Profile for Mike Powers > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 205

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Powers "mkp51" RSS Feed (Woolwich, ME USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OEM Motorola HF5X Standard Battery for Motorola Photon 4G
OEM Motorola HF5X Standard Battery for Motorola Photon 4G
Offered by Cellular Fantastico
Price: $5.98
30 used & new from $0.63

4.0 out of 5 stars OEM replacement battery for Motorola Photon/Electrify works very well, December 25, 2013
After eighteen months of daily charging and discharging, under pretty demanding conditions, the original battery in my trusty Motorola Electrify smartphone decided it just couldn't take it any more... . one morning a couple of weeks ago, it refused to hold a charge. (Motorola Electrify is the U.S. Cellular name for the Motorola Photon 4G smartphone.)

I was quite surprised to find replacement HF5X batteries for the Electrify/Photon phone for sale at Amazon, and for a rock-bottom price! These are brand new batteries... not refurbished! Bottom line: the new battery holds its charge very well, giving me a full day of using my phone without the need for recharging.

The battery is good and the price at Amazon is (as always) right. Highly recommended.

New England Patriots Hologram Key Ring
New England Patriots Hologram Key Ring
Offered by Mad Market
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality key ring makes a perfect gift for any Patriots fan, December 25, 2013
I bought this Patriots hologram key ring for my son, who is a die-hard New England Patriots fan. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the product. The Patriots logo hologram is very attractive, and the key ring, as a whole, seems very well constructed. My son certainly appreciated receiving it as a Christmas "stocking stuffer." Highly recommended for any Patriots fan!

7 Little Words
7 Little Words
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting, challenging, and just plain fun!, December 25, 2013
This review is from: 7 Little Words (App)
I love word games, and I found "7 Little Words" courtesy of my daughter, who plays it constantly. Here's a word game that I find completely addicting, very challenging, great fun to play.

The game consists of a series of word puzzles for you to solve. , At the top of each puzzle's screen, you are given seven clues; at the bottom of the screen are five rows of four tiles, each tile containing two or three letters on them. Your challenge is to put the tiles together in the screen's center box in order to form words that match the clues. You do this by dragging and dropping the tiles into the box in a correct sequence. When a word matching any of the seven clues is formed, the matching clue is highlighted.

The game is simple in its concept, and yet quite challenging. Puzzles become more difficult as you progress. It's important to note that there are no time limits to solve the puzzles, and there is no scoring. The challenge is simply to build correct words with the tiles at your own pace. If you get stuck, you can request a clue (a limited number of which are free; after that you pay a nominal charge for unlimited clues.)

"7 Little Words" is a superb app for word game addicts who get a bit tired at times of crossword-style games. It's a great way to build your vocabulary while relaxing and having fun. Highly recommended!

For Boston: From Worst to First, the Improbable Dream Season of the 2013 Red Sox
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent chronicle of the Boston Red Sox 2013 "Improbable Dream" season..., December 20, 2013
For those of us Boston Red Sox fans who are still enjoying the warm glow of our team's victory in the 2013 World Series, "For Boston" is an excellent chronicle of the Red Sox journey not only through the World Series, but the entire 2013 baseball season as well. The superbly written articles chronicle the heartache of the Boston Marathon bombing; the team's inspiring response to the bombing; and the relentless pursuit of "redemption" after the disastrous 2012 season.

Each article is accompanied by several brilliant photos that showcase the team's many players: David Ortiz. Dustin Pedroia, and Jacoby Ellsbury, the grizzled "veterans," each with at least one World Series ring to their name; and the relative newcomers like Mike Napoli, Jonny Gomes, Daniel Nava, and Koji Uehara, Stephen Drew, and rookie Xander Bogaerts, all of whom contributed mightily to the team's winning chemistry with their personalities as well as their superb baseball skills.

"For Boston" is an excellent chronicle of the Boston Red Sox 2013 "Improbable Dream" season. Read and enjoy!

Black / Brown Samsung Galaxy S4 Wallet Case; Best Design with Coolest Premium [PU/Faux Leather] with Stand Feature and Magnetic Flap Closure; Functional Fashion Slim Wallet Case Cover for Galaxy S4 (Release Date); Supports Samsung S4 Devices From Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile
Offered by Cellto USA
Price: $6.29
6 used & new from $3.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a disappointment., December 20, 2013
...The Cellto Samsung Galaxy S4 Premium Wallet Case simply is not a "premium" product, at least as far as I understand the word. It fails in two key areas: first, it is decidedly below average in build quality, containing, as it does, thin and cheap materials; and second: it gives little or no evidence of being capable of protecting my Galaxy S4 from the potential bumps, bruises, and scrapes that most smartphones are exposed to on a daily basis.

The Galaxy S4 smartphone is a top-of-the-line, very expensive electronic device that deserves to be housed in a case that can protect it when needed. There are many other cases on the market that will do a far better job than this one from Cellto. Not recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 10:53 PM PST

Netflix
Netflix
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Netflix app doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD..., December 20, 2013
This review is from: Netflix (App)
I recently renewed my subscription to Netflix, this time opting for streaming video instead of Blu-ray discs and DVDs. I purchased the Netflix app on my Kindle Fire HD, hoping to find a few movies and TV series that I couldn't find through Amazon Instant Video.

The Netflix app is a complete bust on the Kindle Fire HD. When I play any movie, I can hear the audio portion; but there is no video presentation at all... only a black screen. I can find no way to make adjustments to get the video to display properly.

The Netflix app does work better on my other Android devices, but I still regularly experience video and audio sync problems, stuttering video, and audio that randomly cuts out for a few seconds at a time.

