Profile for Rick Douthit > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rick Douthit RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Terrified
Terrified
Price: $8.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too verbose!, November 13, 2014
This review is from: Terrified (Kindle Edition)
I'm 60% into this book, and I'm not sure I can make it to the end. The author just seems to fill the pages with insignificant drivel that has little to no impact on the story. If you're looking for a fast-paced, action packed thriller, this is not it.

Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Fuchsia - Pink
Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Fuchsia - Pink
Offered by productqueenb
Price: $436.78
70 used & new from $329.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dyson is Good at 1 Thing: MARKETING! Their Vacuums are VERY Poorly Made & Designed!, July 1, 2014
Dyson fooled me once, but never again.

Let me start by saying the DC41 isn't all bad, but it's bad enough to make me write a negative review. I would venture to say positive reviews are written during the honeymoon phase of the reviewer's purchase. That, and some people may just be lucky that their Dyson has served them well.

Certainly, after owning one for awhile the many flaws & poor design will surface for most of us. Below is a list of things I've observed with mine:

1) Made with very cheap plastic that breaks easily. On mine the red plastic shaft that unlatches the dirt bin trap door snapped in two from just opening it normally.

2) The dirt bin is VERY messy to empty. Dust flies everywhere. We have to take it outside to empty it. Also, dog hair tends to stick up in the top part of the bin which requires sticking your hand up there to remove it. Pretty gross.

3) The self-adjusting cleaning head quit adjusting properly, with the result being poor carpet cleaning & making it impossible to push on a smooth floor. (The head gets sucked down on the floor with no clearance.)

4) It's tough to get the handle to stay in the upright position. There's no manual foot pedal (another poor design).

5) The vacuum makes plastic on plastic squeaking noises while being maneuvered. My parrot actually learned to mimic this perfectly.

6) The filters must be cleaned frequently and allowed to dry for 24 hrs.

BOTTOM LINE:
This vacuum is not worth the money, not even close! If you have the money for this you'd be much better off getting a high-quality German machine like Sebo or Miele; I just got a Sebo & there's no comparison! Like I said, Dyson fooled me once.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 2:42 PM PDT

FRYE Brooke Drawstring Novelty Bag,Brown,One Size
FRYE Brooke Drawstring Novelty Bag,Brown,One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect purse for my everyday needs., December 13, 2013
I bought this for my lovely wife, and this is what she has to say about it:

"Love my new purse from Frye. Great quality and workmanship that should last for a long time. I used some WD40(with the straw tip) on the zippers after reading one customers comments. The zippers work smoothly now. The purse is a perfect size, I have already transferred my "personal must have in my purse" items, and still have room to spare. I like to get into my purse easily, and with the snap I can leave the drawstring loose for easy access. Love the style. Perfect for the chic cowgirl."

Saving the World
Saving the World

5.0 out of 5 stars No Limit to Ponzo's Versatility!, December 2, 2013
This review is from: Saving the World (Kindle Edition)
My wife and I are big Gary Ponzo fans. His story telling talents capture you from the beginning, making it very difficult to put his books down. His newest book "Saving the World", while being a thriller, also makes one ponder human nature, science and your faith in God. Ponzo gets your imagination running wild trying to figure out the interconnection between these forces and the novel's unique characters. A very intriguing, original, and most enjoyable novel!

Sony A99 by QuickPro Camera Guides
Sony A99 by QuickPro Camera Guides
DVD ~ Todd Hansen
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT worth it!, March 30, 2013
This DVD does nothing but go over what the manual contains, only it does it in less depth. I kept waiting to hear something more that "this button selects that" kind of instruction. It never happened. Save your money & read the manual.

A Touch of Malice (A Nick Bracco Thriller Book 4)
A Touch of Malice (A Nick Bracco Thriller Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars They Just Keep Getting Better!, February 28, 2013
This is a thriller in every sense of the word. Gary Ponzo takes you instantly from sedate, to heart-pounding suspense, and never lets up the entire way. I wanted to pace myself so I could enjoy this book over a period of time. It didn't happen; I finished this book in record time!

As a former detective, I'm used to figuring out the endings in most books, but Gary got me on this one! Very clever writing Gary.

I think this is the best of the Nick Bracco series thus far. Of course Nick & Matt are their usual unconventional selves, and we get a good dose of Tommy (my favorite), plus a surprise character from the past. The villains in this book are the most heinous yet, and that's just the human villains. His nonhuman villains will give you the heebie-jeebies!

I highly recommend this book. 5 stars Ponzo!

Sony FDAEV1MK Electronic Viewfinder Kit (Black)
Sony FDAEV1MK Electronic Viewfinder Kit (Black)
Price: $448.00
16 used & new from $329.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for the RX1, January 20, 2013
I love my Sony RX1. I love it even more with this gem of a viewfinder! Like the RX1 it's very well made & feels solid.

