Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for J. Chen > Reviews

Browse

J. Chen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chen RSS Feed (Yorktown VA)

Hollaback Girl 1
Hollaback Girl 1
44 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars You Either Hate It Or Love It, December 29, 2005
This review is from: Hollaback Girl 1 (Audio CD)
I heard this song on the radio the first time many months ago (and then for months and months it's been played nonstop). I instantly hated it from the horrendous beat to the fact that Gwen Stefani is a 35 year old dressed up as a cheerleader with pom-poms and about 95% of the song is spent on the chorus "I ain't no hollaback girl" or "This s*** is bananas" section. Pharell is a master producer and I chuckled because I thought that even the Neptunes can produce an occasional flop. To my horror this song became the number one single for multiple weeks and became the most successful single of the entire summer (maybe even the entire year). I don't see what people like about this song but apparently there is something I'm missing. Like I said you either hate it or love it.

Apple iPod 30 GB 5th Generation (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Apple iPod 30 GB 5th Generation (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
61 used & new from $64.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Black 30 Gig ipod video, December 20, 2005
I'm extremely satisfied and excited with the new ipod video. This has been very hyped and it's extremely difficult to get one before Christmas so if you do congratulations. The new ipod comes in 30G or 60G varieties and black and white. For me black was the only one available and it really didn't matter to me much. Here are a few things I noticed

APPEARANCE

It's beautiful simple as that. The major difference between ipods and other competetitors such as Zen and Iriver is the simple and elegant apppearance of the ipod and the easy to use interface. The new ipod based on pictures looks wider and the larger LCD screen makes it seem somewhat awkward looking. However, I was pleasantly suprised when I got one in my hands. The new ipod is much thinner and no wider or longer than the previous models, despite seeming so in pictures. The ipod photos could be stood upright from the ground, but the new ones are so thing they cannot stand on its side. The screen is small but it really supports videos just fine. You don't need to put it extremely close to your face to view it well. Although I'm not a tech wizard about videos, the resolution and clarity of the videos seems great to me especially with such a small screen.

MAJOR DIFFERENCES

There is more space for the same money than previous models, which is a definite plus. The addition of black as an optional color is probably a plus for many cutomers. The size is smaller and supposedly the sound is crisper with less noise from the hard drive, I personally can't tell the difference. Also there is the stopwatch and screen combination lock features that were available in the nano and the battery life is nicely extended (20 hours of music playback on the 60 gig ipod). The big difference is video, which is somewhat complicated to use. You must mantain a MPEG-4 format with a specific resolution limit to be converted onto your ipod. This requires either QuickTimePro, which costs money or downloading Videora Ipod Converter on the Internet, which I did and it works brilliantly on my computer. Within minutes I had a movie and some music videos downloaded onto my ipod. I definetly reccomend checking that out.

SCRATCHES

I know this is a big concern for everyone with the ipod. My previous ipod was my first and I purchased a silicon case with cutouts for the screen and scroll wheel for only 5 dollars. Within a week it was scratched up miserably and the screen had many large scars. So this was a huge concern for me. The case supplied with the ipod is not really a case, but a small velvet sleeve for the ipod. Obviously you can't see the movie if your screen is covered up and you need to remove the case in order to plug it into an adapter or computer, so the sleeve will be removed. I reccomend buying a good durable case with a screen protector. Although I haven't gotten any scratches on mine, it's because I have been extremely careful with my ipod and have only had it for about a week. However, despite this I still think the new ipods are slightly less prone to scratches than the infamous nanos.

APPLIANCES

It no longer comes with an AC adapter so if you don't have one from previous ipod purchases, it sucks because you have to spend 30 dollars to get one unless you just keep it charged to your computer, which I don't do. Also there is no dock but there wasn't one for the ipod photos and I don't really find it that useful. As usual there is the headphones and the Itunes software in the box.

WORTH UPGRADING?

If your ipod is aging and you really want a new one, I'd say go for it. But if the video function isn't useful to you, and your old Ipod is working fine for you, then I don't suggest upgrading. And knowing ipod, in a year or two there will be a new model that you'll envy for anyways. But if your not upgrading from a previous model and want an MP3 player, I DEFINETLY reccommend the ipod video. It's reliable for me and works like a charm.

Woman at Point Zero
Woman at Point Zero
by Nawal El Saadawi
112 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Sad Little Book, July 22, 2005
This review is from: Woman at Point Zero (Paperback)
Like many others, this book was one of our mandatory reads for school. However it is a tiny little book barely over 100 pages. Yet it is terribly sad and opens the reader to the many injustices of the world. It follows an Egyptian woman named Fridaul growing up in a peasent/farming enviroment to becoming a prostitute in Cairo. In this journey she encounters multitudes of deceptive and generally horrible people. Fridaus grows up naive and unaware she is taken advantage up and eventually becomes hardened by all the hardships she faces. This is a terrific book, a quick read, and one that will really leave a mark.