Profile for DL > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DL RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Teach Me (Lightning Tales Book 1)
Teach Me (Lightning Tales Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and romantic, April 25, 2015
4.25 stars

This story is short and sweet with a bit of smexy stirred in.

Nick used to be Alex's high school teacher. Alex awakened the part of Nick that yearned for another man's touch, but Nick wasn't ready to admit to himself, much less the world, that he was gay, and he was certainly not going to cross that line and hit on a student. Seven years later, Nick, still very much in the back of the closet with the scarves and umbrellas, picks up Alex on the side of the road.

Alex, who's has had a rough few years and had to drop out of college following a cancer diagnosis, has just been unceremoniously dumped by his parents.

Nick offers Alex (who is in remission) a place to stay, and the two fall into a very domestic routine. As FRIENDS. Even though each of them lusts after the other.

Mr. Nick Tremantle was, after all, the star of Alex's teenage fantasies.

I loved the age difference between the MCs and slow burn in this story. Alex is broken and discouraged when Nick takes him in, but Nick, who has bad memories and anxiety of his own, gets as much comfort from Alex as Alex gets from him.

Alex teaches Nick to trust and to feel. The men talk and share. They cook together and laugh together. Now if they could only *ahem* GET together.

And they do . . . eventually. The wait is very much worth it, because Alex and Nick's first time is at once hot and tender, spicy but believable.

This is a teacher/student story, but it's also a friends-to-lovers story. It's set in Florida, so the boys are not British. I'm still pouting a little about that.

But who am I fooling, I still adored this novella and can't wait to see where K.C. goes with this series!

The Marrying Kind (Owen & Nathan Book 2)
The Marrying Kind (Owen & Nathan Book 2)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Established couple stories aren't my favorite, but we didn't get enough of Owen and ..., April 21, 2015
If you read The Dating Game, this sequel is a MUST READ. If you didn't read The Dating Game, why not?

Owen and Nathan are going strong two years after their eventful five dates. Owen's friend Simon is marrying his boyfriend Jack, but Owen doesn't think couples need a piece of paper to validate their relationship.

~4.5 stars~

Nathan wants it all with Owen, but he's not willing to push his boyfriend. Then in a sentimental, slightly drunk moment, Owen proposes. Sort of.

Established couple stories aren't my favorite, but we didn't get enough of Owen and Nathan, so I was happy to revisit with them.

I really appreciated that no undue angst was thrown into the story. There is conflict, yes, and Owen says something quite hurtful to Nathan, but that's real life. Couples fight, but if they put each other first, the conflict just makes their relationship stronger.

I enjoyed the side story about Owen's little sister Megan, and Owen's mom is all kinds of awesome, too.

The Marrying Kind made me happy. With her typical blend of wit, humour, and sweetness, Northcote paints a picture of two men very much in love on the cusp of a magical new beginning in their relationship.

Sometimes the road is bumpy, but the best HEAs require a bit of work.

Strictly Personal
Strictly Personal
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 STARS~ My favorite couple of the Personal series celebrate their love on ..., February 19, 2015
This review is from: Strictly Personal (Kindle Edition)
~4.5 STARS~

My favorite couple of the Personal series celebrate their love on Valentine's Day on Canal Street (home of the original Queer as Folk!).

Reading about Ed and Colin in Gay Village, Manchester is nearly as good as being there. Colin spares no expense in making this a trip to remember. How could he not? We all know Ed is the cat's meow.

The trip begins with a visit to a strip club. This usually isn't my cuppa, but these two make everything HAWT. Just go with it. It's SEXY and hella fun.

Unfortunately, an unexpected turn of events threatens to put a damper on the celebration, but Blake (followed by Will) rides in for the rescue, and Colin and Ed refuse to let their long weekend away be ruined.

I absolutely loved this novella. It was steamy, a bit fluffy, a little kinky, and a whole lot romantic. Includes: smexy times in the shower, two extremely horny rugby players, a broken bed, the dinner of a lifetime, and Blake the smart arse.

