Profile for GenXmom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 98

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

GenXmom RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Naptime Is the New Happy Hour: And Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down
by Stefanie Wilder-Taylor
Price: $13.10
223 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic, sometimes funny, mostly tiresome, April 28, 2008
Was it hilarious to me? No.

And I'm going to further preface this review by clearly stating the obvious: this review is my opinion, and I'm allowed to have one.

Some of the author's anecdotes and humorous spins were funny, made me smile and giggle, but nothing was outright hilarious or made me split my sides in laughter. Furthermore, the majority of this book consists of formulaic humor that relies on hyperbolic comparisons, overblown metaphors, facile dishing on and putdowns of pop culture celebrities, putdowns of other moms, and snarky, abrasive comments which did not reveal any particularly brilliant insight. Here's an example of the type of humor that became tiresome to me: "Stick a two-month-old in a swing for two hours and they're as happy as Paula Abdul in an all-night pharmacy, but try taking a three-year-old to the park and getting them to enjoy a swing for more than twenty seconds." *Snoozeville*

I didn't appreciate the author's tone much either. I don't think it's funny to call other moms "bizzotch" (e.g. p. 64). Much of the humor came from a negative place, and I wasn't entertained by that as the other glowing reviews led me to believe I would be. Some of the author's "inner voice" comments were pretty spiteful and didn't help me understand her point of view or encourage me to keep reading although I did manage to read this book all the way to the end.

This kind of "humor" doesn't appeal to me -- I love to laugh and bellow at funny things -- and as such I would recommend this book only to moms who get a kick out of snarky, disdainful, and judgmental observational humor and "analysis." I was rather disappointed by this book when I wanted to like it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2010 5:51 AM PST

Galt Folding Trampoline
Galt Folding Trampoline
Price: $71.83
8 used & new from $55.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Jumperoo upgrade sans bells and whistles, April 22, 2008
This review is from: Galt Folding Trampoline (Toy)
I bought this trampoline for my son who loves bouncing on the sofa and beds, and before I finished assembly, he started to hover over it and tried to climb all over it. He knew what it was for.

Assembly took 15 minutes. The hard part was the anorexic instructions that consisted of images on a sheet of paper, not actual directions -- was my manual missing? Getting the bungee cord taut was also harder without another person, but I did it myself by bracing my legs against the frame's legs and pulling the cord back toward me. Be careful: you may get rope burn on your palms if you pull too fast.

So far my son loves jumping on this thing, and although it is a one-trick pony, it satisfies the need to jump while providing a good cardio-vascular release. It also teaches balance and gross motor coordination. Although my son has not tipped the trampoline up and over yet, I believe that teaching him to jump straight will curb tippyness instead of letting him jump at an angle into the handle. I agree that a spring-loaded trampoline would work better for jumping, but I'm actually glad that the bungee reduces altitude for young tots. When my son is older, he can graduate to a "real" trampoline. And I must say that I am right there to supervise and catch him.

I also agree with other reviewers that the price is high, but you need to weigh that in relation to your inclement weather and kids' being trapped indoors with not much explosive-exercise opportunities to channel their high energy. With multikid households, the price doesn't seem all that steep -- remember what you paid for a Jumperoo and Exersaucer? And I bet one can find another etailer that offers a much lower price.

I will definitely update this review in the near future to reflect ongoing use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2011 8:06 PM PST

The Secret Lives of Toddlers : A Parent's Guide to the Wonderful, Terrible, Fascinating Behavior of Children Ag
by Jana Murphy
12 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-read overview of behaviors, April 12, 2008
For a book that costs about $14 and covers 52 behaviors in toddlers, you can't go wrong. For other behaviors you will encounter during your toddler's stage, you can extrapolate. I think Jana Murphy's choices are great, and the questions are nicely organized in logical chapters. While some readers criticize this book for being lightweight, I think that it's just the right amount of reading for those of us who have no time for reading anymore.

What is also convenient about this book is that Jana Murphy gives you a little "now that you know" at the end of the behavior Q&A and tips on how to handle potential problems. This is a practical little book with no frills, and I think the author accomplishes her goal.

If you are looking for a "deep" toddler psychology or a textbook fit for a graduate seminar on toddlers, then you need to get Socioemotional Development in the Toddler Years: Transitions and Transformations (August 2007), a $55 tome that you can pore over.

What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
by Lise Eliot
Price: $14.64
275 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating account of how we all develop, April 2, 2008
If there ever were a textbook on your baby-preschooler's formative years, this is it. Lise Eliot's book is a fascinating walk through all the major areas of development, and it's dense, informative, and chock-full of biology for inquistive parents or parents-to-be. Although such a hefty book may seem daunting, I highly, highly recommend it; it's definitely worth reading. You will reach the end with a very broad yet detailed understanding of what's happening to your child, and you will feel amazed at how such a little being can achieve so much in a few short years.

I think every parent-to-be should have this book!

