Profile for Jack > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jack RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Johnny Mathis Live - Wonderful, Wonderful - A Gold 50th Anniversary Celebration
Johnny Mathis Live - Wonderful, Wonderful - A Gold 50th Anniversary Celebration
DVD ~ Johnny Mathis
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $23.55
16 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? IT'S JOHNNY MATHIS!, February 8, 2010
A fantastic concert. Mathis is so appealing in this show that it's amazing! He's personable and affable and of course, incredibly talented. My wife Louise and I have been Mathis fans forever so this is right up our alley. A terrific live performance with timeless songs and a magnificent band. Great additional features as well. Trust me: if you are fan of 1)Johnny Mathis or 2) great music or 3) great concerts, you don't want to miss this DVD. Get it. It's one of the best!

Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive (The Black Cat / Man Made Monster / Horror Island / Night Monster / Captive Wild Woman)
DVD ~ Basil Rathbone
Price: $14.38
29 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Universal Gold!, February 8, 2010
I had been searching for a copy of NIGHT MONSTER for years on DVD but to no avail so it was great when Universal released it along with 4 other titles. Although none of these films reached the iconic status of the legendary Universal movies that featured the Wolfman, Dracula, etc. they are nevertheless, snappy little films with enough style and substance to be very enjoyable, esp is you like the classic black & white Universal tradition of old-fashioned horror. And the quality is surprisingly good. Well worth the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2010 4:37 PM PDT

The Road to Lourdes and Other Miracles of Faith
The Road to Lourdes and Other Miracles of Faith
DVD ~ Robert Brubaker
Price: $6.99
31 used & new from $2.29

5.0 out of 5 stars The great Loretta Young, February 8, 2010
Having grown up in a family that never missed an episode of THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW and having had quite a crush on the actress as an adolescent, I was thrilled when this was released on DVD. Considering the age of the show, it's in very good shape and the documentary features are very enlightening but it could have been a little easier to navigate thru the programs. But the series' writing and excellent performances can't be diminished. Wonderful.

Barry Manilow: Songs From The Seventies
Barry Manilow: Songs From The Seventies
DVD ~ Barry Manilow
14 used & new from $3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifically entertaining!!!, February 8, 2010
If you are a Manilow fan, as my wife and I are, and especially if you love '70s music, as we do (we dated and were married in the 70s), you simply cannot go wrong with this DVD concert. Barry is in fine form and incredibly enthusiastic as is the audience (we know it's probably an invited audience but who cares - the audience is attractive and fun to watch watching Barry). Excellent audio and video quality. Even if you are not necessarily a Manilow fan, one would still have to appreciate the great craftsmanship that is apparent here throughout. A definite concert must-have.

Ring Christmas Bells
Ring Christmas Bells
DVD ~ Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Price: $19.98
17 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Christmas Concert!, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Ring Christmas Bells (DVD)
I was hesitant about purchasing this concert but my wife and I love Brian Stokes Mitchell and figured even if we only liked his numbers, it would still be worth the price. However, in addition to enjoying Mitchell's songs, we were pleasantly surprised to discover that the rest of the concert was equally as good. Brilliant spectacle, fantastic sound, top-notch quality, a joyous celebration of Christmas throughout! Unexpectedly, this turned out to be the Christmas DVD we shared with all of our guests throughout the Christmas season. Also: excellent documentary features. Highly recommended.

Sandi Patty Christmas Live (CD/DVD)
Sandi Patty Christmas Live (CD/DVD)
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $5.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Great talent but..., February 8, 2010
Nothing wrong with Ms. Patty's performance but this DVD does not have chapter stops! Although we have enjoyed this concert very much, had I known there were no chapter stops or song selections, I would not have ordered this. I really, really feel that Amazon.com should include this information in the product description, esp for a concert or musical performance. I encountered this before on the JEKYLL & HYDE Dvd (the Bway musical)but a few years later, they re-released it with chapter selections (of course, this required me to purchase the product twice!).

