Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Profile for Joe T. > Reviews

Joe T.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joe T. RSS Feed (Oregon)

Page: 1 | 2
Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Bottle with Stainless Loop Cap
Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Bottle with Stainless Loop Cap
Price: $24.95
10 used & new from $17.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to Love it - Oil Issue Could be Dangerous, June 14, 2015
When I saw this canteen, I instantly fell in love with it. I was looking for a high quality 64-oz canteen (non-plastic) to make it easy to get my daily allowance of water while working. When the canteen arrived, I cleaned it according to the instructions. I then filled it with water. I would use it to pour a glass and drink, knowing when I reached the bottom, I had acheived my daily go. Later on in the evening, when it got near the bottom, I poured a glass and noticed the water tasted a bit funny. I then smelled the canteen and there was a strong chemical/oil/wd-40 smell coming out of it. I instantly threw out the water.

Not wanting to part with the canteen, I cleaned it even more thorough than the instructions indicated. I used baking soda/vinegar/water. I shook it, let it sit, shook it more, etc. I then did a rigid dishwash cleaning of it. Next day... same taste and same smell. I then filled the canteen with vinegar, baking soda, and water and let it sit for 24 hours. I also thoroughly cleaned the cap with vinegar and baking soda. The morning after emptying it/washing it the smell was still there.

I came back to Amazon and checked the 1-star reviews. I then saw an array of people with the exact same issue. How could "Klean" Kanteen have such a dirty problem? The reason I started drinking a lot of water is because of recent health issues. Getting a chemical/oil residue in my drink is dangerous to an immune system like mine that I'm trying to repair. I've had Klean Kanteen products from years ago and they were great. So what happened here? Why are there so many 1-star reviews about this issue? And why has Klean Kanteen done nothing to address the problem?

After trying another full week of cleaning (without using the bottle), I finally gave up when the smell was still there. Unlike some who had the issue with their caps, mine was with the actual inside of the canteen.

I'm returning the product for a full refund. Until they can Klean up their act, I won't ever be buying from them again.

NCAA Oregon Ducks Glossy Pin
NCAA Oregon Ducks Glossy Pin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pin and Price to Show Your Oregon Ducks Pride!, March 9, 2015
- Nice Design.
- Excellent Price (got it for $4.99 with Prime Shipping)

- Would be nice if the "O" was Oregon Duck Yellow or Green. But that's a minor complaint.

More Info:
- The "O" is a very light mint green.
- The pin is at the top back. It's a straight back push pin that goes through your clothes, then you attach the round "clasp" to it.

I really like this pin. The price was great, making me think the pin would be cheap. But it's not. Overall, I'm impressed with it. So many NCAA licensed items are outrageously expensive. The price on this was perfect and it is deserving of 5 stars.

Matney Ocean Wave Light Projector, Multicolor
Matney Ocean Wave Light Projector, Multicolor
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $14.19
27 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of Aurora Master Ocean Wave Projector, March 9, 2015
- Great Price
- Looks Great in a Dark Room
- Creative. Excellent Mood Ambiance.

- Speaker isn't that good. Do not buy this for the speaker. Also, the speaker and lights do NOT interact.
- Does not come with wall plug. You have to buy a USB wall plug and use it if you don't want to use batteries.
- A little "jerky" at certain points.

Helpful Info:
- Unit will shut off after one hour, even if it is plugged into the wall.
- Access to battery case requires screwdriver for tiny screw.
- There are three buttons. The far left is to turn volume up (if device is plugged into it). The far left is to turn volume down. The middle controls the type of light display.
- The unit itself is very simplistic in design.
- If you watch the projection careful, every "rotation" of the motor in the device creates a very slight "jerk." And once you notice it, it can be a little annoying. But overall, it is a very enjoyable and relaxing display for a dark room.
- If you want to use it with batteries, it requires 4 AA batteries that are not included.

