Profile for David N Snowdy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David N Snowdy RSS Feed

New Trent PowerPak Xtreme 12000mAh Rugged Water/Dirt/Shockproof Dual USB Port External Battery Charger/Power Pack for Smartphones, Tablets and more. (Black-Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerPak works!, November 18, 2013
I've only had it a little while. After I fully charged my PowerPak I plugged my iPhone 5 into it and let the phone charge every night for a week to make sure it was working. It didn't fully charge the phone but did charge up to 97% every night. The PowerPak still has 5 lights lit (fully charged) and will use it the next time I have an extended trip.

LOFTEK® Sentinel Wireless Pan/tilt 3x Optical Zoom Waterproof Outdoor & indoor Dome Wifi/Wirelss/Network/IP Camera. 4mm-9mm Lens, Viewing Angle: 30°-69°, Pan/Tilt Angle: 355°/90°. White

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm pretty sure I like it, August 5, 2012
The camera's not bad. You have to consider the price of it. I didn't need PTZ but glad the feature is there so I can mount it anywhere and adjust the shot. I just need it for motion detection and don't need the patrol feature. Also, it's built into an outdoor housing.

Easy to setup and mount. I found the wifi connection good from different locations outside of the house.
I wish it were a night-vision camera. It's just about useless without some light. I may either install a motion sensor light of buy a D2 and move the D1 somewhere else.
Zoneminder is the server I'm using. Zoneminder works well with it at 640x480 (can't get it working at 320x240 yet but that's OK). I haven't bothered to set up the control scripts since the camera is on a static shot for my needs.

Focus seems to be a problem with theses cameras but you usually have to tweak the focus somehow on the cameras I've dealt with.
I had to do the usual fix of opening up the housing and take the lens loose. It was already snug against the mount and the lens needed to move a little more in that direction but by turning it in the direction it needed to turn and tightening the set screw, I got it to look a lot better. If the lens needed to slide out, that would have been no problem. All the screws are painted over with screw lock and/or tamper evident dye. All the threads I've read from Loftek tech support tells you to focus using this method so I guess it's OK to break the seals.

Also, focus is confused often with unwanted foreground objects. It Does seem to auto focus. I'm shooting a back deck of the house. Any foreground objects will put the shot out of focus. I actually cut one bush down when I first placed the camera and that seemed to fix things. I moved it a lot closer to the house now and have a better shot but there is a handrail that the sun hits at times and it makes the camera focus to the foreground again.

You get a lot for the money but if you have to deal with the focus problem, unless you're used to taking delicate equipment apart and can manage tiny screws on the lens (the whole camera is delicately suspended within the pan/tilt/zoom mechanism also) you might want to look at something else, but it will probably cost more. I bought the camera knowing about the issues and am happy with it.

Crazy Cart 48-LED CCTV Ir Infrared Night Vision Illuminator
Crazy Cart 48-LED CCTV Ir Infrared Night Vision Illuminator
Offered by LI ZHEN HUAN
Price: $9.40
26 used & new from $6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, awaiting refund or replacement, July 20, 2012
Was DOA. One of the holes that the base screws into was tapped too large and screw wouldn't stay in. The rest of the unit looks great though. I did a return through amazon (I pay shipping, I MIGHT get $3 bucks back out of the whole deal but paid the initial cost plus shipping twice so far...).
I'll try to find another product in the meantime that might be better made.