Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Profile for Kevin L. Nenstiel > Reviews

Browse

Kevin L. Nenstiel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1704
Top Reviewer Ranking: 684

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin L. Nenstiel "omnivore" RSS Feed (Kearney, Nebraska)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Simple Classic Men Cross Pendant Necklace Stainless Steel Chain
Simple Classic Men Cross Pendant Necklace Stainless Steel Chain
Offered by U7 Jewelry
Price: $35.94
2 used & new from $12.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Masculine Talisman, May 1, 2016
I've wanted a cross I could wear for a while now. When I feel the desire to give into anger, despair, or lewdness, I've wanted the feeling of a talisman to remind me what I believe. But I've also wanted something that looks masculine and unobtrusive. This cross fits the bill perfectly.

Its austere, unornamented design avoids the from-frou common in too much religious jewelry. It looks like something a callused carpenter, like the Son of Man Himself, might wear. It's lightweight enough to wear under a t-shirt or other workplace gear, so it doesn't get tangled in equipment and jeopardize your safety.

But it's also just heavy enough to move around, reminding you it's there, keeping you conscious of the beliefs you profess. It makes a convenient reminder to yourself, when it would be easy to give into the Seven Deadly Sins, that you live for something grander than yourself.

If you want something more masculine than typical "jewelry," but also heavy enough that you can't take it for granted, this is a good piece for the purpose. Plus it's stain-resistant, so you won't fear to sweat on it. All around, it's the right piece for a man to remember his beliefs.

The manufacturer offered me a review sample of this product, at their own expense, in exchange for an honest opinion. As always, all views expressed are strictly my own.

Sportswear Men's 100% Polyester Moisture-Wicking Short-Sleeve T-Shirt Jersey (XL, Black)
Offered by sttao
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shirt For Sweat-Intensive Environments, May 1, 2016
This shirt is designed for workouts, athletics, and other uses where you sweat like a stevedore. Me, I don't have a formal workout regimen. However, I do work construction and volunteer at the local community theatre, both tasks where sweat is the rule, not the exception. And I've found this shirt a godsend when the sweat starts rolling.

Just as the package suggests, it hugs a man's torso to keep him covered through a workout, or work, and directs sweat and other moisture away from the body. Thus it keeps you dry and cool in hot, stinky situations. Its simple black color and austere design are both ergonomic and attractive while you work yourself into a lather. It has a left-pec logo that resembles the Adidas logo, but is just different enough.

It fits very narrowly across the torso, so I can't recommend it for people just starting a workout regimen or blue-collar job. Its design assumes you're already streamlined and have a fairly athletic build. I'm on the narrow side for construction work, and it fits pretty tight on me. If you're just starting to get your weight under control, consider starting with a different shirt.

Since I don't work out committedly, I can't respond to its athletic qualities. However, I've worn this shirt to build and hang frames, and I've worn it to strike the set. In both cases, I've found it to be comfortable, ergonomic, and clean, in the sense that I didn't stink at the end. If you expect to find yourself in a sweaty, stinky situation, get this shirt and dress accordingly. Provided you can squeeze yourself into an athletic-fit shirt.

The manufacturer provided me a review sample of this shirt, at their own expense, in exchange for an honest review. As ale, all opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Wolverine 3 Piece Bandana Set 22 Inch Square Assortment Camo (Camouflage)
Wolverine 3 Piece Bandana Set 22 Inch Square Assortment Camo (Camouflage)
Offered by Bells & Whistles
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Breathable Cotton, April 13, 2016
This review is from: Wolverine Bandana 3 Pack Set
This package includes three bandanas: red paisley, grey paisley, and night watch camo. At 22 inches on a side, they're long enough to turn into a do-rag on your head, a breather mask on dusty days, a bandage on a camping wound, and anything else you'd do with a bandana. Me, I use one as a sleep mask, and as a construction worker, I use the other two as face masks to keep concrete dust out of the air I breathe.