What a treat: as good as chocolate with none of the guilt!

A Bond of Three
A Bond of Three
Price: $5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars But it's all done with such sweetness, your heart will melt into a puddle of ..., January 26, 2015
This review is from: A Bond of Three (Kindle Edition)
4.5 stars

This story is a high fantasy set in an alternate world with kingdoms and princes. And there is a threesome.

But it's all done with such sweetness, your heart will melt into a puddle of chocolate.

Prince Tanish and Feyar have been lovers for seven years. They cannot declare their bond to the world as Feyar is a Seruan, a sort of courtesan. The Seruani are treated with contempt by the people of Teruna. Tanish knows this is wrong but feels powerless to change it, since his distant father is still king.

Enter Prince Sorran, newly betrothed to Prince Tanish so their two kingdoms can form an alliance.

Tanish is none too thrilled with this development, as he is in love with Feyar, and Feyar is in love with him. Neither man wants to share, but when Tanish's father declares that Feyar must teach Sorran how to please his future husband, things get interesting.

And really SEXY.

Puppies and chocolate aside, this was a damn HAWT read. Feyar is a very good Seruan, and the chemistry between the two (eventually three) men is smoldering and all consuming. Tanish and Feyar feel drawn to Sorran, and they cannot help but welcome him into their bed, and their hearts.

Even though I'm typically wary of ménage à trois stories, the three-way really worked here. It felt right and complete.

There were elements of magic, as Sorran has visions of the future, visions that haunt his dreams. His abilities become more powerful as he joins with Tanish and Feyar.

The book alternates between the three men's POV, which allows us to see their inner thoughts and reactions.

This was not an angsty book. There were moments of tension and danger, but they were resolved fairly painlessly. The focus here is firmly on the relationship between the three men and on the treatment of the Seruani in Teruna.

The ending is a glorious HEA, but there's definitely room for a follow-up (yes, please!). The men find something precious at the end, and how this gift came to be is a mystery.

I loved this story! It was full of symbols, FEELS, passion, gorgeous stable boys, horses, wise advisers, ancient scrolls, centuries-old betrayals, and kisses in a summer storm.

As an added bonus, in Teruna everyone wears robes, so just untie the sash, and voilà!

Hook, Line, & Sinker (Hard Hats Book 2)
Hook, Line, & Sinker (Hard Hats Book 2)
Price: $4.61

4.0 out of 5 stars And I'm happy to report that the book delivers, November 23, 2014
4.5 stars!

The cover sets up an expectation of hawtness. And I'm happy to report that the book delivers. The steam factor is SCORCHING. There's lots of explosive, lightly kinky fun to be had, oh YES.

Blake and Cas were frenemies when they were teens. Blake was cocky, and Cas pushed all his buttons. Almost 20 years later, they become unexpected neighbors and form an uneasy friendship tinged with lust that erupts into unbridled passion.

Blake is toppy, possessive, and growly. Cas is smart and sassy, with a submissive streak.

Their passion becomes something more, much more...until Cas has to leave town for work, and the long separation threatens to destroy their connection.

I loved the alternating POVs here and how the relationship progressed naturally. Blake has a broken leg at the beginning of the story, so it wasn't all smooth sailing.

The guys joke around and hang together. They go to ball games, dinner, and camping. They meet each other's friends. It's not just screwing, although there's plenty of that, don't you worry.

We briefly get to see Aaron and Malachai (from Wood, Screws, & Nails) again, which made my heart feel all squishy.

I absolutely loved Blake's mom (BONUS: Blake's heritage is Polish, and Polish food was featured!), who knew just how to work Blake so he'd toss the stubbornness and go after what he wanted.

The writing was fabulous and flowed effortlessly. I was totally caught up in Blake and Cas's relationship.

However, I ended up liking Blake more than Cas in this story. Blake took all the blame for being jealous, when Cas's behavior at the club was not entirely appropriate. I wanted to kick Cas's arse when he gave poor Blake the silent treatment, even after Blake apologized immediately and repeatedly.