Rating Info:
- While the whole device may be deserving of 3 stars, the fact that it is priced so low boosted my rating to four stars. It is worth it at $10-$20, but not more. It is relaxing and cool. The design may be simplistic, but the results in a dark room are cool and fun.
- One star was knocked off for the slight "jerk" every rotation, the terrible speaker quality, and the lack of an actual wall plug.

Offered by O.C.G.
Price: $3.75
9 used & new from $0.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Item Not as Shown, January 27, 2015
The item advertised SHOWS and SAYS it has the screw off lid with handle. However, the one I received did not have the screw-off lid. Instead it had a permanent handle and no lid. I see that another reviewer had the same problem. I will be requesting a replacement so that I receive the item shown. Hopefully those who came here looking for the version with the screw off lid with handle will read these reviews first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Show and Use of Real Football Commentators. Nice Costumes Too!, March 3, 2014
This review is from: The Rebels (Amazon Instant Video)
When Amazon showed a bunch of clips of "upcoming pilots", one scene they showed was a monkey with a gun at a party. I said to a friend at the time, "I'm not interested in that show". Well, as it turns out that monkey was from The Rebels. And while I thought that scene was "too far out there", the rest of the Pilot was so good that it made me forget about the Monkey (btw, I concede that some people loved the monkey).

Some things I loved:

- That they use real NFL commentators.
- That the woman who now owns the team is somewhat clueless (i.e. calling uniforms "costumes"), yet determined to make it work.
- That a young inexperienced GM, who is hated by the players, could win them over with one very gutsy move.

My only complaint (monkey aside) is the excessive drug use. I may be naive, but I just can't see players having these huge "anything goes drug parties" when they obviously are drug tested. Nothing like losing 100% of your team to a drug test after one of these parties.

Some things I'd like to see WHEN this show gets picked up:

1) Another female character that knows A LOT about football (more than many of the players/owners) - maybe someone's daughter - to help bring a counter balance to the main female owner who knows very little.
2) More "public" displays from the main lead - i.e. would love to see this owner answering questions at a press conference.
3) I hope you don't make the team "too good, too quick". It's obvious the new owner has a lot to prove, but lets be realistic about what she has to work with. Winning a championship in the first season would take away that goal to look forward to.
4) Shedding the TV-MA rating for a TV-14 rating could go far in attracting an even bigger audience.

In short, I really hope The Replacements makes the cut and gets picked up by Amazon Originals. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Nature's Bounty Melatonin, 3 mg, 240 Tablets
Nature's Bounty Melatonin, 3 mg, 240 Tablets
Price: $8.89
15 used & new from $7.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - Smaller Doses Recommended, March 2, 2014
Just over a year ago I started having problems sleeping at night. After several months of having these problems, someone told me about "melatonin" and how it naturally supports the sleep cycle. So I went online and bought a brand that had 5mg per capsule. It worked great at getting me to sleep, but I found myself groggy in the morning. I figured a smaller dose would be better. So then I went with this brand - 3mg - and it worked much better. However, recently I've been cutting each pill into half and have had even better results (plus the bottle lasts twice as long).

In researching more, I came across an interesting melatonin article by Dr. Michael Breus (the Sleep Doctor) on Dr. Oz's Website, where he said: "According to research conducted at MIT, the correct dosage of melatonin for it to be effective is 0.3 - 1.0 mg. Many commercially available forms of melatonin are in 3 to 10 times the amount your body would need. In fact, there is some evidence that higher doses may be less effective."

Now I'll be cutting each pill into fourths.

A couple of notes:

- I've had people say you should do an "on/off cycle" with melatonin so that your body doesn't become accustom to the additional supply and lower its natural production. I'm researching this more to see if it is a problem.
- I've never been groggy with this brand (Nature's Bounty Melatonin).
- This brand is suitable for vegetarians.
- I'm going to try and alter my routine by taking only 1/4th at night and going off of it for a period of time with different "relaxation" techniques (tea, no caffeine within 5 hours of bedtime, reading, meditating, sleep music).
- The price for this Melatonin is GREAT.

