Profile for Kaity > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 73

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kaity RSS Feed (Portland, ME USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cosmos Seeds - Peppermint Candy Seeds - Rare Find - Rngardens
Cosmos Seeds - Peppermint Candy Seeds - Rare Find - Rngardens

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money -- Not Peppermint Candy Cosmos, July 3, 2014
I purchased Peppermint Candy Cosmos seeds from RNGardens. They came in a small, clear baggie with a sticker saying the plant's name. I've already complained and gotten my money back since I only received a fraction of the 100 seeds I was supposed to get (I don't recall how many I got but it was around 30 seeds). Amazon handled the refund not RNGardens. So I'm really unhappy with the product to start off with.

I planted the seeds and had a disappointing germination rate (about 50% sprouted). The seedlings grew well and had no issues. They finally bloomed and... aren't the peppermint candy variety. They all turned out to be lightish pink with a darker pink band at the center. I'm very disappointed to have wasted my time and space on these as I've grown similar ones before and was excited to have something new. They are cosmos at least.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sally Hansen Color Frenzy Textured Nail Color ~ Red White & Hue 340 ~ Limited Edition
Offered by Cyber Savings 4 U
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Patriotic Topper, July 3, 2014
Red White & Hue is new to Sally Hansen's Color Frenzy line. The bottle claims it is a textured polish, it definitely isn't (unless they're referring to the 'splatter effect' with this claim but it dries smooth so I wouldn't call it textured). It's got a clear (and somewhat gloopy) base with red, white and blue hexagonal creme glitters. There are small glitters and medium ones of each color. Enough glitter (not a ton) came out with the brush each time that fishing wasn't necessary. The glitters also applied evenly to the nail and didn't need help being placed.

Overall I really liked this topper polish. It could have used more glitter, the bottle makes it look packed. I'll probably use two coats of it next time. I would have really loved an easy one-coater though.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zinnia Zahara Sunburst Flower Seeds - Zinnia Seeds - 50 Seeds - Qualityseeds4less Exclusive

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money -- Not Zahara Sunburst Zinnias, April 30, 2014
I purchased these seeds from Treasures By Lee (had Qualityseeds4less' name on the 'packet') and received a generous amount of seeds. Despite being winter and freezing, I planted several seeds in February indoors and they finally flowered for me. The seeds germinated quickly and at a high success rate, then grew vigorously. Too bad they weren't actually Zahara Sunburst Zinnias. They are zinnias... but they're regular ones in various colors (solid pink etc.) and less than 2 inches in diameter which I would never purchase on purpose. I'm extremely disappointed to have wasted 2 months of my time and indoor gardening space on these.

China Glaze Wish On A Starfish
China Glaze Wish On A Starfish

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Pretty Textured Polish From China Glaze, February 21, 2014
Wish on a Starfish and the other Sea Goddess collection polishes are a vast improvement over China Glaze's other textured polishes that look like popcorn ceiling or like normal polish with odd lumps. I was hesitant in buying this since I've hated every single one of their previous textureds. However, the Sea Goddess collection finally delivers on beautiful, glitter-packed texture polishes.

Wish on a Starfish was very easy to work with; it wasn't gloppy and spread evenly with no effort. I used 2 thin coats of the polish and there was still visible nail line when dry so I would recommend 3 thin coats or a white/colored base. Wish on a Starfish is a gorgeous light pink with lots of gold glitter. It appears salmon in color from a distance which I really liked. I got into late day 2 before I started getting tiny chips. This is typical of how textured polishes wear for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2014 3:47 PM PDT

OPI Holiday 2013 Mariah Carey Nail Lacquer, Kiss Me at Midnight (Liquid Sand)
OPI Holiday 2013 Mariah Carey Nail Lacquer, Kiss Me at Midnight (Liquid Sand)
Offered by Shine Nails
Price: $10.75
3 used & new from $7.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, Sparkly, Cornflower Blue Polish, December 29, 2013
I really love OPI's liquid sand polishes and was excited to see a new shade of blue in the Mariah Carey Winter collection. Kiss Me at Midnight is an absolutely stunning shade. I'd say it's closest to cornflower blue, there's some purple and grey tones to it. The polish is packed with glitter in various sizes ranging from micro to small and medium hexes of the same blue (perhaps a little lighter). Kiss Me at Midnight went on easily in two coats with no fuss and dried quickly. I can typically get to late day two before I start seeing any tiny chips on liquid sand polishes. Kiss Me at Midnight was an oddball. I got a huge chip (1/3 of the paint on a nail) after only a few hours. I haven't gotten any tiny chips (four days later) but I have gotten two more big ones.