I grudgingly forgave Cas, but I ADORED Blake. The ending went a long way toward soothing my Cas-induced irritation.

What a SWEET and HAPPY ending it was!

I can't wait to read Gavin and Riley's story; I HOPE it's up next!

Nothing Ventured
Nothing Ventured
Price: $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Boys getting dirty; boys getting clean, November 13, 2014
This review is from: Nothing Ventured (Kindle Edition)
This book contains two of my favorite things: sexy (British!) blokes getting it on and fitness!

When the slightly out-of-shape Aiden is manipulated into doing the Mud Macker by his bestie Liv, the silver lining is her gorgeous cousin, Matt, back from Australia, who becomes Aiden's training partner. Reluctant and whiny, Aiden nevertheless wants to please and impress Matt, the "Lycra-clad god."

The two become good mates...who mud wrestle and suck each other off. You know, the USUAL.

I loved all the training/exercise talk. Aiden becomes quite the endorphin junky, and Matt's drive and commitment are all kinds of hot.

The men have explosive chemistry, and Northcote's books, while sweet and romantic, never skimp on the steam. Hallelujah!

Plus, there's something about sweaty, panting men. SO LICKABLE. But I digress...

Aiden is long out of the closet but not looking for a relationship, now or ever. Matt is bi, but keeps his gay side firmly hidden. The friends-to-lovers slow burn was delicious, and the lovin' was RED-HAWT.

I'm not gonna lie: I wanted to throttle Matt once. Or twice. The man was so engulfed in trying to please a ghost, he couldn't see what was right in front of him. And Aiden (our narrator), with his "I don't do relationships," was only marginally better.

It's no secret that I j'adore Jay Northcote's books. They are ALWAYS the right blend of SMEXY and TENDER. The writing is flawless, the banter endearing. The MCs feel REAL.

And they're British. Have I mentioned they're British?

Billionaire with Benefits (Romancelandia Book 2)
Billionaire with Benefits (Romancelandia Book 2)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great second book in the series, November 11, 2014
4.5 stars

Tenino's writing style is so engaging, reading her books never feels like work. By the time I got to the 20 percent mark with this one, I couldn't set it down. While Tierney was not a likable character initially, he was a believable jerk, and as we learn more about his family and he becomes more self-aware, his many "sins" stand out as patterns of self-destruction. Ever so slowly, Tierney grew on me. I saw his defense mechanisms, his insecurities, his fears.

I loved the way Tierney was with Dalton. They had a few issues at the beginning, issues with trust, mostly, and not entirely open communication, but the relationship developed naturally and felt true to life.

Dalton is a relatable, charming character with a nearly unlimited supply of patience. Tierney was lucky to have Dalton as a "friend with benefits," and at first it was all about Tierney and his issues.

But when Dalton needed Tierney, Tierney was there for him, and that was a changing point in their relationship. It took a while for Tierney to truly see himself.

Changing your life around, battling addiction, tearing off the mask you've always worn, takes sweat and tears and WORK, hard work, and this was realistically portrayed in the novel.

Sam's back with his hilarious banter and romance novel talk. Ian's here too! These two added some lightness to what was a more serious story than Too Stupid to Live. (This book overlaps with the end of the first book.)

There was a side plot related to the bashing (which happens at the end of book 1 and beginning of this book). The slight mystery element added mild tension to the plot. I'm not sure it was necessary, but thankfully it didn't sink into melodrama.

The steam was understated, but the first scene with Tierney and Dalton was quite moving. The awkwardness of Tierney's first time, the way he wanted, NEEDED, to trust, his insecurities about his body, were very well done.

The epilogue was quite lovely too. I am looking forward to book 3 and, hopefully, Miller's story.

Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent Fasting
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on this garbage, February 4, 2013
I'm convinced the other reviewers are friends of the author (or perhaps the author himself using various user names?), because how else to explain them giving this "book" 4 or 5 stars. This isn't a book as much as it is a leaflet, a collection of thoughts, not backed up by research, hastily thrown together. There are no footnotes or end notes, and the actual "diet" portion doesn't start until 70 percent in (and even then it's one or two sentences); that's right, there is no actual plan, nothing concrete that you can utilize.

