Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for John Sohl > Reviews

Browse

John Sohl's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Sohl RSS Feed (Ogden, UT)

Delta 75009WH Universal Showering Components, Full Spray Push Button Hand Shower, White
Price: $10.17
13 used & new from $8.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this shower head, November 14, 2014
I have now had this for 3 months. Works great. I actually love that it doesn't completely shut off when I valve it off with the push button. Having a slow trickle keeps the water warm when it comes back on again.
I also like that it self drains the head in about 20 or 30 seconds after you turn off the shower (at the usual wall mounted valve). My previous head would drip for a few hours which made wiping down the shower a wasted effort. This unit will drain a few seconds faster if you tip it up, but you don't need to.
I also like the little rubber outlet jets for the spray. We have moderately hard water and I have to soak a lot of our things in vinegar every few months. With this shower head I can just run my fingers around the head flexing the rubber tips. Takes a few seconds and all the hard water scale build up is gone. Sweet.
Finally, the spray pattern is pleasant to stand under. No hard streams and not a weak drizzle.
If I get around to measuring the flow rate carefully someday I'll come back and post the results, but it does seem to be just a bit above 2 gpm as advertised. (I have a pressure regulator on my home input that regulates to 50 psi.) I have stoppered the shower drain while showering and timed the fill of the shower "tub" and 2.0 to 2.5 gpm would be a pretty accurate assessment.

Delta Faucet U4002-PK Universal Showering Components Pin Mount Swivel Connector for Handshower, Chrome
Price: $9.04
19 used & new from $5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars It is an exact replacement for the one that had failed and was easy to install, November 14, 2014
Does exactly what it is supposed to do. It is an exact replacement for the one that had failed and was easy to install.
I didn't give it five stars only because it is just a simple device that does what it is supposed to do. Now if it made my morning coffee too, well, then 5 stars it would get!

Proxxon 37080 Hot Wire Cutter THERMOCUT
Proxxon 37080 Hot Wire Cutter THERMOCUT
Price: $110.20
13 used & new from $91.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts clean, works great, August 29, 2010
I bought this to make cases out of foam for high altitude balloons. I need clean cuts that are easy to bond together that will hold up in the rigors of near space and a drop to the ground from 100,000 feet under a small parachute. Needless to say, I need clean cuts and I have to make the parts with precision. This hot wire cutter does exactly what I need and it is fast.
I have tried it on open cell foam, rigid blue foam panels and white Styrofoam. It takes only a moment with a test piece to find the right temperature and speed for a clean cut then you are ready to go for it with your actual piece. The temperature adjusts rapidly (instantaneously for all practical purposes) so it is easy to determine the settings.
The cuts it makes are cleaner than the cuts that are the factory made edges. So much so that I now just plan a little extra material so that I can trim a tiny bit off the factory edge on a foam panel so that I can get a really nice smooth and sealed edge.
The miter/guide is a bit finicky but works OK. If you are not careful it can slip and give you a cut that is not straight. The key thing is to make sure it is tight.
As with any tool you need to plan to spend a bit of time doing some practice cuts when you first get it so that you can get a sense of how it works.
Summary: I love it. It works great and is fun to use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 1:09 PM PST

Black Diamond Crampon Bag, Orange
Black Diamond Crampon Bag, Orange
Offered by KS Rescue
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $19.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to do., July 3, 2010
This review is from: Black Diamond Crampon Bag (Sports)
I used to use the rubber tip protectors but it was a pain to push 24 of these on (12 per crampon) each time I finished using my crampons, especially with gloves on. With this I can just mate the two crampons together (points facing points) and plop them into the bag. With it clipped to the outside of my pack I can quickly put my crampons on or remove them. With the little rubber point protectors I would often avoid changing out my crampons because I didn't want to deal with it.
The material seems strong enough and I like the draining mesh front. There are multiple ways to clip it to your pack.
I only gave it for stars because it is not an "exciting" or "fantastic" product: it is just a bag after all. It does what it is supposed to do and it does it well. If I had any complaints it would be that I'd like to add a couple of loops to the bottom edges of the bag rather than just down the middle of the back face. Seems to me like it would be slightly easier to clip it to your pack this way and would be less likely to bounce and swing around.
So far I have used it on one trip (ice climbing and traveling on glaciers near Juneau) and I liked it much better than my previous method of protecting everything from the crampon points. In fact, I plan to by a second bag for my son's crampons.

