Profile for Jeffrey Stanley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey Stanley RSS Feed (Wichita, KS United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Sony HIDC10 Dash Personal Internet Viewer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony HIDC10 Dash Personal Internet Viewer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
15 used & new from $49.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Internet radio alarm clock, and not much else, January 29, 2011
I like the idea of this, but the hardware, software and execution is seriously lacking.

First, what it does well: it's an alarm clock that allows you to wake to internet radio and gives you up to the minute weather. If that sounds awesome, then this is for you! You can set multiple alarms for multiple days or specific days. Some alarms can wake you with internet music, your favorite NPR station (if they have a stream available), or one of several alarm sounds. Alarm volume is adequate, which is important to me because I'm a heavy sleeper and need a loud alarm. Alarm volume is set separately from main volume, but every alarm uses the same alarm volume. It would be nice to wake to quiet music, then have a loud alarm sound 30 min later, but you can't do that with this device; all alarms use the same volume setting. It does not have a battery backup, so it won't be waking you if the power goes out. If the power goes out then comes back on, it does get all of your settings, including current time and alarms, from the cloud. If you packed it and took it along on a trip for use in hotels, I imagine it would go ahead and sync up once it connects to the internet (I haven't tried this).

All of the little apps are pretty useless in my opinion. The little app window that flips through on the main screen shows very little info. The apps are really weak if you are used to an ipod touch or a smartphone. I'm sure I'll be keeping it in permanent "night mode," where it only displays the time. The apps are so ugly, I don't want them flipping through on my nightstand. There is a message on the remote setup screen (which you use on your computer) telling you that they add featured apps automatically in order to pay for your free apps. Essentially, they are going to serve you ads on your alarm clock.

If you want to play the internet radio, you press> snooze button > menu > music > music app you want > station/genre you want. It isn't really easy to just switch on music, especially considering that the device is a bit laggy when loading anything (like after pressing the string of choices listed to get to the 'net radio). Pandora doesn't play in the background, you must leave the app on-screen or it switches off.

Netflix works. I honestly don't see myself watching a movie on it, but I can see that I may watch a 25min TV show on it. The Netflix app just displays your cue, and scrolling through it is a pain. If you have a huge cue or expect to browse Netflix, don't get your hopes up.

The display quality is only fair. Contrast is poor and viewing angle is good. It will automatically dim and brighten with the room lighting, which is important and a nice touch. The touchscreen is not very responsive.

Sound quality is about what you'd expect from any everyday mono clockradio: adequate for low volume listening but pretty bad at high volume.

I got this for a bargain price during a "gold box," so I'm going to keep it. It really is a pretty great advanced alarm clock. Just keep in mind that the features mentioned most in the advertisements are really very overblown.

KR Tools 11759 Pro Series 2-Piece Pull Saw Set
KR Tools 11759 Pro Series 2-Piece Pull Saw Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these!, January 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are the easiest hand saws I have ever owned. I have never used a pull saw until now. I'm not a professional and I'm not sure what specific task these are designed for, but they are great for a general saw to keep in the garage for projects around the house. When cutting PVC pipe, it is much easier to make a square cut than with a hack saw. The cuts are pretty clean and I have found that I make faster cuts than with a comparable normal-toothed saw. I dont get bound up like with a regular saw. I love having the smaller saw because if fits in my toolbox easily.

Great item!

AutoCAD Freestyle [Old Version]
AutoCAD Freestyle [Old Version]

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool, but a bit pricy for nonprofessional use/version, January 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am no archetect, but I do regularly use design layout tools to help rough-plan interior spaces in restaurants.

Normally I use Google sketchup or simply a blank sheet of paper along with a scale and a triangle, depending on how fancy I need the presentation to be.

This is perfect for my needs. It's easy to use, and I really like having a 2D tool to go along with google sketchup's 3D environment.

I received this throgh the "Vine" program free of charge because of my reviewer status. Considering that the software is slightly over $100, I think it's a bit pricey. It's four star software, but the price made me lower my review to three stars.

It's nice very intuitive software, and if you frequently need professional looking 2D scale drawings it's worth the cash. If, like me, you rarely use 2D drawings for more than rough sketches; a scale, pencil, circle template, and a graph notebook are hard to beat. I would also point out that google sketchup is free, and is still my favorite.

