Profile for Daniel C. Storm > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel C. Storm RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
What a Life
What a Life
Price: $12.99
67 used & new from $1.17

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Life. What a CD, February 5, 2013
This review is from: What a Life (Audio CD)
This is a really nice album from Ms. Boheme. A little bit of a departure from her first, mostly jazz, album this one has a more pop love song feel, but this CD feels more like the real Boheme. This was produced by crooner Michael Buble who obviously knows talent when he sees it. She writes many of the tracks on the album and you can really relate with her words of falling in and out of love. The title track, What A Life, is my favorite and I've been listening to it all day! There's also a real nice cover of Cold Play's IN MY PLACE. The album works best when she's just left to sing and share her feelings of love and heartache. Overall I highly recommend this CD. If Erin keeps singing and putting out albums like this, what a life it would be, indeed.

UPDATE: Now that I've had a good month to listen to this album (non-stop! Ha!) I have to say this album really hits a home run. I edited my original review slightly. There is only 1 track I'm not crazy about, the rest I actually LOVE! So 9 out of 10 is much better than you get out of most records these days. Really an amazing album, even if it does sometimes make you feel melancholy about your own past/present/future relationships. But isn't that what a good song does, evoke memories and emotions? 4 stars +

DVD ~ ChloŽ Grace Moretz
Price: $16.73
15 used & new from $8.89

4.0 out of 5 stars The critics ripped it, but I thought it was pretty good!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Hick (DVD)
I went into this movie thinking it was going to be total garbage, based on the reviews by critics. Wow, was I surprised. Did the critics see the same film I saw? Not only is this film not garbage, but I really liked it! The acting is very good, especially the scene stealing Eddie Redmayne. Chloe was born to play Luli and Blake Lively even shows some acting chops as Glenda. Don't get me wrong, this is not a perfect film, it has it's pacing and plot hole problems and had I not read the book, I might even have been lost in a spot or two. It's definitely not a film for everyone based on the dark subject matter, but if you're looking for something good that is away from the mainstream dreck that Hollywood pumps out on a daily basis, then check this one out. This film is based on the excellent book by Andrea Portes and she even pens the screenplay. A pretty decent job for a first-time screenwriter. I suggest reading the book before seeing the movie. My only gripe is that I wish this DVD wasn't so bare bones. Hopefully there is a director's cut coming and how about a Blu-Ray???

Three Investigators & Secret of Skeleton Island
Three Investigators & Secret of Skeleton Island
DVD ~ Chancellor Miller
Price: $6.55
34 used & new from $1.71

4.0 out of 5 stars The Three Investigators are back!, September 21, 2011
Fans of the THE THREE INVESTIGATORS books unite! Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews come to life in this live action version of The Three Investigators books we all loved as kids.

I'm glad this is finally available in Region 1 so the fans in the United States can see this. The movie gets started right away with a little suspense/action sequence in an elevator shaft. This leads into another scene where the investigators solve a mystery and introduce themselves. The title sequence then rolls and shortly after we're off to Skeleton Island. The story has very little to do with the original Robert Arthur book but I found it to be enjoyable nonetheless. It had some fun "Indiana Jones" type action sequences, though I thought the movie could of used some more suspense and a little more action too. There were a couple laughs and some fun *winks* referencing previous books for the fans that I thought were cool. The story was easy to follow and had some nice exotic locations. Though all the child actors didn't quite fit the book descriptions, I thought they did a great job. I loaned this to some friends who had kids under 10 and they were crazy about this movie! They loved it, even asking to borrow it again!

Overall I found the movie to very enjoyable. If you're a die hard of the books you might find it less so, but if you just have fond memories of the books and haven't read them in a while, I think you'll like this movie and of course if you have kids this is a must buy! There is a 2nd movie that was made based on The Secret of Terror Castle that is even better than this one. When it comes out on DVD early next year be sure to pick that one up as well!

I don't see anything about EXTRAS included on this DVD but if the producers of this DVD are listening, it would be great to get some behind the scenes stuff like deleted scenes, interviews and more!

On another note, be sure to check out my Three Investigators facebook page at [...] and if anyone has any original art from the books for sale, please contact me as I am a collector ... Thanks!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 6:34 PM PDT

The Three Investigators and the Secret of Skeleton Island [Region 4]
The Three Investigators and the Secret of Skeleton Island [Region 4]
DVD ~ Chancellor Miller
2 used & new from $28.98

5.0 out of 5 stars When is this coming out in Region 1???, May 22, 2010
When is this coming out in Region 1 dvd??? Haven't we waited long enough? Oh and while you're at it, release Terror Castle as well! The better of the two, though I enjoyed them both. If you're a fan, please join my facebook page at [...]

