Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD
Profile for V. Ephrem > Reviews

V. Ephrem's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

V. Ephrem "V. Ephrem" RSS Feed (Florida)

Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
by Jonathan Gruber
Price: $9.13
164 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased?, January 9, 2012
If you want the proponent's perspective - here it is. If you want the adversarial perspective, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a fair, unbiased assessment, this is also not what you are looking for. Very obviously a spin with only consideration of the possibilities for improvement, without consideration of any of the legitimate concerns. If the intetion of this book is to "sing to the choir" of proponents, and arm them with shallow sound bites, then mission accomplished. This propaganda, however, is so transparent that it should not be taken seriously by anyone who is looking for a fair and balanced consideration of these important issues.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 3:19 PM PDT

Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version,  Catholic Edition (Premium Ultrasoft Black)
Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (Premium Ultrasoft Black)
by (RSV-CE)
Edition: Imitation Leather
12 used & new from $299.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Catholic Red-Letter Bible - Perfectly Balanced Qualities, February 24, 2011
This bible is absolutely beautiful. I actually purchased both the Large Print Genuine Leather version, and the regular print "Ultra Soft" simulated leather version. For me, the Large Print edition effectively balances a good size print without making the bible too bulky. The bible's size is less than standard, but larger than compact, and is not too thick ... easily carried in the palm of your hand.

If you have researched, you have likely concluded that the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) is the most widely accepted and accurate Catholic translation. I have had incredible difficulty finding a red-letter version of an RSV-CE, or RSV-CE 2nd Edition (Ignatius), and this one seems to do it all ... good size, high quality construction. This bible lies flat, has excellent print size (NOT GIANT), beautiful leather cover with an understated, imprint in the oover that is very tasteful. (I am 51 years old and have good long-range vision, but require glasses for reading.) The few selected paintings in the back of the bible are beautiful and classic. The maps are clear and bright, there is a nice gold ribbon page marker. AND AGAIN, it is in the most widely accepted and authoritative catholic translation that reads with a perfect balance between the traditional, classic poetic language you grew up with and high readability / understandability. The paper quality is fine, but probably as a sacrifice to unwieldy size, just a little thin. This does not create a problem with reading as the words from the back of the page do not show through (unless you were to hold it up to the light). I believe that this relates to my only minimal complaint. The red-letter print is a little light, and not as bold, and easily read as the darker red of the KJV bibles I have experienced. My guess is that the bolder red ink would've bled through the slightly thinner paper used in this edition ... but this is just my guess. Ultimately, I think I would've been willing to sacrifice a slightly thicker bible for darker red print.

The leather cover, as I said, is beautiful, and if ordering directly from St. Benedict Press, can have a custom inscription (or they will inscribe your bible for about $19 which includes shipping if you purchase it elsewhere). IF you are looking to save a few dollars, I also purchased a "Premium Ultra-Soft" cover (simulated leather) version that I will have to concede actually felt and looked more like leather than the Genuine Leather version. The simulated leather is a little more supple, and has an incredibly smooth, and velvety feel, without feeling like suede. I would highly recommend both versions. How many bibles have you said "Ooooh" when you felt the cover ... well, my wife did when she felt the "Ultra Soft", although she was also very impressed with the Genuine Leather. I would also like to mention that the version purchased for my sons is NOT the large print edition, and is a little smaller, and very easily carried, and is fine for youthful eyes, or corrected vision. Again, both are so well balanced between size, readability and quality that you can't go wrong.

In conclusion, I believe this bible has EVERY feature that most are looking for in a reasonably priced, heirloom bible ... easy-to-read print ... especially the Large Print edition, very high quality construction and materials, and a wonderful feel/size in your hand ... I just love carrying it to church or reaching for it at bedtime. It feels as though it will last forever, and if given as a gift, know that the recipient will certainly feel they have received a special gift. As mentioned above, my only recommendation to St. Benedict Press would be to make the red-letter print bolder.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Expensive Item, but not perfect, November 26, 2009
I have now owned this item for a little over a year. I won't spend a ton of time echoing the comments about high quality leather ... it is all true. The carry handle has very heavy, comfortable padding. The CINCH straps seem to be showing the most wear, and if anything goes, I would expect it to be the CINCH straps. Initially I was more worried about the cinch straps, but after a year, I think they'll be OK. The SHOULDER BACKPACK straps are fairly comfortable, but a little bulky. My intention in purchasing this item was to have something that looked professional, and that I could also carry to work as a backpack on days I ride my motorcycle. The SHOULDER BACKPACK straps, as someone else noted, are kind of bulky, and not as comfortable and ergonomic as they might be ... I'd suggest two separate shoulder straps rather than a single strap that runs through a D-ring in the top center ... it would be more comfortable, stable, and much easier to get on and off. Also, I purchased the Medium size based on measurements provided, but you should know that the thickness and bulkiness of the leather and interior pockets and such, takes up space, making the utility smaller than you might guess with the dimensions and I regret not getting the Large size. My medium size will fit "Legal" sized files, but they tend to get smashed on the ends and I have to force the legal files in ... the extra couple of inches for the large would prevent this. If you don't carry a long laptop, or legal-sized files, the width of the Medium would probably be fine. As a backpack, and given the dimension and weight differences compared to my Medium, I can't imagine the XL being very comfortable or stable, but the Large would probably be fine. I guess the point of these comments is that if you really intend to use this as a BACKPACK very often, you may want to look for a more comfortable option .... if you are primarily looking for a BRIEFCASE that you can occassionally carry as a backpack, then this should be great. As a backpack, it rides a little high on the shoulders, again, as a function of the single, central D-ring mounted shoulder straps. Some other notes ... I have a smaller, much less expensive, lighter briefcase that I use when I have a small load to carry ... the point being that if you have a small load, it does seem funny to carry such a substantial piece of leather for a couple of files. If you generally carry a heavy load, then this is not an issue. Also, the stability is such that the backpack tends to fall backward unless you lean it against something (a small nit), and the "distressing" of the leather looks as if it were done by someone scratching with a fingernail. All in all, this bag has excellent quality, and is a head-turner, but with a couple of ergonomic drawbacks, and I don't use it as much as I thought due to it's bulkiness. I would purchase again, but in the Large size.

Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap, 2.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap, 2.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Price: $23.88
6 used & new from $15.37

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Stinky, October 1, 2009
I read a previous review claiming that this shave cream is "stinky", and while I recognize that "stinky" is very subjective, I actually really like the subtle, clean (and NOT un-masculine) scent of this cream. I've actually caught my wife sniffing my badger brush and shave cream bowl (and I admit I often do the same). This product provides a great, smooth shave, with very good lather, and at a very reasonable price. I also like it better than Col. Conk as it doesn't melt with hot water, and I actually think it smells better. I haven't tried the other lower cost, available locally product, Williams, but I like the Van Der Hagen so much, there's no reason to go further.

Additionally, it can be found locally at a slightly higher price, but you don't have to pay shipping, buy in bulk, or wait for it to arrive in the mail. I've seen it at CVS, Walgreen, Target and Wal-mart. GREAT PRODUCT.

Battle for Mortain: The 30th Infantry Division Saves the Breakout, August 7-12, 1944
by Alwyn Featherston
34 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Detail not found elsewhere, September 30, 2009
My uncle was a Staff Sgt / Squad Leader of a 57mm Anti-Tank gun who was killed near the end of this battle, and have sought out every mention of this event in WWII histories too numerous to name, and have spoken with numerous veterans of the 30th Infantry Division ... all participants in the battle. I can tell you from experience that if you have a specific interest in this battle, there is no more thoroughly researched, detailed and accurate account of this battle than is contained in this book.

Also, if you want to look into a lesser-known WWII battle that has not been popularized and written about as much as others, but is truly a reflection of the courage, tenacity and innovation of American fighting men and units, then you will enjoy this as you would a new and undiscovered movie. I promise that if this is your first detailed look at this battle, you will be surprised given the minimal mention of this battle in print, and yet the relative importance of this action on the Battle for France ... possibly due to the fact that it relates to a relatively small unit - the 30th Infantry Division.

Because of the scope and scale of WWII, we often are used to reading in broader histories brief mention of significant actions. For example, books on the entire war do not mention this battle, and others focused on Western Europe may have, at most, a paragraph or less on the Battle of Mortain. We read books and watch movies about the Battle of the Bulge and Pearl Harbor over and over, but haven't even heard about such a key battle that ultimately resulted in maintaining Patton's drive to the Seine, facilitated the capture and destruction of the German 7th Army in the Falaise Pocket, and absorbed Hitler's last great counter-attack in France. Over 1,000 men of the 30th ID gave their lives near Mortain, France over 6 days - it deserves more than a paragraph, and if you are interested in WWII history, you owe this book a look.

Finally, some broad histories, in attempting to shoe-horn in mention of this critical battle, often minimize the courage of the men of the 30th ID by primarily mentioning the impact of air support, or the impact of ULTRA decryptions giving warning of the counter-attack (Mr. Featherstone demonstrates in this book that the troops on the ground did not know the attack was coming, nor were they adequately supplied or positioned for the counter-attack). Leave no doubt, as Mr. Featherstone details in this book, without the courage and sacrifice of these fine young men caught facing 4 German divisions, no amount of air support or ULTRA decryptions would have prevented a costly outcome for the Allies in Normandy, and ultimately a lengthing of the Battle for France.

Christmas Card List Book
Christmas Card List Book
9 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to track Christmas Cards sent & received, December 21, 2005
This review is from: Christmas Card List Book (Unbound)
This is the best "low-tech" solution to maintaining a record of sent and received Christmas Cards, including addresses, and space to record 12 years of history. This item is out of print, but a similar (maybe a later printing) is available on Miles Kimball web site for $9.99 + 3.99 shipping. Better than buying the 19989/90 version for $75+ from a used book store.