Being 100% cotton, they're fully breathable—which I can attest to, since I frequently breathe through them. Just yesterday as I write this, I was working outdoors in a significant spring windstorm, which blew huge clouds of fine, powdery dust right in my face. My safety glasses kept the dust out of my eyes; my bandana kept dust out of my lungs, while permitting me to continue breathing fresh air like normal.

I've carried bandanas in the past, usually cheap polyester ones. They work well for things like drying your hands or tying back long hair (which I used to have). But for anything that requires breathability, like a dust mask or a sweat rag, I find I prefer cotton. These natural-fiber bandanas are lightweight, large, and breathable. I really like them. They do everything I need a bandana to do, and they do it without weighing me down.

The manufacturer sent me a sample of this product, at their own expense, in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions given are strictly my own.

Spasso Men's Basic Style Long-Sleeve Shirt (XXL, London Stripe_Pink)
Spasso Men's Basic Style Long-Sleeve Shirt (XXL, London Stripe_Pink)
Offered by Kolon FnC
Price: $79.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, Slim-Fitting Dress Shirt, April 12, 2016
The first time I put this shirt on, I suspected I'd like it. The almost-flat hem looks trim enough to wear untucked, but runs long enough to tuck in professionally. The thin, razor-sharp stripes look bold up close, but blend into a nice, spring-ish color from a distance. You could wear this shirt to work, church, or on a date.

This shirt has a lightweight, breathable weave that keeps it from collecting heat. That makes it good for changing temperatures in spring and summer, though it's also light enough that you'd better have an undershirt if you go out in your shirtsleeves. (It's designed for wearing with a suit or sportcoat, so be aware it also has no pocket for your pen and other goodies.)

I got this shirt in 2X for the length, because I have pretty long limbs. I've grown accustomed to wearing off-the-rack shirts rather big and blousy in exchange for the length. So I was surprised to find this shirt fits rather trim. Not snug, but slimmer than I'm used to. If you have some girth, be aware this shirt will be less roomy than usual.

But for people of healthy weight or, like me, kinda scrawny, this shirt feels nice and looks professional. I prefer wearing mine with a blazer, and with the changing seasons, the weight is modest enough for comfort, without giving up any quality of appearance. Simply, I like it, and I suspect you will like it too.

The manufacturer provided me a sample of this product, at their own expense, in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions stated are strictly my own.

Bionaire PureQuiet Dehumidifier, 25 pint
Bionaire PureQuiet Dehumidifier, 25 pint
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, Powerful, Low-Cost Appliance, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first day I plugged this dehumidifier in and let it run, it pulled more than one drinking glass-full of water from the air in one afternoon. The second day, I let it run while I was at work, and when I came home, it had pulled so much water from the air, the safety had clicked in to prevent it overflowing. This wasn't even on a humid summer day. This thing is really, really powerful.

The package says this device lacks the capacity to handle really wet environments, like a damp basement or hanging laundry. I can vouch for that. Even on relatively dry days, it needs emptied twice a day or more. Because I've had electric dehumidifiers before, I never expected this one to work nearly as well as it did. Even the package undersold how effective this device is.

The package promises that this dehumidifier will work very quietly. I can vouch for that: it runs quieter than just about any electric appliance in my entire house. And since the air conditioner does better at drying out the air than making it cool, it's even preferable to running the climate control. Especially since it makes a vanishingly small dent in my electric bill, it's a real addition to my house.

Total up everything this does: keeps damp places dry, beyond even what the maker promises. Does so quietly, unobtrusively, at modest cost. And hey, provides enough water to keep my house plants alive. This has already become a welcome addition to my house.

BUREI Men's SM-15010-1-C01EY Stainless Steel Automatic Watch with Black Dial and Black Leather
Offered by BUREI Watches
Price: $126.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Attractive, Convenient, Self-Winding Watch, April 10, 2016
This is the third Burei watch I've owned, and it took me somewhat by surprise, because it's the first Burei watch I've had that didn't have a quartz movement. For young people unfamiliar with dial-face watches, a quartz movement means a watch is battery powered. A Swiss movement means it's driven by a mainspring, and needs wound occasionally. If you have a self-winding Swiss movement, which this one is, the regular movements of your body will keep the mainspring wound. But if you take this watch off, set it aside, and wear another watch for a day, this one will wind down, until it stops. Then you'll have to reset it for accuracy, and give it enough of a wind to keep it running while you build up momentum.