Also, I am a Mac user and this software is a bit laggy when running in a Windows XP virtual machine (MacBook Pro, 4gb mem and dual core 2.4ghz, with 2gb and one core dedicated to windows). It runs very well on the same machine running only Windows.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice price, big negative consequences, January 7, 2011
I used these in my new brother printer and was delighted with the savings, until my printer broke down.

It is best to use these only after your printer warranty expires. They void your warranty. My printer is only two months old and I just spent $250 to replace it. Now my Brother printer and remaining cartridges are headed for the waste bin.

An expensive lesson learned.

I can't say that these ink carts caused the printer's failure, it could have been an issue with the printer itself rather than the ink. Regardless of the cause, losing the warranty on a new item does not justify the savings.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2011 6:03 PM PST

Sennheiser MM 400 Stereo Bluetooth Headset (Black) (Old Version)
Sennheiser MM 400 Stereo Bluetooth Headset (Black) (Old Version)
Offered by PlatinumBuys
Price: $164.99
2 used & new from $64.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Game-changing quality as headphones. Poor as a phone headset., December 27, 2010
Below is my original review followed by my long term impressions. I lowered my rating from five to four stars because I have not had success using them as a headset for phone calls.

I am delighted with this item for use as headphones. I bought mine refurbished from a marketplace seller for about 1/3 of the full retail being charged by Amazon at the time. The sound is as good as any cans I own. You will not be disappointed at the audio quality. These should meet even the highest expectations for audio quality. Volume levels are almost the same as listening to my iPod while wired. They don't get super-loud, but they have decent volume and the quality does not diminish at high volumes.

They are quite compact. More compact than I guessed from product photos here and elsewhere. The fit is fairly snug, but not to the point of pinching or being bothersome. They are very light, as light as normal headphones. I was a bit worried that the battery, built in amp, radio, and other gadgetry would weigh them down but they are not noticeably any more heavy than any other portable headphones. The look and apparent build quality is really impressive. I was also a bit worried that they would have a goofy-looking blue or blinking light on them. Thankfully, they do not have any silly lights on them while in use.

Even my refurbs included the 1/8" jumper wire for use with non-Bluetooth hardware, the international charger, the USB cable, the airline adapter, the case, the manual, and the software CD. A very complete package. It's pretty rare to buy an item without need for some overpriced accessory. Sennheiser is all-class for including all of these items with the cans.

The killer feature is Bluetooth. Listening to my music without the headphone cable and hearing quality and detail at this level is astounding. It's as big a step as going from cassettes to an iPod regarding the technilogical "wow" factor. This is the kind of thing that makes you feel like you are living in the future. There is no doubt that we'll all look back at a time when headphones had cables and snicker. The convenience is really incredible.

So far I've used them with my iPod touch, and my iPad. Pairing could not be easier.

A few reviewers mentioned that they experienced audio delay while watching video. Using my iPad, there is zero delay; the audio is perfectly in sync with the video. Perhaps this is a consequence of software on some devices? I'd recommend that anyone having trouble with delayed audio update the software on their computer or phone or device. These have no delay issues with my iPad or iPhone (iOS 4.2 running on both devices).

I need to sell my expensive wired headphones before everyone finds out about these. The future of portable music is here. These are worth every penny. They are a steal at the refurbished price and worth the new price.

Note: someone has added the tag "noise canceling" to this item. The MM400 does not have noise canceling technology. They do isolate some sound, but not as much as full-size closed cans, and definitely not as much as noise canceling headphones. They are on-ear closed non-noise-canceling Bluetooth cans, nothing more.

Edit after over a year of use:

I still use these several times per week. The audio quality is great and it's tough to beat the wireless feature. I really like the fit, comfort, and the ease of use. The controls on the right ear are easy to use and work very well.

I have two complaints.

first, they are not much good as a phone headset. I recently purchased an iPhone. Callers on the other end complain of having difficulty hearing me. The microphone on these headphones pick up a lot of background noise easily. They are even pretty bad in a quiet environment. They are still great headphones and will work in a pinch to pick up a call, but the microphone is not very good.

Second, they only have a 2-3 hour battery life. I have run them completely dead on several occasions. Replacement backup batteries can be found, but the batteries cost over $40.

Third, I wish they were open headphones. These are a wireless version of the PX200. I'd love it if they made a wireless version of the PX100. These block a lot of outside sound which makes them bad for walking on a multi-use (cycling, jogging, walking) path. They are advertised accurately as a closed design, but I just want to share my experience.

