Profile for G. Russell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Russell RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Gods Themselves (Nemesis Bantam Spectra Book)
The Gods Themselves (Nemesis Bantam Spectra Book)
by Isaac Asimov
Price: $7.19
115 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift, April 15, 2014
I bought this as a gift for a friend, an Asimov fan. It was said this was Asimov's favorite book. I haven't read it but my friend was thrilled to receive it. A thrilled response is good for a 5 star rating any day.

Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Jokes, Limericks, and Anecdotes
Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Jokes, Limericks, and Anecdotes
by Isaac Asimov
Price: $12.02
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Who laughs last?, April 15, 2014
I bought this book on a whim for an Asimov fan. For all I knew he had every Asimov book he wanted; however, I took a chance.
All things considered, I bought Asimov's favorite book, and the last book he knew was printed, this one.
I admit I read through this book to see what it was about. I shared some jokes with my daughter and she laughed (whoa).
My friend was impressed that I had listened to him when he talked about his interest in Asimov and he had neither book. Yea.So, if you're an Asimov fan, or if you could use a laugh, go ahead, live a little.

Table-Mate II Folding Table
Table-Mate II Folding Table

3.0 out of 5 stars Table-Mate, December 4, 2013
We had some table-mate trays and we needed more. My daughter bought one for me. Totally didn't make the grade. We finally threw it out. Should have sent it back. Maybe they are making them cheaper than the originals. Sad. I had problems with the brace not grabbing and the table was sagging. I will buy another, because they are handy, but they are too expensive to be junk and I won't hesitate to send the next one back if it's defective.

Non Sequitur 2014 Day-to-Day Calendar
Non Sequitur 2014 Day-to-Day Calendar
by Wiley Miller
Edition: Calendar
16 used & new from $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A little early to judge-but what could go wrong?, December 4, 2013
This is to be a gift so I haven't looked at it. It was requested so I assume that means she will like it.

Capresso 501 Cool Grind Coffee Grinder, Black
Capresso 501 Cool Grind Coffee Grinder, Black
Offered by S&D Coffee eStore
2 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a coffee grinder?, December 4, 2013
It took me a long time to decide on a coffee grinder. This item had some bad reviews.I decided to take a chance. I found nothing wrong with it, once you learn how to get the cap off. It works great and was a fair price. Sometime, more often than not, bad reviews can kill a product. Just goes to show we should find some things out for ourselves.

Canon 0307B001 CanoScan LiDE 25 Color Image Scanner
Canon 0307B001 CanoScan LiDE 25 Color Image Scanner
6 used & new from $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Machines- I don't understand them, October 18, 2013
I ordered this scanner because the buttons on mine didn't work anymore. I figured I'd gotten a good 10-12 years out of it so no biggie. I ordered the same model to replace it because I wanted to be sure the new scanner would be compatible with my aging system. Huh. The buttons on this one didn't work either. BOO. I finally got the manual out for the original scanner. My daughter always sets up things for me so I had never paid any attention. I needed it to call the manufacturer to see what the button problem was. I found out that if I clicked on start, then arcsoftphotostudio 5.5, edit, acqire..blah blah blah the scanner worked great. YEA. Who knew? My old scanner probably still works great also-using the computer controls. Maybe there was an undate that happened that made me out of synch. I tried the update website but it was "down for maintenance." So if your buttons don't work, check the manual on how to scan before buying a replacement. Nothing wrong with the seller. I wonder if the buttons worked for him. hmmm Anyway, the scanner is fine. No problems. Loved the price. Now I have TWO.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $18.00
375 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars How the mighty have fallen, October 14, 2013
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
Originally published under a pseudonym, The Casual Vacancy got the response it deserved. No sale. Then J.K. decided to fess up and her loyal readers flocked to the bookstores. It is a good thing I read it as a library book or I would have wanted my money back! My daughter bought the book on tape and didn't finish it.

Why is it when an actor or writer does something spectacular they get afraid of typecasting and go out of their way to do something to undermine their accomplishment? I was offended by the book, plain and simple. If she wanted to prove she could get down in the muck, ok. Proven.

If J.K. is reading this I want to tell her that Harry Potter wasn't a just a series of children's books that made you a lot of money. The stories changed my life in many ways, and I'm not alone. Harry Potter was an entire world you created, which means brilliance is in you. That world drew in people by the millions or billions, who wanted to live in that world, who spent many years reading the books, listening to the books on tape and waiting for the movies, and want MORE. One of these days quiddich will be an Olympic event. You just wait. But heck, we adults can't even buy T-shirts because they are geared to children-for the most part. You think children are the ones spending all that money?

If you don't have any ideas there are or were thousands of fan fiction stories going wasting that I'd have bought as books if possible.

Yes, we have Harry Potter world in Florida and, soon in California YEA. Doesn't that tell you something? It isn't enough to say ok, what's next? There are thousands of stories that could be spun off and made into movies-let a whole new crowd of actors become living legends. Look at the fan base of Serenity, Star Wars, Twin Peaks and Somewhere in Time. Fans refuse to let those worlds die. We looked to you for something magnificent. But no. We got The Casual Vacancy. Please. You can do better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2013 4:24 PM PDT

ROYAL COLLECTION 100% Cotton Jersey Knit QUEEN Sheet Set, SAGE GREEN
ROYAL COLLECTION 100% Cotton Jersey Knit QUEEN Sheet Set, SAGE GREEN
Offered by Dealway
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice sheets, September 24, 2013
I bought these sheets for my daughter because linen sheets were too hot and flannel sheets the same in warm weather. This material was new so what the heck. My daughter likes them very much. I didn't pick "Love it" because that seems a little strong for a set of sheets; however, they have accomplished their purpose so I recommend them.

WILTON 8" White Unscented Pillar UNITY Candle
WILTON 8" White Unscented Pillar UNITY Candle

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a candle, August 29, 2013
I bought this candle primarily because it was unscented. It was also a good size and the price was right. I was not disappointed.

Prepworks from Progressive International CKC-300 Regular and Wide Mouth Canning Funnel
Price: $11.36
10 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think twice. This is THE ONE, August 29, 2013
When I originally purchased this funnel, I thought about buying others, less expensive. There are so many. After using this funnel for the canning season I can safely say this is the best one I could have purchased. Fits regular and wide mouth, is easy to clean, comes in handy for filling baggies as well. Excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5