Profile for Spudman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Spudman RSS Feed (Pasadena, MD United States)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BISSELL Professional Deep Cleaning with Febreze Freshness Spring & Renewal Formula, 2515B, 32 ounces
Price: $22.14
3 used & new from $10.29

4.0 out of 5 stars especially to concentrate on a few suspicious circles The carpet looked good after cleaning with this product and one of my ..., July 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this product on our light, solid color carpet, especially to concentrate on a few suspicious circles The carpet looked good after cleaning with this product and one of my Bissell cleaning machines. After leaning the carpet, I went over it again with clear water to remove some of the soap residue. Mrs. Spudman and I like the subtle fragrance of this Bissell product.

When using this concentrate be sure to concentrate when adding to your machine because too much could result in excess foam. I normally use a little less than recommended and always end up with good results. I'm not brand fussy, meaning I don't hesitate to use any brand of cleaner in another brand's cleaner. Again I have never had problems doing this.

The container size is not large, but since the product is concentrated, it should last a long time for one who cleans the carpet occasionally or when the doggy occasion warrants it.

Obstacles . . . Bring' Em
Obstacles . . . Bring' Em
by Maria Federici Doyle
Price: $9.00
22 used & new from $5.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Cruel Fate, July 19, 2014
You can plan your life down to the smallest detail, take every precaution, and think you're prepared for any eventuality. Then pow! The unexpected happens, and in an instant your life is turned upside down, and like Humpty Dumpty you're left to pick up the pieces as best you can. If you're lucky, you'll have help and support to help you bear the unbearable. If you are Maria Federici, you may have the strength, resolve, and determination to tell Calamity to f**k itself and refuse to surrender.

A young woman is driving home from work as she's done hundreds of times, a piece of unsecured furniture flies off the truck and into her windshield, and her life is forever transformed. Maria tells us her story mostly in the first person, conveying her experience and her feelings. Since she has no memory of so many details surrounding the accident, she shares conversations with the reader with those who can fill in the blanks.

A trauma like the author's is unimaginable, losing so much physically and emotionally. The rebuilding of her face with many surgeries is a metaphor for her life, rebuilt in stages with great determination. Amazingly, even though blind, Maria is still able (with some limitations) to tend bar.

"Obstacles" is an impressive and inspirational book by this first time author. One who is prone to self pity, might be well served to read Maria's story to experience what hardship really is. Surprisingly I didn't experience the emotional jolt I had expected from this book. Perhaps that's because the author feels no self pity and isn't eliciting the reader's. Her dark sense of humor helps her and those close to her get through some hurdles and helps make the impalpable palpable.

NOTE - I thought it odd and unnecessary to include an index in this book. But that's just me.

If You Were Me and Lived in ...Norway: A Child's Introduction to Cultures Around the World
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Norway or My Way, July 19, 2014
Here's a useful little book for those who want to teach or learn about different cultures; it's a mini immersion into the Norwegian ways. This book follows the formula of the author's other "If You Were Me" books. Readers get glimpses of the country's weather, customs, geography, currency, diet, and even a little bit of the language.

I find the graphics in this volume excellent with big and bold with vivid colors. Unfortunately I saw no mention of my favorite vegetable (potato) in this book. Maybe spuds aren't a big part of the Norwegian diet.

Survival Reading Skills for Secondary Students, All Tools
Survival Reading Skills for Secondary Students, All Tools
by Wilma H. Miller
Price: $28.00
66 used & new from $0.46

4.0 out of 5 stars It starts out with some good assessment activities followed by suggestions for improving phonics and ..., July 17, 2014
Survival Reading Skills is a helpful book for those working with older students. It starts out with some good assessment activities followed by suggestions for improving phonics and comprehension skills. I was disappointed that there weren't more pages featuring functional reading activities like: forms, map reading, directions,, recipes, instructions, labels, and so forth.

Though this is an older book, the information and activities within are still relevant and useful.

Anti-Aging Facial Moisturizer Cream 3.4 OZ For Face, Under Eye, Oily, Sensitive, & Dry Skin ★LIMITED SALE!★ Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream | Youth Express Age-Defying Moisturizer | Suitable for Men & Women | Reduces Appearance of Wrinkles, Fine Lines & Hydrates the Skin - Moisturizing Night & Day Cream | Perfectly Suitable As Hand Cream & Eye Cream | 100 Days 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Offered by Instanatural LLC
Price: $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, July 17, 2014
This reviewer is not only over the hill, but getting closer to the bottom every day. It would seem he'd present quite a challenge for the this anti-aging moisturizer. Since his wife wouldn't volunteer to be the test subject, Spudman tried the product on himself. He applied it to one arm and one side of his face daily for several weeks and continues the regimen as you read this.

Results? They are not dramatic (yet), but a noticeable difference is evident by the test subject and some impartial observers also. His treated arm is softer with fewer noticeable wrinkles. The treated side of his face seems firmer and less wrinkly than the untreated side. He likes the feel of the cream on his skin and the subtle but pleasant scent.

If the results of Spudman's product trial become more dramatic over time, he may return to this review and add a fifth star.

Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $12.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, But You Can't Look Away, July 16, 2014
In the early 1970s when I started my middle school teaching career, autism, food allergies, juvenile diabetes, asthma, obesity all existed more as anomalies than the norm. Fast forward 40 years to find these conditions widespread. Many theories are bandied about to explain the change: the author of Microbes has suggested an explanation that may have some substance.

Blaser considers why all these changes have occurred in the same time frame and looks for a plausible cause. His premise is that widespread overuse of antibiotics and increased Cesarean births have upset man’s natural microbiome, turned its balance topsy turvy and even wiped out some obscure but necessary ancient viruses.

Missing Microbes is a fascinating exploration of our co-passengers in life, the bacteria that sustain us, protect us, and sometimes kill us and how upsetting the natural order can have terrible and unintended consequences. Blaser’s work is a very readable book for the layman, laying out the cards in a frank non condescending style. It’s a wake up call that we should heed before it’s too late.

You Are Perfect Just the Way You Are
You Are Perfect Just the Way You Are
by Sannel Larson
Price: $8.64
10 used & new from $8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Born Perfect, July 14, 2014
Despite the efforts of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, it’s not unusual for youngsters to doubt themselves, to feel less of themselves for not measuring up to the perfection seen in mass media. Sannel Larson uses soothing rhyme and soothingly beautiful graphics to reinforce the concept of self worth and uniqueness.

“You are Perfect” is perfect to read aloud with a child, to share and discuss with the young audience. This is the kind of book that begs for a return visit to the text and especially for the stunning graphics.

Netgear Mingle Mobile WiFi Hotspot (Virgin Mobile)
Netgear Mingle Mobile WiFi Hotspot (Virgin Mobile)
Price: $96.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet on the Go, July 13, 2014
We occasionally visit a New Jersey friend who doesn't have an internet connection. Not wanting to risk cyber withdrawal again, I decided to purchase a hot spot device for those occasional trips and for those occasions when Comcast is on the fritz. After the usual extensive, perhaps excessive, research I decided on the Netgear mingle since I also have Virgin Mobile phone service.

In the box is the wifi unit, a charging cord, and a cursory set of directions for setup and use.

My experience:
Installing and charging the battery is literally a snap; the charging is not an all day affair. I was able to power up and install the device before the battery was charged by keping the unit plugged in. Be sure to disconnect your current wifi connection, if you have one, before attempting to set up and register the Virgin Mobile Hotspot.

As soon as I clicked on Internet Explorer a link to Mingle Mobile Hotspot appeared. I thought I was home free, but came to many dead ends and a number of times was ready to give up and call Virgin Mobile for help. I got too many messages telling me I had done something wrong or that I could not be connected to the next step. It took me between thirty and fifty minutes to finally register, choose a payment option, and pay. I chose the 25 dollar a month option, finding it a better deal than the five dollars a day option.

Once I connected to the Mingle hotspot I was free to roam the internet. Speed and connectivity on the Mingle is not bad at all. Data use on the Mingle is not unlimited so I didn't watch any movies while using it. I did view a very short YouTube movie and downloaded some photos with no problem ,however.

Today my laptop was being finicky and preventing me from getting online. A lightbulb came on in my head, and I decided to see how the mingle would work for me. It powered on in about thirty seconds and the laptop recognized it instantly; I was in business and loving it.

By the way, I am also able to connect my wife's Kindle to the Mingle, enabling both of us to be online simultaneously using the Mingle Mobile.

Bottom line - Set up and registration was a bit frustrating, but once set up the Mingle is a joy, a terrific convenience, and insurance for those times when the internet is inaccessible for you.

UPDATE - After extensive use of the Mingle in NJ, I am loving this product. Battery life is incredible, and performance is outstanding. I highly recommend the Mingle. Speed here is every bit as good as Comcast's and I stay connected more reliably.

Iams ProActive Health Adult Small and Toy Breed Premium Dog Food, 12.5-Pound
Iams ProActive Health Adult Small and Toy Breed Premium Dog Food, 12.5-Pound
Price: $17.97
5 used & new from $17.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for the Small Ones, July 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Iams is a respected and established maker of dog foods, so I use their products with some confidence. The kibble size of this food is small, yet with a crunch that satisfies the petite mouths of our two girls. So far there have been no complaints from these fussy eaters and no upset stomachs.
We like that chicken is ingredient one, but are less than enthused that corn meal is ingredient three. With no added sugar, dyes, or artificial preservatives, this is a food that looks out for the health of your pet.

Loyal WMS4-C000674 Braided 3/8-Inch Washing Machine Connector, Stainless Steel
Loyal WMS4-C000674 Braided 3/8-Inch Washing Machine Connector, Stainless Steel
Offered by Diddly Deals
Price: $6.21
25 used & new from $4.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Hose the Boss, July 11, 2014
The hoses arrived next day when I ordered using Prime. These Loyal braided hoses are much nicer than the old rubber hoses they replaced and were very easy to install. Four feet was more than adequate, and three would have worked just as well. Even with the extra length, the hoses stretched out well with no kinking.

For me the hardest part of replacing the washing machine hoses was removing the old ones. One connection was rusted on so stubbornly that after trying WD40 and heat, I resorted to sawing off the metal hose connector with my Dremel. All's well that ends well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20