Profile for Gordon Banks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gordon Banks RSS Feed (Amity, OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR with MC30 Type connection (Nikon D200, D300, D300s, D700, D800, D800E, D1, D2, D3, D3x, D3s, D4) - Transmitter and Receiver Set
Offered by Legio Aerium
Price: $67.47
3 used & new from $59.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Would require manual intervention to disengage, April 9, 2014
It was able to fire the shutter remotely, but then it would not disengage and allow display of the photos on the screen unless I pushed the little button on the front to reset it again. It made it a pain to use. It probably was a flaw in the electronics of my particular unit, but it does serve to indicate a quality control problem.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 1:31 PM PDT

Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ethical food for thought., January 17, 2014
Did Anna Pou and the other medical workers cross an ethical line and euthanize DNR patients who were suffering in their derelict hospital following the Katrina disaster? Or we're they just trying to provide comfort care? Fink doesn't answer this question, which is good. She provides an account of the ordeal in the aftermath of the hurricane and then the legal aftermath when the workers were arrested for murder. I think she did a good job of documenting the stressful conditions under which we might not make the same decisions as under ordinary conditions as well as highlighting the ethical issues involved. Judgement is left to the reader.

EZOPower Olympus BLN-1/ BLN1 Full-Decoded Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery for Olympus PEN E-P5, OM-D E-M1 EM1 EM-5 E-M5 Digital Camera

1.0 out of 5 stars Went belly up., August 24, 2013
Thought I would save by not paying Olympus $50 for this little battery, but it was a mistake. It lasted about 1 year. Should last longer than that.

Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet
Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet
Offered by Business Management Services, LLC
Price: $242.99
136 used & new from $163.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite ready for prime time?, August 9, 2013
GPS is flaky, and apparently it is not just mine, many others are reporting it.
Screen looks quite nice, better than iPad mini.
Seems slow starting up, slower than iPad.
Android still does not have the sophistication of iOS, but it is improving.
Good value, once they fix the GPS bug.

Round 2: I returned the 1st tablet to Amazon, and they replaced it with another one, but the GPS was not working on this one either. Apparently, the problem is with firmware, and Google this week (August 22, 2013) released a fix in the form of a new system update, JSS15Q. The next problem I faced in fixing my tablet was that unlike Apple, Google can take months to roll the updates out to all the tablets. Just triggering settings > check for update reports that the tablet is up to date, when it really isn't. Fortunately, on the Internet I found a method to FORCE the tablet to update the firmware to the latest version. Since Amazon doesn't permit URLs in reviews, I can't tell you where to find it, but if you do a Google search with terms android, force and update, you will find it at the lifehacker website. I won't put the steps to update here, but it is quite simple and worked on the first try for me. My GPS worked and I am happy with the Nexus. So far, I haven't found any other problems with the new Nexus, but I still give it a three star review because Google/Asus should certainly have done enough testing to find out that the GPS didn't work before releasing the tablet. End users should not have to fix their own tablet by going to Google forums and finding out how to do it themselves. So be warned, if you want to buy this tablet, it is a nice one, but be prepared to fix it.

Incidentally, calling Google support didn't help. They could confirm that my GPS wasn't working, and suggested I send it in for warranty repair, but they would not admit there was any problem with the Nexus in general, despite there being hundreds of postings on their forum about the GPS problem. Finally, last week, someone from Google came onto the forum and said they were releasing the update that should fix the GPS, but until then, all was silent. I have to admit that this is standard corporate policy, not just with Google (not admitting faults with their product until forced).

Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black) (2012 Model)
Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black) (2012 Model)
Offered by PlatinumBuys
17 used & new from $69.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Went belly-up one month out of warranty., July 4, 2013
It worked fine when I first got it. Nice features and picture. But it died one month after the warranty expired. I don't know how often that happens with this unit, but felt I needed to report it.

Mountainsmith Borealis AT Recycled Camera Bag, Black
Mountainsmith Borealis AT Recycled Camera Bag, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I want, December 22, 2012
This pack will hold a large DSLR (my D800) and several lenses, as well as a jacket, lunch, as many accessories as you should need for outdoor photography, and has a tripod carrier on the back. It seems to be well made and I can't see needing anything more in a camera pack.

SIRUI T-1205X 5-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod
SIRUI T-1205X 5-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod
Offered by bakya's
Price: $276.95
16 used & new from $276.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice hiking tripod, December 22, 2012
This is the smallest tripod I've seen that is solid enough to actually use in the field, in my opinion. It folds very small and will fit in most daypacks. Of course, it doesn't bring the camera to eye-level for a 6 footer like me, but it does an adequate job of holding the camera still. It is well made and I've not had any mechanical problems with it.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling (Black)
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling (Black)
Price: $20.15
38 used & new from $15.41

5.0 out of 5 stars OP/TECH has a good system for carrying your camera, December 22, 2012
OP/TECH has a good system for carrying your camera by the strap lugs rather than by the tripod mount like other (more expensive) systems. I think it is more likely that your expensive camera will come loose from the tripod mount and drop than from the strap lugs. You can buy adapters to use your pack straps or buy an OP/TECH harness, or this neck strap if you prefer, and then just have a set of connectors for each of your cameras allowing them to use all of the OP/TECH options.

OP/TECH USA System Connector - Reporter/Backpack
OP/TECH USA System Connector - Reporter/Backpack
Price: $8.95
8 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good system for carrying your camera, December 22, 2012
OP/TECH has a good system for carrying your camera by the strap lugs rather than by the tripod mount like other (more expensive) systems. I think it is more likely that your expensive camera will come loose from the tripod mount and drop than from the strap lugs. You can use your pack straps or buy an OP/TECH harness, or just a regular neck strap if you prefer, and then just have a set of connectors for each of your cameras allowing them to use all of the OP/TECH options.

Think Tank Speed Freak V2.0 Waist Pack
Think Tank Speed Freak V2.0 Waist Pack
Offered by Service Photo, Inc.
Price: $159.75
22 used & new from $159.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Tank makes excellent quality bags, December 22, 2012
I had the Speed Demon which I used with my D90, but when I got the D800, it didn't fit very well, so I upgraded to this model. It is considerably larger than the Speed Demon. Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of all three of the Think Tank bags in the same picture, so it is hard to judge the sizes. The Speed Freak will handle the D800 and 2 lenses, as well as small accessories and filters in the outside pockets. I've seen the Speed Racer and I think it is a big too large unless you have a battery grip attached to your DSLR or like to carry a long zoom mounted to the body. The reason I like these bags is that you can have your camera right in front of you while hiking or walking around rather than having it in a backpack. It is much quicker to just pop it in and out of the waist bag than to have to take off the pack, open it up, and then have to restow the camera. A holster could do that, but with these bags, you have more gear in front of you if you want to change lenses or use a filter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4