppose with two pedals you could control all but I’ve never tried. I’ve read reviews that complain because the footswitch is optional but you may not need it, especially if you use pedals. I’d rather Peavey sold it as an option for those who need it than charge $30 more for the amp.

I like the Delta Blues 115 because you can get really usable clean sounds at volume. Where this amp might disappoint is for players that want a lot of distortion. The pre- and post-gain knobs on the lead channel work like volume and master volume. Players with roots in Blues and Country will like it because you can play mostly clean and get breakup where you need it. You can crank the pre-gain and use post to keep the overall level below ear-bleed volume but IMHO this is not the best amp for players that want a ‘British’ sound with a lot of distortion. But you can get close to that with the right pedal.

The amp weighs in at 49 lbs. so it doesn’t feel flimsy at all. Based on my previous experience with Peavey amps and other gear, I’m expecting the Delta Blues will hold up for years. It may become my go-to amp for all but large outdoor stages.

Bass Men's Brockton Oxford,Dark Navy,13 M US
Bass Men's Brockton Oxford,Dark Navy,13 M US
Price: $39.87
3 used & new from $39.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Step On My Blue Suede Shoes, August 26, 2014
This review is from: Bass Men's Brockton Oxford (Shoes)
Good fit and as comfortable as a casual dress oxford can be. The actual color is a little darker than the photo but these are blue suede shoes. On YouTube you can find color film of Carl Perkens shot in Lubbock circa 1955 and these are about the same color as the shoes he's wearing. (If you haven't seen it, look for the video - early footage of Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Buddy Holly too!)

Well, it's one for the money...

Rogue RLS-1 Lap Steel Guitar with Stand and Gig Bag Metallic Blue
Rogue RLS-1 Lap Steel Guitar with Stand and Gig Bag Metallic Blue
Offered by Woodwind and Brasswind
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Beginner Lap Steel, August 26, 2014
Not bad for the price. Like many budget instruments, the strings that come on it are junk so order it with a set of quality strings for the tuning you plan to use. I ordered a set of GHS C-6 strings with mine and changed them straight away. If you don't have one, order a chord with an angled 1/4" plug too. The jack is next to the bridge and whether you play right or left handed a straight plug is in the way. The legs are flimsy but they work. Be very careful screwing them in the first time. The angle is odd and it took a few minutes of trying to find the right angle and not cross thread them.

Once I tightened everything down and installed new strings, the sound from the single coil pickup wasn't bad. For someone getting started on lap steel this is a reasonable first guitar. With a little tweaking and some care it will be good for practice and as a backup if I decide to invest in a better lap steel.

Guardian CG-090-0FX-B Gear Bag
Guardian CG-090-0FX-B Gear Bag
Price: $32.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and Well Made, August 26, 2014
I've been using an earlier (tweed) version of this same bag for years. I use it to carry pedals, cables, tuners, sheet music, batteries, straps, picks, strings, tools, and all the assorted ephemera one often wishes they'd brought to a gig but left at home. The contents have saved my hide many times. The compartments are great for keeping things organized and the material is durable. Mine has been lugged and dragged and packed many times. The only repair I've had to make is to the velcro that holds the wrap on the handles. It came unsewed over time but was easy to repair. The tweed bag is still usable but I bought this one so I had a separate version for acoustic and electric gigs. It's about the size of a briefcase but soft sided. The strap is helpful. With the bag over my shoulder I have one hand for an amp and another for a guitar. One trip from the car with everything. It's not as solid as an ATA flight case (or as heavy empty) and won't hold as many pedals as a pedalboard but overall it is well made and durable.

And, no, I don't have an endorsement deal and I don't get these for free. ;-)

RND Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone with USB Output
RND Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone with USB Output
Offered by RND Power Solutions
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Pre-Broken to Save Time, August 26, 2014
Works but it is very cheap. Arrived with the case broken! It is as if the front wasn't completely glued in place. I got this for travel and have a hunch I will have to bind it with rubber bands and pack it carefully or it will be in pieces when I open my bag. Spend a few dollars more for something that will last more than two or three uses. This is essentially a "one use" disposable charger.

Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, Elegant Black
Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, Elegant Black
Price: $14.62
39 used & new from $12.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, August 26, 2014
Small and easy to use. Tested with some small balance scale weights and comes within a few miligrams. Probably not accurate enough for chemistry but works perfectly as a kitchen scale. The TARE feature is great. Put a container on the scale and press the on/TARE button and the display zeros so you can weigh the contents and not the container. Even works with wax paper or a paper towel. Recommended.

Taylor Glass and Chrome Digital Scale
Taylor Glass and Chrome Digital Scale
Price: $25.95
62 used & new from $23.36

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks great and the display is easy to read even without ..., August 26, 2014
I selected this model because it was highly rated in a well known consumer magazine. It looks great and the display is easy to read even without my glasses (I'm 6'5"). We compared the reading to a scale in our doctor's office and the results were closer than any home scale I've ever owned, within 2 lbs. The clear glass top feels substantial and the chrome looks good. Because it's clear it is unobtrusive and looks like it fits the bathroom decor. Recommended.

Ana Bath MSS5010BN 5 Inch 5 Function Handheld Shower System, PVD Brushed Nickel Finish
Offered by Ana Bath Inc.
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $47.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well and Looks Great, August 26, 2014
Well made and it matched the other brushed nickel fixtures surprisingly well. Many of the parts are metal plated plastic but none of them felt flimsy. Installation took minutes using the included plumber's tape and no part of it has leaked. The head is large and the mount puts it up high so it's like a rain shower. The hose feels solid and is just the right length for use in a 5' wide shower. I concur with the other reviews - don't over tighten the plastic parts. I needed a wrench to remove the original shower head but was able to assemble and install the Ana Bath MSS50 without tools. Been using it for several weeks now and not a drop leaking. As for water flow, it is slightly less than the fixed shower head it replaced but the spray pattern is wider so I don't miss the old one. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7