Profile for Spudman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Spudman RSS Feed (Pasadena, MD United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
by Josh Armstrong
Price: $16.27
11 used & new from $12.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Perfect, February 27, 2015
This review is from: Picture of Grace (Hardcover)
As a parent, grandparent, teacher, and amateur reviewer, this writer has read hundreds of children's stories. Some are as satisfying as sawdust, some as sweet as a mechanical smile, Many entertain, teach a lesson, or amuse. Too many are soon forgotten like a formulaic sitcom with little lasting impact. And then there are the special stories, stories with an impact that make one think and reflect, stories than beg to be reread. Picture of Grace is one such story.

Grace loves her grandfather dearly, and on a day before her planned visit with him Grandfather Walt dies. As one reads this gentle story, one can be lulled into a sense of complacency, a sense of assuming to know how the story will end. And then your trance is interrupted by one of the most beautiful endings you'll ever experience. It's perfect.

There's much to like about this wonderful book The story flows smoothly from beginning to end to its sweet conclusion, the author using language well within the grasp of young readers yet not so simplistic as to put off adults. The large pages, filled with Taylor Bills' amazing graphic artistry, are the perfect size for sharing The Disneyish villainess Delilah reminds me of Cruella in 101 Dalmations, so it seems fitting that the grandfather's name is Walt. Witnessing Delilah's reactions at the story's end is as delicious as the cherry atop a dollop of whipped cream.

Some books can be therapeutic and comforting. For a child who's suffered the loss of a loved one, Picture of Grace may provide that comfort and become the starting point for discussion and healing.

Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie w/ Cable Knit BLACK color
Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie w/ Cable Knit BLACK color
Offered by Battery Superstore
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars No Propeller, but Great Just the Same, February 27, 2015
In person the Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie looks every bit as good as it does in the picture. After taking it out of the package and holding it in my hands, I was thinking that this hat is really nice. The beanie is heavy enough to keep you warm but not so heavy that it becomes uncomfortable or too hot. I think the leather piece on the hats rim with the controls looks rather stylish.

The directions say to charge the beanie for an hour and a half, but charging for me took less than an hour. I could tell it was done when the blue light came on. Pairing to the Samsung Galaxy was also a cinch; in a few seconds I saw the word Tenergy and clicked pair.
Playing music through the hat's speakers is quite pleasant, with good sound and separation. Considering the small speaker size, the sound is excellent. I like classic rock and think better separation was engineered into music back in the day. Hearing distinct instruments on both sides of my head is a delight.

I asked Mrs. Spudman to phone me while I was listening to music. At the first ring the music cut off. Answering the phone is as simple as pushing a button on the hat. Another push of the button disconnects the caller. A phone conversation while wearing the hat is surreal but very good. I can hear the party on the other end well and the party can hear me well though I feel like I am talking into the air.

Bottom line - Great for music. Super for phone calls. Warms the head. I like it. A lot!!

sample provided

Pure MAGNESIUM OIL ★ Made in USA ★ BIG 12 Ounce! - The Highest Quality 100% Pure & Tested - SEE RESULTS OR MONEY-BACK - Best Magnesium Oil for Sore Muscles, Leg Cramps & Spasms, Restless Legs Syndrome, Joints and Knee Pains, Headaches, Migraines and various Bodily Aches - Helps you Relax and Sleep better - 360 DAYS GUARANTEE!
Offered by Seven Minerals
Price: $49.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Mg Helps, February 27, 2015
Mrs . Spudman has been living with chronic pain ( not me) for decades and is thus willing to try almost anything for some relief. Do some googling and you'll learn that magnesium has been used for pain relief more than a few years and is the engine in Epsom salts. She asked me to wait a few weeks before writing this review.

After her nightly shower Mrs. Spudman sprays the bottoms of her feet with the magnesium oil for best absorption and most effective relief action. On particularly painful spots on her back, I spray some oil and rub it into her skin. It doesn't take a lot of oil to feel a difference.

Verdict - She does feel there's been some benefits from using the oil and will use it again when this bottle has run its course. There has been some improvement for her in quality of sleep, but it's been minimal. She says she does feel a better sense of well being since using the oil. When I spray painful spots on her back, she does feel some relief. The magnesium does provide headache relief though it does take some time for the effects to kick in.

On first use there is some tingling of the skin, maybe even some mild burning. I tried it myself on the bottoms of my feet and did feel the tingling.

