Profile for Joe K > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joe K RSS Feed (Maryland, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Metal Sheave Gauge (.25" to 1.5")
Metal Sheave Gauge (.25" to 1.5")
Offered by Industrial Training International Bookstore
Price: $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The sheet from which each gauge was stamped is pretty thin, which makes the overall set nice and ..., November 28, 2014
This review is from: Metal Sheave Gauge (.25" to 1.5")
This is a standard set of sheave gauges for small diameter wire rope. Each gauge is metal stamped with the applicable rope diameter. The set is attached with a rivet. The sheet from which each gauge was stamped is pretty thin, which makes the overall set nice and light. I think the product will last a long time if it is not abused.

Report Writing for Marine Surveyors
Report Writing for Marine Surveyors
by Mike Wall
8 used & new from $153.54

5.0 out of 5 stars An Investment in Continuous Improvement, October 19, 2014
This is a very specialized book for a very specialized audience. It is also expensive. However, the value of the book lies in the templates (examples) provided in the appendices for different survey types. Schematic treatment of about a chapter's length, appropriate for the scope of the book, is given to descriptions of survey types, legal considerations, task preparation, and style.

This book will not serve as a manual that will teach you how to write. There are many other books devoted exclusively to technical writing that would be better for ChEngr's or Captains returning to shoreside duty in the capacity of a surveyor. However, the book provides examples of professional styles and highlights common pitfalls. Those returning from sea without significant writing experience would be well served by taking a technical writing class. This book provides insight into the process and nuances of writing survey reports. A take-away from the book is that the technical competence of a surveyor is worthless unless findings and opinions can be communicated to others via written reports. Similarly for legal aspects: There are entire books written on the subject. However, the author does a good job of highlighting critical aspects of liability and provides example terms and conditions of survey.

This book would be valuable to an independent surveyor, whether someone with experience or a journeyman, because it would allow him/her to benchmark their work product against principles exposed by an experienced surveyor (the author). A survey organization would benefit for similar reasons. The book would allow individuals or an organization to assess whether they are employing best practices. This book provides a peek into one surveyors methodology. Continuous process improvement is fostered by reviewing another's methodology and perhaps modifying an internal practice to suit a take-away. This would probably be more likely for individuals, but perhaps not for surveyors in large organizations; it all depends on how many surveyors in an organization get to read the reports of others from within and from outside of the organization. Work product improves when there is cross pollination of styles, techniques, and process.

The book was a very high quality print and was a quick read. The value to me is that the examples in the appendices should serve as a future reference. So the up-front time investment in reading the book was not significant. The cost of the book was, but I justified it because I do not have regular access to the work product of others. I did find details that I will incorporate in my future work.

Casio #10262751 Genuine Factory Replacement Band Model: PAW1300, PRW1300, PRG110
Offered by The Watchband Store
Price: $28.95
7 used & new from $28.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement was easy. Using a straight pin I pushed the spring ..., July 11, 2014
This was an OEM replacement for the band that broke on my watch. I would have given it 5 stars except for the price, which I think is really high. Replacement was easy. Using a straight pin I pushed the spring loaded bars back enough so that the metal interface plates could be removed. Once the plates were removed I fully pushed out the spring loaded bars that hold the band to the watch. I aligned the new band to the watch, inserted the sping loaded bars, and replaced the cover plates starting from one side and snaping the other side over the pins. The spring loaded bars are two sizes, one short and one long. The long bar goes closest to the watch body. The short bar goes furthest from the watch body. Maybe two minutes total.

Pentair U178-940P Fill Utility Drain Plug Replacement Sta-Rite Dura-Jet DJ-Series Spa Pump
Price: $11.19
3 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit as Advertised, April 26, 2014
So this is a pretty obscure component for hot tub pumps. Mine was leaking and I tracked down the replacement. This part fit properly and solved my leaking problem. I am glad manufacturers are making their replacement parts available on amazon. It makes purchasing them easy.

Agora 9" Practice Cones - Set of 10 (ORANGE)
Agora 9" Practice Cones - Set of 10 (ORANGE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kids Sports, April 26, 2014
These are really tough and stand up to a beating. Note, they are only 9 inches tall so they are best for small field sizes or for staging drills. They would not do well as corner markers on full-size regulation fields. I have purchased additional sets of these and will when I need replacements.

Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System
Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System
by Timothy A. Philpot
Price: $148.13
55 used & new from $114.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovered from a Young Intern, April 26, 2014
We had a mechanical engineering student in for the summer from one of the local colleges. I assigned him an analysis and he got through it pretty well. He showed me his references, and this was one of them. I marvel at the graphics that are in modern engineering textbooks. They make visualization of a problem much easier I think. The book is expensive, but I bit the bullet because I wanted to review shear flow. It was worth the money to me.

Advanced Tutorial for Creo Parametric Releases 1.0 & 2.0
Advanced Tutorial for Creo Parametric Releases 1.0 & 2.0
by Roger Toogood
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $53.49
14 used & new from $44.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed a Pro-E Refresher, April 26, 2014
I don't use Pro-E (Creo) on a regular basis... it can be months between sessions, which is difficult for a package as complex as Pro-E. I need help sometimes, and I don't find the help system that useful, so this book has helped me. There is an introductory book written by the same author that I have too. I think I would have preferred working through the introductory and advanced tutorial books on my own rather than spending the money on Pro-E's "official" training classes, particularly because there are two "power" Pro-E users in the office that I can go to for clarifications. So this book is on my credenza at work. Probably always will be as long as we are stuck with Pro-E.

Matrix Structural Analysis, With MASTAN2
Matrix Structural Analysis, With MASTAN2
by William McGuire
27 used & new from $139.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for my Professional Library, April 26, 2014
I found MASTAN2 on the web and used it for a quick-and-dirty project that I did not want to model in Pro-E. MASTAN2 worked great, easy to use, and matched some quick hand checks. So I bit the bullet and purchased the companion book and I was not disappointed. Lots of derivations and examples. I don't do a lot of matrix structural analysis, but this book has become my go-to source. I thank the author for writing it.

Little Giant 566713 PES-40-PW Statuary fountain pump 47GPH, 3 Watts
Little Giant 566713 PES-40-PW Statuary fountain pump 47GPH, 3 Watts
Price: $21.42
16 used & new from $13.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Used in Indoor Water Sculpture, April 26, 2014
This guy is small and fit in the sculpture in an unobtrusive manner. It has an adjustment knob on it that varies the output water volume... which is a feature that you do not find in most small pumps.

Polar T31 Coded Transmitter and Belt Set
Polar T31 Coded Transmitter and Belt Set
Price: $45.00
26 used & new from $21.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for One that Broke, April 26, 2014
I use this with my LifeFittness E-Trainer. I've had these in the past and they have worked great. This one does too. I'd buy another when this one wears out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4