Profile for Andrea Coventry > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 219

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrea Coventry RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Trivia Crack
Trivia Crack
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and addictive, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Trivia Crack (App)
I am enjoying it for the most part. Many of the questions seem really easy, and then you get nailed on a tricky one. I do like exercising my brain!

Falling Star (A Jersey Girl Novel Book 1)
Falling Star (A Jersey Girl Novel Book 1)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars for this celeb romance!, November 3, 2014
There are so many books out right now about "normal" people finding romance with big name celebrities, yet I find myself diving into them again and again. Don't we all have that fantasy from time to time? It's even more unlikely that finding that true soulmate, but it is fun to dream.

I like Lainey because I can relate to many parts of her personality. She has been through hell, yet manages to keep picking herself up and moving forward. She is working in a job that may not be her top choice for career, but it is working for now. She is strong and beautiful, yet finds herself feeling self-conscious and unaware of all of her amazing gifts. It's one thing for her girlfriends to tell her how wonderful she is, and something completely different for a new hottie to do the same. She also wants to trust people and expects people to be trustworthy. I also see a lot of the author in this character, from the bits I have gathered from reading all of her books.

Drew is understandably tired of the Hollywood life. He doesn't fit into the phony side of LA and misses leading a "normal" life. He also seeks true happiness in romance. I don't like that he lies to Lainey for so long, especially when he has his chance time and time again to tell her the truth. Yet, I want to forgive him at the same time, because he is so wonderful.

As often happens with authors, each subsequent book of hers gets better and better. I have been a fan of DeLuca's since I read her musicals series. I see growth in her character and plot development and descriptions of places and situations. In this book, I felt even more drawn into the story and didn't want to put down the Kindle. It flowed well and was a great escape for a few hours. It's also a slightly different path for her to take, and one that I am looking forward to continuing to read as the series continues.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The Perfect Boyfriend (Boyfriend Book Book 2)
The Perfect Boyfriend (Boyfriend Book Book 2)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Like an extended epilogue to the first book in the series, August 22, 2014
This one felt more like an extended epilogue to the first book. Where the first one ended, we could have pretty much figured out where the story was going to go. Although, this book does throw a couple of twists at Reagan and Ian, to further test their love and devotion to each other. Again, Reagan is dealing with a lot of understandable trust issues. Her relationship with Ian is still too fresh and new, so I understand her caution to a point. Once you have been burned, it is very difficult to dive into love again. As for Ian's side of what happened, when you are dealing with your father having a terminal illness, you do have a tendency to muck up other areas of your personal life as you come to terms with everything and figure out how to balance it.

Reagan does find some strength during this book, which I was glad to see. I did feel like certain aspects of their relationship moved too fast, but it is what readers would want to see.

This book didn't jump around with point-of-view as much as the first book did, which was nice. It did a couple of times, especially toward the end, which I thought took away from a special surprise. I think I would have preferred to have discovered that at the same time as Reagan.

This one was another fast read that passed time on a summer evening. I do see the potential for a third installment as Reagan prepares for the next chapter of her life, but it isn't necessary. I would also recommend reading the first book, to give you some better insight into what is going on. The prologue of this book is actually the final chapter of the last one, which gives you some hints. I think you would like this one better if you first read its prequel.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend Book Book 1)
The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend Book Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was sweet, August 22, 2014
Many of us can relate to Reagan's quest to find the perfect man. We all have a list, whether it is merely in our heads or actually written out. And how many times has the right person been right in front of our faces and we didn't realize it?

Reagan has a lot of understandable insecurities when it comes to dating men. I wouldn't necessarily call her spring break relationship a tragic one, but it is a painful one. Getting involved with a reputed playboy takes a lot of trust and faith. Ian seems like a good guy, though. He would be worth taking the plunge.

I thought the story was a sweet one. The biggest problem I had when reading it was on occasion the narrator's point-of-view would abruptly shift from Reagan to either Ian or Petra, often within the same scene. The majority of the book focuses on Reagan's POV. It should either all be hers, or else shift to someone else at a more natural breaking point or else be done consistently throughout. Otherwise, I did like this fast read, and on sale it was definitely a bargain.