Christmas Gift that Keeps Wagging (Dog Tails Book 2)
Christmas Gift that Keeps Wagging (Dog Tails Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Holiday Service Dog Story, November 30, 2013
Rating - 5 Stars: I loved Christmas Gift that Keeps Wagging.

What I'd Want to Know Before Reading:
-Completely stand alone from the previous short story
-Julian's son, Gabe, has epilepsy and the mom walked away years ago
-Two points of view (Julian and Hanna)
-'Clean' romance

Source: I received this book for free from Sharon Kleve (author from the same publisher) in exchange of an honest review.

I love reading stories with single dads for heroes. Christmas Gift that Keeps Wagging's Julian was a joy to read about. I loved his thoughts and interactions with his epileptic son, Gabe. It would be heartwarming in any story but in a holiday read it was especially sweet. Conner did a really nice job with Julian and Gabe too. I did a lot of volunteer work with handicapped children and adults (therapeutic horseback riding) and found her writing regarding those two to be realistic and tasteful but still so much fun to read.

I don't have much real life experience with service dogs but I found I enjoyed this story even more with my background. I understand the power of these animals and felt an immediate connection with the story.

Hanna and Cody were such a wonderful fit for Julian and Gabe. Such a perfect fit yet it never read as fake or 'too perfect'. The relationship did move a little fast but I certainly didn't mind. If I thought reading Julian and Gabe's interactions were heartwarming and adorable... it was nothing compared to some of the other 'pairings'. Watching Gabe play and benefit from Cody put such a big smile on my face. I loved the blossoming relationship between Hanna and Julian (and Gabe) too.

Christmas Gift that Keeps Wagging ended... oh gosh. I cry for during most Disney movies so it doesn't mean much but the end definitely caused a few happy tears.

Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True Series Book 2)
Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pawsitively Heartwarming Story, November 30, 2013
Rating - 4 Stars: I really enjoyed Brenda's Christmas Desire.

-Characters from the previous short story and Corny Myers series
-Multiple points of view (Brenda, John, Corny)
-Parents killed by a drunk driver when she was young
-Plot beyond the romance

Source: I received this book for free from Sharon Kleve in exchange of an honest review.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover Brenda's Christmas Desire and the previous short story in the series, Halo's Wish, shared a cast of characters and 'world'. I hadn't remembered Brenda's name when briefly mentioned in Halo's Wish and had expected the series to just be connected by the holiday theme. I really enjoyed getting to know Brenda and how she and John made the holiday season a special one.

I was a little thrown off by Corny's psychic animal talking ability. It wasn't mentioned, that I recall, in Halo's Wish and I haven't read Corny's series. I had assumed the series was regular ol' contemporary romance. I didn't dislike it but with no real introduction or background... it felt odd to me. There was a fairly large chunk of 'animal talk' too. I liked that Kleve kept it humorous. Both Corny and Pete (ferret) are quite the characters.

I don't often read romances where the heroine and hero are already together (just because I find them to be more rare, not because I don't like them). I enjoyed it and thought it suited a short story well. I appreciated that it gave more time for romance and Brenda's 'growth' since no meeting and build up to a relationship were needed. Brenda and John were adorable together. Their flirting and interactions were well written, sweet and easily established them as a believable (and immensely likable) couple. Adding Daisy, a super sweet puppy, to the mix was a perfect cherry on top!

Brenda's Christmas Desire ended so, so wonderfully. Definitely heartwarming and put me in the holiday spirit.

Halo's Christmas Wish (Dreams Come True Series Book 1)
Halo's Christmas Wish (Dreams Come True Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Heartwarming Holiday Story, November 6, 2013
Rating - 4 Stars: I really enjoyed this short story which I read in the Christmas Romance anthology.

What I'd Want to Know Before Reading:
-No sex (not even fade to black)
-"Clean" romance (I hate this term but I know some people only read these. There was a tiny bit of swearing but nothing more than a low PG-13 movie.)
-No religious overtones
-Dual points of view

As a fan of cozy mysteries I was really excited with Halo's Wish's 'mystery' plot being the catalyst for bring our hero and heroine together. Being animal related made it even better. Halo is undercover at a security firm as a secretary looking for evidence that their kidnapping dogs after a dog show cancelled the contract with them. Rich meets Halo after her boss, the suspect, hits his car. I didn't take to Rich as quickly as I took to Halo which was weird since he's a hunky, sweet veterinarian. He came on way too strong for me, uncomfortable strong not confident strong (he kisses her neck after their first very brief meeting for example).