Bottom line - Read about the benefits of using magnesium oil and decide if it's right for you. We like it, and Mrs. Spudman reports no undesirable side effects beyond what was previously mentioned.

Essick Air 1970 Humidifier Bacteriostatic Treatment, 1-Quart
Essick Air 1970 Humidifier Bacteriostatic Treatment, 1-Quart
Price: $5.97
18 used & new from $4.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the Skull and Crossbones on the Label, February 27, 2015
First the good. As an add on product, its price is terrific on Amazon. Used regularly it does clear up and prevent the red slime problem common in humidifiers. It also comes in a huge bottle and using one eighth capful per tank should make this bottle last quite a while.

The not so good. It's not easy to pour from this monster bottle or to measure accurately an eighth of a capful with no markings in the lid. The warnings on the outside label are quite scary, almost to the point of not wanting to use the stuff and take it to the local hazardous materials collection center. Use this bacteriostatic product with great care.

Songbird Essentials SERUBMWJAIL Meal Worm Jail Bird Feeder
Songbird Essentials SERUBMWJAIL Meal Worm Jail Bird Feeder
Offered by Birds Eye Supply
Price: $39.95
11 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets Expectations, February 26, 2015
I saw this feeder locally for 75 dollars, and a quick trip to Amazon brought me to this listing. We have several feeders of this type for the bluebirds, but I like this one best. It's a sturdy feeder with plenty of openings for bluebirds and finches, but they are small enough to keep out the starlings and large blackbirds that quickly empty our tray feeder.
On the first day I set out this feeder it snowed; no snow got inside this covered feeder. Nice. Inside is a clear container for mealworms.I bought a small, heavy ceramic feeder to place inside the roomy feeder too. Inside the extra bowl I place suet nuggets. Be patient if bluebirds don't immediately find and use the feeder. Place some mealworms on the edges of the feeder's floor near the openings. Also place some on the side openings. In time the small birds will find this feeder and love it.

I 3/4" side entrance hole for bluebirds
Weather proofed black vinyl coated wire on front and back
Easy to clean and disinfect. The top of the feeder lifts off.
Will not fade, peel, rot, crack, chip or warp.
There is a sheet of polycarbonate plastic on each side of the feeder to limit the number of entrances These sheets also offer wind and rain protection.

Philips Norelco NT3355/60 Nose Trimmer
Philips Norelco NT3355/60 Nose Trimmer
Price: $13.33
3 used & new from $13.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Trim, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Noreclo nose trimmer is comfortable to hold and easy to use. In the package comes the trimmer, two combs for eyebrows. Noise level is acceptable, and so far I've experienced no painful pulling while using the trimmer. The trimmer does a decent job though in my experience multiple passes and angles are needed to get the job done. I like that I can even use this trimmer to trim hairs just below the nose and above my moustache. It's also great for trimming and shaping the hair along the neck line.

The 45 day money back guarantee requires the user to mail the trimmer post paid and insured and to first receive an return authorization by calling the listed 800 number.

As usual the direction sheet is amusing. One of my favorites:
Problem - The appliance pulls on hairs.
Possible Cause - You move the appliance too fast.
Solution - Do not move the appliance too fast.

GreenWorks GBL80300 80V 500CFM Cordless Jet Blower includes 2.0AH Battery and Charger
Price: $279.99
2 used & new from $279.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Power to Spare, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NOTE update at end of review.

Our technician (and sole employee) at Spudman Laboratories opened the box containing the new 80v GreenWorks blower with some anticipation. He unpacked the blower, one 80v battery, one charger, a manual for the blower, and a manual for the battery. This model doesn't come with bagging attachment, extra battery, or a concentration nozzle for the end of the blower.

Our new blower dwarfs the earlier blower in length and battery size, though surprisingly the 40v model outweights the 80v blower by about a pound.
Air speed max for the 40v GreenWorks is 185 mph; the 80v tool can reach 125mph max.
The air volume of the 40v is 340 CFM (cubic feet per minute) . Air volume moved by the 80v is 500 DFM.

While digesting these numbers we were curious to see how the new 80v performance compares to that of the earlier 40v model.

Our Experience -

Assembly of the 80v GreenWorks couldn't be much simpler. The blower tube attaches with a twist and is easily removed. On other blowers we've tested, the blower tube snaps on and can be tricky to remove. The enormous 80v battery snaps onto the blower easily and is removed smoothly by pushing a battery release button. We sometimes meet resistance when trying to remove the 40v battery from our blower or our 40v GreenWorks chainsaw.