I found this out because this watch is much too nice to wear to my day job. Burei makes slim-profile, professional-looking watches suitable for white collar jobs, evenings out at nice restaurants, and church; I wouldn't wear my Burei watches to my construction job. So I'd set this aside, wear my blue collar watch, and come back to this one in the evening, only to find it had stopped. Since I assumed this had a quartz movement, like my other two Burei watches, I thought this one had a manufacturing defect, and was prepared to say so in my review. Then one day, as I was taking this watch off, I momentarily held it up to my ear, and realized that, just at the threshold of human hearing, this watch was... ticking.

Not many watches do that these days.

I had no idea until that moment that this watch was different than my other Burei watches. It looks as sleek and professional, with the embossed silver hands and Art Deco numberless face against the black background. The textured leather strap looks, from handshake distance, like alligator skin, but feels soft as calfskin on your wrist. The stainless steel case is heavy enough to withstand moderate abuse, but weighs as little as a feather on your arm. And the crystal, though not heavy, is non-reflective enough to allow you to check the time even in places where lopsided light levels usually make that difficult, like in the theatre. All in all, this watch looks as clean and professional as what I've come to expect from the Burei name.

With the discovery that it was self-winding, I found I liked it even more. Rather than having stored energy inside a battery, this one actually runs on the energy of my own body. This means it's unlikely to stop if the case pops open in the rain (let's just say), and if it does stop, you needn't run to one of the decreasing number of clock-and-watch shops in hopes of finding a compatible battery. If treated with respect, this watch will continue running for a long, long time, without you having to particularly think about it. It's the ultimate convenience, requiring little investment of energy or maintenance beyond setting it if it winds down. Convenience, clarity, and an attractive, professional design: what does this have that's not to love?

BoxLegend Clothes/T Shirt Folder Blue Plastic 4mm Thickness Shirt Folding Board Easy and Fast Laundry Folder flipfold rack
Offered by BoxLegend
Price: $23.99
2 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cleaner Fold For a Cleaner Home, April 10, 2016
If you've ever wanted the kind of clean, professional fold for your clothing that big box retailers and specialty haberdashers achieve, you need to use the same equipment they do. This lightweight, ergonomic folding board gives you a clean, attractive fold in a matter of seconds, which not only lets your clothing look as polished as it did when you bought it, but also lets you store the clothing in your dresser with less space than the fold your mommy (or anyway mine) taught you. See the accompanying video for more.

Then when you're done, it folds to a profile less than an inch thick, letting you store it in a drawer, back shelf, or other unobtrusive place. If you do your wash at a laundromat, or the shared laundry room of your apartment complex, this is slim enough to carry with you, without burdening yourself with more stuff. You can stick it in the corner of a laundry hamper and not even think of it until it comes time to fold and haul your clean clothes home. All in all, it lets your house look neater, more organized, and sleeker, without getting rid of stuff you might still want or need.

The manufacturer sent me this product, at their own expense, in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions stated are strictly my own.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pollock
Pollock
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of the Artist as a Doomed Man, April 3, 2016
This review is from: Pollock (Amazon Video)
In 1949, LIFE Magazine published an inside spread about a little-known New York painter named Jackson Pollock. Though he’d snagged occasional high-dollar commissions, nobody outside Manhattan’s intelligentsia knew Pollock until LIFE made him globally famous. Suddenly, canvases comprised of acrylic flowed over the surface, some larger than dining tables, fetched six and seven figures at auction. But this also commenced the artist’s irretrievable slide into self-destruction.

Actor Ed Harris became interested in Jackson Pollock when his father purchased a biography, for no other reason than he believed Harris physically resembled Pollock. As a self-taught expert, Harris never considered anybody but himself to direct this, his directorial debut; he floated several actors, but ultimately decided nobody but himself could enact his vision. This could have descended into an insufferable vanity project. But it does so much better.