I'm really glad Halo's Wish made a few relatively large time jumps for a short story. I don't think Kleve's story could have been told as effectively without them and it added to the story rather than hindered it. It also really helped with my view of Rich, which I'm so happy about since I did want to adore him. I also enjoyed that the story was told from both of their points of view as well. Time jumps, multiple points of view and a story outside of the romance... it worked well!

I feel like this short story sacrificed character development with having so much actual plot happening. I wouldn't give up the story line for more character information though which probably would have been necessary as a short story in an anthology (Christmas Romance). I enjoyed Halo and Rich as is and the story was a wonderful surprise.

I love how Halo's Wish ended with big action and a super sweet scene between Halo and Rich. I was a little afraid that there would an unrealistic relationship jump for them since his house is basically her dream home and way of life but it ended perfectly in all aspects.

Christmas Romance (Best Christmas Romances of 2013)
Christmas Romance (Best Christmas Romances of 2013)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming Holiday Romances, November 6, 2013
Rating - 4 Stars: I really enjoyed all of the stories included in Christmas Romance and hope to read something else from each of the authors in the near future.

What I'd Want to Know Before Reading:
-No sex (not even fade to black)
-As far as I found, none of the books are part of a series (Jennifer Conner - Central Bark at Christmas is the first book in the Dog Tales series, however)
-"Clean" romances (I hate this term but I know some people only read these. There was a tiny bit of swearing but nothing more than a low PG-13 movie.)
-No religious overtones

Source: I received this book for free from one of the authors in exchange of an honest review.

My Thoughts:

Danica Winters - Christmas Wishes

It's been a while since I've read about "older" characters. Lee, our heroine, is old enough to have had a 20 year old son. I couldn't connect with her on many of the levels that define her since I'm much younger and just haven't had her life experiences. That said, I thought Winters did a wonderful job writing emotion into such a short story; it made Lee someone I could relate to.

I like the sexy damaged daddy cowboy angle for our hero but I was really stuck on his name, Albert. I often enjoy 'vintage' names for women in books, they can be quirky and unique, but Albert isn't much more than an old man name for me. It sounds silly but I had trouble involving myself in Lee and Albert's romantic relationship. Penny, Albert's daughter, was beyond adorable and I had no trouble with their family relationship. Albert was almost an adorable daddy as Penny was a child.

I really enjoyed how wishes tied the story together. Adorable, adorable, adorable. I would have loved to see more of Lee, Albert and Penny but the moment in time Winters wrote about worked perfectly as a short story. It was a very short moment though, just long enough to see Lee and Albert get the start of second chances.

-Older characters
-Very internalized story (relationships, family and loss (death of a son))
-Solo point of view (Lee)

Jennifer Conner - Central Bark at Christmas

I always want more when it comes to short stories, greedy reader that I am. I'm glad Conner gave a brief look at what had happened to Tennyson in regards to her hurt. It's one thing to say that she's been cheated on by her boyfriend and someone she considered a friend, and it's another to witness her hurt. Seeing the event helped me become emotionally involved in Tennyson's story more deeply.

Par could have been a hideous troll but with his heart of... fur I would have loved him just the same. I don't know what it is about animal people! As soon as I read about someone concerned with an animal's well-being I just want to hug them. Par and Tennyson bond over their dogs at the dog park and work together to find the owner of a Duke who was left there. I loved both characters and I really enjoyed their Christmas tale.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well two points of view worked for Central Bark at Christmas. At first I thought that it was going to diminish how effective the story was since it gives less time with each character but I liked seeing into both Tennyson and Par's minds a lot. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending of the story though! Mobley gets hit by a car (sorry for the spoiler but for those of you like me, it's extremely relevant and not something to be left out of mentioning) and whenever something like that happens in films and books I'm devastated by it. Tennyson and Par's happy ending felt sort of rushed and unreal after that happened. I would have preferred a more fleshed out animal hospital scene and for it to end after we knew Mobley was okay and they had a 'moment'.

-Boyfriend cheats on her with a high school friend
-Indian hero
-Dog gets hit by car

Sharon Kleve - Halo's Wish

I feel like this short story sacrificed character development with having so much actual plot happening, especially after the previous two stories which were extremely character driven. I wouldn't give up the story line for more character information though which probably would have been necessary as a short story in an anthology. I enjoyed Halo and Rich as is and the story was a wonderful surprise.