Netflix seriously needs to fix this very buggy app if it wants to build the trust of its customers. Meanwhile, I'm back watching many excellent videos on my Kindle Fire HD, using the Amazon Streaming Video feature (which always works flawlessly, by the way...)

Lucius D. Clay: An American Life
Lucius D. Clay: An American Life
by Jean Edward Smith
62 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biography..., December 20, 2013
U.S. Army General Lucius D. Clay was one of the quiet, unsung heroes of World War II and the immediate postwar era. He was not a battlefield commander; instead, he was a logistics wizard whose his job was to provide the tools for all American battlefield commanders to use in fighting the war. In this endeavor he was highly successful. When the war ended, Clay became the military governor of occupied Germany.

I had never heard of Clay until I read Jean Edward Smith's excellent biography of the man. Published in 1990, "Lucius D. Clay: An American Life" is a fascinating, highly readable and obviously well-researched portrait of Clay. Highly recommended!

2013 World Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
2013 World Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Boston Red Sox: 2013 World Series Champions
Price: $57.59
21 used & new from $29.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Experience the 2013 Red Sox "Improbable Dream" in Glorious High Definition, December 8, 2013
Last week, I received my Blu-Ray version copy of the 2013 World Series Collector's Edition (CE) on Blu-ray, which was released on December 3 by Lionsgate Films and A&E Networks. (I also own DVD versions of the World Series CEs of the 2004 and 2007 Fall Classics.) To say the least, I am very pleased with my most recent purchase.

The Blu-Ray version of the 2013 World Series CE is, in a word, excellent! All six of the games between the eventual World Series champion Boston Red Sox and the National League champion St. Louis Cardinals are shown in all their full, 720p high definition video and DTS-HD Master Audio splendor. To my untrained eyes and ears, the video and audion quality of each disc actually exceeds what I experienced when watching the games' live broadcasts.

One very noticeable improvement in the 2013 World Series CE over its 2004 and 2007 predecessors (besides the obvious vast improvements in video and audio quality) is that the editors appear to have been much more careful in how they cut extraneous material from the live broadcasts in order to fit the games on the discs. In the 2004 and 2007 DVD CEs, cuts and splices were made much more haphazardly, in a manner that gave each game a chopped-up feel with little natural flow. The 2013 CE permits viewers to experience each game with almost none of the "choppiness" that was so apparent in previous CEs.

The 2013 World Series CE isn't quite perfect, however. The discs' interactive menu, although visually very appealing, is a bit difficult to get going at first. When I first tried to watch a game, I couldn't get the menu to work; I thought I had a set of defective discs each of which would only show three advertisements and a montage of World Series film clips, before a "dead" menu popped up. Almost by accident, I discovered the trick to making the interactive menu work: you have to play completely through the video montage, and not bypass it with the "Skip" button on your Blu-Ray player remote. Then the menu will work fine.

My other gripe is the number of League Championship Series (LCS) games included in the 2013 World Series CE. For some reason, editors only chose one LCS playoff game for inclusion in the set: Game 6 of the ALCS, which includes Shane Victorino's now-famous game-winning grand slam home run. This begs the question: why not also include, at the very minimum, ALCS Game 2, with David Ortiz's even more famous game-tying grand slam homer? Or, better yet, why not include all six ALCS games? I certainly would have paid for such a set, as would many other people as well.

Despite these minor complaints, the 2013 World Series Collector's Edition is very well produced, and an essential addition to my Blu-Ray collection. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 7:04 AM PST

Solitaire Champion
Solitaire Champion

5.0 out of 5 stars Klondike Solitaire... with a twist!, August 11, 2013
This review is from: Solitaire Champion (App)
Ever since I got my very first computer way back in the 1990s, I’ve been a bit of a solitaire addict, and Klondike Solitaire has been the mainstay of my solitaire addiction. I can spend hours on end passing time playing this venerable game.

There are probably thousands of versions of Klondike Solitaire available for all kinds of devices, and “Solitaire Champion” from Crimson Pine Software certainly ranks as one of the best. This Android-based app is an outstanding take on a great game! Like its cousin “Yukon Solitaire Champion,” It provides silky-smooth game play... with a twist. Instead of just telling you when you've exhausted all moves, the game allows you to accumulate points and “reshuffle cards,” thereby extending the game for as long as you can keep finding moves. Beware, though! As game levels increase, so do the game's difficulty levels.

“Solitaire Champion” has good, but not great graphics. This particular version is free and supported with ads (which are not too obtrusive.) Despite its very minor flaws, this is very entertaining game that satisfies my solitaire addiction. Highly recommended!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 11:11 AM PDT

Cambridge SoundWorks Speaker MC55 Cube for Center, Front, Rear, Surround, and Stereo
Offered by The OontZ Designed and Engineered by Cambridge SoundWorks
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Speakers Pack a Big Punch!, August 11, 2013
I recently purchased a pair of Cambridge Soundworks (CS) MC55 satellite speakers to augment my aging 5.1 Home Theater System (HTS). I had had previous positive experiences with Cambridge Soundworks products, which have always provided me with superb quality at an affordable price. So, these speakers were my first choice.

It turns out they were my best choice as well! The CS MC55 satellite speakers are of perfect size and shape for my entertainment center. I am currently using them as my front-left and front-right satellites; they look great and sound even better! As with all CS products I've ever used, they are ruggedly built with very high-quality materials. These little 4.5-by-4.5-by 5.5 inch cubes pack a huge sonic wallop in my TV room! The sound emanating from them is crisp, clear, very realistic, and completely immersive, especially when playing movies on my Blu-ray player. They fit in perfectly with the rest of my HTS's existing speakers.

I like these speakers so much that I eventually plan to buy s second pair to serve as my HTS's rear satellites. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20