Harris commences Pollock’s story in 1941. A 4-F Army reject with useless art credentials and no income, he’s crashing in his brother Sande’s plush apartment. He considers himself an unrecognized genius; his peers consider him a crashing drunk. Enter Lee Krasner (Marcia Gay Harden), a fellow budding painter seeking professional connections. She recognizes in Pollock the same genius he envisions, and pauses her own career to foster his.

This poses significant problems. By sacrificing herself (her career wouldn’t resume until after his death), Krasner becomes both Pollock’s inspiration, and his enabler. Because Pollock really is a raging alcoholic, numbing himself to a world so chaotic that sensitive, wounded souls like him can’t withstand the pressure. Krasner quickly discovers that Pollock’s genius arises from his damage; the more tumultuous their life together, the more profound of art he creates.

And it is, undoubtedly, profound art. If you’re unfamiliar with Jackson Pollock, he created his most influential paintings by flowing paint onto the canvas from above, using the brush like a conductor’s baton. The resulting images are chaotic, frenzied, and completely missing any recognizable object; when people say “I don’t understand modern art,” they’re probably thinking Jackson Pollock. But his work perfectly encapsulated the reeling, frenetic post-WWII years.

As director, Harris lavishes attention onto Pollock’s creative process. His style is quick and gestural. In his earliest artworks, he slathers paint onto the canvas directly from the tube—an innovation made possible only by technological advances in quick-drying acrylic paint. Later, working in a converted upstate New York horse barn, he unlocks his later drizzling style by accident, making new expressions possible that no prior artist ever considered.

Therein lies an important theme of this movie: what is art? To Pollock and Krasner, art communicates something internal to the artist; the audience is a latecomer to the process. As his paintings convey Pollock’s inner turmoil, his personal life becomes more ordered. Pollock and Krasner wed, sober up, and become contributing members of their community. He successfully moves his inner pandemonium outward, where art makes the artist more human.

In this environment, art is intensely personal. Where art conservatories teach aspiring painters to mimic the masters, Pollock strives to create something unique to himself. He succeeds, but not without cost. He becomes disdainful of other painters; once, compared to Pablo Picasso, Pollock snipes: “F*** Picasso.” It’s a beautifully understated moment expressing how, in becoming himself, he has become tragically disconnected from others. Famous, but alone.

But the clamoring public expects Pollock to repeat past successes, even as his inner struggle has moved onward. Trapped into mimicking himself, his psychological struggles reassert themselves, and he lashes out spitefully at anybody who dares approach him like a friend. As he descends back into drunkenness, alienates Lee Krasner (who supports his work but increasingly despises him), and takes a mistress, he becomes a caricature of the malignant genius.

There’s a moment, in the penultimate scene, that any artist will find difficult to watch. Driving drunk, unable and unwilling to divorce his wife, bereft of creative outlet only seven years after achieving fame, he looks at his beautiful but vacuous mistress (Jennifer Connelly), and the life drains from his eyes. Though physically alive when he drives over an embankment, we witness his dying moment. It’s painful to behold.

Renaissance artists created art to praise God—a God not all believed in, but nevertheless. Without God, art becomes something different, something personal. This movie suggests that’s why artists are frequently self-destructive, because they’ve parceled themselves out to the often unappreciative public. Harris has created an engaging story of how art consumes, in every way, the best artists. Like art, it’s beautiful and tragic.

Power Habits: 101 Life Lessons & Success Habits of Great Leaders, Business Icons and Inspirational Achievers
by Chris Luke
Price: $14.99
10 used & new from $11.61

2.0 out of 5 stars A Change of Habit, April 3, 2016
I've noticed most bookstores have two sections side-by-side: "Self-Help" and "Psychology." The former is self-explanatory and highlights authors like Jack Canfield, Tony Robbins, and Sylvia Browne. The latter includes some scholarly psychologists, like Paul Ekman or Mihaly Czikszentmihaly, but is mainly dominated by what one New Republic reviewer called “self-help for people who would be embarrassed to be seen reading it.” This book is, far and away, that category.