I still highly recommend them as headphones, especially for use with iPod touch or iPad. They are great for listening to music around the house. If you are looking for a quality headset for telephone conversations, I'd consider a different model. I am currently shopping for a replacement because I really would like to have a pair of bluetooth cans that work well for making and answering calls.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
32 used & new from $62.95

11,934 of 12,211 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money. Not perfect, but very very good for start to finish novels in good light, August 31, 2010
The Kindle is my first e-ink reader. I own an iPad, an iPhone, and have owned a Windows-based phone in the past that I used as an ereader.

My overall impression of the device is good.

The good:
I'd honestly rather read linear (read from page one to the end, one page at a time) fiction from it than a book, because I can't always get comfortable with a book. Hardcovers are sometimes a bit heavy, and paperbacks don't always lie open easily. The Kindle is incredibly light and thin. I can hold it in one hand easily. The page turn buttons are conveniently located. Page-turns aren't instant, but they're probably quicker than turning a physical page in a printed book (there are just a lot more page-turns unless you choose a small font). The contrast is better than other ereaders I've seen. There is zero eye strain in good light. My eyesight isn't the greatest and I like being able to increase the font size and read without glasses. I love being able to browse the Kindle store and read samples before deciding to purchase. The "experimental" browser is surprisingly usable, but isn't great. It is useful for browsing wikipedia and blogs. The biggest drawback to the browser is the awkward pointer navigation, using the 5-way pad. It syncs your furthest read page over the internet so you can pick up where you left off using your iPhone or iPad.

The so-so:
The kindle store could use more categories and sorting options. You can't sort by "top rated," and there is no category for "alternate histories," for example. Finding a very-specific type of fiction relies on keyword searches, which don't do a great job. The wifi sometimes doesn't connect before it times-out. You rarely need the wifi, but it is annoying if you change a setting, answer "OK" to the prompt to connect, and the thing tells you it failed to connect two seconds later (the exact moment it indicates that it did finally connect, then you need to go back to update the setting again). Most settings don't require a connection, but it is a minor annoyance. Most of your time will be spent reading, and of course your books are stored on the device and a connection is not required. Part of me wishes I'd bought the 3G model, because the browser is good enough that having lifetime free 3G wireless would be worth the extra money. Magazines don't look very good and are not very easy to navigate. There is minor glare in some lighting conditions, mostly when a lamp is positioned behind the reader's head.

The bad:
The contrast is fair to poor in dim light. It is much easier to read a printed page in dim light. In good light, contrast is on par with a pulp paperback. In dim light it feels almost like reading from an old Palm Pilot (resolution is better than an old Palm, but contrast is bad in dim light). The screen is small enough that the frequency of page turns is pretty high. Even in good light, the light gray background is less pleasant than the eggshell background of a printed page. You must tell it to sync before you switch it off, if you expect the feature allowing you to pick up where you left off using other devices to work correctly. The copy protection prevents you from using the files on anything other than Kindle software or devices.

Vs iPad:
IPad is a lot better for magazines, reference materials, and illustrated materials. Kindle is worlds better for reading novels. IPad is pretty heavy, making it more difficult to hold in your hand or carry with you everywhere. Kindle is much more portable and easier to hold. IPad has some amazing children's books and magazines, which take advantage of its multimedia features. IPad is unreadable in sunlight and glare is bad in bright light. Kindle is as good as a printed page in bright light. Ipad serves as a creative tool, a computing tool, a gaming tool, and a communication tool. Kindle is only a novel machine. I don't regret buying either one of them. An iPad won't replace books, but a Kindle can, if the book is text-only.

I highly recommend this device at its new low price if you are a frequent reader of novels. I love my kindle. Just don't expect it to be more than it is. Leave the magazines and such to the tablet computers.
Comment Comments (203) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2013 4:26 PM PST

Cocktail Connie (Jazz Club)
Cocktail Connie (Jazz Club)
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa

16. This Girl's In Love With You/I Say A Little Prayer 3:17
17. Where Did Ev'ryone Go? 4:09
18. The Second Time Around 2:24
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 4:49 PM PST

Apple iPad (First Generation) MC497LL/A Tablet (64GB, Wifi + 3G)
Apple iPad (First Generation) MC497LL/A Tablet (64GB, Wifi + 3G)
Offered by mgiwarehouse
Price: $798.98
111 used & new from $99.90

4.0 out of 5 stars 3-star product, 4-star usefulness, July 11, 2010
Before buying my iPad, I spent about an hour in the Apple store playing with it. I knew I'd get some real use from it, and I knew that it met many of my wants for an ultraportable computer, but the tiny underpowered thing costs almost as much as a macbook!

