Profile for Rick Manelius > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rick Manelius RSS Feed (Fort Collins, Colorado)

The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $16.14

5.0 out of 5 stars So many tragedies could have been avoided if they had only read this book first..., October 25, 2012
I've been a web developer for almost 4 years now and I've heard so many horror stories (across the industry) of companies spending tons of money building out these elaborate pieces of technology, only to get no return on their investment and no impact from their efforts.

In case you haven't heard the story, here is how it (typically) goes...

1. Person/company builds a website thinking the world will beat a path to their door because their idea is just that awesome.
2. When that doesn't happen, they realize "Ah! I'm must not be using the right CMS, social networks, and newsletter services!"
3. When that doesn't work, they discover "Ah! It's not the tools, I'm just not using them effectively/efficiently!"
4. When that doesn't solve everything, they finally cry out... "HELP!"

This last line is not a joke. Two days ago I received an email from an old friend with the first line being "HELP." Basically they didn't get the response they were hoping for and were about to lose a lot of money as a result. Sadly, by the time someone screams for HELP it is usually too late... and in this case, it was.

The Impact Equation is a book that forces you to look at the entire picture and not rely on technology on the magic bullet to help you achieve all your goals. And best of all, I absolutely love the CREATE acronym (i.g. Impact = Contrast * [Reach + Exposure + Articulation + Trust + Echo]). It now only allows you to easily remember all the major components of what is required to achieve the goal at hand, but it allows you to benchmark where you're doing well and what areas you need to focus and improve.

I would consider reading this book to be a pre-requisite before any discussion about a new web/website project. It will help you avoid many of the pitfalls I outlined above, saving you countless hours, dollars, and headaches.

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
by Janet Mills
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $14.71
41 used & new from $10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Yet Practical, June 3, 2011
Anger, resentment, frustration: I think we've all experienced these emotions due to miscommunications and misunderstandings in our relationships.

Two years ago, I was going through a rough spot where there was a disconnect is many of my relationships (resulting in a lot of hurt feelings on both sides). I confided in one of my best friends and he recommended this book because it helped him better communicate with others and not take their thoughts, ideas, and opinions personally, thereby distancing himself from negative emotions that would have otherwise poured over him. Even when people insulted him directly, he told me, it didn't have the same 'sting' as before.

I've since read the book version over 20 times cover-to-cover and listened to the audio version several times. The reason for this repetition is not because I'm dense or because the information is complicated. Rather, each time I read it, I learn a little more it from both an intellectual as well as an experiential level. I can honestly say it's completely transformed several of my relationships, most notably with both my parents and some people from my past that I didn't care for at the time.

The point is, if you're experiencing bad relationships with either yourself or others, the wisdom in the 4 agreements will help you break all these previous beliefs, assumptions, and ideas that keep your mind and heart trapped in your own illusions. I'm only part of the way down this path, but can wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone and anyone willing to transform their lives.

Plugable USB 2.0 10-Port High Speed Hub with 12.5W Power Adapter and Two Flip-Up Ports
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $21.95
4 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A DEFINITE must for the technology enthusiast, June 3, 2011
I have the following: laptop, external monitor, printer, external microphone, bluetooth mouse, iphone, ipod, scanner, and occasional an external hard drive, camera, video camera, USB sticks, and etc. So I would get very annoyed every time I wanted to connect or disconnect my laptop because it was a multi-step process that would take several minutes. It wasn't the end of the world, but it really made me loathe to go through the process.

This USB port is super easy to setup and now I just connect or disconnect ONE cable to connect them all. It's such a blessing and keeps my cables much more tangle free because I'm not constantly connecting or disconnecting. I was initially worried that this wouldn't be able to power all these devices, but I've had NO issues whatsoever.

Considering the marginal cost over the 4 and 7 port USB hubs, I would recommend this to anyone on the off chance that you may need to save your sanity later and not play musical USB chords by swapping them in and out.

Learning Postscript: A Visual Approach
Learning Postscript: A Visual Approach
by Ross Smith
26 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good book, June 11, 2004
Simple, concise, yet by no means limited. I learned essentially all the postscript that I needed to know for my job in about 3 hours reading this book. Excellent examples, easy to follow, what could more could you ask for?