Profile for Spudman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Spudman RSS Feed (Pasadena, MD United States)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Danny Dog: A rescue dog finds his forever home
Danny Dog: A rescue dog finds his forever home
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Finds a Home, November 20, 2014
Dogs love, crave, and need human companionship, especially love-bug shih tsus. The thought of one pining in a shelter longing for a human family of his own is very sad. Danny Dog is a story about one of the lucky shelter dogs, one who finally finds a welcoming home and even a pair of feline siblings.

The book's cover bursting with a hamming Danny, his mouth filled with tennis ball, captures the lovable guy's personality and sets the tone for this heartwarming book. I appreciate that the story has a nice flow and a word bank that won't overwhelm or frustrate young readers. It's large, expansive pages and colorful graphics invite a read-aloud session and maybe a few return visits too.

To see lots of photographs of the real life Danny Dog, visit dannydogrescue dot com. It's a worthwhile visit.

Note - As I write this review, my own shih tsu, Piper, is cuddled at my hip, snoring happily and contentedly, maybe even dreaming about chasing squirrels.

sample book provided

Fold and Go Trampoline - Limited Edition Lime Green
Fold and Go Trampoline - Limited Edition Lime Green
Offered by USA Toyz
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Jumping for Joy, November 19, 2014
My two grandsons had seen a trampoline before and had jumped on it a number of times. Being familiar with what a trampoline is, made it an exciting time watching their father assemble the trampoline before their very eyes. Luckily it took less than ten minutes to assemble; the tight fit of the handbar added only a few minutes to the assembly.

Needless to say both boys love the trampoline. It doesn't take up too much space in their home, and there have been no squabbles over use of the new equipment either. They take turns and watch each other make the jumps. The trampoline is a great energy burner for my autistic grandson, who gravitates eagerly to the trampoline He likes to jump while someone counts his jumps and has reached a hundred on more than one occasion.

The attractive colors and the novelty of having such a piece of equipment in the home make the fold and go appealing and attractive to the two boys. With their boundless energy, the Fold and Go Trampoline has been a godsend for my daugher and son-in-law.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Flesh and Blood: A Scarpetta Novel
Flesh and Blood: A Scarpetta Novel
by Patricia Cornwell
Price: $17.87
71 used & new from $11.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, November 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are a fan of the Scarpetta mysteries, you'll enjoy revisiting with many of the characters you've met in previous stories and meeting new characters in "Flesh and Blood. Of course, Kay the medical examiner, her husband the FBI agent and their genius niece are central to the action. References to past events and characters will be appreciated by and make sense to you readers of the previous books in this lengthy series.
Kay and hubby are preparing for a anticipated trip but plans are disrupted by a murder in their own neighborhood. Seven copper pennies on Kay's brick wall, all dated 1981, are a portent of things to come and one of many little and big mysteries to be solved.

Cornwell juggles story lines masterfully with a skill consistent with her previous books. Be forewarned that the atypical ending of "Flesh and Blood "will make readers anxious to read the next book in the series. If this is your first Scarpetta novel, you may want to dig into the previous installments while waiting for the next nail biter.

Baytek PartyMix Portable Bluetooth/NFC Speaker Compatible with iPhones, Samsung Galaxy, Androids and Other Bluetooth-Enabled Devices, Black
Offered by iTech-Deals
Price: $45.99
2 used & new from $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Performer, November 18, 2014
The Baytek speaker impresses from the first note. To test it out I played quite lots of classic rock, some instrumentals, and even some Christmas music; the little Baytek speaker handled every song flawlessly. At high volumes and at extremes on the scale, there was no distortion, no vibration. On some songs like the classic "Smoke of the Water" the separation was awesome. What really convinced me was the sound of some Santana played on the Baytek speaker. Crystal clear at all octaves on vocals and instrumentals.

The speaker even has a slot for a micro SD card for those who want to make their own party playlist to play on the speaker.

Pairing couldn't be easier. A loud, clear female voice announced that the speaker was pairing and then told me I had paired successfully.

The 11 inch long speaker is quite attractive with little gripping feet on the bottom and a nice feeling exterior. Controls on the top are intuitive and easy to use. Next to each of the three buttons atop the speaker are words in white detailing their functions.

As I was testing the speaker I received a phone call which came in on the speaker as the music was playing. I turned off the music and had a short conversation on the phone. The quality of the phone conversation couldn't match the performance of the speaker playing music. I have to say that the Baytek is just OK as a cordless phone option.

Bottom line - Great performance. Hard to believe such incredible sound was coming from my phone.

sample provided

Generic High Quality Clear Screen Protector Shield for the Samsung Galaxy S3 i930 - Non-Retail Packaging - Clear
Offered by SupplyQuick
Price: $1.10
71 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Low Cover Charge, November 18, 2014
For the almost free price, these protectors are a good deal because they do protect your phone screen from inadvertent scratches. They go on fairly easily, though I still have air bubbles even after going over the new protector with a plastic library card.
Each part of the cover has a paper tag that is pulled off. When I pulled the paper tag off of the protector some adhesive remains on the cover.
For the protection, you have to give up a little color intensity and clarity. For now I think the compromise is worth it.

Christmas Stocking - 4 Candy Cane Styles
Christmas Stocking - 4 Candy Cane Styles
Price: $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Candy Cane Stockings, November 18, 2014
From top to bottom each stocking of this set is almost 15 inches in length. Across the top the width is about 8 inches. This colorful and festive set of stockings will set the Christmas mood when hung in your house around the fireplace or around the Christmas tree. Made of a soft, feltlike material the stockings can be personalized with felt letters bought at a craft store, with glitter glue, or any creative manner the purchaser can imagine.

