Profile for Mike Powers > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 208

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Powers "mkp51" RSS Feed (Woolwich, ME USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hawaii Five-0: Season 1
Hawaii Five-0: Season 1
DVD ~ Alex O'Loughlin
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $19.61
26 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawaii Five-0, Season 1: NOT your Daddy’s Hawaii Five-O!, October 3, 2014
This review is from: Hawaii Five-0: Season 1 (DVD)
On September 20, 2010, exactly 42 years to the day that the original “Hawaii Five-O” TV show premiered, an all-new version of “Hawaii Five-0” (note the number zero replaces the letter "O" in the title) premiered on CBS. I had been waiting in somewhat less than eager anticipation for that inaugural episode. I say "less than eager anticipation" because I've developed a healthy skepticism over the years for the quality of TV shows and movies that are remakes of older, "classic" shows. I've found that remakes have usually proven themselves to be poor and ultimately unsuccessful imitators of their forebears, and I figured this remake of “Hawaii Five-O” would probably be no different. As the "all-new" “Hawaii Five-0” began, I was all set to give it a begrudging benefit of the doubt... but not much more.

As it turned out, the "rebooted" “Hawaii Five-0” is a most worthy successor to its venerable forerunner! The new version is based on Leonard Freeman's original concept, and the "reboot" retains many links to the old show. The story still centers on a four-person special team of investigators under the leadership of Steve McGarrett, (now played by Alex O'Loughlin). As in the previous show, McGarrett is a former Navy SEAL who's been hired by Hawaii's governor to tackle the toughest and most high-profile criminal cases in Hawaii "with no strings attached." McGarrett is once again ably assisted by Danny Williams, Chin Ho Kelly, and Kona "Kono" Kalakaua. Together, these four make up the new "Five-0" special investigations unit of the Hawaii State Police.

All four of the lead characters in “Hawaii Five-0” are much more fully developed and complex than were the characters in the original show. Steve McGarrett is now the son of Jack McGarrett, a former Honolulu police officer who is murdered by terrorists. Danny Williams (played by Scott Caan) is a transplanted New Jersey cop who follows his remarried ex-wife and young daughter to Hawaii so that he can maintain a close relationship with his daughter. Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim, formerly of "Lost") now has a past to live down; and Kona "Kono" Kalakaua (Grace Park) is now a beautiful young female rookie cop who's also a champion surfer.

From the outset, Season 1 of this show made one thing abundantly clear: this ain't your daddy's “Hawaii Five-O!” In fact, it is much better in many respects. For one thing, the acting is uniformly superb. The new Steve McGarrett is no longer the straight-laced, buttoned-down "top cop" with perfectly coiffed hair and an immaculately tailored suit. Instead, he's a modern day "action hero," dressed in cargo pants, pullover shirts, and athletic shoes, who has plenty of "attitude" to spare. There's an especially strong chemistry that's readily apparent between Alex O'Laughlin's "Steve McGarrett" and Scott Caan's "Danny Williams." These characters' relationship can best be described as a contentious "bromance," with many of the same humorous overtones that exist between Agents Tony DiNozzo and Tim McGee on NCIS. The scripts are marvelously written; most often they are a near-perfect combination of character-driven crime drama with generous dollops of technology-driven police procedural thrown in for good measure.

The original “Hawaii Five-O” is still a great police drama, even though it has not aged particularly well. (It's been overtaken by four decades' worth of changes in American culture and technology.) The new “Hawaii Five-0,” now entering its fifth season on CBS, takes the very best that its predecessor had to offer - an original concept, excellent story lines, and Hawaii's magnificent scenery - and transforms them all into a 21st century viewing delight. Highly recommended!

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $94.40
69 used & new from $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku 3 Streaming Video Player: An essential - and inexpensive - addition to our entertainment center., October 3, 2014
My wife and I are seriously considering “cutting the cable” (or, more accurately, satellite link, since our TV programming provider is a satellite company). While working on this decision, we decided to give streaming video a trial run, in an effort to determine if it will be an acceptable alternative to the increasingly expensive satellite TV.

Our streaming video player of choice, based primarily on hundreds of reviews here at Amazon, is the Roku 3. It certainly has met – and exceeded – every expectation we had for it! It was easy to set up; it is absolutely flawless in its performance; and it provides countless hours of TV entertainment at a fraction of the cost!

In fact, there are so many programming choices available on the hundreds of channels available on Roku 3, we found it imperative to narrow our choices to a manageable number of channels. Of course, Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime lead the way for us, followed by Netflix, Vudu, Hulu+, and about 20 others. But it’s nice to know there are many, many other channels available when we want them.

