Profile for mattaca > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mattaca RSS Feed (Boston, MA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP / Mac OS X / Linux (300 Mbps) [Discontinued Model]
Offered by Hi-Tech Media Inc
Price: $24.95
31 used & new from $7.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Range and speed not what I expected, September 14, 2013
I read some positive reviews about the range and speed of this router, but neither was not as strong as I hoped. We not only could not get the signal on the other end of our house, we noticed the router was markedly slower than our previous router (3 Mbps vs. 7 Mbps previously), even when in the same room as the router. Not sure the problem was here, but it just didn't perform! We returned it and will be getting something else.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 6:53 AM PDT

GMYLE Black Frosted Matte Rubber Coated Hard Case Cover for Apple 13.3" inches Macbook Pro Aluminum Unibody
Offered by gigacity_amn
Price: $10.98
4 used & new from $3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't even last 3 months!, June 1, 2013
I purchased this case because the rating was close to that of the more expensive Speck and InCase hardshell cases. I also had read reviews that said those cases were not very fingerprint- or scratch-resistant. I thought I might have better luck with this case, but boy was I wrong.

Not only does this case scratch and smudge easily, it breaks easily! I am always careful when setting down my laptop and have never dropped it. Still, just two months later, I noticed that both of the front corners had cracked. Now, a month later, pieces of plastic are breaking off at the corners, leaving jagged edges that scratch my wrists if I rub them the wrong way. Considering how careful I am with this thing, I can only surmise that this thing is partly made of eggshells.

This is a big DO NOT BUY. If you plan to use your laptop like...well...a laptop (moving it from one room to another, occasionally taking it places), this case will not even last you long enough to cover the cheap price.

Essential Statistics for Public Managers and Policy Analysts
Essential Statistics for Public Managers and Policy Analysts
by XiaoHu Wang
Price: $82.56
50 used & new from $53.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for readers with no stats background, February 17, 2013
This book does a great job of providing clear definitions and speaking to the reader in a way that is easy to understand. I have no background in statistics, but the writing is totally clear to me. Excellent resource.

Public Budgeting Systems
Public Budgeting Systems
by Robert D. Lee
Price: $89.56
87 used & new from $51.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Dry as a mouth full of saltines, February 17, 2013
I was assigned this book for a master's level budgeting class, and I can never read more than a few pages without wanting to find something else--ANYTHING ELSE--to do. This is not true of other textbooks I've had in this program. This writing is extremely dry and lacking concrete examples to help readers understand vague concepts. This book could have used a better editor.

Infant Optics DXR-5 2.4 GHz Digital Video Baby Monitor with Night Vision
Infant Optics DXR-5 2.4 GHz Digital Video Baby Monitor with Night Vision
Price: $99.06
56 used & new from $56.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems good at first, but BREAKS QUICKLY, January 9, 2013
We bought this monitor in April and by September we were having problems and had to get a new one from Infant Optics. Customer service was quick to honor the warranty, but we were without a monitor for about 10 days while we waited for the new one to arrive. It is now January and the new monitor will not hold a charge or stay on, even when plugged in. Time for another exchange! I have ZERO confidence that the third one they send us will last much longer. My only hope is that it will go OUT before April so we can get a fourth monitor to squeeze a few extra months out of our purchase.

Don't fall for the $300 retail price figure. This was always meant to be a $100 baby monitor, and it works like one. Spend the extra $50-100 and get a monitor that will last you more than four months!

Adobe InDesign CS/CS2 Breakthroughs
Adobe InDesign CS/CS2 Breakthroughs
by David Blatner
Price: $20.59
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Please release a book for CS4!, January 26, 2010
I used this book all the time when we were on CS and CS2. Very often when I would get stumped with a layout or production problem, this book had the answer. Now that we're up to CS4, though, this book needs an update! Still an excellent companion for the intermediate-advanced designer or production artist.

Gilead: A Novel
Gilead: A Novel
by Marilynne Robinson
168 used & new from $0.07

2.0 out of 5 stars A tedious follow-up to the brilliant Housekeeping - 2 1/2 stars, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Gilead: A Novel (Hardcover)
John Ames, the preacher-protagonist of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, remarks at one point that in all his reading, what he has learned most is that "some very tedious gentlemen have written books." Indeed.

