Profile for Spudman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Spudman RSS Feed (Pasadena, MD United States)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Thousand Eight(TM) For LG Volt LS740 Candy Dual-Use Flip PU Leather Wallet Pouch Case + [Free LCD Screen Protector Shield(Ultra Clear)+Touch Screen Stylus] (Wallet Pouch Romantic baby red)
Offered by NageBee
Price: $6.99
4 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the Money, October 20, 2014
She wanted a case for her new LG Volt; we looked on Amazon and chose this one based on style and price. For the money this is a pretty good deal. In the package we received the case, a stylus, and some clear protective covers for the screen. Aesthetically the case is excellent and looks as good as pictured. The phone fits inside the hard plastic slot snugly and allows access to all of the controls. Thin vinyl used for the card pockets isn't the most rugged and durability is questionable.
The hard plastic pocket for the phone itself is slightly crooked but the slant isn't noticeable when the case is close.

Bottom line - We are happy with this purchase and have no buyer's remorse.

The Fashion Book
The Fashion Book
by DK Publishing
Price: $11.51
45 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A DK Delight, October 19, 2014
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Whether about animals, anatomy, geography, or history, DK books are smorgasbords of fact and pictures, each page brimming with more information than a reader would think possible. DK’s “The Fashion Book is worthy of its predecessors, jampacked with fascinating tidbits about the styles, materials, and people from the ancients to the moderns This testosterone driven reader was at first disappointed at his first thumb flip review of the book to see mostly female fashions and models. Yet this guided tour of fashion’s history certainly kept his interest, so much so that he constantly nudged Mrs. Spudman to share pictures of ancient shoes, mile high wigs, bellbottoms, and Twiggy.

The pages are a tad smaller than other DK volumes, but the purse-sized book still treats the brain to stimulation bordering on overload and bedazzles the eyes with color and form. For us it was fun to revisit the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s, days of poodle skirts, bell bottoms, and polyester.

Bottom line - There’s lots of fun and information between the covers of “The Fashion Book.” Plan on being a Jeopardy contestant. Here’s a good book to add to your arsenal of preparation.

Soundsoul M10 Metal Earphone Headphone Headset Earbud
Soundsoul M10 Metal Earphone Headphone Headset Earbud
Offered by SOUNDSOUL AUDIO
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Without Fury, October 18, 2014
I use the cheapest earbuds at night, listening to the all news channel to put me to sleep. Our bichon likes to chew on the wires occasionally, hence the use of cheap phones. When testing these Soundsoul earphones, I noticed immediately their striking superiority to my bargain earphones. But how would they compare to the higher priced brands. For comparison I used a pair of $100+
Bose earbuds . As I write the current review the Soundsoul lists for 20 dollars. Is that a good buy?

On the Galaxy cell phone sound is better through the Bose buds, fuller and with more bass. I also thought the sound through the Soundsoul buds is also excellent though not as full and with less bass. In its own right the sound is very good. So much so that I would not pay 80 dollars more to get the superior sound of the Bose buds. But that's me.

For some strange reason, the music on my Dell laptop is not nearly as good through the Soundsoul buds as it is through the cell phone or through my tablet. So on two out of three devices, music through the Soundsoul buds is very good.

What about phone calls. Voices through the Soundsoul buds is very good, clear and of ample volume. Those on the other end of the line say they can also hear me well. On the cable is an small microphone with an on/off switch. While experimenting, I've learned that pressing the microphone off button disconnects the phone call. I'm still learning how to use that function.

Bottom line - For a low price you get a pair of strikingly attractive earbuds with thick cables that don't easily tie into knots. You also get a hard case for storage and a package of extra ear pieces. As with most earbuds, the user is instructed to break them in; that is, the sound improves with use. It's actually true. For the current price, I think these earphones are a bargain.

Battle with the Bugs: An Imaginative Journey Through the Immune System (Human Body Detectives)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the Belly of Max, October 18, 2014
It has enough five star ratings to form its own universe. I like reading about anatomy, bugs, and particularly the immune system. A no brainer, I thought. Yet when I I tried to read the ebook on my Kindle, the words are too small for these eyes. A few weeks later I revisited the Battle, this time on my generic computer pad. Much better. Larger print and expansive, colorful graphics that filled the screen.

Battle of the Bugs turns out to be and entertaining and educational story for young and old alike. The young more so by the charming story, and the older by the facts about our immune system and the bugs that are always on the prowl. At story's end are concise facts about topics mentioned in the story, a graphic of the immune system for the visually oriented, ways to keep your immune system strong, and even some jokes.

Bottom line - This Potato Head enjoyed experiencing Battle of the Bugs and doesn't hesitate to recommend it.

Note - I had hoped to see Raquel Welch in the story, but we can't have everything.