The stockings come in different patterns and color combinations, and their presence in your home will announce to all that "tis the season."
Each stocking has a secure ribbon hanger. I wouldn't put a lot of weight inside each stocking, but they can certainly hold a Mr. Potato Head or even a potato or two.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Long Range Wireless Dual Probe Barbecue Smoker Meat Thermometer Set - Newest Version with a Larger Display and Added Features - Monitors your grill up to 300 feet (Et-733) - Green and a Bonus pair of top quality Heat Resistant Silicone Gloves in Black
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Checking the Temp Remotely, November 18, 2014
If your grilling is confined to hot dogs and burgers, then this dual probe meat thermometer is a bit of overkill. If on the other hand, you enjoy the barbecuing ritual, and slow cooking bit cuts of meat, then this product may be for you.

Inside the box is the receiver, the transmitter ,4 AAA batteries, 2 hybrid probes and grill clips. You can hang the transmitter with the provided hanger or stand it up. You may prefer to carry the monitor, lay it flat on a table, or carry it on your belt.

The four long pages of directions are overwhelming at first to the novice user. Operation becomes much clearer once the batteries have been installed and you've experimented with the controls a bit. The monitor is easy to read and even has a back light feature for grilling after the sun goes down.

I like that the probes are heat resistant to 716 degrees F, and that the user can monitor two foods at one time. The probes can get quite hot, so be sure to have the appropriate gloves available.

As the days get colder, I keep the pair of black silicone gloves hanging near our fireplace. The gloves fit comfortably and are flexible enough for me to put logs in the fire or take hot pans out of the oven. They protect my hands from heat and are holding up well to grill, fireplace, and oven heat. I don't want to test them by holding my hand to the fire for long periods, but so far they are no signs of degradation or melting. The black color also hides any smudges of black from burnt logs. In warmer days ahead these nice gloves will be back on barbecue duty.

Bottom line - This is a nice product for the serious cook. It would make a great gift for one too.

sample provided

TITANIUMTM Antivirus+ Security 2014 (3 PCs) Complete 1-Year PC Security Software Subscription Package for Essential Online Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in the Background, November 17, 2014
I have been using Trend Micro antivirus programs for three years now on my desktop and laptops. I even use it on my 10 inch tablets. It was less expensive for me to buy this new program than to renew the subscriptions of the previously installed programs. After removing the old version of virus software, I installed this; it was easy to follow the prompts on the screen.

I like Trend Micro because it is so unobtrusive. It works in the background and only appears to alert me to the latest computer scan it has done. It will also alert me to any viruses it may have detected and stopped.

Bottom line - I am quite happy with this brand and see no reason to change.

Bluetooth Wireless Audio Headphones With Built in Mic For Phone Calls and Web Chats.
Price: $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Westinghouse Headphones, November 17, 2014
A true audiophile might not mind spending one or two hundred dollars for top notch headphones. The Westinghouse wireless headphones can't begin to match a pair of $190 Bose phones, but for the money these are more than acceptable for the average user. In fact I own a pair of Bose phones and have heard the difference myself.

The Westinghouse headphones charged quickly; I hooked them up to the USB on my laptop with the included cord. Pairing with my Samsung Galaxy only took a minute or so.

Features:
buttons on earcup to adjust volume, change song tracks and answer phone calls. I use the controls on my phone for most of those functions.
built in microphone
built in rechargeable battery
up to 10 hours music and talk time
wireless convenience
compatible with iPhone and smartphones
250 hours standby time
10 to 15 meters operating distance

The sound on these phones is good, though the clarity could be better. I experienced no distortion or vibrations at extreme highs or lows. Comfort for me is just average since these are a bit tight on my head. After some adjustment of the length and some careful stretching of the headphones, comfort improved. I wouldn't want to wear these for hours at a time.

Bottom line - This is a good set of headphones for the current price of around 25 dollars.

sample provided

Velocity Airsoft Russian Dragunov VA-SVD Spring Airsoft Gun (Wood), 48" Full 1:1 Scale, Heavyweight Marksman Sniper Rifle w/ Full Metal Barrel & Bipod FPS-400
Offered by OneStopDeals247
Price: $49.95
6 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good, November 17, 2014
The Airsoft Russian Dragunov is a monster of a gun, at least in appearance. Partially assembled in the box, the package includes the gun, a small container of ammo, a pair of safety goggles (mine were broken in half) a scope that is mostly for show, and an optional bipod stand.

Despite the one sheet of bare bones instructions with minimal directions and smallish print and illustrations, I figured out how to assemble the gun fairly quickly. With its heavy stock and impressive length, the gun makes a favorable impression.

Observations -

The included ammo is not very good, inconsistent in size and performance. Luckily I have BBs from a previously purchased pistol.

Loading the magazine is tedious and at times frustrating. I find it easier to just fill it from the bottom and then tilt it to fill the spring column with about ten BBs if I'm lucky. It feels like one of those kids puzzles that require getting metal balls in holes.

The plastic scope looks neat but it didn't help with accuracy, so I leave it off.
I don't care for the bipod, preferring just to hold the gun, so I leave the bipod legs off also.

Performance isn't bad for this price point. I like using the guide at the front of the barrel to help me sight the target. I am not a regular shooter so if and when I hit a desired target, it's a bonus. The power and distance of this gun is more than that of my airsoft pistol, but not by much.

Bottom line - I've had lots of fun playing with this gun. A serious shooter (player) might not be as pleased.

Sample provided