Unlike the deliberately slow-paced narrative of Housekeeping, the epistolary Gilead drags in other, less successful ways. As the aging Ames writes to his son, he attempts to chronicle his own life and gives us glimpses of his father's and grandfather's, both preachers in their own right. But as the elderly do, he tells the story haphazardly, the first hundred pages consisting almost solely of discontinuous ponderings and pithy religious truths. Ames admits, "I sometimes almost forget my purpose in writing this," and the reader grudgingly agrees, starting to wonder if even Robinson believes it when Ames says, "it is hard to make people care about old things."

Not that he doesn't try. For a pastor--and the book is pastoral in more ways than one--Ames can sound obnoxiously self-important ("Often when someone saw the light burning in my study long into the night, it only meant I had fallen asleep in my chair"). His efforts at conjuring religious imagery are riddled with mixed metaphors that often fall short ("Mary Magdelene probably made an occasional casserole, whatever the ancient equivalent may have been. A mess of pottage, I suppose"). Though exceedingly eloquent throughout, he also cops out in his most revelatory moments ("If only I had the words to tell you"), leaving the reader unfulfilled. Like the mysteries of godliness, the book simply leaves us to wonder, if only on something far less significant.

Still, there is balm in Gilead. Though Ames' antagonist (and namesake) doesn't appear until ninety pages into the book, this plotline's parallels with the prodigal son work better than others, and his appearance gives the book a direction that allows it to explore its more successful themes of home and healing. Somehow despite his meanderings, Ames finally brings us to a place where we sympathize with his plight and want to hear his life lessons as much as he needs to share them. If only he had gotten us there sooner.

WHAT OUR MOTHERS DIDN'T TELL US: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
WHAT OUR MOTHERS DIDN'T TELL US: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
by Danielle Crittenden
Price: $14.36
203 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking read, June 28, 2005
I'm not going to go out on a limb here and say that this book is a work of scholarly genius. The comments made by others regarding Crittendon's less than thorough research may be true. But this book is not intended to "prove" that modern feminist beliefs are faulty, but rather to show that they tend to slight some of the primary desires women have. It makes a case for a career that has long been devalued: that of motherhood. It challenges your assumptions about what it means to be a successful woman. And in all these areas, it succeeds.

Crittendon uses a familiar tone with the reader, and one that I felt was effective. While not scholary, she speaks to the reader on their level, authoritatively taking a stance on something few women would dare to defend in our day and age. If nothing else, this book encourages you to reconsider the assumptions our generation has made, and consider that maybe our "unenlightened" mothers knew a thing or two after all. A very interesting and thought-provoking read.

Contact (Snap Case)
Contact (Snap Case)
DVD ~ Jodie Foster
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $8.58
214 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT A THRILLER, BUT A THINKER, February 16, 2004
This review is from: Contact (Snap Case) (DVD)
Off the bat, be aware that Contact is not an "alien" movie, but so much more. Within the first minute of this film, you know you are about to watch something completely original. (Just for the beginning this is worth watching, as it deserves the award of best opening sequence ever (with Memento a close second)) It focuses on the struggles that Ellie (Foster) faces as a scientist grappling with losses of those close to her, opposition from her superiors and peers, and her atheistic attitude toward life. The movie ultimately focuses on the concept that, whatever you want to call it, there is "more" out there.
Foster does a great job of acting, and while the movie runs long at 2 1/2 hours, it's an interesting and unique story. More dramatic than action-packed, Contact is touching in its telling and will make you think about the possibilities that lie out there.

Shakespeare in Love (Miramax Collector's Series)
Shakespeare in Love (Miramax Collector's Series)
DVD ~ Gwyneth Paltrow
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $5.90
229 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamlessly Written, Brilliant & Original, February 16, 2004
This movie may quite possibly be my favorite of all time, and for anyone familiar with Romeo & Juliet, you will love the humor, drama & insight this provides. With its award for best original screenplay, Mark Norman & Tom Stoppard raised the bar with this film, seamlessly incorporating the play Romeo & Juliet with the "events" from Shakespeare's life that inspired the play. While it is historical fiction, it's a great story to be told. I can't say enough about how much or how often I've enjoyed this film, and never tire at seeing the plots of this play within a play come together and make you appreciate Shakespeare more than ever.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4