The writing is rife with grammatical and punctuation mistakes, and full of inconsistencies. For example, at one point the author touts fasting as an ultimate solution, but a few chapters later he calls fasting for longer than 12 hours "extreme" and "dangerous." He spends a few pages criticizing other diets without providing any real information regarding the reasons.

This is so poorly written and disorganized as to be almost unreadable. You will find more relevant, and certainly better written information on the leangains.com website for free. I returned mine for a refund.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 1:41 PM PST

Roku XD 2050, 720p Streaming Player
Roku XD 2050, 720p Streaming Player
15 used & new from $34.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but flawed with a few bugs, October 27, 2010
Updated 11/5/2011
A full year of Roku use, and my review stands at 2, maybe 2.5 stars. The Roku IS easy to use, BUT it has some serious flaw, the biggest of which is that it freezes often when we switch from cable mode to to the Roku. We either get a green screen or the Roku screen saver, and we have to unplug the Roku and plug it back in. At the beginning, this would happen maybe once a week. Now, it happens MOST of the time. Also, every time we switch from cable to Roku, it changes the picture size from widescreen where we have it set at to the default, which means without setting it all shows would only show small in the center of the screen.

Honestly, for the money, Roku was worth it. We've gotten a year's use out of it. It's small and compact, and my kids can use it alone. BUT it's basically obsolete technology. All new TVs are now being made with wi-fi and streaming capabilities built in, so a "middle man" like Roku won't be necessary in the next year or so.

Updated 11/21/2010
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to revise my original review. We loved the Roku while it was working (my 4 year old streamed kid movies from Netflix by herself), but one day it just stopped working. We still aren't sure if it was the receiver or the remote control, but either way Roku wasn't responding to the buttons we were pressing on the remote; we couldn't access Netflix at all. We would push one arrow button, and Roku would scroll through 10 screens like it was possessed. This was a huge bummer because, like I said, it was great while it lasted. We shipped it back for an exchange (that's why we order via Amazon - they have an awesome return policy). Let's hope this was a fluke and the second receiver holds up better.
******
We bought the Roku to stream movies to our TV via Netflix. Roku arrived yesterday (SUPER fast shipping - it arrived three days after we placed the order!). It was much harder to set up our wireless connection than it was to set up the Roku. I am not super gadget savvy, and I did it by myself in less than 10 minutes. The HDMI cable I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so I just used the old-school composite cables Roku came with, and both the sound and picture quality are great. Roku is tiny and very easy to use. We're happy with our purchase and would recommend. If you want to stream movies but have no need for a Playstation or Wii, this is the way to go.

The Kitchen House: A Novel
The Kitchen House: A Novel
by Kathleen Grissom
Price: $10.82
498 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Soap opera in the guise of a historical novel, July 29, 2010
I love historical fiction; I really do. I was excited to read this book, but it was drudgery from beginning to end. I am still puzzled that so many people gave this book a five-star rating. This book is terribly written, with flat, undeveloped characters, absurd plot twists (rape! murder! lies! intrigue! incest! child abuse!), and unbelievable resolutions which feel like another vehicle to speed along the very predictable, very drawn out, but paper-thin plot. This novel is supposedly set in the late 18th century, but there is little in the book that shapes the time or place; some of the dialogue feels like it's right out of a soap opera. Too much happens; too much of it is negative; there are too many tragedies. None of the politics of the time (after all, the Revolutionary War just occurred) are mentioned. There is little that moors the reader in the historical period of the time. And, oh, yes, let's not forget the sloppy ending, which is supposed to resonate with bittersweet optimism but actually had me laughing out loud at its absurdity. I skimmed the last 30 or so pages because I just wanted to have this book done with. A huge thumbs down from me.
Comment Comments (37) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 7:39 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4