The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Good Behavior Without Whining, Tantrums, and Tears: Foreword by Tim Seldin (Pantley)
by Elizabeth Pantley
Price: $13.11
220 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to counseling without paying for it, March 30, 2008
I have just finished 90% of this book, and it is a really useful and practical guide that a parent can put to use immediately. It's easy to read in one sitting; it's focused; and it's full of tips -- all of these are important to parents like me who have little time to read. Hats off to Pantley. She's combined the best of Pocket Parent/Toddler 411-type books with her "best of" parenting advice, all written in a helpful, understanding tone that encourages you and never patronizes like Parenting with Love & Logic does.

Here's a little gem from the book: "Remove the emotion and analysis that clutters up your head and try to see daily situations for what they really are. Then look for a solution. A spilled glass of milk isn't a sign your child is clumsy, careless, or irresponsible; it's just a spill. It calls for a sponge." This is exactly the kind of no-nonsense parenting advice that people need, and this is why parents should give this book a try. It's the kind of truthful and blunt talk that a shrink or counselor would give you, and this is a much less costly option than seeing a professional parenting coach.

In regard to discipline books, I've read half a dozen lately, and this book is one of the better ones. I would definitely recommend this one to any parent who is trying to find a better approach to these "emotion in motion" kids. And READ the chapter on parental anger. Learn the S techniques to calm down and stay calm.

The Emotional Life of the Toddler
The Emotional Life of the Toddler
by Alicia F. Lieberman
Price: $11.03
195 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars long on psychology, short on practicality, March 30, 2008
The Emotional Life of a Toddler is a good book for you if you're interested in the attachment theory or attachment parenting viewpoint of toddler psychology, and this book does read like a psychology text. It offers some insight into the whys, which will help you understand your toddler as a whirlwind of emotion and contradiction; however, the book does not offer any hows for living day-to-day with your tot. Therefore, if you are looking for practical advice and tips, skip this book and head to Toddler 411, Pocket Parent, No Cry Discipline Solution, or the dozen of other books that address toddler behavior.

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
by Eric Weiner
252 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Definite pageturner for mom with limited time, February 21, 2008
I'm a full-time mom with very little free time to read, and it takes me forever to finish a book, but this one is a gem, and I have trouble putting it down. I was inspired to get this book because I am a mom and have so often heard the cliché "I just want my kids to be happy" without much parental examination of its exact meaning. I think every parent should read this book. It's entertaining and thoughtful, and I feel as though it will help me in years to come.

Fisher-Price Fun-2-Learn Learning DJ
Fisher-Price Fun-2-Learn Learning DJ
8 used & new from $48.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality may be an issue, January 28, 2008
You can try toys like this one in the store, so you can judge for yourself if the sound quality is all right or not good enough. I didn't have an issue with the sound at first, but some of the instrument selections on the right such as brass aren't as good as percussion, and you'll find that the do-re-mis are poorly articulated depending on the selected instrument.

The numbers do go up to 15, and the entire alphabet is present, but you must push the arrow buttons to get them all. That wasn't specifically explained in the manual.

The microphone/karaoke feature is negligeable, so don't buy this DJ for this feature.

The cuteness factor is there, but the novelty will wear off.

The music isn't as catchy as it could be overall.

The target age group is entirely off. The real age group for this DJ is 18 months to 3 years, not 2 to 6 as the box states.

Prince Lionheart Wheely Bug, Bee, Large
Prince Lionheart Wheely Bug, Bee, Large
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $69.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey Bee Is A Fun Ride, January 18, 2008
Do not let the age label fool you. The large size is fine for tall little ones and not just for the 3-5 age group.

The good: Wheely Bee turns in all directions, so it's much less frustrating for a toddler to escape from a corner or tight spot. The design is so simple yet elegant and attractive; it's retro and modern. It's lightweight! Although the description says 6lb., it feels less than 5lb. in your hand, and you can haul this ride-on easily in your car to take to the park. Other tots will be instantly curious and attracted to it, so beware for whomever is riding it. It's pretty sturdy: I rode on it, and I am above the 50lb. limit.

The bad: It's easy to slip off the back (beware!). The casters aren't suited for rough or uneven outdoor surfaces. The price is a little high compared to other ride-ons.

The ugly: none.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Anolon Advanced Nonstick Hard-Anodized Aluminum 8-Piece Cookware Set
Anolon Advanced Nonstick Hard-Anodized Aluminum 8-Piece Cookware Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Analon again for me; I'm a believer!, January 13, 2008
I have had Meyer Corp.'s Circulon cookware for years and also Anolon Titanium skillets for almost as long, and I decided to replace my Circulon set with this. I've been using the pots and pans for a few weeks now, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would buy this product line from Meyer Corp. again and again. My only problem is with the wording "8-piece." I personally do not think of lids as separate pieces. Even so, this "five-piece set with lids" is worth more than the surprisingly low Amazon price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10