Replacement Battery for Panasonic , Leica works with Panasonic Lumix DMC-L, DMC-LC Series, Leica DIGILUX 1, 2
Price: $10.42
32 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product; excellent value., February 8, 2010
When my battery died in my Panasonic camera, I went to WalMart, Target and 2 Radio Shacks and was told that this particular battery was no longer manufactured and that I could only use a Panasonic battery. I asked a Radio Shack rep. how much it was selling for when they stocked them and he told me about $60. After giving up on finding a battery, I gave it one last shot by trying Amazon.com and lo and behold I found this Lenmar battery equivalent to the Panasonic battery. I received it very quickly and have been using it since then. It works absolutely perfectly and it was under $18! I was very skeptical about using an equivalent battery since I was told by the RS employee that it probably wouldn't work but I'm happy to report it is exactly what I needed. Highly recommnded.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2010 4:42 PM PDT

A Christmas Carol (Ultimate Collector's Edition)
A Christmas Carol (Ultimate Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Alastair Sim
22 used & new from $3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Color, black and white, black and blue...great in any format!, November 9, 2009
I love this movie in its original black and white. My opinion, without doubt, the best of all the filmed CHRISTMAS CAROLS. Alastair Sim is the Scrooge for the ages. So the question is, does colorization make this film better or improve it in any way? The answer is no. It can't be improved because it's already perfect. But colorization certainly does add an element of fun in watching it after repeated b&w viewings. And if colorization gets younger viewers to watch this wonderful movie, than it's more than a gimmick. It's a tool to encourage those not familiar with the film classics to give them a look.
As far as the actual colorization goes, I really don't see much improvement in the process in all the years it's been around. Having said that, this film sort of lends itself to the process however because of the locale and nature of the storytelling so the faded, less than crisp colors don't detract from the picture and can almost seem like they might belong. More important than the colorization, is the added feature in this package of the widescreen presentation of the black and white version which looks terrific!
So if you are a fan of the movie and would like to see what it looks like colorized (and I admit I always do like to see the colorization of the classics just for the fun of it) or even if you would like to see the b&w version in widescreem (I'm really not sure how they achieved this cause it wasn't filmed in widescreen but looks here like it really was: no distortion or zoom-like cutoffs at all!) or if you are a collector of anything A CHRISTMAS CAROL, then I happily recommend this version to you. Happy Holidays!
PS: For us collectors of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, this packaging is pretty nifty, too!

Liza With A "Z"
Liza With A "Z"
DVD ~ Liza Minnelli
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $17.24
16 used & new from $7.27

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best TV Concert Ever!, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Liza With A "Z" (DVD)
My wife and I got married the same year of this concert: LIZA WITH A Z. It was one of the first things we watched together on TV as a married couple so it has extra special significance for us. We were (and continue to be) big fans of Liza Minnelli. It started with me in the 60s: I was an usher at the Alvin Theatre on Bway (now renamed the Neil Simon) when Minnelli had her first Bway triumph in FLORA THE RED MENACE. I was amazed how at each and every performance, she gave 100% and even when the show was winding down and not drawing big crowds (it was a terribly underrated show for its time), Liza still performed as though she were appearing in front of the Queen at Buckingham Palace. What a pro! We then followed her career from her sensational concert at the Winter Garden to her nightclub appearances at the Waldorf-Astoria, to her stepping in for an ailing Gwen Verdon in CHICAGO to her unusual but no less brilliant musical/cabaret show THE ACT.
LIZA WITH A Z is a truly outstanding TV Concert. In terms of music selection, art direction, choreography, etc. it is a marriage of the some of the greatest pros in the theatre at that time. It was a time of everyone who was involved being at the pinnacle of their talents. It is doubtful that we will ever see another concert made for TV (as opposed to a concert performed live in a giant stadium somewhere and then filmed or taped for television) that is quite as excellent in every department at LIZA WITH A Z. It's a genuine treat to be able to sit back after all these years and watch this concert and realize that they still haven't done it better since! It's still the best!

Chess in Concert
Chess in Concert
DVD ~ Josh Groban
Price: $13.99
45 used & new from $9.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, moving production!, June 19, 2009
This review is from: Chess in Concert (DVD)
Having only been familiar with the concept and cast albums and loving the score, I never really understood the storyline which seemed to change from production to production. With this amazing concert, it all becomes clear and once again proves the old adage: the play's the thing. All great musicals have great stories (GYPSY, WEST SIDE STORY, MISS SAIGON to name just a few). Now, finally seeing the work as a whole, I could fully appreciate the entire production. And what a production it is: I personally thought the cast was perfect right down to the smallest part and must say, my wife and I were extremely impressed with Josh Groban's performance. He has never sounded better and his acting was wonderful. Very natural and believable. Actually we thought everyone was above par in the acting department considering how difficult it can be to "act" in a concert form. Technically, everything was excellent. This is a brilliant concert from start to finish. One that we will watch repeatedly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5