Profile for Exchronos > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Exchronos RSS Feed (Canton, OH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Cobalt
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Cobalt
Price: $99.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 8 GB isn't enough!, November 29, 2014
Why would anybody need 3 Kindle Fires?

Yes, I have three of them, and I bought an 8 GB (but only lets you manipulate about 5 GB of space) Kindle Fire HD 6 that just arrived today and it's my third one.

Buying the 8 GB version was a mistake it seems, and I'd recommend the getting the 16 GB version instead. Why? Because after putting on only minimal apps I'm only left with over 2 GB to create stuff, from pictures to scans to text documents. That's with no videos, no music, no games, and only 3 books on it. I added a calculator, printer app, Polaris Office, MP3 recorder, Thesaurus, a translator app, the scanner app, file explorer, task manager, adobe reader, Skype, a QR code reader, and after those I have 2.11 GB left. The three books were the Bible, Books of Enoch, and the US Constitution with the Declaration Of Independence. I even had to uninstall the dictionary app I downloaded from my cloud just to get space!

In fairness, I did add pictures and PDF documents which accounts for 247.33 MB photos and 363.36 MB for the PDFs. Though I find the amount of space I have left sorely lacking.

Yet why did I buy a third Kindle Fire?

Because this newest version has the rear facing camera so it's easier to take pictures and use the device as a scanner for stuff I write in regular notebooks by hand.

Now, I realized an 8 GB device would be limited, and I didn't plan on downloading movies, TV shows, comics, or games onto the device, this was purely going to be a no distractions productivity and camera device.

Yet reference books I've bought such as an Encyclopedia of Mythology take up too much space on the device, and without free space you can't take as many photos (like my cell phone) or create as many text documents. Sure, there's the cloud, but the cloud doesn't help if you're not near Wi-Fi.

So it's definitely going to keep me focused because there's not enough room for the dictionary let alone solitaire or "Guardians Of The Galaxy".

So, I'm glad I still have my first two Kindles. My first Kindle Fire has the HDMI port, and it was the 32 GB device, the biggest storage of its generation that was 7 inches. When I got my Kindle Fire HDX with 64 GB though a few apps would only work on my previous generation Kindle Fire.

The thing was, I had quickly outgrown 32 GB. If you start buying digital comics, which are mostly trades, they are very big files. I had 9 GB music, 8 GB books, and videos and apps filled out the rest. I don't download all the videos I buy, but my favorite movies or episodes I like to have handy. With the 64 GB Kindle Fire I haven't hit critical space yet, but I've figured out how to manage between the two. Most comics and few videos are on the 32 GB one and it has about 2 GB free, and the 64 GB one has about 15 GB free for more growth in downloaded or created materials.

I knew the 8 GB device wouldn't have as much space, but I didn't realize it didn't have enough for basic apps and space to create documents and photos.

My other two Kindles are great multimedia devices, but it's easy to get distracted when you can play Pac-Man or watch videos, and listen to music (a lot of my music isn't in the cloud, bought before the Amazon era of MP3 downloads but I can still put the ripped CD music as MP3s onto a Kindle), but this device although clearing me of distractions is still just a bit inadequate.

I should've gotten the 16 GB instead!

Office Calculator Pro
Office Calculator Pro
Price: $2.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost The Best, November 14, 2014
This review is from: Office Calculator Pro (App)
I've gotten a lot of calculator apps as free apps of the day, and I can assure you that not all calculators are equal.

This is my first tape calculator though, and what impressed me was its ability to work with very large numbers, which this is only the second calculator app that can do that.

Now, what makes it nice is the tape function but it can be better. How? Add the ability to export the tape to text files or by e-mail. That way you can save the calculations for later review or even printing out if you want to keep a record of it with other non-digital files.

Adding that capability would make this the best of the best calculator apps out there. I mean, what good is virtual tape if you can't save it?