There did seem to be a couple of issues with the formatting in my purchased copy. On occasion the font changed or was suddenly underlined for extended periods of time. It doesn't detract from the story, but is worth trying to fix for an update!

Plantation Nation
Plantation Nation
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical fiction for older/middle grade through adult, August 18, 2014
This review is from: Plantation Nation (Kindle Edition)
The story of a girl disguising herself as a man to enter the army to fight for what she believes in is not a new one. It has been done time and time again. This one, for me, was a different story. This one is about a Southern girl who is against slavery, so she goes to the North to fight. Instead of regularly seeing combat, she is placed in the hospital, which probably better fits her disposition and skills. Emma learns a lot about herself and her true beliefs as the conflict evolves around her. She discovers the harsh truth about why people are really fighting. She learns how to find an inner strength she doesn't know that she had. Her faith in both God and people is tested time and time again.

What I really liked about this book is how the author wove in the historical facts, without skipping a beat in her story telling. I have long been a fan of the Civil War, but don't have all of my facts memorized anymore. I felt like it was a pretty accurate portrayal of what really happened back then.

I enjoyed the story, itself. For the most part, it felt believable. Sometimes I had a question as to how little things could have really happened, but it wasn't so burning that I couldn't continue to read the book. It's an historical fiction that is interesting and worth reading. I think that even though it is written in the young adult genre, older elementary and middle grade readers could also enjoy it, as it isn't overly graphic. Of course, it is interesting for adults, as well.

Batter Up
Batter Up
Price: $3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 *s for this tasty treat!, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Batter Up (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! I love the concept of a simple spell revealing the name of one's future wife in a bowl of batter. I love a dash of paranormal in a romance, without it overpowering. I love books about people who work in bakeries or as chefs. Toss in a dash of comedic relief, and you have the recipe for a sweet romance designed for savoring on a summer afternoon.

I also loved that it took place in a small town in Upstate NY, named after one of my favorite hiking spots!

Emma is strong with just enough stubbornness and plenty of self-reliance. She is guarded with her heart and with her secret craft. Jason has been looking for a change in his life and aches to right some wrongs from his past. Both of them are harboring secrets that are keeping them from looking for their own happily ever after, not realizing that the answer to their hopes is right in front of them. As in any good romance, they have their ups and downs. Some moments may be predictable, but who cares? A well-written tale is worth it. And this one, my friends, is a fun one. I want more!

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review.

Tic Talk: Living with Tourette Syndrome: A 9-Year Old Boy's Story in His Own Words
by Dylan Peters
Price: $12.96
75 used & new from $8.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for kids, August 13, 2014
Tic Talk: Living with Tourette Syndrome: A 9-year-old boy's story in his own words was written by Dylan Peters. At the age of 4, he developed tics, in which his head would would violently jerk. After a myriad of tests and observation, Dylan was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome.

In addition to the head jerking, Dylan's other tics include clearing his throat, making a gurgling sound, and double-blinking his eyes. Medication helps relieve the tics, but he will never be able to be fully rid of the disease.

By the end of second grade, Dylan's friend began to notice his tics, and began to ask him about them. When he entered the third grade, Dylan and his mother went in to talk to his teacher, Mrs. Sudhalter, about discussing Tourette Syndrome with his classmates. That first week of school, Dylan's mother came in to help him share about his condition, and to answer any questions the other children may have. Soon after, Dylan created this book, which shares these experiences, in his own words.

Included in the book are illustrations done by Dylan's friend Zachary Wendland, a very talented young man. The foreward was written by Jim Eisenreich, who is a former Major League Baseball Player, an active member of the national Tourette Syndrome Association, and founder of the Jim Eisenreich Foundation for Children with Tourette Syndrome. He, too, has Tourette Syndrome.

At the end of the book is a guide to "10 Successful Strategies for working with children with Tourette Syndrome", written by Brad Cohen, author of Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had." A list of other resources is also included.