We haven’t made a form decision to cancel our satellite TV subscription… yet. We still have a while before we can say “good-bye” to our satellite TV provider without paying its exorbitant early termination fee. However, if – and when – we do make that decision, we are ready. Our Roku 3 is now connected, and is providing the majority of our TV viewing every day. Highly recommended!

Chess King 4 Deep with Houdini 4 Chess Software (New for 2014)
Chess King 4 Deep with Houdini 4 Chess Software (New for 2014)
Offered by CHESSQUEEN INC. DBA CHESS KING
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess King 4 Deep: An excellent chess trainer, and a most challenging opponent., October 3, 2014
I am a distinctly average chess player who's been looking for a modern chess software package that will provide me with the tools I need to improve my game, as well as serve as a worthy chess opponent. Over the years, I've tried several of the major chess engine/GUI combinations available for download, but I've usually found them very frustrating to use because they don't really help me learn how to play the game better, and I almost always lose to them - and lose badly - in only a few moves...

Then I discovered Chess King 4 Deep, an excellent all-around chess software package that fulfills my needs better than any program I've ever used before. Here is a chess app that contains the Houdini 4 chess engine - one of the top-rated engines on the market today - and a host of other features that make learning and playing computer chess a pleasure for me.

I've played several "rated" games against the Houdini 4 chess engine, which can be set at varying difficulty levels ranging from USCF rating of 800 (beginner) to approximately 2,800 (grandmaster). To date, I and have not been able to win a game versus Houdini at any level.

I've also played against Chess King 4 in "fun mode," where the Houdini chess engine is not active. In this mode, I've actually managed to win a few games, but I still find the program a mighty challenge to beat!

I have especially enjoyed playing the large variety of chess puzzles included with the application. These puzzles are a very helpful learning aid for me. They vary in difficulty level from beginning to grandmaster. Thus far, I am still working on chess basics.

Chess King 4 works very well on my Windows 8.1-based laptop. The program is quick to load, very responsive, and has shown no compatibility issues with the operating system.

I have two (very minor) gripes with Chess King 4: 1.) I wish they had made the chess board and pieces a bit larger. Even on my 15.6-inch laptop display, the board and pieces seem a bit small, cramped, and can be difficult for me to see. 2.) It would be nice if Chess King 4 allowed users to choose a different chess font than the pre-installed Merida. I much prefer the simpler, more attractive Alpha chess font.

Since I purchased Chess King 4 Deep a few months ago, I have found my interest in chess greatly renewed. This excellent program has provided me with hours of challenging fun, and has definitely helped me improve my game. Highly recommended.

OEM Motorola HF5X Standard Battery for Motorola Photon 4G
OEM Motorola HF5X Standard Battery for Motorola Photon 4G
Offered by Seller1ON1
Price: $5.07
36 used & new from $0.38

4.0 out of 5 stars OEM replacement battery for Motorola Photon/Electrify works very well, December 25, 2013
After eighteen months of daily charging and discharging, under pretty demanding conditions, the original battery in my trusty Motorola Electrify smartphone decided it just couldn't take it any more... . one morning a couple of weeks ago, it refused to hold a charge. (Motorola Electrify is the U.S. Cellular name for the Motorola Photon 4G smartphone.)

I was quite surprised to find replacement HF5X batteries for the Electrify/Photon phone for sale at Amazon, and for a rock-bottom price! These are brand new batteries... not refurbished! Bottom line: the new battery holds its charge very well, giving me a full day of using my phone without the need for recharging.

The battery is good and the price at Amazon is (as always) right. Highly recommended.

New England Patriots Hologram Key Ring
New England Patriots Hologram Key Ring
Offered by Mad Market
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality key ring makes a perfect gift for any Patriots fan, December 25, 2013
I bought this Patriots hologram key ring for my son, who is a die-hard New England Patriots fan. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the product. The Patriots logo hologram is very attractive, and the key ring, as a whole, seems very well constructed. My son certainly appreciated receiving it as a Christmas "stocking stuffer." Highly recommended for any Patriots fan!

7 Little Words
7 Little Words
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting, challenging, and just plain fun!, December 25, 2013
This review is from: 7 Little Words (App)
I love word games, and I found "7 Little Words" courtesy of my daughter, who plays it constantly. Here's a word game that I find completely addicting, very challenging, great fun to play.

