Profile for L. Pemberton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Pemberton RSS Feed (New York)

Happier Than She's Ever Been...
Happier Than She's Ever Been...

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, October 10, 2013
I fell in love with each of the characters. This courageous writer shares herself on a journey that few are talking about. What happens when you have "everything" and realize that it isn't all it's cracked up to be? The love in the book is so heart-squeezingly beautiful. I'm only sorry I read it so quickly, I miss these people. Really yummy read!

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
by Nan Silver
Price: $9.45
387 used & new from $1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Revive the Tender Sweetness, November 6, 2012
I so enjoyed reading John Gottman's "The Seven Principles for Making
Marriage Work". I was half way through the book when I
realized it's already working! I had been behaving in a more sweet and
tender way with my husband since I'd started reading it. We already have a
lovely relationship but throughout "7 Principles" I noticed my thoughts and
actions were even more gentle and held even greater fondness for my husband
and for our relationship. Gottman takes readers through the early moments
in a marriage, reviving the feelings of falling in love and recharging the
magic of wedding celebrations. On this journey I got to recall the
admiration, respect and fun of being partners in my marriage.
I highly recommend this book to those in great relationships, less than
great relationships and of course, troubled relationships. "7 Principles" can
give you great comfort and joy. Gottman has created a simple roadmap that
leads to a great marriage. Well worth the trip.

Those who enjoy this book will also enjoy Ariel and Shya Kane's latest book:
How to Have A Match Made in Heaven: A Transformational Approach to Dating, Relating, and Marriage. It's terrific. I know I'm
interested in having the best possible marriage and the Kanes illustrate
how easy it can be to have such a relationship. In reading the
touching true stories and accompanying videos, I got to see how
potentially relationship injuring behaviors can dissolve just by observing them
non-judgmentally. Yep, I said it: issues just dissolve. Just by
seeing it. I know.... that simple.

These two books Gottman's The Seven Principles for Making Marriage
Work and the Kanes': How to Have a Match Made in Heaven can rock your
world in a fantastic way! Buy them, read them, have sweet
relationships.

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man Movie Tie-in Edition: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment
by Denene Millner
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't take yourself so seriously!, October 7, 2012
I wanted to read; Act like a Lady Think like a Man out of knowing that Steve Harvey is a wonderful comedian and so much insight comes through looking life from the lighter side. I was not disappointed. I laughed, I learned and my heart opened. He explains that men want to, are trained to and are good at the 3 "P's" when it comes to loving their women. They profess their love; meaning, they tell the world. This is my Lady, my girlfriend, my wife and until they do that know that you are not his. That's the good news...you know where you stand. Second "P": Protect: men will go out of their way to make sure that to the best of their ability the no harm comes to you. No one will talk down to you, nor will they even look like they want to harm you. He takes his job as protector seriously...if not, he's not yours and you are not his. Third "P", a man will Provide for the woman he loves and her/their offspring. He will make sure that all he has goes towards making sure she has what she needs. Even while dating...Ladies, don't rush to pay the check. He feels like a man when he can do this for you whether or not you can do for yourself...maybe even especially if you can do it for yourself. His DNA, according to Harvey and I've seen this in my life a well, providing is his responsibility. If he doesn't feel needed or wanted in any of these 3 "P's" he is not the guy for you nor are you the woman for him. Knowing this, it's easy to move on or to bring a man closer.

I love Harvey's simple and humorous clarity. I wondered if his was a throw back approach and then I realized with his help, women and men are different for a reason. Praise the difference, respect the difference, see the difference...have great relationships. Simple, clear, fun! In conjunction with "Act like a Lady..." which is just pure laugh out loud fun I was reading another superb relationship book by Ariel and Shya Kane called How to Have A Match Made in Heaven: A Transformational Approach to Dating, Relating, and Marriage. They also use clear demonstrations (videos included) of life experiences to ease us into joyful stellar relationships. We can have fun with simply seeing another's perspective. "Awareness" as the Kanes say, "a nonjudgmental seeing of what is" is enough to open us to a world where men and women enjoy each others' unique approaches. Great companions Act like a Lady, Think Like a Man and How to have a Match Made in Heaven, I just have to highly recommend both books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2013 1:56 PM PDT