Obviously, I laid down my credit card and walked out of the store with it. The store is near my office but three hours from my home. I must admit, I had regrets in the three hour drive home. A $900 10" iPod touch? Am I nuts?

After owning and using it for two weeks, I no longer regret the purchase as much, but I still feel that it is overpriced. My model is the 64GB with 3G+Wifi. I spent about $900 including tax to buy it at the Apple store and another ~$60 on "HD" apps including the iWork suite: pages, numbers, and keynote. I do have an iPhone so I already owned a lot of apps that work with the tablet.

I have found myself using it mostly for four things: document viewing for work, email, web browsing, and games.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've been using it for games, but I have played several and really enjoyed them. I'm not a "gamer" at all. I own a Wii that only gets used for watching Netflix movies on my television. Video games are usually boring to me. There are quite a few games designed for adults filled with puzzles and brain teasers that will change your view of computer games. No matter who you are or how adult you think you are: you will wind up using this thing for games. It's too fun to play games on it not to. I recommend Labyrinth 2 HD, Osmos HD, Pinball HD, tChess Lite, and a good Solitare game.

Back to getting work done: it's pretty great for email. I have a work blackberry and a personal iPhone. I get lots of spreadsheet and other document attachments. Blackberry is terrible at displaying documents. Iphone does an OK job. This thing is a desktop replacement as a document viewer. It isn't as good as having MS office on a PC, but you can definitely get a great view of a document with a lot of formatting intact. It isn't really better than iPhone for viewing messages, but viewing attachments on the big screen is worlds better. The only complaint I have about email is that it lacks the ability to thread conversations and show all email inboxes in one list like the ios4 iphone devices. It will have those abilities this fall when it gets upgraded to ios4, but for now switching between inboxes is a bit awkward.

More on document viewing.
The biggest help to me at work is document viewing. I can carry promotional materials, examples of past promotions, old communications, files for reference, presentations, price lists, spec sheets, manuals, photos, trade journals, books, and any other digital document imaginable and access them all easily when with a customer or simply to find info to make me more effective. The iPad does not include a file system like finder or windows explorer. The iWork apps have a documents folder, but those folders are not accessible by other apps. All of the apps include a shortcut to open a document in other apps, but not having a universal finder app is annoying. If you are in mail you can choose to open an attachment in Pages then email any changes back to the person, but it goes against the way we have all become accustomed to working on PCs and Macs. There are file system and viewer apps. I've tried two I like and one that I highly recommend: Goodreader. Goodreader gives you a place to organize your files into folders for various projects and info. It has viewers for office file formats, PDF files, and limited graphics files (sorry, there are no eps, ai, or similar art viewers for ipad that I've discovered yet). Goodreader allows you to transfer files to the ipad via wifi networking, wifi using a web browser on a PC or Mac, using the USB cable, or using itunes. Best thing about Goodreader: it's only one dollar.

The built-in photos app is great. I used my mac to convert a lot of documents to jpgs just so I could use the photos app to view and display them. Integration between the photos app and the iwork apps and mail is great. Syncing albums between a Mac or PC and the Photos app is a snap. The photos app is where the "magical" in the ads comes from. It is a delight to browse images using the app. I'm sure you can find countless youtube videos demonstrating it if you look. For under five dollars, you can buy Photogene or a similar app for useful photo editing on the ipad.

Web browsing is the other "killer app." Lots of people complain that iPad doesn't support flash, but I honestly don't miss it. Most big web sites recognize that you're using an ipad and deliver non-flash versions of videos. My biggest concern is the lack of RAM in the ipad. The lack of RAM shows when web browsing. If you switch between open pages, most of those pages will be reloaded because it doesn't cache much; it can't cache much with only 256mb of ram. As long as switching between pages, and having them reload when doing so isn't a huge issue to you, web browsing on the ipad using Safari is a desktop-like experience. I have just recently started using a third party browser called "Atomic Web." Atomic web adds useful multitouch gestures, tabs, full screen, and adblock to the Safari browser. I highly recommend Atomic Web for the $2 they charge for it. It works great.