The movie gets started right away with a little suspense/action sequence in an elevator shaft that leads into another scene where the Investigators solve a mystery and introduce themselves. The title sequence then rolls and introduces the characters and then shortly after we're off to Skeleton Island. The story has very little to do with the book but I found it enjoyable, maybe because I hadn't read Skeleton Island since I was a kid. It had some fun "Indiana Jones" type action sequences, though I thought the movie could of used some more suspense and a little more action too. There were a couple small laughs and some fun *winks* referencing previous books for the fans that I thought were cool. They should of done a little more with that, but I thought it was great. The story was easy to follow and had some nice exotic locations. Though all the kid actors didn't quite fit the book descriptions, I thought they did a great job.

The movie cost about $17 million U.S. dollars to make, but I couldn't find out any box office numbers to see how the film did overall. They have made a second film based on Terror Castle but I know that this was a planned trilogy so I'm not sure if production was already under way before the first movie came out or not.

Overall I found the movie very enjoyable. If you're a diehard of the books you might find it less so, but if you just have fond memories of the books and haven't read them or even remember them much, I think you'll like this movie.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2010 8:47 AM PDT

Dark Shadows The Revival - The Complete Series
Dark Shadows The Revival - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Paul Lynch
11 used & new from $20.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of the Shadows ..., February 24, 2009
I've owned this box set for 2 years and just THIS WEEK finally got around to watching it! Wow, I really dig this show. I remember seeing a few episodes back when it first aired and remembered liking it and since I hadn't see it all, I picked up this box set. I just finished episode 5 and I'm really digging it. The picture quality is really good, especially for being 18 years old. It is a shame that the show is cropped though! The show doesn't feel dated at all. The actors are great, the show is intriguing, and Ben Cross as Barnabus is simply amazing and downright creepy at times. I'm glad I finally got around to watching this and I recommend for anyone to pick this up. Sadly, the show ended too soon and I remember the finale really leaves you hanging as the show was never renewed :( but I'm looking forward to the final episode anyways!

Skylark
Skylark
Price: $10.50
52 used & new from $1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Skylark, do you have anything to say to me?, May 23, 2008
This review is from: Skylark (Audio CD)
The answer is yes if you like slow songs. This is a pretty good album, but not nearly as good as her debut. The problem, in my opinion, is there is too much "sap" and not enough "pizazz". Don't get me wrong, there are some "GREAT" songs on here, but where Renee really shines is on the fun stuff like THANKS FOR THE BOOGIE RIDE and AIN'T WE GO FUN and there just isn't enough of it! I think they could of substituted a few of the slower songs and had a better result. Renee also wrote a couple songs herself and while they are good songs in their own right, I don't think they fit with the rest of the album. Hold me now is my favorite of those. With that said, I recommend this album for songs like MIDNIGHT MAN, STARS FELL ON ALABAMA, SKYLARK and the 2 up-tempo songs mentioned above. But if this is your first album purchase for Renee, I recommend her previous album first. Either way, you will enjoy both, I know I do

by Andrea Portes
Price: $12.43
51 used & new from $3.46

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a HICK but I really liked this book :), November 14, 2007
This review is from: Hick (Paperback)
SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE! Chloe Moretz has been cast as Luli. Very exciting news. Please join the facebook page for HICK for all the info

I'm not much of a reader honestly, but I really loved this book! The author really has a way with word play that I really like. This is an example of one of my favorite exchanges from the book that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

"Well, I don't see how that's any of your business...and the name's not Mister, it's Eddie. Eddie Kreezer." "I smile and make a bashful act, bending over myself, trying to let him sneak a peek at my newfound bubbles, hoping for a free ride. I figure I can turn his none-of-your-business into Las Vegas with a little bit of sugar."

Seeeeeeeeeeee. I love that! Well written and a VERY solid debut from young Miss Portes. I zipped through this book in 2 days and I imagine that you'll do the same. Pick this one up, I highly recommend it!

