Profile for William Greer Jr. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William Greer Jr. RSS Feed (Denver, CO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Hanes Men's Nano-T V-Neck T-Shirt
Hanes Men's Nano-T V-Neck T-Shirt
Offered by NY Lingerie
Price: $7.11
27 used & new from $0.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Material, Tail Runs Very Long, January 25, 2015
All the comments here suggest that these run small. Maybe, in the shoulders. But they are long. I'm 5"10, 180#, reasonably well built. Out of the box these fit well in the shoulders and chest - maybe a little fitted but I like them that way. The shirt reached midway down my thigh, however.

These are probably fine as tucked in undershirts. My observation is that the tails run too long for men of average torso length to use as casual t-shirts.

Inside Out
Inside Out
Price: $3.50
49 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent electric jazz, not jazz fusion. Might be the band's best record., January 16, 2015
This review is from: Inside Out (Audio CD)
Underrated album. Somehow in the 80s "Jazz Fusion" moved away from what Miles Davis, Return to Forever, and the other guys who invented it were doing, and toward a highly arranged, glossy smooth-jazz thing. Even this band was guilty of moving in that direction on a couple of their other recordings.

This, however, is a jazz record. And a very good one. It's highly improvisational, very dynamic, and the compositional themes are interesting. All of the players are masterful individually. In subsequent Elektric Band recordings ("To The Stars" for example), they have some trouble staying out of one another's way. They work very well together here - while this is a "chops" band and a "chops" record, the songs also work well as songs.

That this music was performed with electric instruments is mostly beside the point; the same music could have been done with a traditional bop era four piece and it would have been just as cool.

I saw the band on the tour for this record. A couple of the guys had music stands on stage. Something like that might have been a turnoff, but in this case it seemed to represent that they were operating from sketches and framework, and what we were hearing was coming right from their brains and hands. It was a memorable show.

Kinivo M2 Bluetooth 2.1 Speaker system with NFC pairing (56W)
Kinivo M2 Bluetooth 2.1 Speaker system with NFC pairing (56W)
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $119.99
2 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Price/Sound Quality Value, January 9, 2015
If this were a $450 set of bookshelf speakers I would be complimentary of the soundstage imaging. At $80, it's astounding. I've never heard a better set of bluetooth audio speakers at anywhere near this price.

The crossover point might be a bit high, as I can definitely locate the sub. But it's a nit, and I'm sure Kinivo knew what they were doing, as the satellite speakers aren't very heavy and probably don't have the magnets or excursion capability to go too low.

In any case, I have nothing at all bad to say about this system. It sounds amazing, Bluetooth paired with my Lenovo laptop with no issues, and the price/sound quality value is amazing. Buy with confidence.

BlueAnt Q2 Voice-Controlled Pure Conversation Bluetooth Headset (Black, in BlueAnt Retail Packaging)
Offered by MOONLIGHT EXPRESS
Price: $42.99
30 used & new from $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth headset technology - fine for you, bad for everyone you talk to, September 3, 2014
This was to be my triumphant return to Bluetooth technology. For years, I've been critical of the microphone quality on Bluetooth headsets, and had abandoned them in favor of wired units.

I decided that technology must have advanced, and I wanted to try again. I did exhaustive research on call quality and noise suppression, and ended up choosing this device.

Alas, it was not meant to be. It arrived, I charged it up, paired it with my phone, and left myself a long voice mail message.

It sounded like I was speaking through a sock. Like every other Bluetooth headset ever.

Easy return, though.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 265/75R16 114T
Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 265/75R16 114T
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $128.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding All-Purpose SUV Tires, March 1, 2014
I put a set of these on my 2004 Ford Explorer back in 2009, which is our "extra vehicle" we use for trips up to the ski hill, camping, and dirty duty. 40,000 miles later, they appear to have at least half of their tread left.

Any tire with a tread pattern this aggressive is going to be a little noisy at speed, and these are no different. But - they look great, handle well enough for their purpose, and offroad/wet/snow performance is right up there. In fact, given the tread pattern and extreme siping on these (look at the picture), I decided that snow tires are not necessary for the truck.

It wouldn't surprise me if these tires outlive the truck. But if they don't, I will march out and buy an equivalent set next time around. Given everything I've written above and then considering the price, there's simply no reason to look elsewhere.

I wish Hankook's performance tire offerings were as good.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model
Offered by 6ave
101 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good form factor, good O/S, slowish hardware, February 17, 2014
My employer provided me an iPad and I had to return it when I left. So I found myself without a tablet and not enough money to afford a new iPad. These Samsung tablets were very inexpensive and highly rated, so I thought I would delve into the Android world by trying one.

I love the size - 7 inches is perfect for a tablet, in my view. iPads are too big.

The operating system is fine; I enjoy how flexible and configurable Android is. There are a few things it does clearly better than iOS. App selection seems to be fine, although there is a weird thing going on with Amazon Prime Instant Video that probably relates to the Kindle.

As a music player, this device sounds very good - much better than any iPod or iPhone I have tried. Not many people mention that.

But - the hardware is terrible. It is so bad that it profoundly affects how I use this device.

The touchscreen is inaccurate. I find myself pecking around trying to get the thing to recognize what I am trying to touch. Often, I mistakenly touch whatever is next to what I aim for, sending me on an unplanned journey.