I want to say that this has been a blessing for me. And having had restful nights thanks to Melatonin, I'm now focusing more on other things I can do to help promote a good night's sleep (i.e. no light in room, cell phone away from bed area, no drinks of any kind within 90 minutes of bedtime, etc.). My goal is not to rely on Melatonin daily, but rather only "as needed".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 10:17 PM PDT

Daruma Doll Paper-mache 3.75"tall
Daruma Doll Paper-mache 3.75"tall
Offered by Kyotoya
Price: $15.99
4 used & new from $11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars This Daruma Doll has Great Meaning, February 24, 2014
I originally saw this doll on an episode of “Go On” (was a great TV series, too bad it was cancelled) where it was referred to as a Japanese Goal Doll. I had never seen one before and absolutely loved the concept. So I started researching and found they are called Daruma dolls. To Amazon I went to make a purchase!

While Daruma dolls may have different purposes for a user, I decided to make the purpose of mine the same as in the “Go On” episode I watched – as a goal doll. You set a major goal or milestone you want to achieve, fill in the pupil of one eye, place it in clear view, and continue pursuing your goal so that you can fill in the other eye. By filling in the other eye, you’ve achieved the concept of “both eyes open”… or the awareness to successfully achieve your goal.

I would encourage you to study the concepts/insights/philosophies behind the Daruma dolls as there is much enlightenment to be gained. It gives you a greater appreciation for what the doll stands for.

This doll was perfect for me. Just the right size and flat enough on the bottom to sit on my desk without wobbling. For me, I wrote my goal on a small sticker and placed it on the bottom of the Daruma doll as a secondary reminder of what I am trying to attain. The constant “one pupil” staring at me is very effective at reminding me to get back on task. I really like this particular Daruma doll and will be buying more for future goals.

Good luck to you!

Full Circle Fresh Air Countertop Compost Collector, Green Slate
Full Circle Fresh Air Countertop Compost Collector, Green Slate
Price: $29.99
17 used & new from $22.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Sized Composter that Works Great, February 23, 2014
Prior to the Full Circle Compost Collector, I would use a large plastic container to stuff compost into. It was inconvenient, attracted knats/flies, and left a mess in the container every time I dumped it. After doing this for awhile, I finally caved in and decided to look for a compost collector to make composting “more convenient”. After a lot of research, this composter seemed to be the best buy.

Having not used any other composters, I can’t compare this composter to others, but I can share the upsides and downsides in my experience:

- Single button push releases lid, which has a spring to throw it open for quick access.
- The air flow is nice and combined with the bags, help control odor/knats.
- It’s not small like the container I used before, so I can go several days before having to remove the bag.
- Because it uses bio-degradable bags, the unit stays fairly clean.

- Have to buy bags (but it also makes for easy transport to compost recycling bin).
- The bags that come with the unit are OK, but a bit on the flimsy side. I use BioBags (3 Gallon Bags). The bags that come with the unit are only 2.5 Gallon and not as tough.
- Difficult to wash by hand.

- Check to make sure that your recycling center accepts meat bones/scraps and dairy products before using it for that.
- Buy better bags than the unit came with. I have found the 3 Gallon BioBags to work best. Plenty big for unit.
- You must use biodegradable bags with this unit. You can not use it without bags.

- Better method of holding the bio-degradable bags. While the bar does a good job of holding the bag, it can sometimes be hard to work with.

This is the second unit I bought. With the first one, the spring that helps open the lid broke after one year of use. But I love the Full Circle Compost Collector so much that I didn’t hesitate to buy another one. However, if the spring in this one gives out within a year, then I’ll be forced to change my ranking. But for now, it is definitely a great 5-star composting bin in my eyes.

Good luck and happy composting! Thanks for thinking of the environment. I’ll update any further experiences with this composter as needed.