Mad Monster Party
Mad Monster Party
DVD ~ Boris Karloff
Offered by btrdev
Price: $27.15
32 used & new from $1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a Monster Mash !!! This dvd will be a monster smash!!, June 27, 2002
This review is from: Mad Monster Party (DVD)
Who remembers this classic?!?!?!?! This movie is hilarious! They show it every year on AMC and now there is a new restored print. This dvd will put the long out of print vhs to shame. Here's the description from our friends at Anchor Bay! Nice job Anchor Bay!!
Baron Von Frankenstein, voiced by the legendary Boris Karloff (DR. SEUSS'S HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS), holds a special convention of The Worldwide Organization Of Monsters to discuss his retirement. When he announces that his successor will be his nerd nephew Felix, the world's major monsters are mortified. Now The Creature's Bride (voiced by Phyllis Diller), Count Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and more must all scramble to steal the Baron's ultimate secret during one wild party packed with cool monster music and outrageous monster madness!
The mad monster classic you loved as a kid is now better than ever! Filmed in the revolutionary stop-motion of "Animagic" by Rankin/Bass (creators of such holiday TV classics as RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER and FROSTY THE SNOWMAN), MAD MONSTER PARTY has now been spectacularly restored for the first time ever from original 35mm elements and is loaded with tons of exclusive mad monster extras!
Includes a 24-Page Collector's Booklet with liner notes and rare photos by Rankin/Bass Historian Rick Goldschmidt
Starring: Ethel Ennis, Boris Karloff, Phyllis Diller, Gale Garnett Director: Jules Bass Producer: Arthur Rankin, Jr.
Features

Flip-Flopped: A Novel
Flip-Flopped: A Novel
by Jill Smolinski
72 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't remember Hawaii ever being this much fun!, June 21, 2002
This review is from: Flip-Flopped: A Novel (Hardcover)
I'll be honest, this is my girlfriend's book. Personally as a straight male I wouldn't be caught dead reading a book like this. But my girlfriend read it and I kept wondering what the hell she was laughing out loud about. She handed the book to me several times over the days that she was reading it and I found myself cracking up as well. Needless to say, when she was finished, I picked it up. I'm normally the "Stephen King" type book reader, but this book is damn funny, especially for a "chick book". Anyways, I'm sure the women will love this book, but if you're a guy and want some hilarious insight into the way a woman's mind can work, pick this book up. Of course this is fiction (wink, wink).

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Ewan McGregor
31 used & new from $11.98

4.0 out of 5 stars The Force is strong in this one. Episode 1 on DVD 10/16/2001, June 19, 2001
Well Star Wars fans, the wait is finally over. George Lucas has crumbled under fan pressure and is finally going to release Episode 1 on dvd. As a fan, I can only hope that this is just the beginning!! Fans desperately want Episodes 4-6 on DVD, but we'll settle for this for now. Hey George, how about getting together with Steven Spielberg and finally put out the Indy Jones Trilogy as well??
Anyways folks, here is what you will be getting. I'm sure more stuff will be announced but this is it for now. Enjoy!
At about 480 minutes in length, it features over six hours of additional bonus material, including brand new visual effects sequences executed just for the DVD release.
* The Phantom Menace, mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality, presented in Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby 5.1 Surround EX (English), Dolby 2.0 Surround (English and Spanish), and Dolby 2.0 Surround (French, for Canadian release)
* Audio commentary by Writer-Director George Lucas; Producer Rick McCallum; Co-Editor and Sound Designer Ben Burtt; Visual Effects Supervisors Scott Squires, John Knoll and Dennis Muren; and Animation Supervisor Rob Coleman, offering personal insights into the making of the film
* Seven never-before-seen deleted scenes with full visual effects completed just for the DVD release
* "The Beginning" -- an all-new hour-long documentary culled from over 600 hours of footage offering unprecedented access inside Lucasfilm and ILM during the making of Episode I
* Multi-angle storyboard to animatic to finished film feature, that lets you flip through the various phases of development of key action sequences
* Five behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring The Phantom Menace's storyline, designs, costumes, visual effects and fight scenes
* The popular "Duel of the Fates" music video that debuted in 1999
* All 12 parts of the Lynne's Diaries, the web documentaries that first appeared at starwars.com
* Galleries of theatrical posters, print campaign, and never-before-scene production photos
* Original theatrical teaser and launch trailers
* Seven TV spots including the "tone poems"

That's it for now. Purchase this dvd and the force will be with you, always.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3