Author Chris Luke, who doesn't burden readers with anything so pedestrian as a bio or credentials, proffers a book that says nothing particularly wrong, but also says nothing particularly well. Luke offers 101 mini-essays, none over two pages, most just one plus some dangling lines. Each shares some putatively relevant life lesson, like "Challenge Yourself" or "Follow Your Curiosity," illustrated by examples from some famous, successful, or influential personality. Some examples are fictional.

My problem isn't Luke's principles. Indeed, some of them I like so much, I wish Luke spent more time unpacking them. Though Luke never mentions the word, these principles accord with classic Stoicism, a philosophy I recently rediscovered and have striven to apply in my own life. A handful of precepts Luke treats so briefly that they're arguably vulnerable to abuse if audiences read carelessly, but evidence suggests Luke's heart is in the right place.

No, my problems are sub-surface, facing more what Luke omits. For instance, despite the title, Luke never describes what habits are, nor how to engineer them. Unlike, say, Gretchen Rubin, Luke presents habits as something we do, not ways of reprogramming core mental processes. Despite advances in neuroscience, habit formation remains deeply controversial , profoundly unsettled and unsettling. Anybody who's tried muscling past bad habits knows how intractable our brains really are.

Just as our author omits structure, this book also omits process. Telling audiences to, say, "Cultivate Creativity," doesn't guide the nominally well-adjusted cubicle drone how to change thinking patterns learned through years of school and employment. Precepts like "Don't Wait For Permission" could sound offensive to poor or minority readers, structurally slapped down by economic and social forces that discourage, even punish, risk-taking or innovative behavior.

Let me reiterate: I don't mean Luke is wrong. Quite the contrary, his principles, if handled appropriately, are universal, portable, and empowering. But the applications are not. Telling people to "Focus" isn't good enough; entire religious traditions, like Buddhist meditation or Christian monastic prayer, are dedicated to improving individuals' ability to focus. Workers plagued by bills, responsibilities, and work-life balance, often want to focus, but need guidance actually doing so.

One short illustration should suffice. Luke says that, at the peak of his touring career, comedian Jerry Seinfeld "used a unique calendar system to motivate and pressure himself to write, even when he didn't feel like it." Holy schlamoly, now that's meaty! This old ex-teacher wants to say: "Speak more to that, please." Because I know the feeling of being too tired and discouraged to practice the art I love.

Too late, though: Luke has already caromed onto another topic. To Luke, these precepts aren't something smart people of earnest intention struggle to achieve; they're something we should just do, and quit dithering. Apparently he did. Luke repeatedly mentions his success building an exercise regimen from zero. I believe that's possible; I've seen it. But most beginners need an experienced coach, workout partner, or Phys-Ed teacher to start well. People who just start running just get charley horses.

I believe Luke's 101 principles come from good solid foundations, and not just based on my experience. They're confirmed in authors from the ancient (Marcus Aurelius) to the modern (Charles Duhigg). Writers like Kelly McGonigal confirm the science, while journalists like Malcolm Gladwell, whom Luke quotes, confirm the practice. Robust evidence testifies that Luke writes from a position of strength, backed by history's best minds. At no point in this book does Luke say anything wrong.

But neither does he say anything likely to translate into action. Because his vague, gnomic essays contain no how-to steps, I fear his words will result in many solemn nods, many "mm-hmms," and copious agreement. Then readers who concur with his opinions will do nothing. Because being right doesn't mean much, if you aren't also useful.

Sometimes, in writing reviews like this, I catch grief for not having any counter-proposal. But I'm no scientist or journalist; that's not my job. This review links several authors whose writing achieves what Luke promises. Take a look. The processes exist, for the diligent student.

From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives
by Jeffrey E. Garten
Price: $19.44
69 used & new from $10.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Our Incredible Shrinking Globe, March 31, 2016
It’s exceedingly difficult to separate books about economic forces from one’s opinion about these forces. Yale economist Jeffrey E. Garten has crafted a remarkable book about globalization, anchored not to abstruse mathematics and distant political machinations, but to the biographies of ten exceptional people who pioneered modern transnationalism. This book is readable, informative, and personable. But this old Distributist can’t help thinking Garten has overlooked his most important points.