11.1V (Compatible with 10.8V) 4400MAH 6-cell Laptop Modular Bay battery For Dell Inspiron 8500, 8600, 500m, 600m,Dell Precision M20, M60, M65, M2300, M4300, Dell Latitude D420, D500, D510, D520, D531N, D600, D610, D620, D630, D630N, D800, D810, D820, D830, D830N (Silver Gray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, exactly as expected, July 3, 2010
I love my (now very old) Dell 600m laptop. It does what I need and is light weight. It already has pretty good battery life but I wanted more for travels. This battery fits in the bay were the CD/DVD drive normally lives. I just finished a three week trip including many hours on planes and giving presentations. With the monitor brightness turned down the combination of this secondary battery and the main battery results in well over 6 hours of heavy use.
I was doing a lot of editing of things like PowerPoint presentations, video, graphics, email, and programming in C++. I was also surfing the web in airports and conference rooms. When I could, I plugged in, but didn't really need to. I never plugged in during 4 hours of presentations that I gave back to back at the conference. When I finished my talks I still had something like 50% of my battery life remaining. The point is that I was using the hard drive a lot, the WiFi and lots of CPU cycles and still got excellent battery life. Far and away the biggest drain on the battery is the screen brightness. Keep that down and this combination of two batteries is really deluxe and it is not all that heavy.
I never fully drained the two batteries even in each of the two full days of bouncing around in airports so I can't report on an exact amount of time that they last. At one point I did get down to just a few percent of power left, but that was after not plugging in for two days while doing a fair amount of intermittent use of the laptop with the screen at various brightness levels.
NOTE: Everyone says that you must purchase the more powerful charging brick. Since my old power supply died at the same time that I replaced the battery and added this second battery I cannot attest to how well it charges with the 65W supply.
For what it is worth, the way the batteries are used is that the laptop runs on the secondary battery first until it is drained then starts running on the primary battery. This is excellent because it allows you to use the CD/DVD drive if you need to and you will know that your primary battery is as strong as it can be when you swap the secondary battery for the drive in the bay.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique design, works great., June 24, 2005
A friend gave me one to try and I immediately thought of my aging mother. She has advanced arthritis and her hand shakes. It is so bad that she uses two hands to hold a pen and the result is very shaky. Her mind (at nearly 90 years old) is not as sharp any more and she learned how to use this pen in just a minute or two. The first time she tried to write anything with it was amazing. She used only one hand and produced a signature that was easily readable and nice and neat.

She has been using it for word puzzles and is making nice neat boxes and letters. She wants more and now so do I. (I'm hoping it will ease my carpel tunnel problems.)

My only gripe is that they only come in one ink color.

Advanced LabVIEW Labs
Advanced LabVIEW Labs
by John Essick
38 used & new from $0.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but dated, October 14, 2004
This review is from: Advanced LabVIEW Labs (Paperback)
As all the other reviewers have noted, this is an excellent book. I used it for a class I taught on LabVIEW and both the students and I liked the book. The problem is that it was written for LabVIEW 5. There is a 32 page online update available for the many changes between version 5 and 6.1 but that was a pain and even that is now two years out of date. (To get it, do a Google search for "John Essick" then go to his home page and follow the obvious link.) You had to keep remembering to refer to the update list or you had to go through the book and make notes that would remind you to see the updates.

This is a wonderful book. But as of this review LabVIEW 7 is now the standard version and this book is now two versions out of date. I would be thrilled if Essick would write an updated version.

When I learned LabVIEW I used 3 or 4 different books (along with the poor quality manual that came with the original software) and Advanced LabVIEW Labs was a godsend. It taught me the software in language ment for scientists and I immediately connected with it. I'm sorry that I can no longer use it for my class and am now looking for a newer book.