NeoCal Advanced Calculator
NeoCal Advanced Calculator
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best calculator for big numbers!, September 20, 2014
This review is from: NeoCal Advanced Calculator (App)
I originally got this as a free app of the day awhile back, and I figured I'd just keep getting all the free calculators even if they were redundant.

I was perfectly happy using a different calculator pro app than this until I needed to do some calculations dealing with millions, billions, and higher.

Out of several different calculator apps this was the only one that worked with such high numbers without reducing it to a short hand I remember learning about in high school but forget how to expand it and write out the actual number.

With this calculator it works in horizontal mode so the numbers can be long but still visible to write the whole number down, no added math required!

I never would've figured out in what year BC the dinosaurs went extinct without it!

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two (2014-) #7 (Injustice Year Two (2014- ))
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two (2014-) #7 (Injustice Year Two (2014- ))
Offered by DC Comics
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Tale, April 8, 2014
For those of us who know the story of Sinestro this chapter may seem redundant, but it definitely serves a purpose. It allows us to hear his side of the story and demonstrates the parallels between his past and Superman's present. It also shows a stark contrast in how far Hal Jordan has fallen during "Injustice", from having taken down Sinestro a Green Lantern turned world conqueror to supporting Superman's very similar agenda. This chapter is literally showing us that Superman can become a mirror of Sinestro. Bigger things may be on the horizon, and this chapter is food for thought!

Justice League: War
Justice League: War
DVD
Price: $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge Mistakes, February 6, 2014
Spoilers ahead.

Well, I just rented this from Amazon Instant Video and I was disappointed with the film.

Sure, the animation is great, but if you're going to base a film off a comic storyline you might want to be faithful to the material. Initially trading Aquaman for Captain Marvel didn't phase me, but as soon as he said "Shazam" and didn't change back into Billy Batson it lost all credibility whatsoever.

Also, they tried to have kid friendly moments but overall this is not a kid friendly film. Superman kills, and even the killings of Parademons can't be justified because each one was a kidnapped victim of Darkseid's that there may have been a way to cure.

Of all the direct to video films DC has done this was the worst. It is entertaining but even a fan with little knowledge about the characters would be appalled by the lack of faithfulness to their representations, even for the New 52 versions.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 7:05 PM PST

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox [Blu-ray]
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Price: $17.81
47 used & new from $8.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Read The Comics First, July 31, 2013
SPOILERS! Also, this is NOT a kid friendly movie!

First off, I want to say that I was very hyped for this film. I prefer DC alternate reality stories, and it was "Flashpoint" that got me back into reading comics on a regular basis.

So, why am I only giving this two stars? Because if I hadn't read the comics at first, I would've had no clue what was going on by just watching the film. I mean, there really doesn't seem to be any transition from the Old DC Universe to the Flashpoint Universe, the way it's edited really seems like a plot hole. It does effectively convey that we learn what's happened alongside the Flash, but it really seems like a scene was skipped there, it goes from normal to him waking up at his desk at work and everything's changed! Although, in hindsight I guess revealing how the alternate universe occurs pretty much tells the end of the film, but maybe that montage of changed events playing over him sleeping at the desk would've been less awkward in the story telling aspect.

About mid-way into the film we get a montage of sorts of the changes in events that led to the current state of the Flashpoint Universe but it just comes out of nowhere telling us what happened to Superman, Batman, and Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Really, I believe the film could have been edited better to make it easier to follow as a story rather than a jumble that I was really only able to make sense of because I had read the entire comics series.