The device is S L O W - slow to respond to keyboard input, slow to render web pages, slow to run applications. Lots of latency in everything.

The device lacks adequate processing power to run a video application and send its sound to a connected bluetooth device at the same time. It can do one or the other, but not both without skipping and freezing.

I used to use Evernote on my iPad as a notetaking device in meetings and at conferences. Evernote is available on Android, but using it on this device is a non-starter because of the latency and keyboard response problems.

I think this may have been a nice device when it was released; perhaps the OS and apps we are running in 2013 and 2014 are handing it more than it was designed to accommodate. Whatever the reason though, I cannot recommend this tablet at any price.

2/1/2014 UPDATE: At someone's suggestion, I completely reset the device, wiped all apps and data from it, and returned it to its factory condition. I have noticed some performance improvement - possibly 15% to 20%. At its current level of performance, I improve my review of the tablet by one star and admit that it is a price-acceptable tablet if not exactly a stellar performer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 6:58 AM PST

Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth Speaker, Retail packaging, Diamond Black
Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth Speaker, Retail packaging, Diamond Black
Offered by Brainstorm LLC
Price: $98.99
65 used & new from $42.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but buy it for sound quality and not volume, February 14, 2014
First, let's dispense with the hyperbole. You're not going to set one of these on the floor next to your B&W 801s, turn it on and walk away, and not be able to tell the difference between the two. It's about as loud as you could expect a product with this size box to be, and it's actually pretty easy to bottom out the low end at high volumes. But these are laws of physics.

The product is simply outstanding as a tool to listen to music at a desk, at low to medium volume, when it is in front of you and pointing right at you. In this situation the stereo imaging is spectacular and the depth of field really does sound like it's coming from somewhere other than this little speaker - especially with the "LiveAudio" feature activated, which has to be the only onboard "surround simulation" EQ I've ever tried and actually left on.

The Jawbone's convenience can't be denied. You can carry it around the house, pair it with anything, toss it in a small suitcase before a weekend in the mountains or a business trip, any of that. That's not really a differentiator from any other small bluetooth speaker, but it's no less true.

The speaker's high end is pretty directional. You lose a lot of it very fast if you move away from a direct line of fire from the speaker.

On the whole, this product plus an iPhone is about 50 times better than the "jamboxes" I carried around in the 80s, that had to weigh 30 pounds if they were to sound any good. The problem is that Lloyd Dobler wouldn't look very romantic holding one of these over his head.

Dark Matter
Dark Matter
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars First 75 pages writes a check the rest of the book can't cash., February 4, 2014
This review is from: Dark Matter (Kindle Edition)
I decided to read this book because of the title, and because the summary suggested a kind-of hard sci-fi novel dealing with issues of faster-than-light travel and the possibility of sentient life in the universe. Indeed, the first 75 pages or so seem to approach the story with that goal.

Then the book abandons any aspirations of scientific substance and becomes a space opera with a traditional plot. I was reminded of the 1980 movie "Battle Beyond the Stars," a terrible Star Wars knock off that had beings from multiple planets arbitrarily set against one another.

It bothered me in this book that we humans had been denied knowledge of the true nature of the universe by races of supposedly superior development, who placed a metaphorical veil over our eyes so that we would be unable to see what was really going on out there. Yet, these superior races demonstrated every aspect of immaturity of which they might disapprove in us - racism, political manipulation, use of weapons of mass destruction, and I could go on.

All of this is to say that the story did not cash the check that the first ~75 pages of the book wrote.

That said, my hat is off to S. W. Ahmed, who seems to be writing books like this in his spare time. Would that all of us had so lofty ambition.

Classic Accessories 73922 Veranda Barbecue Grill Cover, Large, 64 Inch
Classic Accessories 73922 Veranda Barbecue Grill Cover, Large, 64 Inch
Offered by BBQ-Parts
Price: $27.99
48 used & new from $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 12-18 Month Service Life, January 27, 2014
This is a beautiful grill cover. Mine lives in direct sunlight and in a 4-season environment. A little more than a year after I began using it, it became brittle and very easy to tear. Soon afterward, a medium intensity hailstorm created dozens (hundreds?) of tiny tears. At this point, at about 18 months of service, it has several large tears and cannot bear any significant strain.

It wasn't expensive and I'm not sure what my service life expectations should be for a product like this in the conditions in which I use it - but this has been my experience. 12-18 months disposable.

Nespresso: Arpeggio, 10 Count
Nespresso: Arpeggio, 10 Count
Offered by Day and Night Coffee
Price: $11.99
18 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's Why You Would Pay This Much, October 21, 2013
Nespresso will only sell capsules in multiples of 50. They will not sell you 10 capsules. Further, Nespresso's flat shipping fee is $6.95 - therefore if you could order ten from them, the shipping cost would equalize the price with this offering assuming you use Prime or some other Amazon free shipping option.

If you do need, or are willing to buy, 50 capsules, the Nespresso website is probably the better option. But if you need only 10, or fewer than 50, this is your best option, and considering shipping costs there is really no markup.

I'm only a casual observer, but it seems like the hate was plentiful on this item, so I thought I would weigh in.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 1:38 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4