Kensington Pro Fit Full-Size Mouse USB (K72369US)
Kensington Pro Fit Full-Size Mouse USB (K72369US)
Price: $13.95
84 used & new from $10.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mouse for Right-Handed People with Big Hands, February 23, 2014
Because I have big hands, I was looking for a mouse that would allow me to move it around without the bottom of my hand sliding on the desk surface. This was the second mouse I bought (first one didn’t work out too well) and I must say that I like it.

There’s nothing “revolutionary” about this mouse – it is what it is advertised as – a full-sized mouse (perfect for people like me with larger hands).

- Large mouse perfect for people with big hands.
- Smooth movement on screen even on non-mousepad surface.
- Nice area for thumb on left side with two buttons above thumb area that you can use to move “back” or “forward” in a browser (as an alternative to using the browser back and forward buttons).
- Mouse wheel “clicks” when moved allowing you to better control movement of scroll.
- The price.
- Button under scroll wheel allows you to change speed/movement rate of cursor.

- none so far, but will update review if any arise.

- mouse is wired so it requires a USB port.
- have seen that some people report it does not work well on Mac computers.
- mouse is clearly designed for right-handed people.
- The cord is between 5-6 feet long.
- This particular mouse is made for people with big hands. If you don’t have big hands, it won’t fit you comfortably.

Rive Orion Glass Water Bottle, 22-Ounce, Cobalt Blue Twist
Rive Orion Glass Water Bottle, 22-Ounce, Cobalt Blue Twist
Price: $6.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Rive Water Bottle Would be Perfect if Not for the Lid, February 23, 2014
I've been looking for a glass water bottle to use during the day as I'm not a big fan of plastic bottles and the chemicals they are made with. I was attracted to the Rive Orion Glass Water Bottle because of its design and because of the amount of water it holds (22-ounces). This could be a "perfect" water bottle if not for the lid. More on that in a bit. Here are the pros and cons:

- Strong and sturdy glass container.
- Nice silicon "sleeve" and design.
- Easy to fill with water/ice, etc. due to wide opening when lid is off.
- Holds 22-ounces.

The lid.

The reason for my three star review is the lid, responsible for the deduction of two stars. While I love the glass water bottle, the lid ruins the overall experience for me because:

1) Because of its complicated design, the lid has lots of areas that water can "hide in" and come out when you unscrew the lid. So it's important to be over a sink when you unscrew the lid.

2) This lid leaks. Call it "dribbling". As you can see from the photo of the product, the lid has two parts. The blue top and grey base. They are held together by a seam. Sometimes when drinking that seam will leak (or dribble drops of water on you). This is especially bad if you want to carry your bottle in a bag or purse. Water also sometimes leaks from the area where you screw the lid on.

(I've uploaded two top-view pictures of the lid)

I find it better to use this water bottle without the lid, but that basically makes it just a "glass". I think that Rive got too complicated with trying to design a "state of the art lid" and in the end it created more problems than it solved.

In the end, my experience is, "love the water bottle, but hate the lid". I will be looking for a different water bottle for daily use.

UPDATE (March 1, 2014):
I've been using this water bottle for a week now. However, after the third day I stopped using the lid. Now I use just the bottle without the lid (hopefully I don't ever knock it over). I'm still looking for "the perfect glass water bottle". The lid on this one needs to be redesigned for this bottle, then it will be a 5-star water bottle. Specifically I would recommend that Rive increase the flow of water to one's mouth, go with a much simpler lid design (that won't "trap" water that escapes when you open the lid), and make sure there is no way for it to leak. Don't get too creative with the lid - just make it work.

UPDATE (March 18, 2014):
I haven't found another water bottle to replace this one yet and I'm now using the lid again with a paper towel close by. :) I do want to clear up some possible confusion for people who buy this bottle as it is a mistake I initially made. The lid has a "high back" like a chair. As such, psychologically people may see that as the "back" of the lid. That's actually the "front" and where you are to supposed to drink from. And if you've tried it both ways (like me), you'll see it works much better this way. :)
Comment Comment | Permalink