That being said, they made a lot of changes to the story from the comics as well. Now please understand that I do understand that they need to make some changes for cinematic purposes, but they completely changed the reason why the Amazons VS Atlanteans War was started! In the film the reason is Mera tries to kill Wonder Woman for sleeping with Aquaman and then Wonder Woman kills Queen Mera of Atlantis thus starting the war. In the comics Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to marry as a political wedding combining Themyscira and Atlantis, but a conspiracy from both sides decides to destroy the wedding by framing Garth (the original Aqualad) as the assassin of Queen Hippolyta, Wonder Woman's mother. Wonder Woman kills Mera much later on though in the comics. Now, to me, that's a huge change from the source material. Other things are trivial like Abin Sur still being dead but Hal not being the Green Lantern (in the comics Hal wasn't the Green Lantern because Abin Sur was still alive and helping Cyborg), or Captain Atom being there (in the comics Captain Nathaniel Adams never became Captain Atom, and the Atlantean Destruction machine was powered by Geo-Force), and they never really mentioned that "Citizen Cold" is a hero, except for having him there as a hologram. We never really got to see Martha Wayne as the Joker, and they dropped Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos, Element Lady, and some other characters.

I'll admit, the comics series itself was very expansive and surprisingly they did touch on a lot of the characters. I was surprised by their working in Deathstroke and the Resistance.

If you've read the comics then this film is a cool companion film to watch. I think the sequencing of some of the film could've been handled a lot better so it'd flow better as a movie, and it could've been a bit more faithful to the comics.

I think what it really comes down to is that you can't tell that expansive of a story and do it justice in 90 minutes. I mean, "The Dark Knight Returns" they broke down into two films but comics wise was less issues than what it they did for "Flashpoint".

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2013 7:27 PM PDT

Wreck It Ralph (Game)
Wreck It Ralph (Game)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Game, it's A Game Guide, April 4, 2013
I was on here looking for the app for the actual game. This page is VERY misleading because it states you can play the game now for a limited time.

I did wonder why this was in books and not games, but figured they mislabeled it by accident.

Thankfully I'm an Amazon Prime member and didn't pay for this, because when it lets you borrow it all this actually is, is only a game guide to the console games based on the movie.

Disney did release a "Wreck-It Ralph" app with three games in it including the "Fic It Felix JR" game, but it's not available for Kindle Fire despite being available for Android on Google or through iTunes.

Smoke Gets In Your Eye
Smoke Gets In Your Eye
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Smoke Gets In Your Eye (MP3 Music)
First off, I'll admit I did not buy this. I found it looking for versions of "Blue Moon".

I'm writing this review to inform any unsuspecting buyers that this CD is not a completely Platters CD. The version of "Blue Moon" listed here is the version by the Marcels, and "Sea Of Love" is the version by Phil Phillips. They both sound like the original recordings, but neither song was done by the Platters...or if the Platters ever did record them, it's not their version on this album! Take a preview listen for yourself to hear what I mean.

The Wizard Of Oz: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
The Wizard Of Oz: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Original From The Movie!, February 1, 2013
Now, let me explain this...I had already bought the Soundtrack to the "Wizard Of Oz", but "Over The Rainbow" just didn't sound like the version from the film.

So, one trip over to Wikipedia later I found out that when the soundtrack had been released they switched the film version with the single that Judy Garland did in the studio. That version starts with more instrumentation and is 2 minutes and 47 seconds long.

I took a shot in the dark buying this version off this album because it sounded right. THIS IS THE FILM VERSION!

It's complete with the intro dialogue, sounds of the birds and farm, EVERYTHING!

This is the best version of "Over The Rainbow" to have (other than the Punk Cover by Me First And The Gimme Gimmes) because it is the DEFINITIVE version!

Collections for Kindle Fire HD
Collections for Kindle Fire HD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Full Words Tend To Help, December 14, 2012
Ok, so I bought this after reading there were fixes thinking everything would be alright...WRONG!

First off, a guide or instructions on how to use it would be nice.

Then once you do use it, when I try to add a category ONLY EVERY OTHER LETTER OF WORDS APPEAR!

For instance, "Horror Classics" becomes "H R O C A S C". Yet you can clearly see categories like "All Books" or "Uncategorized".

This seriously fails in being organizational.

Exchronos
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 5:36 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3