The game consists of a series of word puzzles for you to solve. , At the top of each puzzle's screen, you are given seven clues; at the bottom of the screen are five rows of four tiles, each tile containing two or three letters on them. Your challenge is to put the tiles together in the screen's center box in order to form words that match the clues. You do this by dragging and dropping the tiles into the box in a correct sequence. When a word matching any of the seven clues is formed, the matching clue is highlighted.

The game is simple in its concept, and yet quite challenging. Puzzles become more difficult as you progress. It's important to note that there are no time limits to solve the puzzles, and there is no scoring. The challenge is simply to build correct words with the tiles at your own pace. If you get stuck, you can request a clue (a limited number of which are free; after that you pay a nominal charge for unlimited clues.)

"7 Little Words" is a superb app for word game addicts who get a bit tired at times of crossword-style games. It's a great way to build your vocabulary while relaxing and having fun. Highly recommended!

For Boston: From Worst to First, the Improbable Dream Season of the 2013 Red Sox
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent chronicle of the Boston Red Sox 2013 "Improbable Dream" season..., December 20, 2013
For those of us Boston Red Sox fans who are still enjoying the warm glow of our team's victory in the 2013 World Series, "For Boston" is an excellent chronicle of the Red Sox journey not only through the World Series, but the entire 2013 baseball season as well. The superbly written articles chronicle the heartache of the Boston Marathon bombing; the team's inspiring response to the bombing; and the relentless pursuit of "redemption" after the disastrous 2012 season.

Each article is accompanied by several brilliant photos that showcase the team's many players: David Ortiz. Dustin Pedroia, and Jacoby Ellsbury, the grizzled "veterans," each with at least one World Series ring to their name; and the relative newcomers like Mike Napoli, Jonny Gomes, Daniel Nava, and Koji Uehara, Stephen Drew, and rookie Xander Bogaerts, all of whom contributed mightily to the team's winning chemistry with their personalities as well as their superb baseball skills.

"For Boston" is an excellent chronicle of the Boston Red Sox 2013 "Improbable Dream" season. Read and enjoy!

Black / Brown Samsung Galaxy S4 Wallet Case; Best Design with Coolest Premium [PU/Faux Leather] with Stand Feature and Magnetic Flap Closure; Functional Fashion Slim Wallet Case Cover for Galaxy S4 (Release Date); Supports Samsung S4 Devices From Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile
Offered by Cellto USA
Price: $6.29
6 used & new from $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a disappointment., December 20, 2013
...The Cellto Samsung Galaxy S4 Premium Wallet Case simply is not a "premium" product, at least as far as I understand the word. It fails in two key areas: first, it is decidedly below average in build quality, containing, as it does, thin and cheap materials; and second: it gives little or no evidence of being capable of protecting my Galaxy S4 from the potential bumps, bruises, and scrapes that most smartphones are exposed to on a daily basis.

The Galaxy S4 smartphone is a top-of-the-line, very expensive electronic device that deserves to be housed in a case that can protect it when needed. There are many other cases on the market that will do a far better job than this one from Cellto. Not recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 10:53 PM PST

Netflix
Netflix
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Netflix app doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD..., December 20, 2013
This review is from: Netflix (App)
I recently renewed my subscription to Netflix, this time opting for streaming video instead of Blu-ray discs and DVDs. I purchased the Netflix app on my Kindle Fire HD, hoping to find a few movies and TV series that I couldn't find through Amazon Instant Video.

The Netflix app is a complete bust on the Kindle Fire HD. When I play any movie, I can hear the audio portion; but there is no video presentation at all... only a black screen. I can find no way to make adjustments to get the video to display properly.

The Netflix app does work better on my other Android devices, but I still regularly experience video and audio sync problems, stuttering video, and audio that randomly cuts out for a few seconds at a time.

Netflix seriously needs to fix this very buggy app if it wants to build the trust of its customers. Meanwhile, I'm back watching many excellent videos on my Kindle Fire HD, using the Amazon Streaming Video feature (which always works flawlessly, by the way...)

Lucius D. Clay: An American Life
Lucius D. Clay: An American Life
by Jean Edward Smith
64 used & new from $1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biography..., December 20, 2013
U.S. Army General Lucius D. Clay was one of the quiet, unsung heroes of World War II and the immediate postwar era. He was not a battlefield commander; instead, he was a logistics wizard whose his job was to provide the tools for all American battlefield commanders to use in fighting the war. In this endeavor he was highly successful. When the war ended, Clay became the military governor of occupied Germany.

I had never heard of Clay until I read Jean Edward Smith's excellent biography of the man. Published in 1990, "Lucius D. Clay: An American Life" is a fascinating, highly readable and obviously well-researched portrait of Clay. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20