Casey Dawes - Christmas Hope

Clara and Sam were quite the pair! Clara is adventurous, outgoing, impulsive... She was really interesting to read about especially considering how contrasting Sam was, sort of ominous, secluded etc. Clara sees a woman interviewing a gloomy Sam about his artisan cheese business on TV and decides on a whim to meet him. Sam wants nothing to do with her or her proposal to help his business. Opposites attract, I guess! I really enjoyed their interactions and seeing them together.

I'm not a stickler for grammar or spelling, frankly my own isn't that great, but Clara was misspelled several times which was a little off putting (Carla I found five times). I really enjoyed Dawes writing, it's beautiful. I wish the misspellings had been caught because they were distracting, especially when within the same few paragraphs.

I'm not one for angst, actually I hate angst but I absolutely loved the tension and Sam's darkness and emotional damage in Christmas Hope. It was partially the length of the story keeping the angst short and... sweet but I also think Dawes wrote it in such a palatable way that I wouldn't have minded even in a full length novel. I felt so terrible for Sam and hated to see him lash out at Clara but it only made the ending that much more heartwarming. Ugh, the ending! So perfect and I loved the epilogue too.

-Husband leaves her for his secretary
-Death of a younger sister
-Dual points of view

The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires (Half-Moon Hollow Series)
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires (Half-Moon Hollow Series)
by Molly Harper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and Witty, February 17, 2013
I liked Iris in Driving Mr. Dead and, while I didn't find myself loving her a quickly as I did Miranda from that novella, I came to completely adore her in The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires. Iris was good, humorous, a hard worker and wary of vampires. Her healthy uncertainty and fear of vampires was actually what drew me to her. So often in UF/PNR the heroines are so brave and fearless from the get go that they act stupidly. They insist on being part of fights where they stand no chance, ignore warnings from their paranormal hero etc. Iris wasn't shaking-in-her-boots afraid, she was just cautious, smart, and knew when to run or when she was making a dumb choice. She also knew when risking her own life was worth it though. I loved the relationship between Iris and her sister, Gigi.

""Why would I take an unstable, hungry vampire home with me? Do I look particularly stupid to you?"
He snorted. "No, which is why you should take me home with you. I already know where you live. While you were running to your car, I looked in your purse and memorized your driver's license. Imagine how irritated I would be, how motivated I would be to find you and repay your kindness, after I am well again.""

The storyline for The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires was a great one. I've always been curious regarding the contents of human blood in relation to vampires in fiction and why it isn't used more often. After all, most things end up there in some capacity (alcohol, drugs, sugars etc). I think it's a perfect way to attack vampires and would be interesting to see more of. Of course if I saw it all the time I wouldn't have been as excited to see it here... Anyway I was glad to see Harper's spin on it.

""As best we can tell, the vampires in question all suffered a form of poisoning. The compound is like steroids for vampires, on an exponential level. It brings out the worst of our aggressive, territorial behaviors while enhancing our strength and lowering our inhibitions.""

Cal was a difficult character for me to decide what I thought about. At first I found him to be too similar to Collin from Driving Mr. Dead. They were both haughty, stand-offish, only put up with the heroine because it was their only option etc. To be honest I was really disappointed by this. I absolutely loved how funny Driving Mr. Dead was and I didn't want it to be just a formula for this book too. As the novel progressed Cal started showing his differences though and became his own vampire. He loved to start fights with Iris because he found it amusing, he was calculating, he was a lot more vampire-y to me. Cal had been poisoned by bad blood that made him sick and was unhappily relying on Iris. The vomitous shower scene... loved it! I really enjoyed reading about a sick vampire, enough so that I might need to go hunting down similar books. A sick werewolf or zombie would be great.

""Besides, what happened to `no emotional attachments'?" I asked him pointedly, though I didn't pull away. "I'm just a human, after all."
"I shouldn't have said that." He hesitated. "I find myself ... more attached to you than I previously believed. It's particularly strange considering I've only known you a few days. Perhaps it's like Stockholm syndrome.""

""Hey, what's this?" I asked, pulling a copy from the pile. "The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires. A comprehensive guide to safe, loving treatment of the injured undead."
I flipped through the book and found nutrition guides, feeding schedules, an appendix on skin care after minor sunburns. "This would have been useful a week ago," I muttered.
"Wait, he's injured? Your vampire is injured? Iris, you didn't pick this guy up while he was hitchhiking or something, did you?""

I loved how this book was wrapped up especially the glimpse of the future between Iris and Cal. Overall The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires was an immensely satisfying, fun read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8