Living Vegan For Dummies
Living Vegan For Dummies
by Alexandra Jamieson
Price: $14.69
102 used & new from $0.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can live more Vegan!, December 14, 2009
Thanks Alexandra for writing a book on vegan choices that made me laugh, was informative and didn't make me feel like a bad person for the way I had been living. I admit it I was worried a book about veganisim would be preachy. But no, not one sermon! I thought that I was more Vegan curious than thinking of going full on vegan. Then I realized, I didn't really even know what a full on vegan life might look like. Well, I found out there are foods I really enjoy eating and have been eating on a regular basis. I didn't have to be "weird" even to myself to take the healthful options for me, loved ones and the planet. And maybe even most importantly, I enjoyed discovering a new world view. So many surprises, to name a few: fun recipes that I look forward to trying, a great list of cosmetic companies that give me opportunities I hadn't expected to look good while I'm eating good tasty foods. Treat yourself to this wonderful book it's a well written, easy read. Buy it, read it and share it, just for the fun of it!

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Price: $16.81
2063 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boost You've Been Looking For!, July 8, 2009
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I love and have read many, many metaphysical books. I get a lift from
them and I even feel a shift in my life after some. "The Secret" by
Rhonda Byrne is one of those books. It's easy to read and fun. I
found myself laughing out loud and excited to try some of the
exercises. They were fun, too. I'm a little bit of a skeptic too,
which is probably why I waited until after the hubbub died down a bit,
before I read it. I'm so glad that I did. It reminded me of why I
know there is something more and that we can have it, everyday.

Another book,that has that life-affirming lift built in, is Ariel and
Shya Kane's Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life.
Additionally, the Kane's book(s)... Yes,
there are 3... won't leave you worrying that you did your life wrong
before you found and read up. I'm loving life, all of it, happy that
everything I did before this brought me to this moment. The one in
which I can let you know: You can have it all! Get these books, read
them and be supported in having the best possible life. You'll
surpass your dreams. How cool is that!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

How to Create a Magical Relationship: The 3 Simple Ideas that Will Instantaneously Transform Your Love Life
by Ariel and Shya Kane
Price: $11.43
61 used & new from $0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown-up Magic, February 28, 2009
I just read the wonderful How to Create a Magical Relationship by Ariel and Shya Kane. I was reading it on the subway on my way home from work, rush hour in NYC (adding insert - and had no idea how the Kanes words / message would impact me on my walk home). I didn't even think about it until after I was settled into my apartment but I had this great conversation with a neighbor as we walked towards our building. Not that unusual, except that normally I would have looked down and pretended I hadn't seen him. I mean, I was tired, I worked hard, it was the end of a long day, he probably doesn't want to talk to me either. Those are the thoughts that would have been familiar to me - instead I was smiling and chatting easily with my neighbor. It was a simple, fun reaching out that I allowed myself. As the Kanes point out in their book, relating is in the moment. In this moment my neighbor was there, I saw him and didn't pretend that I didn't. Hmmm, relating is just that simple. Cool. I recommend How to Create a Magical Relationship and Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life- read them and show yourself that life and relating can be simple magic.

The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (Oprah's Book Club)
The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (Oprah's Book Club)
by Sidney Poitier
Price: $13.08
1085 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a Man, February 28, 2009
Portrait of a Man by Sidney Portier is a lovely book about an amazing man discovering himself though incredible circumstances. He is, and has always been quite inspiring to me. I was seeing the world through the eyes of someone who consistently went for his dreams even as his dreams got bigger and bigger. I was impressed by his courage. I saw how it helps to have a support system. Mr Portier was able to find encouragement and support in each stage of his life. I can relate to that. I kept wanting to tell him about this other book that I loved, as I loved his life story. This other book: Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life by Ariel and Shya Kane is also quite life-affirming. There is encouragement and support right there in print. From both books I got that being perfectly yourself (rather than being perfect) your own life can be dream-worthy. I recommend both books, highly! Read them for a boost, even if your life is already great. Mr. Portier I hope you read this and the Kanes' book, one good turn deserves another.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: $9.52
3913 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying a Ticket, November 6, 2008
I laughed and loved my way through this wonderful book. Elizabeth Gilbert has written a charming book in three parts: Eat, Pray, Love. You may have heard already but it's a great book. It's fun, easy and inspiring. I found that while I was reading, I was more enthused about my life. It was warm and lovely to experience the lustiness of Italy, the serenity of India and finally the sweetness of loving in Indonesia with this wonderful author. I love books that lift my spirit. I was on the very brink of buying a ticket to some exotic locale on the heels of this treasure. But even better, this is one of those books that invited me to find those joys in my everyday life. I recently read another book that does that lifting the spirit thing, too. It's called Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment [ASIN:1888043180 Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment)] by Ariel and Shya Kane. Enliven yourself, your day and your life by reading both of these books.