Most readers understand globalization, if not from high-speed bond trades and massive offshoring of blue-collar jobs, then from election-year stump speeches about trade deficits and the TPP. Garten recasts this debate in personal, humane terms. Enterprising individuals devised ways that goods, populations, and ideas could move freely, unshackled by prior limitations. This ambitious invention puts all human experience within ordinary persons’ grasp, though never without cost.

Garten unpacks ten important lives that, in various ways, made our world smaller and more accessible. Some are world leaders, like Genghis Khan, Margaret Thatcher, and Deng Xiaoping. Some are financiers and business leaders, like banker Mayer Amschel Rothschild, oil baron John D. Rockefeller, and Intel CEO Andrew Grove. And some you’ve never heard of, like communications entrepreneur Cyrus Field and revolutionary statesman Jean Monnet.

To a certain extent, Garten acknowledges globalization’s loaded, explosive implications. He describes “the two sides of globalization—the dislocation and destruction that it can inflict and the peace, modernization, and prosperity that it can create.” Sounds fair-minded, right? But this quote describes Genghis Khan, a name virtually synonymous with violent nationalism and rapacity. Not exactly a name the Trans-Pacific Partnership sponsors want hung on their efforts.

Admittedly, as Garten describes, Genghis standardized commerce along the Silk Road (thus this book’s title), separated governance from religion, and established history’s first trans-continental postal service. He also slaughtered dissidents, starved peasants, and shipped the spoils of war home to Mongolia, which produced nothing besides warriors. That thread, of how globalization concentrates power and its attendant wealth upward, permeates this entire book—though the implicit downsides are often buried.

It’s possible to repeat this critical pattern with nearly every chapter. Yes, Prince Henry the Navigator opened trans-oceanic trade and scientific inquiry. He also quickly jettisoned his putative moral justifications in favor of trade, especially the slave trade, a generation before Columbus. Mayer Rothschild created pan-European banking connections that permitted money to trade as freely as goods. He also funded both sides of the Napoleonic Wars, probably prolonging the violence.

Garten’s first three biographies are of out-and-out imperialists: Genghis Khan, Prince Henry, and Robert Clive, the Englishman who subdued India. Of Garten’s ten biographies, only two don’t require Garten to paper over something completely awful: Cyrus Field, who masterminded the first trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, and Jean Monnet, who laid the diplomatic foundations for the EU. And given the ongoing Euro crisis, Garten must acknowledge well-founded, if blinkered, criticisms of Monnet.

I have two favorite quotes. After an entire chapter lavishing praise upon Margaret Thatcher for undoing the postwar welfare state, steamrolling workers’ rights, and glorifying the financial services industry, Garten writes: “Indeed, the very connectedness that Thatcher’s policies encouraged has created a counter-requirement for more cushions, more redundancies, more advance planning to avert catastrophes—in other words, more government involvement.” That feels like the lede, not a summing-up thought.

Shortly thereafter, Garten writes: “Along among the industry leaders, [Andrew] Grove had the courage to respond to industry slumps by cutting budgets, cutting jobs, and forcing staff to work longer for less money.” Wow, that’s courageous. Did workloads and paychecks return to pre-slump levels? Not according to one IT professional I know in California. Grove, alongside Jobs and Gates, engineered what Jill Andresky Fraser calls the White-Collar Sweatshop.

Rereading everything I’ve written, I realize it appears I hate this book. Not so: Garten has crafted an engaging, human-centered history of a force most private citizens probably consider an impersonal mass. He separates globalization’s facts from the slogans which dominate both sides of the debate, and expounds details too difficult to fit on a protester’s placard. He opened this old Distributist’s eyes to implications I’d never considered.

Rather, I mean Garten writes from a particular position, with a particular goal. His writing serves that goal. Smart, critical audiences can profitably read this book, while recognizing the limitations Garten has set himself. By making globalization human, Garten makes its costs humane. I can express my reservations in straight, uncluttered English, as I couldn’t a week ago. I wish more policy debates were as human-scale and flexible as this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20