Though it seems unlikely that we will encounter someone with Tourette Syndrome, this book is still very important. Few resources exist for children with TS, and this book allows them someone to whom they can relate, who is closer to their age. The resources and information contained and linked to within are beneficial for any educators or workplace managers who many encounter someone with Tourette Syndrome. It should also be shared with children, simply to make them aware that even though some children may be different, they really are fundamentally the same.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. The review was originally published at Andi's Kids Books

My Child Has Autism: What Parents Need to Know
My Child Has Autism: What Parents Need to Know
by Clarissa Willis
Price: $12.95
33 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory resource, August 13, 2014
My Child Has Autism: What Parents Need to Know by Clarissa Willis, Ph.D. is an excellent introductory tool for parents with a child newly diagnosed with autism. It explains all of the involved jargon in a clear fashion, allowing parents to better understand everything.

Willis begins by explaining what autism is and what it is not, including a look at what is known as the autism spectrum. She also provides an overview of the diagnostic process and applicable treatments and techniques.

A whole chapter is devoted to trying to answer common questions asked by parents of children with autism. Common behaviors of rituals, obsession with objects, and autistic tantrums are bewildering to parents. Willis also provides several activities designed to meet these challenges head-on.

Lack of communication skills are at the core of autistic difficulties. Parents and children struggle to understand each other. Willis takes a lot of time to explain the difficulties as well as strategies to implement to facilitate communication. These activities can amplify techniques used by therapists and teachers.

Another chapter is devoted to Sensory Integration Disorder, which often occurs in children with autism. Willis again provides an overview with some common strategies used with children with autism. She also provides resources for further information, as entire volumes have been written dedicated to SID.

The last three chapters of the book are about helping the autistic child to become as independent as possible, as well as learning how to socially interact. Social interactions are very difficult, especially with the lack of communication skills.

As an educator, I found this book to be quite useful. It is filled with beneficial information that can help a regular educator in her classroom. It is one of the clearest books I have yet read on the subject. Key terms are defined at the end of every chapter. The numerous references and resources, also found at the end of each chapter, allow for further study on a particular area. It can also provide a springboard for conversation between educators and parents.

Students can also benefit from use of this book as an initial textbook in their studies of autism.

Parents will benefit from the introduction to autism, and can also use the resource lists to gain more information. It can give them a list of questions to ask doctors and therapists. A mother of an autistic child who skimmed the book said that while she wished more information was given in the treatment section, she felt everything else was explained quite clearly. She wishes she could have had such a book when her son was first diagnosed.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, previously published at Andi's Book Reviews.

Before He Was Famous: Starstruck Book 1
Before He Was Famous: Starstruck Book 1
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars What's better than being in love with your best friend?, July 8, 2014
Ever wonder what happens behind the scenes of those award shows? This book felt like one view of the craziness that ensues when someone goes from zero to superstardom in a matter of time. Social media is especially potent these days, adding fuel to the fire. And then what happens to everyone else in their lives?

I loved the relationship between Noah and Chloe. What's better than being in love with your best friend? Especially if he is a hottie rock star? Of course, there is plenty of heartbreak and you find yourself yelling at the Kindle from moment to moment. Noah is great. Chloe is also wonderful, but makes you crazy at times with her decisions! I also think I would love to have her job. I have had fantasies of following around my favorite musicians, as a friend, capturing the experience. It was definitely a roller coaster ride that I enjoyed, especially because I am a sucker for rock star romance stories of all kinds.

This was another book that told the story from each character's point-of-view, helping you to really get to know them and their thoughts. I felt like their voices were true and that the situations were quite plausible. I would love to read more!

Ladybugs Have Lots of Spots (Shapes and Spaces)
Ladybugs Have Lots of Spots (Shapes and Spaces)
by Sheryl Shapiro
Price: $6.95
36 used & new from $2.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing title, great photos, June 23, 2014
The rhyming prose is catchy and will make children want to listen. I love the real photographs that are used, to help children better connect the concept of round items to the world around them. They connect objects that are different, which can help with later analytical thinking, such as rings on a hand versus on a cat, or wheels on a car versus lights on a stoplight. What makes me crazy is the title is misdirecting. When you look at the title, you are expecting to read a book about ladybugs, not looking at shapes that are round. That doesn't mean that kids aren't going to still understand the concepts being taught within the title. It can still be a cute addition to a children's library.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20