The app store lets you add tons of functionality to your machine. Count on spending $50+ depending on what you want to do with your machine. I love the three $10ea iWork apps, the $5 photo editor, the handful of $5-$10 games I own, and the multitude of free periodical reader apps I downloaded.

Watching and listening to media in ipad is really great. The iPod interface looks like an older version of iTunes on a Mac. Video looks great. I've always been a fan of desktop itunes for syncing with ipod and iphone. Ipad is exactly like iphone and ipod when interacting with the desktop. The built in speakers in ipad are louder and sound better than iPhone and iPod touch. They are nearly as loud as the ones on my Macbook Pro 13". The speakers are great for listening to podcasts or watching a movie in bed or in your comfy chair.

Google maps and google earth are a desktop-like experience on ipad.

Battery life is where ipad kicks laptop tail. I easily get 8+ hours from a charge.

Typing on ipad in landscape mode is about like typing on a netbook; you wouldn't want to write a long document on it but it's fine for email and composing short documents and memos. It's a lot better than I expected. Typing in portrait mode is a bit of a chore.

You WILL need to buy a case for it. The "acase" brand ipad case that sells for $26 here at Amazon is a great choice (and the highest rated case on Amazon). You will not be able to find an Apple case for it. Apple cannot meet demand for ipad accessories. The camera connection kit (usb and card reader) are also impossible to find.

I'm glad I bought the largest (64GB) model. I currently only have 25GB free after putting in 20GB of music, 8GB of films, 5GB of apps, and around 2GB of documents. 64 GB is really very ideal, but anything less would be crowded unless you don't plan to use the ipod or video player much.

I bought the 3G service for it and don't regret it. I live in the midwest and ATT has decent service here. I am paying $15/month (no contract) for 256MB. 2GB is available for $25/mo. I bought the cheaper plan because I have frequent access to wifi, but wanted the ability to look at email adn documents on the road if the occasion arises. So far just using 3G for email and very infrequent browsing 256mb is plenty. I highly recommend buying a 3G model unless you are sure that you will always have Wifi access when you use it. It's a lot less useful if you can't connect to the web.

In conclusion, this thing is very useful and very expensive. I use it a lot. I use my PC and my Mac a lot less now. I carry it to places that I wouldn't consider lugging a PC to. It allows me to carry a lot more info and digital files than I ever did before. It makes me more effective and allows me to travel lighter. Is it worth slightly over $1000 after buying a case and apps? I'm still not 100% sure. Do I love it? yes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2010 11:57 AM PDT

Ridgid R82007 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Pocket Drill Driver
Ridgid R82007 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Pocket Drill Driver
2 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for screwdriving and drilling small holes., May 16, 2010
I'm writing this because of the negative reviews. I've owned this tool and used it heavily for over a year with great results.

I replaced a worn out DeWalt NiCad 14 volt with this tool. I bought Rigid because I have had really great reliability with a corded 1/2in hammer drill for about five years.

The 12v lithium battery seems like a miracle. It never seems to run down. You will never run it dead before your backup battery recharges, unless your using it with a huge hole saw or some other absurdity that it isn't designed for. One battery usually lasts all day if you're just installing a bunch of screws with it. I install beverage systems for a living and do a lot of mounting and light drilling.

It is feather-light. It's easy to adjust the speed with the trigger. It's plenty-powerful for any drill bit that will fit the chuck. Battery stays powerful until it's almost completely dead. It has a nifty work light. Batteries recharge quickly and last through most any job.

A few people here have complained that the battery charger indicated that the batteries were bad and failed to charge them. I had this happen once: It didn't take much to determine that it won't charge a battery that is stored in a very-cold environment. I moved the batteries inside and it returned to normal.

Dockers Men's Comfort Cargo D3 Classic Fit Flat Front Pant
Dockers Men's Comfort Cargo D3 Classic Fit Flat Front Pant
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best business-casual / just-casual pants outthere, April 3, 2010
Very nice sturdy fabric, and a very nice look and drape. Not "no iron," but they don't require ironing if you get them out of the drier promptly (better than other flat front casual dockers). Much more professional-looking than typical cargo pants. Waist is slightly flexible, but it's well hidden; they appear to have normal waistband. Room in the seat without looking baggy. This is the best casual khaki design out there. The best summary is that they look sharp without looking too dressy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11