Profile for Chamberlain > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chamberlain RSS Feed (Palo Alto, CA)

Downton Abbey Season 3 [HD]
Downton Abbey Season 3 [HD]
DVD
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV show of the decade, August 4, 2013
Our whole family is addicted to Downton Abbey. Season 3 continues the saga of an irresistibly compelling aristocratic family and their heroic household staff as they modernize to keep pace with the social and technological revolutions of the 20th century.

Homo Evolutis (Kindle Single) (TED Books)
Homo Evolutis (Kindle Single) (TED Books)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, funny and fast: Best two-hour read I've had in a long time, February 13, 2011
Sometimes you just need to zoom out of the day-to-day of work and family and remember where you came from, and where you might be going. Start, say, about 14 or 15 billion years ago with the big bang. Zoom through the history of life (read: microscopic bugs) on earth. Consider that the Neanderthals and four or five other humanoids coexisted at one time, and that (oh by the way) Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals swapped spit (and other fluids). And that even without mapping the human genome history of the planet suggests we will see the human race evolve - or "speciate" - into something different. The science of DNA manipulation, though, will accelerate the possibilities.

Blunders in International Business
Blunders in International Business
by David A. Ricks
Price: $26.55
86 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin on substance but good anecdotes, December 3, 2009
This book reads fairly quickly so it's not a waste of time, but it's not a weighty book - you won't learn a ton. But you will gain a few good anecdotes that can be leveraged to make a few points in class (or work I suppose). Recommend buying a used version.

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White - 2nd Generation
Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White - 2nd Generation
4 used & new from $209.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a quick note on customer service, December 3, 2009
Needed to put this out there - I have never had a better tech company customer service experience with Amazon when my Kindle recently died. The screen got a bunch of horizontal lines and I have no idea how. I called the Amazon customer service line, and got a real person, and after a few quick questions, he informed me I would be able to exchange my Kindle. The new one came within days. Really easy and amazing. (Dell - take note.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2011 9:57 AM PDT

FlipShare TV
FlipShare TV
Offered by The Hudson Haven
Price: $39.99
20 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another world, December 3, 2009
This review is from: FlipShare TV (Electronics)
So as expected this flipshareTV was easy to set up and worked right out of the box. What was not expected was how amazing it was to see my videos on TV for the first time. I now have a few Flip cams, and I find I show my friends and family my videos by (a) showing people videos on the small screen of my Flip, or (b) sometimes sending clips via email using the Flip software, or (c) most often uploading them directly to Facebook from the Flip software. (If you want to share the full-size file, btw, the best way is to export from the flip software and use [...].) Anyway, the bottom line is I usually share my videos in a way that you can only see them on a small screen. I've never connected my Flip to my TV. Not sure why. So I have to say I don't have a prior experience to compare FlipShareTV to, but it is AMAZING to see family videos on a flatscreen TV. They look crystal clear, the stream perfectly - better than on my computer - and look like real HD as promised. Even the videos streamed from the Internet instead of laptop looked great. Only negative to report is my laptop lost synch with the flipshareTV box when I moved the laptop to another room across the house. But that's not really surprising. Bottom line is I can't emphasize how much fun it is to see your kids and friends on TV.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation)
Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation)
Offered by ArchStanton
Price: $249.99
41 used & new from $48.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 Again, May 2, 2009
So when I was 17 (and convinced that I would someday be famous) I really wanted a video camcorder to try my hand at making movies, or to film myself to see whether I had what it took to be a TV reporter, but never could justifying spending $500+ on one. Over the years I moved onto other tech cravings and ambitions. Then last year a friend showed me the Flip Mino - and I had to have one. It was super easy to use and fun, and I started getting great videos of my own kids - and captured moments that otherwise would have been fleeting, including my youngest child's first steps. I wish this had been around when I was a kid. Anyway, the Mino is great, but it's tiny tiny tiny. That's convenient when it comes to having a camcorder on you at all times, or when trying to get into events that prohibit cameras, and the screen is really small. So I just picked up this new Flip - the Ultra HD. The screen is wonderfully large. It comes with a rechargeable AA battery back, which works through the USB, but it looks like you can throw in regular AA batteries in a pinch. Sound quality is great, video seems even better than the Mino. Only drawback with both the Mino and Ultra is you have to keep your hand steady when filming - but I find that easier to do with the Ultra than the Mino. Also, it's not ideal for filming kids' concerts, because the zoom is only 2x. But for capturing otherwise fleeting moments in great quality, the Ultra HD is now my standby. The software that comes with it makes it easy to email videos to family and friends, or to upload a video to Flickr or wherever. Bottom line is I've been carrying this thing around nonstop since I got it. Hasn't made me famous yet, but I love my Ultra.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 12:41 AM PST

HP CB030A1H3 Officejet J6450 All-In-One Printer
HP CB030A1H3 Officejet J6450 All-In-One Printer
3 used & new from $165.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Headache!, September 14, 2008
Picked this up today at Costco and will return it tomorrow. Came here to Amazon to find alternatives that actually connect to a home network without a major headache, and that print faster than 1 page per several minutes. This is a case where HP tried to stuff too much into one piece of plastic, so it takes forever to install the support software, when you do your network crashes, etc. etc. Ug.

The D.A.: A True Story
The D.A.: A True Story
by Lawrence Taylor
69 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 19, 2006
This review is from: The D.A.: A True Story (Hardcover)
Bought this on remainder a few years ago and picked it up a couple of days ago. It's terrific. Takes you right inside the LA D.A.'s office and quickly becomes a page turner. Better in many ways than John Grisham, etc., . . . plus it's a true story.

The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future
The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future
by Juan Enriquez
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Book on Politics, December 2, 2005
A professor I know here at school once described Juan Enriquez's writing as "part e. e. cummings, part html." It's true. I just got this and it kept me up through the night. If you've ever thought that there's more to the red state/blue state divide than just presidential elections, or if you've ever thought there's more common culture between western Canada and California than between California and the Carolinas, or if you ever have wondered about the potential of a north-south "nation" of Spanish speakers on the American continent(s), this book will keep you up too. Oh, and did you know the United States almost acquired a large portion of Mexico as part of the Mexican bailout of the mid-90s?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summary of an important issue for Latinos in California!, October 11, 2005
I found this an interesting newspaper account of the debate over whether undocumented immigrants should be given in-state tuition. Useful for a research project on the policy.