If you've never experienced the latest Sony EVFs you're in for a happy surprise. This viewfinder allows you to see exactly what your picture will look like. The super high resolution OLED screen makes you forget that it's an electronic viewfinder. It's that clear & fast. I was taking some shots in bright sun the other day & it occurred to me how much easier it was to compose & make adjustments using the viewfinder as opposed to the LCD screen. I like that it articulates up & down to allow comfortable viewing at different angles. For me, having this EVF just makes shooting feel more natural.

Of course I wish Sony would have included this as a part of the RX1 package, but that's really my only complaint. If you own an RX1 this is a "must-have".
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 12:07 PM PDT

Sony DSC-RX1/B Cyber-shot Full-frame Digital Camera
Sony DSC-RX1/B Cyber-shot Full-frame Digital Camera
Price: $2,798.00
36 used & new from $1,519.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this camera for what it is, not what it isn't., January 6, 2013
I've had this amazing little camera for over a week now. In that time I've taken several hundred shots with it. Time for my review.

In reading some of the negative reviews it has become apparent many people have the wrong expectations of the RX1. Let's look at what you can expect, and what you can't.

What to expect:

1. Unmatched image quality. At the end of the day isn't this the most important aspect of any camera? Simply put, the RX1 will give you beautiful images.

2. Low light capabilities. I've shot many indoor pics including in a dark restaurant, and have yet to use the flash. How this little camera can produce such stunning images in low light is, to me, one of it's strongest features. Now I understand why Sony chose to not include image stabilization for stills; it doesn't need it. You can always adjust the ISO to get the shutter speed needed for hand-held shots (not to mention the high speed lens). The full frame chip constantly produces low noise images even at relatively high ISO.

3. Customizable buttons & dials. This is a great asset when conditions require a quick change of settings.

4. Rich colors & creamy bokeh. The people at Zeiss got this lens right. And it's WAY sharp at all apertures.

5. First class build quality. Feels very solid & well machined.

6. Last, but certainly not least, is portability. No camera is worth anything if you don't have it with you. You'll find yourself grabbing the RX1 at times you most likely would have left that hefty DSLR & lenses at home.

What not to expect:

1. Long range shooting. You must learn to use 35mm as your only focal length. (okay, it does allow for 50mm & 70mm "zoom" but it's merely cropping). I read Steve Huff's article on how shooting exclusively with a 35mm fixed lens can make you a better photographer. He makes some good points. I should mention that I do like birding, so I'm keeping my Minolta D7 with a Sony 70-300mm G lens for that purpose.

2. Price. This is debatable. Clearly Sony has created this camera for the serious photographer, and not the casual consumer. If image quality is your primary need, this could be considered a bargain.

3. Lack of an included viewfinder. I will be getting the EVF when it's available, however I don't miss it to the degree I thought I would. My guess is Sony was not able to hold the price of the RX1 below $3000 with an EVF.

Conclusion:

The RX1 is unlike any other camera in the world, and Sony has hit a home run with it. You'll find yourself amazed by the images it can produce. If you have the proper expectations for the RX1, you will certainly be pleased. Just don't expect it to be what it's not.

Kuzy - 2in1 BLACK NEWEST Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" with Retina Display A1398 Rubberized Hard Case and Keyboard Cover for Aluminum Unibody 15-Inch (NEWEST VERSION) Release June 2012
Offered by KUZY
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit, August 2, 2012
I am very impressed with the quality of this case. It fits perfectly, and the rubber grips on the bottom do a nice job of keeping the Macbook Pro Retina from sliding off the Belkin Lap Stand.Belkin F8N044-023 Notebook CushTop Stand (Dark Sky/Pitch Black) Together they make a great combination!

A Touch of Greed (A Nick Bracco Thriller Book 3)
A Touch of Greed (A Nick Bracco Thriller Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Ponzo is Established!, February 27, 2012
With the release of this book I can say Gary Ponzo has firmly established himself as a top fiction writer. All of the elements are there: Action, Mystery, Love, Intensity, Dialog, Politics, & Plot; all at a Break-Neck Pace.

When you read Gary's books you can always expect surprising twists in the plots. "A Touch of Greed" is no exception. Just about the time you think you've figured out what's happening, (he has skillfully maneuvered you in the position he wants), then BAM, you've been had! Only the best writers can pull that off without it seeming contrived. Hollywood would be wise to make this into a film.

Don't ride the fence on this one folks; put it on your Kindle and enjoy the ride! You'll also enjoy A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Series #1), and A Touch of Revenge (A Nick Bracco Thriller).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3