Profile for Mary Parisi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Parisi RSS Feed (Woodbury, NJ USA)

Cucina Di Calabria: Treasured Recipes and Family Traditions from Southern Italy (Cookbooks)
by Mary Amabile Palmer
Price: $17.65
41 used & new from $11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and yummy, January 28, 2011
The recipes in this book are very easy to follow and the food is typical Italian: delicious! Being of Calabrian descent, i was able to find some recipes that I had only heard my mother talk about - since recipes in a typical Italian household were never written down, some recipes were "lost" in my family. These recipes allowed us to recreate and rediscover some of the old family recipes. Priceless! It was also fun to see some of our family recipes in print form - "Hey look! That's grandma's recipe!" Or "didn't Aunt Theresa used to make that?"

My three year old daughter loves the mushroom salad. She tried it of her own volition! Simple antipasti to hearty meals, this book is the book I turn to when I want something familiar and easy to make.

Marrying Mozart: A Novel
Marrying Mozart: A Novel
by Stephanie Cowell
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and intriguing, February 9, 2005
I enjoyed this book immensely. It shows us a young Mozart through the eyes of the Weber girls. Four young girls whose lives were very much entangled with Mozart.

The author succeeds in painting a pretty accurate picture of what life may have been like for these poor young girls, their friends and families.

I wish it had gone into a little bit more detail simply because I just didn't want to be finished with this book!

I am a fan of Mozart, but you really don't have to be to read this novel. The characters were fully developed and well written. If this was a 'complete' work of fiction instead if a history-based novel, it would have been just as enjoyable.

Black & Decker OptiToast T4000 toaster
Black & Decker OptiToast T4000 toaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable with great results!, October 15, 2004
I did not see the other review before I bought this toaster. I am glad I didn't, because I am very happy with this toaster. I usually check consumer reviews on epinions.com before purchasing. The price on this unit was right, I paid $20.99 and free shipping.

It's a four slice toaster with wide slots to easily fit bagels or waffles. It toasted evenly and exactly as I like my toast. I like a light to medium toast - golden brown. The bagel was perfect on the outside and warmed through on the inside! My husband likes his toast slightly darker - deep brown, but not burnt. And that's exactly what he got! You can set each two slices at different settings so we don't have to wait in the morning - we can both toast at once. And the crumb trays - one for each side - makes cleanup easy! No more shaking the toaster upside down over the sink!

This toaster does the job of the more expensive toasters at a quarter of the price. Thank you Black and Decker!

Star Wars Trilogy (A New Hope / The Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi) (Widescreen Edition with Bonus Disc)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by Yaz Design
Price: $88.41
34 used & new from $34.61

1,845 of 2,076 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Legacy, September 10, 2004
I am a huge fan of Star Wars. YEs, I am an 'Original Fan". And why is being an 'Original' fan percieved so negatively? If you are an original Beatles fan, the newer fans ask you with reverence what it was like seeing them in concert, etc. etc. (No, I am not fortunate enough to be an 'original' Beatles fan. I wasn't even born in 1964.) Original Star Wars fans are called oldtimers and accused of not letting go of the past and not appreciating that times change.

Mr. Rehnquist wrote in his review "I ask, who would want to see old, outdated movies in this age of advanced technology? " Well, I hope the answer is "Many People". My love of movies is not based on the level of special effects. Should we no longer watch the great old black and white films of the past because they are 'old and outdated'? No more Bogie and Bacall? No more Hepburn and Tracy? What about Gene Kelly? Jimmy Stewart?

The thing Mr. Lucas is forgetting is that more is not always better- in an interview when the movies first came out, he was quoted as saying that the problem with the Sci-Fi genre in general was that so many moviemakers forgot about the story. The movies ended up being built around the special effects.

Unfortunately, Mr. Lucas is adding all of these scenes and filming the newer movies (Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones) with nothing but the possibilities of these special effects in mind. He has lost the story; it had become secondary to the special effects.

I had no problem with the celebratory scenes added at the end of "Return of the Jedi" but I do have a problem with some of the other scenes. Han shot Greedo. Greedo did not shoot first. It is ridiculous to change this. Han's change of heart and redemption are more powerful when you know he was a mercenary! He was always looking out for himself. That's how he survived! He was in it for the money, and found himself inexplicably drawn to the people of the Rebellion. That's good story-telling.

The problem is that Mr. Lucas has taken the liberty of CHANGING much of the story with these scenes.

Mos Eisley was supposed to be a dusty, deserted town. Tatooine is on the outer rim of the galazy. It's an unimportant, dusty, underpopulated planet. What I saw in the "Special Editions" was a thriving, well-populated town.

I would happily buy the special edition versions if I knew Lucas intended on eventually releasing the original versions on DVD as well. I'd buy both.

We're not trying to erase the movies you love. If you like the "Special Editions" Great! I am glad. I would never tell any of you to shut up or that your opinions were stupid and your views outdated as we have been told by Mr. Rehnquist.

We original fans aren't telling you new fans that the version we grew up with should be the only one out there. Please have the courtesy of relizing we are only asking for the opportunity to buy these movies the way we fell in love with them.
Comment Comments (77) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 11:19 AM PST

by Sara Moulton
225 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, May 2, 2003
I purchased this book as a birthday present for my mother. She is a huge fan of Sara Moulton. I had never watched Sara's show on the Food Network, but I paged through this book before giving it to my mom. Wow! Great recipes, easy to follow. I'm hooked. I will have to get my own copy of this book. I highly recommend it!

Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater
Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater
Offered by Master room
Price: $25.99
89 used & new from $8.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool., May 2, 2003
I recently purchased this and I am glad I did. It makes grating and zesting a breeze. Before I got this, I minced citrus peel very finely, but was never satisfied with the results. This makes adding just a hint of the ingredient (citrus, cheese, nutmeg etc) very easy. A must have in the kitchen.

by Sara Moulton
225 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, May 2, 2003

I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
by Alton Brown
65 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, May 2, 2003
This book will truly inspire you to be a better cook. If I were teaching someone how to cook, this would be the book I gave them! But it's not just for beginners! Alton Brown explains the process of cooking. Step by Step you will learn how (and why) to sear, braise, roast, grill etc. Once you have these techniques under your belt, you can now apply them to any recipes you have, or create some recipes of you own. I recently found out that this book was nominated for a James Beard award in the Reference material category. It is well deserved and I truly hope he wins that award!

How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson
156 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Defending the Domestic Goddess, March 13, 2003
I bought this book after seeing Nigella on tv. I read some of the reviews listed here and frankly, the people who claim their recipes did not turn out, something must have gone wrong - because every recipe I have made has turned out perfect and delicious and wonderful. I made the 'Chocolate Chestnut Cake', which was perfect. A light and wonderful cake, with a unique texture and not overly sweet taste. I have also made the 'Carrot Cake cupcakes' Which was a hit at the party I attended. Moist and flavorful - it was the only dessert at the party to completely disappear! The snickerdoodles were different from the American version, but simply delicious anyway. And her frostings and cake adornment suggestions are wonderful. She's not afraid to share short cuts and tips to make your life easier. She usually tells you exactly what she does and then tells you several things you could do if you don't want to do it her way. She is a wonderful cook and this book showcases some simple, and delicious recipes as well as her delightful sense of humor! I Highly recommend this book!