On testing day the ground at out field lab was covered with a hard blanket of snow. Fortunately there were some pockets of leaves to use for our testing. The 80v blower uses a trigger to control air speed. At first we thought the trigger would be tiresome, but it's really not different than carrying the tool by its handle using the same grip. To choose one of three air speeds press an electronic button. After turning off the blower the same speed will resume when it is turned back on.

We used both blowers alternately.We have always liked and been impressed by our 40v GreenWorks, and it performed well for this test. At the first two speeds our new blower is comparable in performance to the 40. Then we went up a notch to the highest speed and Whoa, Nellie, it took off. The 80v blower has both power and distance superiority, and lots of it. We were blowing leaves at least twice the distance with the 80v blower as with the 40.
The 80V blower definitely outperformed the 40v in our tests.

Odds and ends.
The 80v battery definitely charges much faster than the 40v battery, and it has much more staying power.
We like the dial on the 40v model better than we like the trigger on the 80v model.
Replacement batteries for both are expensive, much more so for the 80v batteries.

This 80v blower is not as powerful as our Stihl gas blower, but it's not too far behind it. In addition the battery powered tools are much quieter than the gas Stihls for which we wear ear protection in addition to eye protection. The 80v blower is at least comparable in power to our corded Toro blower but without the restriction of a cord.

The 18v Greenworks blower almost looks like a toy next to this 80V big boy.

Again the 80v battery is HUGE. See our attached photos.

Note - A day after the initial test the battery was dead. Charged it up in an hour and then used it again mostly at full power. In less than a half hour the battery was exhausted. I can only conclude that battery stamina declines significantly when used at full power. Next I'll test at medium power which kind of defeats the purpose of buying this 80v monster.

We hope this review has helped.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Celegrity - Girls Footless Tight, Leggings Interchangeable Ruffles
Celegrity - Girls Footless Tight, Leggings Interchangeable Ruffles
Price: $19.99 - $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel like a Celebrity, February 24, 2015
Right out of the box the Celegrity leggings got a big WOW from Mrs. Spudman, a female visitor, and even from this Potato Head. The leggings themselves are made from a nice weight, stretchy material that should keep little girl legs nice and warm. Six decorative accessories come with the leggings; the accessories can be worn in numerous combinations, patterns and numbers. Our "adopted" granddaughter likes choosing and changing the rufflettes and toppers to change her look.

The tights are made of 90% cotton. Wash leggings on warm delicate cycle. Do not tumble dry.

Fisher-Price Nickelodeon Dora and Friends Sparkle and Swim Mermaid Dora Toy
Fisher-Price Nickelodeon Dora and Friends Sparkle and Swim Mermaid Dora Toy
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dora Makes a Splash, February 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an adult reviewer I probably could nitpick about Dora's hair or her swimming speed and distance and her need to be wound up too often. But i won't. What matters most is how much the child recipient likes the toy, and our four-year-old recipient absolutely is crazy about Dora. When you ask her to describe Dora, our little test gushes about how Dora can actually swim and how Dora sparkles "with every color of the rainbow."

Yes, I'm jealous that Dora has long hair while I don't have any. And I'm jealous that Dora is so much prettier. Little M's eyes sparkle when talking about and holding Dora, a friend she loves in and out of the water. Dora has been a big, big hit.

[Improved Version] Tenswall Premium Portable Waterproof Wireless Doorbell Kit, 52 Chime Tones, Operating at 1000ft/ 300m Range/ 1 Push Button (Transmitter) with 1 Plug-In Door Chime (AC Receiver) & 1 Door Chime Battery-Powered (DC Receiver) - Black
Offered by Tenswall US
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set Up. Good Performance, February 23, 2015
This is a good product that's value priced. In the box is one transmitter, two receivers and plenty of hardware and sticky tape for installation. One of the receivers is battery operated while the other can be plugged into an outlet.

With 52 tones to choose from, there's something here to please almost every taste. I like many of the musical tones, but chose the barking dogs for my ring tone. You can set the volume for the ring tones, and at the highest setting it is quite loud. The transmission distance is quite good too. I put the battery powered receiver in the back yard and I could still activate it from inside the house.

If you want portability without the hassle of connecting to electric wires, the Tenswall is a good option.

NOTE - If you can't keep large blackbirds and starlings out of your tray feeder, place the battery powered receiver out there set to the barking dogs. Watch the birds scatter when you press the transmitter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20