Polaroid POLC3 Cube HD Digital Video Action Camera Camcorder (Black)
Polaroid POLC3 Cube HD Digital Video Action Camera Camcorder (Black)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with a Few Glitches, October 17, 2014
The Polaroid cube is a unique device that records still pictures or video. It's main attraction is its ability to take action video while attaching the cube to a metal object with the cube's powerful magnet.

The owner's manual with directions is quite basic and requires some reading between the lines. I looked on Polaroid's web site for an expanded manual but found nothing.

The cube comes with a little cable to connect it to a computer. You have to buy a memory card for it. It took forever for the cube to charge and the idiot lights didn't worked as described in the manual. Once I inserted a memory card into the cube, all was well.
On the back of the unit is a switch for 720 or 1080 quality. After using 1080p exclusively, I wouldn't want to even try 720.

Attaching the cube to my car, I recorded several videos which turned out quite well. but with no sound. Probably user error. Still pictures are OK, but nothing to write home about. There is no viewfinder. No LDC screen. All one can do is point the camera in the right direction and hope for the best. Recording is best in sunlight. My indoor photos did not pass the acceptable test.

Attached to this review is a still photo that includes a partial finger. More user error.

Bottom line - The Polaroid cube can be a fun device though with limited applications. On my next trip to Cape May, NJ, I plan to attach the cube to the car and drive around that beautiful, Victorian town to capture some memories.

sample provided

NOTE - A round cover, with a recess for a coin to turn it, is on the back of the unit. When you take it off, remember where you put it. I lost my cover today, but hope to find it in time.

Onite 256 Color LED Mood Rechargeable Light, Touch Pad Control Dream Atmosphere Multi-Colour Changing Lamp, Black
Offered by ONITE
Price: $28.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Looks. Good Function, October 17, 2014
The Onlite LED Mood Rechargeable Light has exceeded all of my expectations. It can be much more than a mood or party light as I am learning the more I use this handy little light. In the box you'll find the light itself, a USB charging cord, and an attachment for charging with AC current.
The lamp comes on with a gently touch of a very sensitive on spot. When the lamp is on, the user can touch a strip of gradating colors to choose one. I like that this strip, which included the on-spot, is recessed for easy access in the dark.

I've used this lamp as ambient light for my laptop at night, as a gentle bathroom light for night time visits, and as a go to light on my nightstand. I'm not looking forward to a power outage, but if and when one happens, the Onlite will be put to good use.

Bottom line - This is a fun and useful little device.

sample provided

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable 5-Piece Everday Kitchen Basic Dishtowel Set, Includes 4 Dishtowels and 1 Dishcloth, Oversized, Dark Brown
Price: $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift Towels, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's an attractive set of dish towels in earth colors that look good in the kitchen. They did shrink a little after washing, but are still nice sized towels. The washcloth is generously sized, larger than any of the washcloths we already have. Absorbency is good, though not spectacular. On each towel there is a hanging loop, something that I've never seen on any of our other towels. It can be used to loop the towel and carry it on a belt.

This set was made in India, but may have been shipped to us from Towelifornia.

DII 100% Polyester, Damask, Machine Washable, Holiday Tablecloth, 60 x 104", Wine, Seats 8 to 10 People
Price: $17.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Good, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's a beautiful understated table cloth, maroon and festive, that brightens up a room. The 60" by 104" is quite large so take care in ordering the right size. Our tablecloth tends to move a bit and needs occasional readjustment, though such movement is not uncommon. Mrs. Spudman nixed my idea of using tacks on each corner to keep the table cloth stationary.

The tablecloth launders nicely in cold water. If necessary, you can press with a warm iron.

Bottom line - We are pleased with this attractive, 100% polyester tablecloth.

Gabrielle and the Dream Potato
Gabrielle and the Dream Potato
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This Spud's For You, October 15, 2014
Potato in the title made Gabrielle and the Dream Potato a must read for this spudophile. The potato plays an unlikely role in this modern fairy tale, a potato with magical properties given to a young birthday girl instead of the doll she wanted badly. Gabrielle is a nicely told tale of sharing, giving, and empathy with a gentle, not heavy-handed message.

My only disappointment is that the graphics are not larger and are not in color. They are well done but would have more impact in a larger format.

Master the ASVAB
Master the ASVAB
by Scott A. Ostrow
Price: $20.76
52 used & new from $9.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great ASVAB choice, October 13, 2014
This review is from: Master the ASVAB (Paperback)
Our tutoring center recently purchased this updated Peterson's ASVAB book, and having used it several weeks now with a new student I think it is a vast improvement on the previous edition. I like that this book has four practice tests with answers and explanations for each question. In addition to the diagnostic test at the beginning, there are four full length practice tests included also.
Other thoughts:
Excellent review of the subjects at the beginning. My student and I especially like the science content.
There is an appendix describing specific military occupations and their civilian counterparts.
A helpful coding speed activity is included.
Throughout the book are excellent graphics.
For vocabulary improvement there are several pages of information for learning word roots.

Bottom line - I like this book quite a bit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20